Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 113964 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #420 on: May 29, 2018, 01:02:04 am »

Still on sale for the right price (free), so I'll check it out.
It's a game. Have fun.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 29, 2018, 05:30:37 am »

I got to the croc boss on my first run as a Knight. Was pretty fun, but it's really irritating how some fights you just wait forever because the entirety of the enemy deck is chip damage draw and a handful of heavy hitting cards, so you just sit there while he draws his entire deck and then punches you for some 20 damage.

The knight class is pretty neat in how you stack a bunch of different equipment and then use the battleaxe to throw out a fuckton of basic attacks which all trigger your equipment to deal even more damage. Reminds me a bit of shiv based decks in slay the spire.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 29, 2018, 05:48:04 pm »

Very slightly off-topic, but Siralim 3 just went into early access on Steam a couple days ago. I put over 200 hours into Siralim 2 on my phone, so I'm pretty excited about the sequel showing up already.

AFAIK, there should be shared cloud saves with the Android/IOS versions once they come out (just like Siralim 2). No ETA on the mobile versions yet, but they are confirmed to be happening.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 30, 2018, 12:32:58 am »

Dungeon Cards has gotten some interesting updates in the last few weeks (months?); I'd have to put it ahead of Look, Your Loot! now, despite the latter being the original inspiration. Partly due to the hideous advertising and ridiculously annoying update structure implemented a few months ago.

... if sorta' brutally fucking difficult after the second or so boss holy hell. Don't fight devils (Kinda' forgot to check if it lasts post fight, but the bastards have a card that will chunk off 10 points from your max hp), ... probably don't fight toad prophets

I fought a King Toadstool (or something...) which has a Vampire (or something...) card that drained mHP and I got it back at the end of the fight, so, as far as it goes for nuns, it's a non-issue. Also, toad prophets are easy for nuns; they totally chunked my witch though. Is their dialogue required for the third choice? The text about what the requirements are got truncated on my system.

Very slightly off-topic, but Siralim 3 just went into early access on Steam a couple days ago.

I'm just going to assume that you wear hammer pants and play on a tiny netbook, so, yes, it is perfectly on-topic to pocket games. :D

Is Siralim 3 supposed to be pretty much the same as Siralim 2 with More!, much like how that was basically the case from Siralim to Siralim 2 (in all the best ways)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:36:11 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 30, 2018, 03:32:36 am »

Is Siralim 3 supposed to be pretty much the same as Siralim 2 with More!, much like how that was basically the case from Siralim to Siralim 2 (in all the best ways)

From what I've read on the website (http://thylacinestudios.com/siralim3/faq.php) - absolutely that.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed. I enjoyed Siralim 2 a lot for what it was, but I don't think there needs to be just Siralim 2-but-more. Looking at the screenshots, there's nothing new, just more of the same. This seems more like it should just be a patch rather than a whole new game.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 31, 2018, 12:32:17 am »

Hades’ Star is a fairly interesting Sci-fi RTS-ish? Game. You build bases and do things like deliver goods using transport ships. The overall game is based on hexes that behave like zones. There are instances areas known as Red Giants, which are short-lived areas where players can fight NPC ships and retrieve artifacts.

Haven’t gotten into the game enough to really look at it, but it’s worth a try.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 31, 2018, 02:07:37 am »

Arcane Straight has fairly simple mechanics that blends a few basic genres and has proven to be interesting enough for a few days...

Basic gameplay is sort of like P&D, in that you've got a universal HP pool and you're bashing down waves of monsters. Then you've got a layer of 3-Card Poker going on, where you're trying to use a hand of 4/5/6 cards, to make the most powerful 3 card attack (more on that later). And then, each card has its own attributes that you're upgrading and getting upgraded versions of the way you'd expect from a micropay game.

Okay, so the interesting bit is with your cards/units. There's three 'schools', where they basically specialize in direct damage, utility, and healing. Each school has three basic types (the utility one basically has the icons of skull/hat/staff, whatever they're actually called). Each type in each school has an elemental type of fire/water/wood. 3 schools, 3 types per school, 3 elements, you've got 27 different basic units. On top of that, you can draw rare units that slot into this grid, replacing basic units. (You can switch back if you prefer, though I haven't seen a reason to use a basic over any upgraded unit.) A good combo has multipliers that stack up-- all the same type is like 5x, all three elements is 2x, so together they inflict/restore 10x, on top of .5/1/2x elemental modifiers. (Or something; I'm on mobile data and a big update just came up so I can't check the exact numbers.) You use 3 cards each turn (or you can just burn one), and excluding the tutorial phase, you'll have a hand of at least 5 cards to work with.

