Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 115314 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2016, 04:56:24 pm »

outside of Pokemon GO (if it counts of course). my brother has been using our IPad for playing Yugioh, an Adventure Time card game and Simcity, oh and another game i cant remember which is like a mobile RPG or something.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2016, 12:34:45 am »

Age of Fantasy game "Dead Waters" is up if you want to play. It's mine.

Two GMT times possible, depending on players, and they can move a bit as well. Easy for Aussies, but they might be able to be shuffled around a bit, depending on who joins.

I really want to be able for us to burst out 2-5 turns in a day, all in a short time. Because unfinished (or unstarted) games are pointless. You can take your turn whenever, but setting a time for burst play is worth it in a TBS. How many games do you play for less than 15-30min? There's your few turns in this, as long as everyone is there.

No, we won't be able to raise dead from one another. But yes, our knight cruise-ships make the water dead indeed.

I was going to add two AI chumps, but that would have been too random. Assume we have all the meat already.
It's a game. Have fun.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2016, 03:59:08 am »

Lately I've been hooked on Blendoku on my tablet. I didn't expect it to have so much depth, and although you get the occasional ad, they are unobtrusive for the most part, you can close them instantly, and if you make a single purchase in their store (level packs, for example, which are worth it and cheap), ads are disabled forever.

It's a game of color gradients. I'm really good at it, but it still manages to stump me regularly. Definitely worth trying if you have an eye for color and a love of logic puzzles. They even have a colorblind mode where you can cycle through different color pallets until you find one that works for you.

If anyone is interested in playing against me, PM me and I'll give you my username.

Thanks to Humble Bundle, I've stumbled upon a few other Android games that surprised me by being awesome and not just shitty ports of PC games. (Anytime it tells me to hold the tablet like a controller and use my thumbs to use invisible controls, I die a little inside.) Desktop Dungeons, Rebuild 3, Puzzle Quest 2, This War of Mine, Sorcery!, and Fractal all work pretty well. Point-and-click adventure games like Machinarium work well too. I've also been impressed with games like Prune, Luxuria Superbia, and Pulse, which were clearly designed for tablets. And games like Lara Croft GO, Hitman GO, and Poco Eco are fun for a few minutes now and then.

Some games don't work well at all, though. I was excited to get GoatZ until I realized what the controls were like (which I should have known, really). Same with Stealth Bastard and a few others. I was especially disappointed by the controls in Grim Fandango... They didn't do a great job of converting that for mobile and it can get a little frustrating.

I also still have a list of other games I haven't had a chance to try yet. Damn you, Humble Bundle, for filling my life with EVEN MORE games I don't have time to play...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2016, 10:23:59 pm »

Oh wow. Age of Strategy has a mod/version that is based on the Star Wars franchise: Star Wars Strategy. It is in very early alpha, and development seems slow, but it works.

It's kind of a mod, but in its own .apk. Sound is leftover from AoS, but the units are all Star Wars. Probably best to take a look before it gets C&D'd out of existence.

It's got Rebels and Imperial as factions, with a bit of droid army lumped in with the Imps. There's land battles, space battles, and mixed (the Surface Map shows off this). Considering how moddable the AoS/AoF engine is, with scripted campaigns etc, it might end up really good.

There's not a great deal of maps to play on, no campaigns, the tech tree isn't done, the sound is janky, and online play is probably negligible, but it's functional. Space maps are a bit hard to see movement distances on, but that's my only real mechanical gripe considering the game's alpha status. More units/races/maps/etc are slowly being added.

You can even set up an AI vs AI battle and use it as a screen saver if you want. Probably more interesting than Soda Dungeon is to watch/play, in any case.

Ever wondered what happens to a group of Ewoks when a Nebulon B frigate closes in for orbital bombardment? Now you can find out.

