Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 115327 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #480 on: July 28, 2018, 03:54:10 am »

Played a bit (2hrs or so) of Maple Story M. I've never played a Maple Story game before. I'm glad I hadn't. It's essentially an autoplaying screen saver with bad jumping controls for those few times you do need to control your character. Got up to about lvl38. The mage character is OP as hell, and gets even better as the new skills come into play at lvl30. They also have teleport, so the bad jumping and movement controls aren't as annoying. I'm glad I picked that one, any other class would have made me ragequit before then.

The art is nice. The sound is repetitive and pretty bad. The story is, ummm, OK'ish I guess? The combat is terrible. The end.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 03:56:32 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 28, 2018, 05:39:11 pm »

Would anyone be up for a game of Fly Casual some time this coming week? Wouldn't be too hard to get a mini-league going if it proves popular. And since it's multiformat/crossplay compatible AFAIK, getting a few PC players in might not be too hard either. Games often only last 20-40mins since dice rolling and manoeuvre designation is so quick, and it might be good for a laugh. Can be kinda random or wombo-combo'y, but that's the nature of TT strategy games I guess. At least there's LOTS of combos available, with well-placed firepower and agility/HP still being a nice catch-all that can grind through stuff even if you don't hard counter a particular list.

Might make a big proper thread on it soon if there's no takers here.
It's a game. Have fun.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 28, 2018, 09:38:53 pm »

Haven't even played a full game yet and I'm already reminded of SteamBirds. Flashgame about top-down fighter piloting.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #483 on: July 28, 2018, 09:42:21 pm »

Would anyone be up for a game of Fly Casual some time this coming week? Wouldn't be too hard to get a mini-league going if it proves popular. And since it's multiformat/crossplay compatible AFAIK, getting a few PC players in might not be too hard either. Games often only last 20-40mins since dice rolling and manoeuvre designation is so quick, and it might be good for a laugh. Can be kinda random or wombo-combo'y, but that's the nature of TT strategy games I guess. At least there's LOTS of combos available, with well-placed firepower and agility/HP still being a nice catch-all that can grind through stuff even if you don't hard counter a particular list.

Might make a big proper thread on it soon if there's no takers here.
I dunno, the UI during the actual game is really really small on Android and the touch controls kind of suck. I think I'll pass for now but definitely drop a link to a thread if you make one.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 28, 2018, 10:46:57 pm »

Haven't even played a full game yet and I'm already reminded of SteamBirds. Flashgame about top-down fighter piloting.

It's a 1:1 recreation of Xwing Miniatures Game (by Fantasy Flight Games). It's like that because that's what the board game is like. There's a little more depth there than is apparent, although much of it is in reducing variability of dice rolls, or stacking more of them, opening up movement dials, and getting free actions/attacks/effects through modding/pilots on each ship.
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 13, 2018, 12:42:44 pm »

Games that are free (for the next day or two) :

Timing Hero. It's a weird 4-bit pokemon/timing attack mash-up.

Wonder Knights. A nice little schmup with levelling and gear and stuff.

Reed. A platformer.

Archery Shot. Shoot the apple off the dancing girl's head. Or accidently shoot her. It happens. Great ragdoll physics.

Infinity Dungeon. A progression clicker.

Pixel Heroes. Another timing thingo.

Rogue Drone. Didn't work on my phone.

Zombie Avengers. A 2d Stickman timing hackemup.

Anyway, they're free, and they weren't before. Wonder Knights, Timing Hero and Archery Shot are all probably worth a look. They're not bad for what they are (and at that price).

It's a game. Have fun.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #486 on: August 13, 2018, 12:57:10 pm »

Are they free to keep or just free to try?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 13, 2018, 01:32:44 pm »

Free to keep AFAIK. There's iaps, but the apps themselves are free for the next 2'ish days (but used to be between $1 and $4).
It's a game. Have fun.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #488 on: August 13, 2018, 02:28:42 pm »

Awesome, thanks sambojin! I downloaded most of them, if any stand out I'll post again.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 13, 2018, 03:09:05 pm »

Wonder Knights seems fun, but dear god do I fucking despise any game that doesn't give you quick and clear access to the settings from the start. I get it, you want to get me hooked in the first 10 minutes and you don't want me wandering around and getting scared by all the fucking menus, but forcing me to play several levels before being able to adjust the goddamn sound settings is retarded.

