Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 114986 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #435 on: June 15, 2018, 11:42:31 am »

Thanks for the suggestions.

KoDP I’ve played a ton of on PC. With Six Ages coming soon I don’t think I’m in a hurry to pay for it again on a mobile device.

Banner Saga would have to run on my phone, I’ll check in to it.

I’ll look in to the board games as well, although I tend to find most board games too transparent to keep my attention for long. (Friends are what make board games for me.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 15, 2018, 05:49:13 pm »

Yeah, vis a vis siralim, if you're interested, wait for three to hit mobile release. If it's anything like 2 (and near as I've noticed, it is), it is/will be a straight upgrade on pretty much every front compared to its predecessor. Zero reason to play two if three is accessible, just like there's no reason to play one if you can get 2.

... suggestion wise I ain't got much. SpaceBattleshipStoryRPG, maybe? Pretty sure it's one word. Not sure how meaty or cerebral I'd call it, but it's probably the most true to source giant robot space armada simulator I think I've ever encountered.

You might poke through kemco's stuff. Most of it's pretty generic jrpgs, but they can be oddly engaging.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 15, 2018, 08:08:10 pm »

If you don't mind a moble'ish near auto-battle everything that's a bit grindy and FF-like, I found RagnaQuest to be fairly simple to pick up when I was d/ling Honkai 3. Think cutesy anime fanservice FF, with a Norse god bent, and some fairly silly/funny writing for the story line.

Heaps of load screens (ie: every damn screen, it's online connection only), but sort of nice in a way. Very mobile'ish, in exactly as bad of a mould that this entails, but kinda cool in some ways as well.

For actual roguelikes, I still can't recommend Pathos: the Nethack Codex enough. It's like Nethack, but on mobile, and is very good for being so. Full in-game help (no wikis needed), helpful active developer that actually responds to suggestions, really good touchscreen interface, plenty of class/race combos for easy/hard challenges, just enough NH weirdness that it's certainly not a roguelite, and it even has online multi-player. Yep. Pathos is the full conversation on what a good mobile roguelike is.

Or you could try Caves (weird pre-grind needed for an actual run though). Or Cardinal Quest 2 (mini-ToME4). Shattered Pixel Dungeon is nice for a roguelite too. Even MinDungeon is kinda OK if you want a rogue-superlite, with a bit of a desktop dungeons style challenge behind it.

Or try Event Horizon if you want a Star Control 2 random thing/loot grind (totally not a roguelike, but I have sunk a silly amount of time into that thing, and it's got a fair bit of randomness to it. I'm at the point where it's new save file time though, because other than a bit of loot grind, I'm too damn powerful against anything that isn't just the "end game" wall of HP at higher distances. It's probably better described as a SC2/Diablo2/Stardrive mash-up, with next to no storyline, but is still awesome for all that. Get all the stuff. And make extreme-death-ships from it. It's fun). It has the reverse of permadeath (ie: you can't actually lose, so it's like softcore d2 in that regard), but it's a nice little thing that you'll be able to eventually grind your way into Deathstar levels of glory with. So many loots and ship options. Oh, and it can be pretty hands-off too once you've got a few autopilot modules, if you just want to see your ships zipping around zapping stuff. It's totally worth the persistence on this one. No connection needed, free-to-play, "make your own ships" Star Control 2 loot grind. Yay!

Oh, and played a bit of Honkai 3rd Impact. You're right. It's good. Sort of a Arkham Asylum'ish combat system feel to it, but very simplified so you can use it on mobile, with enough of a grind/progression system in place so that you feel like you're doing stuff. Won't say it's the best action beat'emup ever, but it is very good for a mobile title for what it does.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:02:14 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 15, 2018, 10:16:43 pm »

I went looking for Shattered Pixel Dungeons on the App Store before posting in the thread and didn't find it, even though it readily appeared in the autocomplete. Maybe I didn't delve deep enough but by the 10th result I was no where near PD anymore.

And like a rube I assumed the paid version would be one of the more complete/featured ones.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 16, 2018, 09:16:50 am »

Gonna put in another recommendation for Honkai Impact 3rd.

It's mobileish-ness (energy system, premium currency and premium currency gacha are the main ways they appear) is relatively light for, well, a mobile game, each of the characters has something that makes them unique (they're not just the same girl in different costumes, they also attack differently, have different Ultimate skills and combos, etc.), and the gameplay itself is is smooth and simple enough to work on mobile.

All that meansmeans that as far as free mobile beat-'em-ups go, it is quite good.

The low bar mobile games have (mentioned by Folly earlier) means that its quality is all the more noticeable, and, well, what I've seen so far has won me over, to be honest.

Hell, a number of recent AAA games (though admittedly it's quite easy to find terrible or otherwise mediocre AAA games to lambast these days) means that "decent" here is, well...

