Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 115136 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #405 on: April 25, 2018, 11:24:08 am »

Are there any good ARPG/MMO style loot pinata games out there for android? I'm thinking of something like Diablo or WoW.

I'd rather play a payed game than a free to play one, if possible, unless the freemium aspect isn't too obnoxious. I tried Eternium, which looked decent, but I felt like I was constantly being prompted to spend premium currency to enjoy the game.

I saw Titan Quest was available, which would probably fit the bill but sadly my devices aren't supported.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 25, 2018, 11:41:20 am »

Did you try out Exiled Kingdoms yet? It's not quite as spectacular as Diablo or Titan Quest, but it's a quite decent and expansive ARPG all things considered. The free version is basically just a demo of the full game, with a smaller total game world and only two of the four classes available, but no ads or microtransactions or such.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 26, 2018, 10:17:48 am »

I got fed up with the games in the Android app store and installed iDosbox and a bunch of DOS games on my phone.

Some have interfaces that work really well. Master of Magic, for instance, which I've installed the Caster of Magic mod/patch into to make it stable and challenging. Turns take a while to process, but I can keep it split screen with other apps.

I also installed the lost tribe, civ 1 (I think MoM is better), conquest of the new world (I've never played this before and it's not obvious how to, so I need to RTFM I guess), global effect (a strategy game in which what you and your opponent do affects the environment), no greater glory (an American civil war simulator complete with politics and supply logistics), iron seed (I've never played this before), cyber empires (not sure if this is good yet - it's basically a strategic conquest mech tbs), warlords, warlords 2 deluxe, master of Orion 2 with the latest unofficial patch (which takes up more space than everything else combined), SimCity (playable), SimCity 2000 (less playable since it requires click-and-hold to choose things on the tool palette), and star control 1 (potentially playable since there's a utility to remap the keys included with the game).

So mostly turn based strategy games. I think the only ones that aren't are the two SimCity games and star control.

I'm also considering putting alien legacy and Starflight 1 and 2 on here, but both AL and Starflight 1 seemed kind of tedious with the searching planets for stuff.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 27, 2018, 04:08:24 am »

+1 exiled kingdoms. It's basically a sort of...Diablo made in a not-so-great game engine of the mid 90s, but it's pretty good fun. It's quite quest oriented and there's loads to do. Whilst it's not the best ARPG made, it's a brilliant time killer - probably one of the best I've played on the phone.

I think a lot of why it's so good is that the dev has obviously gone to make an ARPG game and decided to have mobile as the platform, rather than decided to make a mobile game which happens to be an ARPG. No micro transactions, ads or anything - just a one off payment for the full game. It's still being developed and whilst some areas are a bit samey, there's always quests/stuff to do.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 29, 2018, 07:23:12 pm »

Totally recommend getting MagicDosbox or TurboDosbox (I use the former) for running dos programs on Android. Being able to setup custom mouse controls and even keyboard shortcuts with an overlay is amazing. Not only managed to get SC2000 into a perfectly playable state, I even got a really old dos version of DoomRL into a perfectly playable game too. One of the few roguelikes that you can get by with only 15 or so keyboard buttons on your touchscreen, fortunately.

Sure, they're paid apps, but they're worth every penny so you can play all your old dos games properly. Even RTS games are doable by making a few "assign control group/select control group" buttons on your overlay.

MagicDosbox is a bit fiddly to get used to how to do things, but once you do, it's very powerful. Others have recommend TurboDosbox, but I like the huge flexibility that touchscreen overlays give (although the relational mouse support in TDB is supposedly better).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:35:06 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 30, 2018, 09:25:11 am »

Thanks for the exiled kingdom recommendation. The UI was a bit cumbersome on my tablet but it seemed perfectly suited for my phone. There are settings to adjust the UI  so I may try it on the bigger screen again. I haven't put enough time into it yet to see if I'll buy the game but it definitely was the sort of game that I was looking for.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 02, 2018, 03:56:36 pm »

Thanks for the exiled kingdom recommendation. The UI was a bit cumbersome on my tablet but it seemed perfectly suited for my phone. There are settings to adjust the UI  so I may try it on the bigger screen again. I haven't put enough time into it yet to see if I'll buy the game but it definitely was the sort of game that I was looking for.

Yeah the UI is a bit clunky on tablet, although the dev is apparently releasing an update which will better support tablets/bigger screens (and he's been reliable with updates so far).