Still better than Dead Ahead which while being fun (if somewhat grindy) doesn't appear to have an options screen at all, there is a gamepad icon on the menu but it does nothing when tapped, but other than that, the only way to mute the fucking thing is to mute the entirety of my phone, which isn't always something I wanna do :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 13, 2018, 06:28:00 pm »

Still better than Dead Ahead which while being fun (if somewhat grindy) doesn't appear to have an options screen at all, there is a gamepad icon on the menu but it does nothing when tapped, but other than that, the only way to mute the fucking thing is to mute the entirety of my phone, which isn't always something I wanna do :V

On the main menu (Where you can see the big "Dead Ahead" logo, there's a button with a gear icon in the bottom-left. Clicking on it should reveal a number of options, including handedness (left or right), steering style (tap buttons or touch road), music (on or off), sound (on or off), notifications (on or off), and tutorial messages (on or off).

I'm using an iPhone, so if you're not, it might be a little different, but there's an options menu for sure.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 14, 2018, 02:00:35 am »

Ok, as it turns out it does have it, it's just hidden behind the player level icon in the top left of the screen which shows no indication of being interactive at all, or that it's hiding the settings.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 14, 2018, 09:02:00 am »

Behind the player icon in the top-left of the screen? Tapping on that didn't seem to do anything for me - it's the same as tapping on the rest of the top bar - the objectives shows up.

Well, here's a picture of where I found the settings icon. Again, I'm on an iPhone (as opposed to an Android device) so it might be different for you. Clicking on it should reveal things like mute, handedness, and notifications.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 18, 2018, 07:01:31 pm »

Bloons Super Monkey 2 and Empire Warriors TD are both currently free on the Playstore for them that want them.

BSM2 is a cutesy non-violent shootemup that is actually quite good. A fair few different weapon options with good power scaling, a few different character types, no energy/stamina system, but there'll be a fair bit of grind to get everything unlocked and powered up. Currently on world 2, and have enjoyed it immensely so far. Tiny bit of a problem in hitting my back key when down the bottom of the screen, but that's on me, not the game. Plenty of powerups, plenty of weapon combos. Just an enjoyable little shooter, that would even be fine for kids (though there's a fairly high skill cap too). I went Dart on left, Boomerang on right, and a Magic core to begin with, and was pretty happy with it. Now levelling Beam core instead for more forward firepower. Doing Ice/Magic/Ice core on Ice Monkey, just to try him out. Oh, and don't worry, you're not stuck with Ice Monkey in world 2. As soon as you defeat the Yeti (6-12 lvls in) you can switch him back out for Super Monkey. So don't waste your red thingies if you don't want him.

Empire Warriors TD is a tower defense game with hero based cooldowns. It seems quite competent at what it does, though I'm not a huge fan of the genre. You also get a free, fairly good hero during the free app event, so now's a good time to try the game out.

But yeah, get BSM2 at least. It's pretty good (though admittedly, I just like shootemups. But this is a good one for mobile).

Had a bit more of a go at Chimera Recollect. Got 31000 gold collected from downtime, so bought *all-the-things* from stores. Wow did this just get easier. Trying out the Water head. Damn lasers are great, even if they're a little MP intensive. But with a Cloud(R) tail, it's still unlimited laser death for everyone. Probably even better than Dragon fire. Zap! Nothing left. Really am trying to use other tail types (Skeleton shurikens look cool, and might be feasible at a high level, considering you start with 4, so hoping it goes to 9), but unlimited MP from cloud is just too good. Trying different bodies too, but so far everything feels weaker than Butterfly (R)'s glide and penetrate. Heavy kinda does very little IMO. I'm really just trying to not waste all my XP by levelling other stuff for now. Lizard's my best HP tail, but I need something better for life restocks.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:28:38 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 18, 2018, 09:57:06 pm »

Got my Chimera(R) tail for life restocks/pseudo invincibility. Dreamworld, here we come. On other tails, some of the Autochase ones aren't bad. Skeleton shurikens do hang around a bit, so they're not bad against jumpers/phasers,and are a nice burst if they go off when you're close. Octopus' tentacles are surprisingly good, and scale at a pretty silly rate (like Skeleton's). Random, but actually quite powerful. Copper Shield's isn't horrible, but doesn't penetrate. Still a 4+ scaled though. Bee's is like a little batch of homing missiles, and they do seem to penetrate, but they only scale from 1-5.

Anyway, even though I've got some good stuff, at least there's plenty to try out in Chimera Recollect. Pretty much anything is vaguely useable at lvl3+, especially if you've got a penetrate body.

It's like how the Cat head (one of the early heads you get) seems pretty naff, until it's at level 5 and you've got water blobs bouncing everywhere and penetrating everything, costing very little MP, and you realize it's actually grossly overpowered. There's heaps of cool stuff like that to try out.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:32:54 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 57