Here's the intro post:
http://www.androidutils.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=72

You can get the .apk here:
http://www.androidutils.com/apk/s.apk
(it checked out as clean by my virus scanner, and they're a reputable developer with a few titles to their name. It's essentially a mod, not a totally new game)

If Star Wars isn't your thing, there's a vaguely planned Command and Conquer/Red Alert mod, a Warcraft mod (kind of like Age of Fantasy, but more Warcraft'y) and a WWII mod all planned. If they ever come to fruition, I'll post about them here. TBS Red Alert sounds awesome.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:53:37 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2016, 03:23:17 am »

DeckDeDungeon2 is a deckbuilder cardgame that I've recently started playing. It's quite good.

Nice graphics and sound, the required amount (not too much) Engrish in it, and heaps of free content.

Think of Hearthstone brawls/adventures, but a bit more progressive-deckbuild'y in play. Lots of challenges with specific "world" rules that change how you play, all played vs the AI. Once you figure out what all the card's "thingies" mean, you'll have no trouble at all.

You start with 20 cards in your pre-made deck, and get to choose another card out of a selection of 5 after each monster you defeat. Dungeons are made up of 15 levels (ie, monster battles), with a mini-boss or two along the way. So you slowly add cards with good abilities that synergize well with your current cards, or that give you abilities that you're lacking in.

It's 5-draw per turn (mostly), with 20 power-points to "cast" cards with, each of them having a certain PP cost. You get 10 more PP a turn, but this REALLY isn't normal. There's several forms of card draw, lowering of PP costs, upping of PP limit and upping of PP refresh all available on cards.

There's a few types of damage (normal/set/poison/burning/etc), healing, shielding, guard, draw, but it's the interactions that are important. If something does "a thing" for 5 turns, then you may have boosted over half your deck with that one card. +3 normal damage every time you heal for 5 turns? Better get healing then, so you can boost your normal attack cards for a triumphant crescendo of a smackdown finish later on. There's plenty of types of cards, most with multiple abilities, and some with certain downsides (that can turn into upsides in certain missions).

And boy do they give you cards. I've been playing for a bit over a day and I've gotten ~15 free packs of 5 cards each from all the gems they give you, plenty of gold and fame, and more from dungeons I've beaten. Actually, they give you everything for free, and lots of it. There are some pay options, but it's strictly laziness-optional.

Since the cards you get as you play through each mission are from the entire pool, you'll end up being able to use all kinds of stuff you don't actually own, even the super-duper 5-star stuff. I've gotten a few of them already for free anyway, and certain cards are just plain good in certain decks regardless of their supposed power level, but you get to try out everything at some point. Yet while there's player progression, there's no paywall or tiering. There are better cards than others, but it's all highly situational depending on your build and expected synergies.

The internal synergies available are pretty amazing too. It's one of the most satisfying deckbuilders I've ever played, because when it all works together, it's awesome. And you can't just play one style, because certain challenge missions make it suicidal. "3-draw-only, no card draw, small damage reflect" in that mission? Don't bring your PP-boosting, card-draw-engine weeny deck, it won't work. But you'll have plenty of cards to try something else, especially with your picks along the way during the mission.

There's a bit of PG-rated TNA on some of the cards, but considering that this is a Japanese card game, it's pretty tastefully done.

It's fully playable, but there are some crash issues. Early'ish development maybe? There's also no exit button that I've found, so I just task-kill it. I think it might be online only (Deck De Dungeon1 wasn't, but that is a totally different and far simpler game), so plan on that. It takes up a fair bit of space on your phone, 240mb or so, because update data doesn't go to your SD card for some reason. It sort of dies if you don't have at least 100-150mb spare after this too (deck view crash issue). The long load times completely disappear after about 3 loads, but expect 5-15 minutes while it downloads and initializes everything the first few times. It's quick for me now. 15-30 seconds tops to start up.

Anyway, despite these faults, if you like deckbuilders, give it a go. This one's good. And free. Yay!

It makes you feel like you're a genius level deckbuilder within an hour or two, and takes all that away from you with the mission-types moments later. But it's free, balanced on progression, and has the awesome level of interactions that I've wanted from a game like this for so long. There's a "1000 damage in 1 turn" reward. Strangely enough, with the right cards and the right mission, I think that's totally possible. I haven't done it yet, but ~300+ is doable by me. High level cards do ~30 damage and cost 8-10 PP. But by the end of a level my cards usually cost negative PP, out of 50-100 of them a turn. So you can see the amazing setups possible to scale crap scarily well if you want to. My cost/card draw engine deck is actually too efficient, and could use some decent damage multipliers and enhancers. It's all about the deck and the interactions within it and the mission.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:54:13 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2016, 03:45:12 am »

anyone plays incrementals on mobile?

