Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 115267 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #525 on: September 16, 2018, 09:05:28 am »

The point would be to make a commercially-viable, graphical and animated Nethack/Moria clone.
Or to state it differently, to make a (more western) mystery dungeon. Commercial roguelikes were around a good three years before D1 was, heh. Things go back to at least the SNES, possibly earlier.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:07:18 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 16, 2018, 09:39:51 am »

Further back than that. Some original devs of Rogue were selling the commercial PC version from around 1984. The first commercial roguelike was, in fact, Rogue.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 16, 2018, 10:36:58 am »

There is that, heh.

The mystery dungeon stuff might be the first that did particularly well, though. Stuff's still trucking along to this day, with something like a 20+ game lineage stretching decades. S'kinda' neat, really. Not all the publishers involved toyed around with but it's a niche that managed to find some dosh backed traction.
Ask not!
Ask!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 16, 2018, 07:26:55 pm »

There were no NA releases of any Mystery Dungeon games until after Diablo. Even the Japan releases would've been after the development of Diablo had begun in earnest.

Meanwhile, Mystery Dungeon was also influenced by Rogue:
Ultima and Wizardry are also difficult games, but what we did with those games is, they took those games and made a more easy-to-understand version of them, which was Dragon Quest. We wanted to approach Rogue in a similar way, make a more understandable, more easy-to-play version of Rogue, which was the Mystery Dungeon series.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 16, 2018, 08:19:38 pm »

Uh. Yeah, to the first bit, NA isn't exactly the world's only commercial market :P The first mystery dungeon was released in Japan in '93, though -- three years (plus a bit) before D1 hit the market. D1 itself apparently wasn't even pitched to blizzard until '95, checking. Came out before Diablo was a twinkle in its devs' eyes.

And yeah, the mystery dungeon was totes influenced so. Was specifically why I mentioned it as a commercial roguelike, ehehe.
Ask not!
Ask!

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 17, 2018, 04:51:10 am »

Oh yeah! Shiren the Wanderer (didn't play the first Mystery Dungeon yet) is awesome. I wish they ported it on iOS.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 04:56:11 am by tnc »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 22, 2018, 08:28:03 pm »

Full of Stars is an "runner"-type game that's similar to Temple Run in that - Hey, wait, I know, I know, but listen, it's different, trust me on this!

So, unlike Temple Run, Subway Surfers, or all 1.5 million endless-runner-type games out there for mobile, Full of Stars has a story with more meat than "something's chasing you so you'd better run fast" and persistent elements that are more than "you collect enough of this thing you can make your character a different color".

See, the game has two parts - one where you, well, fly through a realm known as the rift, which allows people to travel across several thousand light years' worth of space travel in just a few minutes, and two, where you make choices on what to do at your destinations or what happens when the ship crashes.

The Rift lets you travel quickly, but it's also quite dangerous. If you crash into an asteroid during the tutorial/starting segments of the "Cargo Pilot" story, the first of two stories currently available, there's a very real risk your journey might end right there. See, whenever you crash in the first part of the game, usually an event happens that forces you to choose between a certain number of things, but we'll get to that in the bottom half.

The second part of the game involves events - both events happening after the crash, and events happening once you reach your destinations. Here, you'll interact with the four resources you'll have to manage.

Crew: The number of people currently on the ship, including yourself. You usually get a few events that add crew members at the very start of the game, and might be able to find more along your way if you're lucky. Nearly all events that happen after you crash will force you to make a decision or risk losing crew members. If the number of Crew members drops to zero, well, you are probably dead and will have to start a new journey.

Idium: Some kind of mineral/currency. Can be used in either events or in upgrading your ship's Laser, Bomb, Overdrive, and After-Crash Stabilizer. These are the equivalent of coins in that they're really easy to find in the rift and it takes a lot of Idium to upgrade an item/be used during an event.

Idium Crystals: A more valuable form of Idium. Can be used to provide a second chance when you crash, usable in events, used to upgrade your Crew Quarters, or to break down into Idium. These are basically the premium currency - they will appear somewhat rarely in the Rift, may be provided by some events, but can also be purchased.

Leadership Points: This isn't really a tangible thing. Maybe it's confidence, morale, or omsething else entirely. Whatever it is, can be used in events. These are gained by either certain choices in events, or by completing challenges - objectives that you can fulfill during a run to fill up the bar.

An event might go something like this (I am not quoting from the game, mind, so it'll probably look different when you come across it):

A group of people is getting pissed because there's not enough food to go around. You can either:

(Chance of success/failure) Call for backup
(Leadership Points) Share your food
(Idium Crystals) Set up a food plant

I'd tell you what options would be best in what situations, but that might be spoilers - in any case, you'll have to manage the currencies as you travel from spot to spot to save humanity.

It's worth a try. Advertisements only appear when you're recharging your core (energy system, you can perform 3 runs in a row, then wait, watch a video, pay idium, or purchase an unlimited core in-app purchase), and all in-app purchases are completely optional.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:53:27 pm by AzyWng »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 23, 2018, 04:55:25 am »

It's unbelievable how developers can keep making generic pocket games, from name to graphics to gameplay. You would think they would fail to make one aspect of it generic at least. These guys, they know what they're doing.
The trick is to have years of experience. If you don't have years of experience, just empty your mind and tap into the psychic gestalt of slopware development and let the eldritch forces of dimness guide your way.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 24, 2018, 09:02:20 pm »

MicRogue, Gold free until... today or yesterday. Plays as a turn-, grid-based puzzle game. You're on a grid with various traps and monsters trying to clear ten floors up, grab the loot, and run back down ten floors (that have mysteriously changed and gotten more complex).