It's a breath of fresh air. May in fact be from an oxygen tank, but it still outstrips immensely crowded elevator air by a huge margin.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 16, 2018, 09:19:03 pm »

Now if only Kiana can dial down her obnoxiousness slightly...
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 17, 2018, 01:09:10 am »

Event Horizon kind of needs a more robust information system. I feel like there's more to it that isn't immediately obvious, but I can't quite dig my way to it.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 17, 2018, 08:47:56 am »

Wait, bought? It's free (as in cost, on Android anyways). It's also open source and there are a million modified versions.

I tried playing DCSS on my phone recently but it seemed mostly unplayable. I couldn't figure out how to do important things, I had to keep a keyboard up all the time, I couldn't find any in game help, etc. (It probably didn't help that the ? key is entirely missing from hackers keyboard (which the app recommended) in portrait mode and I couldn't see most of the display in landscape.

Note: I have never played DCSS before.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 23, 2018, 07:03:37 pm »

Event Horizon kind of needs a more robust information system. I feel like there's more to it that isn't immediately obvious, but I can't quite dig my way to it.

God yes. But where to begin. I'd say "check the wiki", but I don't think that really explains a lot either, it just kind of tells you the stats of parts. I'll write a proper guide one day, but it'll be LONG.

Here's the wiki:
https://event-horizon.wikia.com/wiki/Event_Horizon_Wiki

So where to begin? Ummm....

This can be the "making your first ship, with starting bits" guide.
-------------

The first thing you do is go to Settings on the main menu, and click on the New Game icon. This unlocks all the starting bits of your initial ships (don't ask me why).

Then start a new game.

Don't worry about the initial training. It teaches you nothing, gives you nothing.

Your Scout ship at the beginning is your best ship. It has a built in Autotargeter, which makes hitting stuff easier.

The game is fairly slow at the beginning, but like many collect-athons, it ramps up in interest once you've got lots of bits and ships.
------------------

Hit the "starmap" icon at the bottom. Then hit the "four little ships" icon. This will bring you to your fleet screen.

Select the red "spectrum" ship. Then the "wrench" icon. This will bring you to the ship loadout screen.

Blue squares are for armour/energy storage/drone carriers. Green is for reactors/miscellaneous bits/other stuff. Red is for weapons. Yellow is for engines.

Press the icon that is a "circle with a line through it". Select "yes". This will strip all the bits from that ship (you'll want that green thing, a frontal shield).

Hit the box with an arrow on it at bottom/left. This will take you back to your fleet screen.

Select the first ship, your Scout. Hit the wrench icon.

Move the middle "nuclear" symbol (a small reactor) to a different green square. Then click on the "shield with a plus icon" (defensive bits), and drag that frontal energy shield onto the space you created by moving the reactor.

Click on the frontal energy shield. Over to the right, there will be a little row of numbers, with the shield currently on "2". Change it to "1". This is how you select fire weapon groups (it also works for lots of other stuff). Now when you fire your guns, your shield will also work.

Move the middle blue container thing from the bottom red square to a blue square. Hey,  an extra weapon slot!

Click on the red targeting reticule at the top/left to bring up weapons. Drag a small plasma cannon onto that red square. Click on it and set it to "1" as well. Now everything will fire off one button. Yay.

Fiddle around a bit on the screen if you want, maybe adding a few more energy cells to blue squares (they're under the "power" icon on the left). You've also got two satellites, a Dart and a Pot. You can add these if you want, for future expansion of your little Scout. Just remember, parts add weight, which lowers speed, and ship speed is one of the most important stats in the game.

Hit the square with an arrow icon (exit screen), hit close, and pinch/unzoom the starmap a bit. Select the nearest star, and do your first fight. Your ship is now a lot better than before. So you should win.

There's heaps more stuff to learn than this, but that will get the ball rolling, so you can get loots and figure out what all the icons and stuff do. More levels in your ships gives you more HP and damage, so you'll eventually just be able to grind out any early battle if you get screwed on cash and bits. But buying/finding/researching ships and parts is a big bit of the game. Nearly any ship you can buy is better than your starting ships, so don't be afraid to buy/use nearly anything.

I'll go over weapon slots/character levelling options/starbases next time, this is just a step-by-step starter guide. You learnt a tiny bit from this, none of which was previously explained. Hurrah!