I wouldn't expect anything truly ground breaking, but it's the best of that sort of game for mobile. It does get steadily better as well, as it becomes a bit more tactical/have to think about things a bit more and it has a pretty good difficulty slope.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 02, 2018, 04:33:44 pm »

I just made the mistake of not realizing that rogues should really, really be geared towards ranged combat.

I've got a mad flailing of buttons that can zip in and annihilate most anyone in a single blast, but it's single target and I've got nothing to deal with all of his friends...

Basically every marginally challenging encounter devolves into me stealthing in, nuking someone, then zig-zagging away until I lose aggro and can just wait for everything to recharge.

Traps are great though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 15, 2018, 05:30:44 pm »

Any good game listers/aggregators/search engines for apple store that I can use to look for games? The App Store editor picks is pretty limiting and they don’t update the categories very often.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 20, 2018, 12:13:22 pm »

*bump* anybody?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 28, 2018, 01:13:56 pm »

Night of the Full Moon plays kind of like a Slay the Spire... I'm sort of iffy on its core direction right now though; I'm drawing 2 cards per turn with a pool of 10, so it really feels like RNG here since it basically consists of throwing whatever I pull at the enemy. The other classes may work out better, but, as is, it still sits in the "has potential, keep an eye on it" category.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 28, 2018, 05:13:02 pm »

Card draw becomes much less of an issue as you pickup draw cards and gain some levels. You do basically throw everything out every time you draw but there's some play order and deck building and all your normal card game stuff going on.

Definitely a pretty neat game. Very much does feel a lot like someone did a tales grimm take on a mobile designed slay the spire. Currently seems to be on sale for the low price of nothing, too, which is great.

... if sorta' brutally fucking difficult after the second or so boss holy hell. Don't fight devils (Kinda' forgot to check if it lasts post fight, but the bastards have a card that will chunk off 10 points from your max hp), probably don't fight headless horsemen if you deck is particularly unbalanced, don't fight yetis, probably don't fight toad prophets, question fighting those bouncy demon things unless you're tank as hell or can destroy 130+ hp at the quickness because they will spit 20-30+ damage per turn regularly, jesus fuck that level ten treeboss and its easy 50+ damage per turn and might-as-well-be-infinite mana (you're unlikely to have over 100 hp at that point so you basically have two to three turns to burn through 170(+, if it throws up shields) hp or you die).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 28, 2018, 06:29:08 pm »

Yeah, I just got to the Dairy Queen (boss2) and it's already making me frown. Almost twice my HP, constantly pumping out ice shield, and dropping hits that do a quarter of my health every other turn... I can take out half her health I'm the opening turn, but the rest of the battle? Landed six damage.

...Also, love my autocorrect, tweaking her name.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 28, 2018, 07:03:26 pm »

Actually just won a run, heh. Ranger, lucked into finding sprint (action card, standard one cost but gives 3 AP and 3 draw, stupidly good target for imitation) mostly... by the end boss I was running through my entire 17(?) card deck every round. Still got ate once by the end boss and a few other times along the way, but hey!

... that saaaaiiidd, yeah, some of it is RNG as hell. No condition end boss actually has a mechanic where you have to choose from three options each round... which can range anywhere from heal yourself for 10 HP to heal the boss for 90% of the damage you did last round, make it invincible for a turn, drop 2(? iirc) of whatever you draw, etc. First attempt I died round three, second I didn't lose half my health before it died, despite basically playing identically each time.

Still fairly enjoyable, but damn if it's not very much hella' luck based right now.

Also the monkey third chapter boss is much, much less dangerous than the tree was. Still kinda' nasty, but its heaviest attack is HP based and fairly rare, whereas the tree just spews jackassery everywhere and has like three 10-20+ damage cards, multiple draw cards, and the ability to actually double-turn on you. Balance is all goddamn over the place, ahaha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 29, 2018, 12:21:53 am »

So one thing I'm noticing is that each level has at least a few bosses; I haven't fought the same boss twice yet.

Up to the fourth level, the nun is way easier than the witch...going with a prayer build just sort of turns you into a walking time bomb; stacking devotion just dumps accelerant on the fuse.

Edit: Okay, yeah, the no-condition boss is BS. It isn't a 90% heal of the damage you did last round... it's 90% of the damage it's taken. Which means you basically have to kill it in like 8 turns or you're not going to kill it at all. And, considering my nun build is basically a master of attrition*... yeah. No. Ain't happenin'.

*The angry bear was the easiest boss ever, for me. Despite how it's designed to shred builds where you just spam cards, I could easily outheal it to the point I beat it with about 30 points of shield.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:05:55 am by Aoi »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 57