Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Shadowrun 5th edition PbP OOC Thread [6/6] Waitlist open.  (Read 13780 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Shadowrun 5th edition PbP OOC Thread [6/6] Waitlist open.
« on: June 21, 2016, 04:59:49 pm »

Link to PDF collection
Link to Discord
Link to IC thread

Hoi Chummers. For a while I've been playing Shadowrun, but recently it has dried up in my area and I'm finding myself up shit creek without a paddle. So I've decided to take a chance and try to GM it. I'm going to run it play by post here on the forums, mostly for my benefit, but also for yours, as it will allow me to flesh out the setting more and put in more fluff/allow for more RP. For those of you who don't know what Shadowrun is...

Shadowrun is collapsing a skyscraper for the insurance payout.
Shadowrun is puddles of rain mixed with gas, illuminated by a oil drum fire at which a troll huddles.
Shadowrun is putting on a gasmask as the knock out gas you piped into the vents triggers.
Shadowrun is punching a spirit in the face.
Shadowrun is hacking on the fly as the corporate spider launches IC at you in the Matrix.

If you're a sucker for dictionary definitions...
Quote from: WorldWide WordWatch 2050 archive
SHADOWRUN
>noun
Any movement, action, or series of such made in carrying out plans which are illegal or quasilegal.

Shadowrun takes place in the so called "Sixth World" or Earth, year 2077. In the year 2011, magic returned to the world. Violently. It was a normal every day commute for people riding the Japanese bullet train. Until a Great Dragon flew past their window. That was the end of our society as we know it. The short story is widespread ecological, social, and economical collapse paved a new future. A dystopian future where megacorporations and the remains of governments worldwide clash heads for the control of our slowly dying planet. Where magic lead to Elves, Trolls, Orcs, and Dwarves to reappear. Where HMHVV, a virus can change you into a vampire or a goblin, or even worse. Where Dragons are not something you get a quest to kill, but are insanely intelligent and nearly impossible to kill, and run Megacorporations or entire nations. For those of you more interested in the fucked up backstory, the timeline is fascinating, and the primer is also nice, even if it's a little outdated(it was made for the 2050's and it's the 2070's now.)

But thematically, Shadowrun is very different to your DnD's and Pathfinders. I'll outline the main differences here.

Spoiler: You are not Special (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Characters Die (click to show/hide)

The game has started, but people can still sign up to be in the waitlist to replace runners that get a forced retirement. Check out the discord linked in the post, and I'll keep a waitlist down here. Once you hand me a sheet that works you'll be in the waitlist.
Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:01:58 am by werty892 »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun 5th edition PbP intrest check.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 05:10:52 pm »

Hello my dear friend I'm ATH and I'm interested my experience with this kind of thing is mainly forum games on this very forum and most of them don't involve much numbers but shadowrun to me has always been fairly intresting both in things I've seen on YouTube and I've read so I'd b happy to join! I typically play kinda hopeful character's and I think I'm going to go with that for this but they're going to be more delusional and naive then truly hopeful.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 06:40:56 pm »

Hello my dear friend I'm ATH and I'm interested my experience with this kind of thing is mainly forum games on this very forum and most of them don't involve much numbers but shadowrun to me has always been fairly intresting both in things I've seen on YouTube and I've read so I'd b happy to join! I typically play kinda hopeful character's and I think I'm going to go with that for this but they're going to be more delusional and naive then truly hopeful.
Sounds good. I threw up a Discord for people interested to chat in. If anyone has questions, they can feel free to hop in.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 07:02:39 pm »

The interest is here, contained within me.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 08:11:57 pm »

I am interested. My RPG experience is a handful of fleeting homebrew games and some not so heavily diced forum games. I have a mostly sound knowledge of turn structure and how many RPGs work on a mechanics basis. But, I have never played Shadowrun.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:37:01 am by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 08:18:14 pm »

I am interested, but can't do discord on any sort of regular basis. Can I still be in?
Sure. That's more for OOC questions and me helping people with their characters. That's not where the actual game will be going down.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 10:28:22 pm »

((Snip))
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:38:21 pm by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:42:01 pm »

Interested~.

Alright, now that I am off my phone:

But enough waxing about shadowun. If you're interested in playing, drop a post with your previous RPG experience and why you're interested. Complete newbies to Shadowrun and RPG's are welcome, you'll just have to work harder to catch up. I'll probably set up a discord and stuff to help with character creation, and we will be using the expansions to the core rules. For experienced players, I'm going to try to have this be black trenchcoat, with wetwork/difficult topics. But I'll go easy on people for the first couple of runs to get people in the swing of things, since I expect some amount of newbies. But for now, this is just a interest check. I think I'll go with 5 people, but 6 is possible. So yes, to rehash, It's a dark, fragged up world chummers. Interested? Drop me a line.