(you can make better starting ships than this, especially if you buy that small torpedo launcher at the starting starbase and adding it to your Scout in place of the pulse cannon, but that would take more steps. Just make sure you occasionally hit the "." icon in the weapons screen at the bottom right sometimes. These are universal weapons and will fit in any weapon slot. This is very useful at the beginning, so you can add a bit of firepower to any early ship. Small torpedoes and small plasma cannons are great, even into the late-game, so never feel bad in filling any unused weapon slots/satellites with them. Torpedoes are your best weapon early on, and having a universal slot one is amazing)

((this is one of those games where buying the lowest tier option is actually very good for you. You'll keep the twenty stars in every new game after it as well, so it lets you try out heaps of stuff as soon as you find a smugglers base or two, and isn't bad at about $2-3. Cloud save before you spend your stars, and cloud load if you don't like what you bought. So you won't waste them that way. Even the "support the developer" highest paid option is good, because you get a ship that has plenty of mid-game gubbins, universal weapon slots to try out new finds, and plenty of stars, all of which you keep in all new games. So while neither option is necessary, it really takes the grind out of learning and trying new stuff. If you min/max your beginning, you can get a good start without a cent spent though. The "lazy" option is actually quite fun in this one, without it breaking mid/lategame content at all. It's a jump-start, not a game winner, and is one of the few games I've found where such things actually make the game more satisfying, not less))

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:19:35 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 23, 2018, 08:55:55 pm »

If there's any other more specific questions Aoi, I'd be happy to answer them for you. Trying to explain *everything* about Event Horizon is a bit of a task, considering nothing, not even basic plot, is given to the player. And not in a good, mysterious way either......
It's a game. Have fun.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 24, 2018, 04:43:46 am »

Well...speaking of event horizon, apparently there is a sequel called event horizon frontier. Gameplay is kind of different, you select a ship, then defend a starbase against waves of enemies. Each ship has its own wave progression and you can potentially bring 5 of your other ships with you to fight, not to mention being able to equip the starbase. However each ship has its own starbase and its own cargo, you can transfer items with one of the npcs that you can fly next to in between waves.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:58:28 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 24, 2018, 06:36:05 am »

Yeah... I actually prefer frontier to the base one rather significantly. Get basically all the good bits, but with much less empty parts gameplay wise and generally bigger/more interesting fights.
Ask not!
Ask!

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 24, 2018, 06:35:46 pm »

I'll have to have another craic at it. I only played it really early on in the release, and some stuff annoyed me too much (collecting resources mostly). Though since I know what's good in EH, I found it really easy to min/max my starbase in EH:F (at least early on) that made the initial battles a synch.

Where drones are only really good on capital ships in the original, having a starbase chock full of them as a back-stop in Frontier made things a lot simpler. But since I'm pretty much done with my EH playthrough, I'll have another go at EH:F to see how challenging it is.

Doesn't really help poor Aoi though, because I think both games had about the same level of explanation. They're really a "just play them and learn" type thing, then once you know what stuff does, it's simple. At least in EH you can't really make any errors (there's enough xp and parts to go around to Max everything eventually if you want). With EH:F, you could potentially paint yourself into a corner without some prior knowledge of what's good to purchase, simply becoming too weak against the successive waves and never being able to recover. But at least there's a level of challenge there, whereas EH really is just a collect-athon grind at its heart.

Just remember Aoi, in EH stuff that you think is an important decision or purchase early on, really isn't. So don't fret too much. Eventually you'll have a few lvl100 ships, a maxed character path (there's always more xp in this game), and will realize that whatever you got you will want a better one of eventually anyway. There's "better/easier" ways of starting (seriously, jump out as far from that initial starbase as fuel will allow, you get more xp and better loot further out), but eventually you'll have most/all of everything.

It's a bit of a slow burner, kind of a "play occasionally for months on end" game, not a quick blast to power/glory style one. Think of it like running every type of D2 character at the same time, but with a shared inventory and a mutable skill tree. Eventually they'll all be rock solid with great gear, but it's going to take a while to level them all up. But there's no truly "wrong" decisions, and enough flexibility in ship layouts later on that you can make some pretty whacky but completely functional ship builds, just to keep you messing around with stuff. Kind of more like PoE, because D2 is kind of "solved" already, and there's not really that many effective ways of doing things. In EH (and EH:F), there's tonnes.

Both are very worthwhile to have on your phone at any rate, just to come back to when the feeling to blow stuff up in a customizable Star Control 2 style hits you.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:50:38 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 24, 2018, 06:57:02 pm »

Oh, and for my guide, I'm just going to do a video guide. Horrible Aussie accent and all. Will be way easier than typing stuff. I'll chuck some links to it once I'm done (I've got a few EH vids on YouTube already).

Here's my awesome Beholder, that is kind of unconventional:
https://youtu.be/gVZP3mkj440
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 24, 2018, 07:15:50 pm »

Eh... difficulty wise EH:F is pretty easy until you get pretty far in. Or was, last I played. After a point it gets nasty, though -- boss ships that can basically one-shot your starbase even through hefty defenses, stuff like that. You end up actually needing to min-max a bit and run a few ships concurrently so you have effective backup. Not in a particularly unenjoyable way, though.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 57