Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 115002 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #465 on: July 15, 2018, 09:57:39 am »

Sadly, Retropunch's comment is... rather in line with my own thoughts on the game. Unfinished/a bit too shallow. Mostly there's the fact some quests have to be in areas that make some classes basically useless (For instance, anything that takes place in a forest). The requirements to earn score (retire party members while you have a lot of gold and after some missions) is rather interesting, but the new party members seem to start with gear and levels simlar to the level your party members, meaning none of them feel especially different than before.

I do like how you can avoid certain encounters through the use of certain characters, but I wonder if this won't just make me want to keep them in my company and avoid retiring them.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 21, 2018, 10:57:30 pm »

I just picked up Neo Monsters and EvoCreo, two $0.99 Pokemon knockoffs. The former is a team battle with "overworld" travel reminiscent of strategy RPGs (you know, you can move X squares on your turn). The latter appears to be more traditional (as in, the map looks exactly like a Pokemon map) but the wildlife you beat to a pulp look more boring.

Don't ask why I bought both at the same time.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 23, 2018, 05:26:21 am »

So I decided to try out a certain X-rated mobile game mentioned a while back in the "what are you currently playing?" thread, because I was bored and curious and after a fair amount of SS13 recently I felt like I needed some singleplayer something-or-other in order to unwind from the sheer concentrated assbasketry that is other online gamers.

Honestly can't recommend it. Nevermind that the download/installation is sketchy as fuck, the X-rated portions are rather bland and uninteresting, and the gameplay portions are hideously crimped by a too-powerful RNG and a bad pace.

Like, the RNG can massively tilt the scales in one side's favor, but the way the game plays makes it so that you're really only allowed a chance to recover from an unfavorable situation once. If you don't manage to completely flip the scales during that chance, the game is already over.

On top of all that, the game also actually pretended to be multiplayer, like that's some sort of appeal.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 23, 2018, 03:26:26 pm »

So I decided to try out a certain X-rated mobile game mentioned a while back in the "what are you currently playing?" thread

Was it the game I mentioned?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 23, 2018, 05:07:39 pm »

Has anyone else here played Girls' Frontline? I've been playing it. It seems interesting, for a mobile game, but I don't really have much experience with mobile games and I might be completely wrong about how good of a game it is.
Nothing important here, move along.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 23, 2018, 05:35:48 pm »

So I decided to try out a certain X-rated mobile game mentioned a while back in the "what are you currently playing?" thread

Was it the game I mentioned?

The very same.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 23, 2018, 05:49:41 pm »

I'm not sure I fully understand/agree with your criticisms then.
Yes RNG is a factor. Player decks are only 8 cards total, with 4 in your hand at any time, so that RNG has very minimal impact compared to most other card games that involve several dozens of cards in your deck. Field bonuses are also RNG, but rarely favor one side heavily. I'd say at least 80% of the time I feel like I have a fair chance to win if I think my moves through carefully, and I frequently see matches start out favoring one player only to have a clever combination of units turn things around.

As for your multiplayer comment, the adventure mode is vs an AI opponent, as is the event variation of adventure mode. The ranked pvp, lite-pvp, and tower are all against real live people.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 23, 2018, 07:13:10 pm »

Except that, at least on mobile, it was just using player profiles with an AI controlling their decks.

As for RNG, the field bonuses can be obscenely weighted one way or the other, all depending on what they are and how they're placed. Just because both sides have a rock and a +2 heart tile doesn't mean that they're equal in strength, the placement of those tiles has a great deal to say. If you start with a major threat on the other side of the field that you need to dedicate turns and resources specifically for dealing with (lightning tower and stone idol are big contenders all depending on their HP, health totem can also snowball in a mean way), you are already at a disadvantage as the other player can pull out just about anything and you will be forced to lose at least one of those fights. And if you lose one fight, you lose the match.

Plus there's something to be said for the RNG nature of several card abilities. You might stack block on your tanky frontliner who's going to make the most out of it, or it might fall on the 1-hp glass cannon who's going to die next turn regardless of protections. But mostly, you're at the whim of your hand and the battlefield cooperating.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #473 on: July 23, 2018, 09:00:58 pm »

Has anyone else here played Girls' Frontline? I've been playing it. It seems interesting, for a mobile game, but I don't really have much experience with mobile games and I might be completely wrong about how good of a game it is.
I dunno, I tried it and, much like Fire Emblem Heroes, if it has anything to offer in terms of turn-based tactics gameplay it's buried.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 24, 2018, 12:37:54 pm »

I dunno, I tried it and, much like Fire Emblem Heroes, if it has anything to offer in terms of turn-based tactics gameplay it's buried.
I'm actually playing it now.  Just slowly chipping away at the last event(Cube) map.  Yea, there isn't much beyond the gameplay and raising of raifu.

I'd say Soccer Spirits offers better gameplay, but the grind to get anywhere good takes forever. Also, my favorite/invested characters have been on the lower end of the usefulness spectrum for awhile now, last I checked anyways.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 25, 2018, 12:55:09 pm »

I put several hours into EvoCreo since last posting. It's been pretty fun, though it's definitely not for everybody.