...Yeah, it sounds kind of like a mess, but it isn't that bad.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 04, 2018, 03:54:20 pm »

Sdorica, by Rayark, who tends to have pretty good audio [I thought they were exclusively rhythm games...] and art, with being no exception... has released something towards the RPG genre. And: Despite looking exactly like something that should have an energy system? It doesn't.

Slot a team of three into fixed roles (ostensibly tank/damage/healer, but not all characters fit neatly into that role for the slot...) plus 'advisors' that act as passives/specials, start a stage, enter combat. Combat is turn-based, with enemy attacks on a countdown system. Your own attacks are where it gets interesting-- gold/black/white orbs flow in on a 2xSomething grid, with color determining which member acts, and what action depending on if you use a 1-orb, 1x2-orb, or 2x2-orb combo. The combos can get fairly interesting-- your starter tank is a straight up damage dealer with pretty good durability. However, my first new tank would immediately trigger the first enemy's attack (and also resetting its CD), gain taunt for any other enemies attacking that turn, counter any hits received to the first enemy, and also get increased evasion.

There's a gacha system, but it doesn't seem too bad. Few days in, I've gotten maybe 30 free draws, plus enough cashshop currency for 30 more. (250 paid draws on the normal gacha gives you a free max-tier unit of your choice, it says.)  You upgrade your units by either drawing higher versions of them or grinding materials used to promote (one of which is a unit-specific item, obtainable via dailies or draws). Another nice touch: You get banked experience that you can use to power level other characters, so it's trivial to bring them up to speed.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 06, 2018, 08:35:24 am »

Sdorica, by Rayark...

I started playing this after you posted. I only have a few hours so far, but this game definitely has some meat on it's bones. Interesting art style, slightly unique gameplay mechanics, and a good mixture of story progression and side-quests/events to keep me busy.

I'm currently running Karnulla as my tank. I pulled him as SR rank from a 10-draw, so he has an ability unlocked which counterattacks every time he is attacked. His basic ability also taunts and raises his evasion, making a very effective combo.
Tica is my healer. Her basic heal also buffs attack power, which only further empowers my counterattack-tank.
I've not yet found a dps who really compliments this set, so I'm currently using Fatima, who is just generic armor-piercing damage. I'm a sucker for catgirls.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 06, 2018, 01:55:52 pm »

Fatima's an interesting black-- she hits front, back, and weak (and really hard!), so she's handy for when there's a blocker in the front. I like using Dagger though, who does a lot of AP damage and, at SR and above, can delay the frontline. If you ever get his costume, he can permanently lock down the frontline.

I like Karnulla too; if you take Angelia as your assistant (particularly at SSR), he's practically invincible. I'm thinking Crushfang though-- his 1orb is an aoe. Also, Team Teddybear!

Hestia or Angelia for me-- the former is a great healer (and combo her with assistant Tica for even more endurance) or Angelia for extra damage. She's better with a healing support though, like Lio. A high-ranked Puggi also seems interesting to use with Dagger, but mine's still baseline.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 14, 2018, 10:07:07 am »

I've been putting a lot of time into Dragon Village M lately.
It's basically a game of watching your team of dragons trade fireballs with waves of enemies, and occasionally intervening to spend some mana for a power-move. The power-moves can also be left to auto-play if desired, and the AI is usually sufficient for most grinding purposes.
The bulk of actual human intervention comes in the form of strategic preparation; sifting through piles of newly hatched dragons, studying their active and passive skillsets, and deciding which ones to throw into your active teams immediately, which ones to save for later, and which ones to sacrifice as fodder to empower other dragons.
Dragon Village M also borrows the Runes system pioneered(to the best of my knowledge) by Summoner's Wars. This is something I've actually seen incorporated into a large number of games lately. For those unfamiliar, these runes essentially act as equipment from any other RPG, boosting your unit's stats directly and also through set bonuses. What stands out about the rune system is that specific rune slots and sets can be acquired from specific story levels, making it relatively simple to farm the pieces you want in order to min-max your units. It creates a good balance of grinding and progression, so that you can see your units getting noticeably stronger after almost every battle.
Dragon Village M does have a cash-shop, but it is extremely generous with the rewards from daily quests and regular events, allowing free players to effectively compete with whales with only moderate time and effort invested.