I've been forum RPGing for maybe six-seven years now (doesn't mean I am any good at it :P) for general experience, GMing fairly often (many not taking off, often due to my own procrastination :P). For shadow-run specific, I've heard/read about the setting a bit and skimmed a rulebook once (might have been fifth edition, no promises there.) I don't remember being crazy about the mechanics, though I have always been interested in the "magic/fantasy stuff+guns" type of stories, and have been looking for one of these to take off. I'll probably end up playing a shooty Sammy or Adept who naps while everyone else is black-trenchcoating and saves their buts when they inevitably mess up :P.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:15:31 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 02:50:42 am »

5th edition is much easier to make a character in and the checks are simpler.  If you start with a good concept it is easy to build around.

I would be glad to join, have a couple different characters I was kicking around with but never really got into a game.

The Rulebook can be bought online at rpg drive through if you don't have a physical version or some people could walk you through it, it is pretty easy to make a skeleton character then fiddle around a bit till you like what you got, though the item list might be an issue.

Edit:  You could start out as a penniless hobo though!

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 01:06:17 pm »

Alright gents. Here's how it's going down. Firstly, have a link to my collection of Shadowrun Rulebook PDF's. I've divided them into 4 categories.

CORE:These ones you should read, no matter what your role.
Imporant: Generally useful but you won't die if you don't read them.
Optional: Most of these deal with expansions to specific play styles, for example Rigger 5 talks about riggers, Data trails about deckers and technomancers, Shadow Spells about well, more spells, and Chrome Flesh about cyber and bioware. Look through them and see if you spot anything you like. You should read the one appropriate to your archetype.
Just for Fun: Like the title, they're just in there if you're interested.

So. Character creation. How this will work is that we'll be using a handy dandy program called Chummer5. This makes making characters easy since it automates all the number crunching and such for you and makes sure you don't break any rules. When you have a couple of hours free, come on the Discord and ping me by doing @Werty and I'll walk you through the steps if you're new. For our experienced players, We're using standard Priority and I am banning the use of other metacreatures/types without my approval. You'll have to have a really good reason beyond stats to play any metatype other than the standard. And Pixies are explicitly banned, period. All books included can be used in char creation. If I forgot one, then fell free to mention it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 01:40:07 pm »

Rigger also has alot of cool vehicles for just about anyone.

Hey, Werty, we the six limb thing or the drone modification stuff from Rigger? What about any of the house rules Chummer has? Also, I see there are a few books I have my mitts on that arent listed there, want me to throw them at you?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 02:54:34 pm »

IN!

Reading OP...
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 03:03:38 pm »

I would be interested

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 03:47:16 pm »

I am also interested.

IRL I've played and GMed something like 6 or 7 games of varying length, primarily D&D 3.5, with about four sessions played of Shadowrun 4A.

Online I've been a part of something like 4 games of different flavors D&D 3.5 and one game of this indie game that I can't remember what it was called. They tended to fizzle out due to GM issues and all but the Indie game were pbp, the exception being on Roll20.

Is there a preferred time zone for this to run in?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 04:13:08 pm »

I am also interested.

IRL I've played and GMed something like 6 or 7 games of varying length, primarily D&D 3.5, with about four sessions played of Shadowrun 4A.

Online I've been a part of something like 4 games of different flavors D&D 3.5 and one game of this indie game that I can't remember what it was called. They tended to fizzle out due to GM issues and all but the Indie game were pbp, the exception being on Roll20.

Is there a preferred time zone for this to run in?
It's going to be play by post. But don't worry, I'm aware of the fizzle. I might take a break sometimes but I won't ditch people for no reason.

EVERYONE WHO'S INTERESTED SHOULD HOP ON THE DISCORD, IT'S THE BEST PLACE TO REACH ME FOR QUESTIONS. For experienced players you can feel free to start making your chars. I can't guarantee you'll get in, I'll be picking the best chars from that pool. For people who have no idea what they're doing in Shadowrun, hop on the Discord when you have a couple of hours and I'll walk you through it.

Standard rules for character creation. No house rules, 6 limbs, system is Priority with max availability of 12.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:16:42 pm by werty892 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8