Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 114993 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #540 on: November 02, 2018, 04:55:30 pm »

Does that mean it's going to have half the controversial features Diablo III had (Auction house, always-online DRM, etc.)?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 02, 2018, 05:15:25 pm »

Diablo: Immortal

Blizz announced today that Diablo 2.5 is in development for mobile.
That youtube trailer. Man. 62k thumbs down and counting. 2.5k thumbs up. This thing is hated.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 03, 2018, 04:01:52 am »

Does that mean it's going to have half the controversial features Diablo III had (Auction house, always-online DRM, etc.)?
It means they started with the already-simplified Diablo 3, then started scaling back on complexity until it no longer really filled the whole number. Hence, 2.5 as in a step back from 3, not as in a step forward from 2.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 03, 2018, 07:11:27 am »

Also the story takes place between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 03, 2018, 07:54:46 am »

That youtube trailer. Man. 62k thumbs down and counting. 2.5k thumbs up. This thing is hated.
Blizzard has already reuploaded it in an attempt to get rid of the thumbs down. The original video has almost 200k thumbs down. It can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtSmAwpVHsA
This is kind of why its becoming a bit of a pr disaster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glm8pc0fDUc
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 03, 2018, 10:37:26 am »

I'd play a dumbed down diablo game on mobile if it was halfway decent and not incessantly pushing its cash shop on you.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 03, 2018, 11:20:11 am »

Diablo 3 is 6 years old at this point, and mobile technology has advanced greatly during that time. I would not expect that it would need to be 'dumbed down' all that much. Some changes to the control scheme would have to be made of course, but other systems could be refined and even improved.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 03, 2018, 11:36:48 am »

Diablo 3 is 6 years old at this point, and mobile technology has advanced greatly during that time. I would not expect that it would need to be 'dumbed down' all that much. Some changes to the control scheme would have to be made of course, but other systems could be refined and even improved.
How would one go about implementing access to 5-6 active abilities on a mobile platform without A) Horribly cluttering the screen, or B) Requiring a pause menu interaction to use them? Even with the restructuring of the UI to make it accessible on console, there are several specific actions a player is supposed to be able to access at any given time. With a phone touchscreen, there aren't many sane ways of interpreting so many varied inputs. Especially not if you hope to keep each one separate enough to minimize risk of activating the wrong ability and wasting mana/cooldown as well as throwing your combo off.

It's not a matter of graphics or processing intensity, it's a matter of input intensity and complexity.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 03, 2018, 12:07:20 pm »

There are plenty of action games currently on mobile that utilize 6+ active abilities which can be quickly accessed. I'm not saying that it is easy to make a complex GUI which is both intuitive and functional, but it has definitely been done. It helps a lot that the average screen sizes and resolutions have been gradually getting bigger.

Just offhand, Honkai Impact has buttons for attack, dodge, weapon ability, ultimate ability, contextual skill, and team skill. And Dragalia Lost has 3 weapons skills, a dragon transform button, and combined mid-screen movement and basic attacks.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 03, 2018, 01:18:03 pm »

The worst thing about this is that it's pretty much going to be an asset swap for a Netease (chinese mobi company) game called Crusaders of Light. The Chinese call Netease 'pig farm' because they treat their customers like pigs, and they're renowned for making shitty P2W games.

It really is the worst move they could ever make. Like astoundingly bad.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 03, 2018, 02:49:08 pm »

Blizzard has already reuploaded it in an attempt to get rid of the thumbs down. The original video has almost 200k thumbs down. It can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtSmAwpVHsA
This is kind of why its becoming a bit of a pr disaster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glm8pc0fDUc

I love the guy that asked if this is an off season april fools.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 17, 2018, 04:42:21 am »

Fortress Legends (now defunct) actually did d3 style gameplay pretty well, and it was years ago. I reckon they *could* do diablo-style gameplay on mobile, it just depends if they do it right.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157009.msg6879806#msg6879806
Admittedly, this was all "user-generated" content, but that's actually harder to do than procedural (there's an entire back-end needed for people to make their little fortress deathtraps for others to raid). It only had 4 skills (choosable, and very different skills depending on class) and basic attack, but it was pretty fast and fluid at what it did. Controls were responsive, even during lag, and tactics and builds were various enough that you thought "oh, good, we've got one of them on our team this raid. Sweet. I'll mix my own tactics up a little."

And it was free and fair. Always online, almost always multi-player, but it was even pretty good at that.

So it's doable. It just depends on whether or not Blizzard has any intention of making it good and long-lasting and not just a cash grab.

Fortress Legends is still some of the most fun I've ever had in a mobile game, ever, bar none. If anything, it was too free and fair, so Bandai Namco had to rip the servers eventually. You didn't have to pay squat to become a pretty powerful character. But wow. If Diablo Immortals has even a drop of what that game did, even without all the BS timers and "create your own dungeon" thing, I think they can do it.

It was a flash in the pan, but that game reminded me more of d2 than any other action RPG on mobile that I've played before or since. And I've played a tonne of them these days, and gotten rather good at some of them. But if Blizzard can do something remotely similar to Fortress Legends, I'm in :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 05:19:34 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 18, 2018, 05:37:04 pm »

So revisiting a few oldies since I've been trapped with no wifi lately and prodding stuff I had on my phone... (It's amazing what you'll find entertaining when on a 10 hour flight.)

Night of the Full Moon: Still an excellent fantastic sort-of Slay the Spire. (Allegedly, it's closer to an Apple-only game, but I don't have anything in that ecosystem.) A good amount of character and rather numerous options. Also the first time I've actually purchased something off the Google Play store (additional characters; think the Silent/Defect).

Triglav: Isometric soft puzzle ARPG. Controls fairly well. Has permadeath, but you can buy fairly inexpensive extra lives with in-game currency (or get them as drops). Micropay for extra character slots, or storage slots. (Not necessary, but it does make it easier to do a deathless run.)

Spaceteam: Social game, and I'm fairly certain it's for-pay. Basically, every person has a spaceship control panel with various nonsensical options, and things that somebody has to do to keep the ship from certain doom. ("Set the fluxobob to 4! Turn off the hazematic! SHAKE!")

Onitama: Picture a 5x5 chessboard; each side starts with a king on a power point flanked on each side by two pawns. Victory is either capturing the king, or moving your king to the opposing power point. What makes this interesting... there are five different potential moves that are in varying patterns. Each side has two possible moves, and the fifth move rotates between the two players and can be used next turn (the most recently used move goes to the other player for use in their next turn [so it's not immediately usable]). And some of those movement patterns are kind of annoying.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 19, 2018, 01:33:51 am »

On the App store at least, it's free - the only in-app purchase being "Unlock All Upgrades".

Dunno what that does exactly, but whatever.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 09, 2018, 12:57:30 am »

So I've been doing a lot of travelling lately and have been working my way through various offline stuff I had on my phone when I rediscovered Sproggiwood (again).

So... Does anybody know if finishing all stages on all characters on Savage difficulty opens anything beyond a sense of accomplishment? Figure it's good for two more flights.

And that would be a resounding 'no'. Not even a sense of accomplishment. Totally had to cheese my way through it for three characters too, since I Just. Could. Not. do half the stages on them properly.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 57