Mobs have set AI-- some move diagonally-only, some deal AoE damage if they die to traps, etc. Very simple concepts, mostly a matter of how long can you maintain not screwing up. (I've gotten to 15/20, so no idea what happens when you finish it.) A good, tidy little puzzler.

Tip: Those eyeball monsters that switch places with you if you have LoS at the end of a turn? Very useful to cross a map fast or shake off things chasing you.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 27, 2018, 07:13:48 pm »

I just got a notification about an hour ago that Dragalia Lost is available on the Play store.

It's a Nintendo thing and looks pretty good. I got through the first "room" and then lost connection but I"m willing to give it a pass for now as it quite literally just came out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 28, 2018, 10:12:13 am »

Space battleship story RPG updated ~

... doesn't seem to add anything major major, but there's some (8? 9 if you count the arena) new stages and a few neat UI tweaks (filters for weapon lists, details on consort ship attacks, stuff like that). Might be a nice excuse to play it some more if it's been a while.
Ask not!
Ask!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 30, 2018, 06:34:06 pm »

Dragalia Lost is available on the Play store.

I've played up to chapter 2 now, which I think is enough to get a general feel for the game.

It is a gatcha game, with a focus on saving up premium currency from first-time rewards and daily/event missions, then spending it on a slot machine in hopes of getting powerful new units and equipment. The general flow of progression is far from original, but that's okay, it's a system that works.

Combat is easy to learn, but not particularly deep. Drag to move, tap to do basic attacks, hold to do power moves which vary between units. The holy trinity of tanks/healers/dps are here, plus support for a bit of variety, and the standard elemental strength/weakness system. Limit breaks in the form of melee attacks and dragon transforms, each of which get their own meter.

Aesthetics are very nice, if you like anime portraits and cutscenes with chibi character models. Mild fanservice, with most of the female characters having fairly large chests and short skirts, and most of the males being shirtless with cute ears and tails. Music is also quite pleasant.

Overall, Dragalia Lost is nothing new, but it does mark a solid entry into an existing genre.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 14, 2018, 03:57:55 am »

Pathos: the Nethack Codex got some pretty big updates. A few new, very interesting races. A changeling with polymorph and polymorph control, so yes, you can turn into anything you've seen. Shenanigans abound :)

A fairy that is tiny (so can't even open doors), but has blink naturally, so you can *bamf* past them,  as well as constant flight. You can also ride your dog or cat due to your size, and it *bamfs* through doors with you. I'll have to try out a fairy knight at some point.

And a lizardman that has jump and regen. Just kind of big and hitty (is actually large sized, so can't squeeze though diagonals). Also a pure carnivore. Vanilla feeling compared to the other two, but probably way easier to play. Eat all the things :)

Then the big one: you can now play as multiple characters at once. Want a turret bard or gunslinger following you around? No worries. Sick of waiting out a paralyze? Just switch into your second character and defend your poor helpless self. Want stacks of inventory space because you horde too much? No worries, bring a fully featured pack mule that levels alongside you. While it does seem to up the monster spawn rate (not necessarily a bad thing to help the xp gathering for two people) it doesn't seem to make it too much easier (or harder). Just a hell of a lot more fun. Kind of like single player D&D computer games where you can control your entire party, but only one at a time, in a way. As you can imagine, there's some very good combos available. Strangely enough, they seem to be moderately smart too from an AI perspective. Or my duel crossbow wielding fairy bard did in any case (happily shot away, picked up stray ammo, didn't charge headlong into too many things. I was surprised). Just remember, if you thought food was hard to find before, try feeding two mouths all the way through the dungeon.

Crafting also got a slight nerf, where you can have random bad effects occur if you use a particular crafting bench too many times. It's percentage based (called entropy), and it's not too bad. It just means you craft the essentials, not every little doodad you think you'll need.

Anyway, amazing update. Single-player-multi-character (it's already got actual online multi-player) and new (very funky) races breathed heaps of new life into an already incredibly replayabe game :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:06:38 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 02, 2018, 04:34:13 am »

Note: Make sure to read the bottom edit if it sounds interesting enough to try.

Wandering Night... it's basically a de-rip from Night of the Full Moon back in the direction of Slay the Spire with micropay of dubious value. (I'm not actually sure what you do with the micropay other than buying alternate characters and some ungodly expensive thing at the start of a run labelled Invulnerability.) Impressions are after two full games, and a few failures.

A lot of skills and encounter are mechanically identical-- those mechanical enemies that alternate between stacking useless cards in your deck and attack? That encounter is replicated. So lets talk about where they differ instead. (Which isn't much.)

You roll dice to advance along the map which consists of combats, elite combats, cards (mostly negative ones, it seems), camps, shops, and StS-style '?' encounters. This directly leads into a more important difference: You get points each space you move that can be spent for things like a specific dice roll, shop, campground, etc.

There's evidently some way to upgrade your base character once you've done enough runs with it, but I haven't opened that up yet.

At the end of a run, you get your score, but also get to plunge into a rapidly escalating postgame where you can get micropay currency depending on how you do.

So basically... it's Slay the Spire: Mobile! I find Night of the Full Moon to be a better entry if you like this kind of a thing, but Wandering Night is closer to the StS experience, whereas NotFM is actually a different game.

Edit: Uhhhhh. I appear to have somehow gotten my account banned in about 24 hours without having actually done anything that may possibly warrant a ban (by normal standards). Maybe playing on a flaky European data connection is enough to set off red flags for them? Not like it's exploitable; the always-connected system recorded the exact state of each battle. In any case, be aware if you plan to invest anything meaningful into this.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:37:38 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 02, 2018, 04:41:32 pm »

Diablo: Immortal

Blizz announced today that Diablo 2.5 is in development for mobile.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 57