I've also been playing a bit of Honkai Impact 3rd.
This is an action game, and easily the best I've seen on a mobile device. Both in terms of graphics and gameplay, it's as good as they come.
Gameplay involves mashing the attack button in combos which vary between different characters, timing a dodge-button to avoid damage and launch a counterattack, accumulating mana for power-moves, and swapping between active characters to take advantage of a paper-rock-scissors systems.
There are a variety of characters to unlock, level, equip, and learn their movesets. Regular events to farm, lengthy story mode to explore.
There's also fan-service, with all of the characters being female, and most wearing skin-tight outfits with plunging necklines. You've been warned.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 14, 2018, 10:16:31 pm »

Great. So I decided to have a look at this (downloading now), and fell down the weird whacky hole that is anime games. Now my "suggested for you" and "based on your recent installs" is full anime love story RPGs instead of shoot'emups, roguelikes and quirky indy titles. Goddammit! And I know they'll probably never ever go away.....

This had better be worth it :)

I did find Dungeons & Girls though. It's like the cutesy anime fanservice version of BuriedBornes. Only played one game of it, but it's not too bad if you like card dungeon crawlers. Mostly comes down to managing resources, picking when to skip or fight monsters (your cards are both attacks and movement, with bigger attacks giving more movement, thus easier fight skipping, as opposed to BuriedBornes "choose your dungeon path" system). Skipping fights also means less levels, so less skills/upgrades and passives available for later fights, so it's a trade off.

In all, I think it will just come down to a companion levelling grindfest, and while there is some strategy involved, it's nowhere near a complicated as BuriedBorne's "make the ultimate skill combo" deck. So it's just simpler and cuter. It's not bad, but I can't really say it's great either. Check it out if you like that kinda stuff. Apparently has a fair amount of character and companion combos, so there is a bit of long-term playability, and it has no stamina system, so if you're bored one day, give it a burl.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:36:48 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 14, 2018, 11:36:01 pm »

I probably should have mentioned that 'the best action game I've seen on a mobile device' is a pretty low bar. None of the others I've tried left much of an impression on me at all. Compared to a proper console or PC action game, Honkai Impact is decent at best.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 15, 2018, 07:36:23 am »

Bought Pixel Dungeons, my first ever mobule game purchase. It’s alright I suppose. But i don’t feel like playing it for longer stretches, not like DC:SS. Can anyone recommend a more cerebral game experience on mobile? Something that you can play for longer stints that doesn’t feel like a screen tapping, brain drain exercise? Or at least an RPG with a little more depth to it? I’ve looked at Siralim and am still on the fence about it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:48:16 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 15, 2018, 11:05:07 am »

I didn't realize Pixel Dungeon was a payed app now. Are the variants still free? Back when I played it Shattered Pixel Dungeon was considered one of the better ones if you're interested in trying another variant of the same game. I doubt any of them would add the depth you're looking for though.

I don't really have a lot of good suggestions for RPGs in particular.  I have played Siralim 2, but it never really clicked for me, but if it's a title that interests you it might be worth waiting for the third installment. I do have some for meatier suggestions for payed games though.

I have found that the more engaging and cerebral games on mobile have been digital board games. Through the Ages is probably the best one I have played, in theme it is very much like Civilization. Card drafting and resource management are some of the core mechanics. I have played it on phone and tablet, the tablet is better because the cards are more readable in their zoomed out view, but it is still playable on a smaller phone screen. You can play VS the AI, or vs other players in multiplayer (I think it also supports asynchronous multiplayer). It also has many challenge modes available which have kept me coming back to the game.

Another board game is Antihero. This one is a little different in that it was designed as a video game and not a digital implementation of an already existing physical boardgame. It is not as heavy as Through the Ages, but there is still enough meat there for it to be interesting. I should mention I have only played the PC version though. I just picked up the android version to play on my phone, but haven't tried it yet. I have no doubt that its user interface would translate well to a tablet sized screen, but if you play on a phone it might be worth looking to see what people think of the interface usability.

A couple other boardgames that I have enjoyed are Lords of Waterdeep and Galaxy Trucker.

If it's the narrative elements that you enjoy in RPGs then a couple games that come to mind are King of Dragon Pass and the Banner Saga series. You're probably already familiar with the titles from PC gaming, but if you haven't played them I feel like they have adapted very well to the mobile format. Though I don't know if the Banner Saga runs on phones, it definitely doesn't on mine (but mine is quite old). It runs well on my tablet though.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 57