I've been "playing" (well it's a strong term for an incremental) Egg, Inc. fun enough, as far as watching things happen goes. also worth noting the old game dev story, grand prix story and, but it's a different cup of tea, skyforce unlimited, always kairosoft

if you're into strategy games playing with people the carcassone port isn't bad, but don't pass this gem: strategery - it's a kdice port, plays like risk but faster and less grindy

also can suggest polytopia (inspired by populus but properly converted to mobile chunk gameplay)

I also play a couple more weird games - 868-HACK plays like decker, you have to see the demo because it's hard to describe, you're a runner inside a computer attacking virus and exfiliating data, then there's plague inc, which is fun to play for the unlocks and change quite a bit one run from another, and reigns, which is a lighter king of the dragon pass to kill five minutes

on the roguelike side, I like Dungelot - wasn't really into the more complex stuff.

one thing I hate are games that take a bunch to load. I mostly play coffe breakers so if you load longer than 1 minute it's longer what I've to play with (I'm looking at you, xcom, all w40k games, and some stupid game with online drm I don't even remember)

also, ptw :P

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2016, 03:55:53 am »

I tried Dragon Slayer, but couldn't get into it. It's somewhere between a side-scrolling beat 'em up, an idle game, and a cooldown simulator.

It's actually really good in this genre. It's just that they're not my sort of games mostly. I sort of wish they'd just made a decent beat 'em up out of it.

It's probably not what you mean by incremental games, but it does have elements of it. It's a very good game, in a very bad genre.

Think Stick Rangers, but cutesy Streets of Rage mixed with JRPG style, and just popping cooldowns rather than actually saving your pixel fighters from their stupidity.

Great graphics, great sound, but I just don't like the grind required from this sort of game.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 04:01:53 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2016, 08:31:15 pm »

Being inspired by your post, I tried "Skyforce Unite!" by kairosoft. Its one of their freemium's based around air combat. It's actually pretty good. More like a Final Fantasy-esque RPG than the standard "screen saver with input required" that I expected from the company.

I know it'll turn into a grindfest pretty quickly, but that's JRPGs for you. At least there's actual gameplay and decisions in this one. I kinda like it. I wish I knew what I do now about how the game works, I would have spent my tokens very differently, but there's no way I'm restarting. Got a pretty awesome apprentice already, with some amazing weapons considering I've researched basically nothing. This might be my casual grindfest RPG to turn to for a long time coming.

I tried High Sea Saga from the same company too (mostly for freebie stuff in Skyforce). I'm glad I tried Skyforce first, or I would have written off their entire library as complete time-waster farming sims.

I'm not saying Skyforce isn't that, but it's a lot more fun being able to actually do stuff in combat than most "incrementals", and the map-movement strategies at least make you feel that you're not just watching timers tick down in between battles. There's some thought involved. Yay for a ranger/merchant apprentice carrying the team too. Picking, scouting, more money and items, and 3/4 weapon elements makes her cool (still need AP though). Volcanic Plains farming until more research is done, because of easy elemental kills and a decent shop. Fort is too annoying to do for now, although I've almost finished it. New World and daily challenges seem easier and more profitable to blow stamina on. Still, not too bad for 2-3 days play.

I'm 217,812,311 if you want to add me as a friend in Skyforce.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:43:20 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2016, 09:07:22 pm »

You. You're the one I blame for mentioning stick rangers had an android port. I think I both hate and love you for that.