The same
  • You have pet creatures.
  • You buy Pokeballs Nodes to throw at them.
  • If you have more than six five in your party, any excess get sent to a PC in the PokeCenter EvoCo.
  • Your pets level up and may evolve into something new.
  • There are gyms arenas.
  • Team Rocket Galactic Plasma xxxx Shadow Hive periodically causes you some problems.

Different
  • Half of the creatures are basically Eevee and don't evolve based on level. Instead, they evolve based on elemental affinity which can be accrued by using moves of that type. This can absolutely screw your build if you level up too far and end up with shit stats. Naja, for instance, starts out with great physical increases. If you want to evolve it into a form that needs great elemental  stats, you need to do that early.
  • Like the game this is based off of, there are elemental stones to help with this. Instead of immediately causing an evolution, however, they just give you a big chunk of related affinity.
  • You almost never need to go to an EvoCo. Once you level something up to... 5-7-ish? it gets a healing move that you can use in battle.
  • Each of your creatures can gain abilities and traits. You can pick and choose which is active. While walking around, maybe you want your deor to be ridable. While fighting, maybe you want it to increase the likelihood that you encounter X type creatures.
  • No more four-move limit or PP. You get one epic move, three normal moves, and one healing move. You fill out those slots from the pool of moves that your creature has learned. You start every fight with the ability to use any move. After use, many enter a "cooldown" phase of some number of rounds before they become usable.
  • Your trainer has a level. You can use these points to get abilities like extra money from trainer battles, halved prices, and healing your non-fainted pets as you walk. These points can be reset for free after allocation.
  • Unlike the gating in Pokemon, there are a few instances where you can get way out of your level. Right near the start, for instance, is an area with level 40 wilds. Right next to your mom's house is a guy who beat all of the arenas and is willing to challenge you. He's got level 50 creatures.
  • On the flip side, it's fairly easy to defeat creatures many levels above you if you make good use of types and damage-over-time effects. One of my most effective creatures has a trait that may cause poison and can throw rocks to cause bleed. Those two combined can be deadly.
  • You can genetically modify your creatures. This makes them way more powerful but causes them to gain experience slower.
  • There's a handy "don't evolve" toggle for each of your creatures if you know you don't want it to evolve until you get some move.
  • Arenas are entirely different. This deserves its own sublist:
    • Arenas are infinitely repeatable.
    • They cost money to enter, but it's a pitiful amount - 5 money units, when the first arena fight gives you at least a hundred
    • There are always three fights of increasing difficulty. You can leave at any point, restarting from the beginning when you return.
  • There's a premium currency, though it's pretty easy to get ahold of. It seems to be for buying new creatures, changing your avatar, or buying reusable items (the cheapest of which is a reusable Repel-like thing; probably useful). It can be found lying around in a few spots, or you can install some other games displayed in-app and accomplish tasks for cash.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:58:24 pm by Mephisto »

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 27, 2018, 01:34:41 pm »

Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation Dx2 is out for iOS and Android and I've been enjoying it so far... Maybe minus the story but even that can be interesting sometimes. It has lots of content, worth a try for anyone that is into that sort of thing.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 27, 2018, 05:30:22 pm »

FlyCasual has been brought to mobile! It's an Xwing Miniatures Boardgame simulator, and it's really very good.

You get all the ships, all the parts, but no real idea how to play the game. It's all fairly easy to pick up though if you're willing to go through some clicking. Or just watch some YouTube of people playing the real game to help you along.

Anyway, it's pretty well done. You can play against the AI, or over the internet, or as a hotseat game, or even watch the AI play against itself. The AI uses a slightly different ruleset, but it appears more so due to it being easier to program it this way while giving a decent challenge (it gets free target locks and can use an action to remove stress instead of having to green manoeuvre it away, and doesn't stress on red manoeuvres but skips it's action that turn. It also chooses manoeuvres during the turn, so it looks like the high PS pilots are reacting, but they're not, they're cheating) than it drastically changing gameplay in too many ways. The screen is a little bit pokey on a phone, but should be fine on tablet, and comes with a 3d mode for watching turns and a 2d overhead mode to make planning your turns easier. You can set your ship lists, save/load, and even import .XWS lists into the game (so you can forum hunt a decent ship list if you don't know what you're doing), and it is frigging wonderful to be able to choose all the things you've ever wanted to try out.

I've had a quick game vs AI, and it's easy enough to do everything with only a bit of extra clicking required. It's not perfect, but it's pretty complete as far as I could tell. Oh, and the sound is great. Vrrroooaaahhhh's of Tie-Fighters and pew-pew of lasers are in full effect.

Anyway, it's good, it's free, it's probably going to be C&D'd out of existence immediately, so grab it quick. For Android, Windows, Mac and Linux (and the source code) here:
https://github.com/Sandrem/FlyCasual/releases
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:39:19 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 27, 2018, 06:40:23 pm »

Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation Dx2

Man, the UI text is impressively difficult to read.

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 28, 2018, 03:30:21 am »

Man, the UI text is impressively difficult to read.

Yeah, you have to put the phone in your face most of the time :)
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 57