I think, even discounting the time I've spent playing it specifically on one device, I've spent several hours over the last few days playing it more or less simultaneously on both the kindle and the computer. Friggin' stick rangers, your one flaw is I kept forgetting you exist. Now I have you as a handheld I can play while I'm doing something else. send help. I'm having trouble stopping ;_;
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2016, 09:14:14 pm »

Kairo's freemiums are so bad.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2016, 02:08:44 am »

Kairo's freemiums are so bad.

the new one? yes.

grand prix story and game dev story are good coffebreakers

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2016, 06:32:00 pm »

Meh. I'm quite enjoying Skyforce Unite. It's nice in that it's easy, you can mess around a bit with setups, and they give you everything you need for free. I doubt I'd ever have to pay a cent to progress in it (I wouldn't either. It's not that good. But it's not bad if all you want is a nice little turn-based RPG where thinking is optional). Fort's done, Malibu is being done, research is catching up. There'll probably be a roadblock at some point, but so far it feels like it's a "grind for 20mins, come back later, problem solved" solution, not a paywall. Just changing a couple of my weapon elements over to lightning turned Fort from "how do I do this?" into "absolute cakewalk". Finding an AP bomb helped too. But they give you everything you need to complete your mission during it or one world before it. And 20mins grind-prep is pretty small as far as FF-esque JRPGs go. It's more-so a case of running out of storage space constantly due to all the free stuff they throw at you, and learning to spend it wisely, rather than "can't progress, must grind" in this one. My ranger/merchant apprentice probably causes this "problem/solution" though. I keep having to buy storage....

@Frumple: Yeah. And now I've mentioned it, I sort of want to start another run with some weird setup. But I've actually got things to do today. God damn me. Those flaming swords with homing projectiles (sebel 4?) are so addictive.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:05:21 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2016, 07:55:09 pm »

Did try that skyforce thing. Is kinda' interesting... gives off a definite mad max vibe, specifically that one SNES one that got fantranz'd. Which is good! It'd actually be a pretty decent mobile implementation of the playstyle... if they got rid of stamina and all the real-time timers involved. As is, it hurts to play it. Painful to get involved with something so obviously crippled in the name of monetization. It'd be smooth as hell if it didn't have those particular roadblocks -- the gacha stuff is fine, as well as the resource buying and whatnot. It's just the rest of it :-\

Though yeah, I've been running a few odd builds. Mostly double priest and then something else (sniper duo, Angel duo, sniper/gunner). Best functioning team at the moment is fairly standard, though. Strength Priest, magic based sniper (with some strength, too, to up the range), magician (range to ~200, bit in magic, currently upping dex until it hits 75), magic enabled boxer, usually in running vampire/onigiri -- just enough dex to 5-10 without quick, meandering towards 120 mag for always-on end game gloves, though strength is getting splashed as it goes. Usually runs as a freeze tank, which I find is sodding incredible at weakening bosses, even if it's not stun locking. Good stuff. Mountaintop is totally kicking their asses, though.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:04:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2016, 08:48:02 pm »

Yeah. The only real "must have" is a sniper I find, and that's only to clear the pyramid more easily. I also tend to stick to only having 1 mêlée, because it cuts down on early micro so much.

I tend to like the gladiator over the boxer, but I've never really persisted for long with boxers. I know they get insane later on. Gladiator's leveling is just so much smoother, and you can get away with only 35-40 magic for so long (you'll virtually always hit 2-3 times more before a sword's effect runs out, and they don't really stack, they just refresh). Plus, a burn-time fire gem thingy and those sabel(4) homing flames go damn near half way across the screen, which opens up a bit of AA work for the class if even one thing gets close enough to launch the fiery doom. Not a tonne of damage, but not really lacking with a strength priest either. The multi-hit and tracking makes up for the lowish numbers.

Sure, there's immunities and resists, but all swords are easy to mod and stat for. You've always got room to keep a backup or three if you need it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:51:55 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2016, 08:57:26 pm »

Mm... stacking depends on the damage type, iirc. From what I've noticed, the only thing that doesn't stack when there's overlapping effects/clouds is poison. Is one of the reasons the flame weapons can end up outdamaging the poison ones. Also how electric shock and whatnot do their hilarious shenanigans.

... it's just really hard to tell because one flame effect or fifty is still going to cause the same delightful waterfall of damage numbers.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57