Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 115569 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #585 on: March 19, 2019, 11:39:10 am »

It has some repetitive bits, but Underhand kind of feels like if Alexis Kennedy's cultist simulator was a bit less high concept and a bit more fun.

In general, I use my phone for management type games. I found Lord of Dungeons to be quite tolerable, since although it has tons of different resource currencies and a gacha, they're actually different and interact in meaningful ways, and you get enough free stuff to never pay. It gets samey after a while, but what doesn't?

Well, Realm Grinder at least took a year to. It's originally an in-browser game, but has a good phone port. It's in the general cookie clicker style, but much longer and more elaborate, and the levels of advancement are well paced so that just as you get a good mastery of all the game elements you've unlocked, you unlock something new.

The one I'm on now is Idle Apocalypse, a bit shorter and simpler, but still well designed throughout. It has a nice aesthetic and theme.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 19, 2019, 04:50:56 pm »

Well, Realm Grinder at least took a year to. It's originally an in-browser game, but has a good phone port. It's in the general cookie clicker style, but much longer and more elaborate, and the levels of advancement are well paced so that just as you get a good mastery of all the game elements you've unlocked, you unlock something new..

I just got back into Realm Grinder - it's fantastic. It's a weird one though, because on the face of it, it looks really really simple and if you don't know how deep it is then it feels as though you've done everything after you've played through a few factions. I feel so many people will have missed that it's actually super deep. 
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 20, 2019, 05:08:42 am »

Realm Grinder looks interesting, thanks guys.

Shiren the Wander is out for iOS but only in Japan right now. They'll do a translation maybe?
https://www.siliconera.com/2019/03/12/mystery-dungeon-shiren-the-wanderer-now-available-for-ios-in-japan/

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 20, 2019, 05:54:55 am »

Probably? Iirc there's already an official translation somewhere or another, on some platform I'm forgetting, so most of the barrier to it's already down.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 21, 2019, 08:46:23 am »

There's a SNES translation floating around under Mystery Dungeon 2: Shiren the Wanderer. Romhacking.net has a good bit of info on it. So emulatable on anything. This is for information purposes only (not all of us read moon-speak).
It's a game. Have fun.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 21, 2019, 09:05:38 am »

In general, I use my phone for management type games. I found Lord of Dungeons to be quite tolerable, since although it has tons of different resource currencies and a gacha, they're actually different and interact in meaningful ways, and you get enough free stuff to never pay. It gets samey after a while, but what doesn't?
I'm really getting into this one - quite a lot of fun. I just wish your advisors weren't quite so... bouncy... it makes me vaguely embarrassed to play in public.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 21, 2019, 10:17:37 am »

I'm not saying that made me download it, but can confirm.... Potentially incorrect physics at play. But it is good advice, so, it probably evens out. Or jiggles rythmically. Or something. Quite hypnotic in its own way, the advice is. Sort of reminds me of Dragon's Crown, but they are learned scholars of dungeon managementship, and slightly less overboard, so I do agree with advisors as such.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:20:59 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 23, 2019, 08:17:58 pm »

Played an hour or two of Starlost. It's a bit grindy, but I'm slowly getting a few of the quality of life features installed on my ship (tractor drone, and soon a mining drone too. Will get some more combat ones later). A few rockets, a few railguns, some ion beams and a plasma caster or two and I'm pretty happy with my ship combat-wise. Rarely ever do the charge-and-shotgun thing any more, so it feels like I'm fighting properly, not just jousting enemy swarms. Only up to sector 4, but I wanted to grind a bit to try out some different weapons and upgrades. Battles are pretty easy so far.

Hoping that the Alternator actually does charge my energy at a decent rate, because that's as much of a limiting factor as my cargo capacity for now. Will edit post to say if it's any good.

Turns out you can just use a bottom-left thumbstick control, so it feels way less weird to control with that enabled.

Protip: putting one of your ion beams onto weapon control grouping and then hitting that button once the others are on cooldown gives you a far longer beam time. Sure, it splits your damage up, but since you waste most of it anyway, splitting them up works well. Their cooldowns cycle from that point, so it's a one button press per battle thing, so it's easy enough. I tend to throw a plasma caster or two on that as well, because their AoE is only good vs groups, so why waste energy until they're clumped up a bit better?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 08:19:46 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 24, 2019, 04:07:12 am »

The altenator is a bit too good even, only after getting a bunch of t2 weapons and drones did I notice it had trouble keeping up in prolonged battles, but then the upgrade is cheap so it's no longer an issue.

Also the game quickly becomes grindy as fuck which is kinda putting me off atm, especially combined with the checkpoint system which makes you redo certain tedious fights from scratch if you don't clear them all in one go (looking at you hunter stronghold).

And a friendly tip, don't bother researching experimental weapons, while potentially cool, every single one of them costs a 100kk RU's and several nanocores, so they're clearly one of the monetization vectors and not neccessarily a balanced part of the game (unless they actually did balance the game around needing some of them to progress in which case fuck 'em)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 25, 2019, 03:45:59 pm »

I'm pre-Anubis right now, but I'm finding that with point defenses, misc weapons, a pile of range extender/mining/collecting drones, and the regen passives, I can just park somewhere indefinitely and auto-mine in a decent radius, or just camp near the mothership and collect scrap.

...Indefinitely is kind of a short duration in practical terms though, as my phone seems to go to sleep after 60sec with no input, regardless of my phone settings though. No idea why, as everything else is working fine.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 25, 2019, 05:35:48 pm »

I'm playing Night of the Full Moon and enjoying it. Reading about it I found Dream Quest, Lost Portal and Slay the Spire are similar deck building games. Did anyone play any of these? How do they compare to each other in terms of depth and replayability/AI?

edit: Seems like Slay the Spire isn't on mobile and Lost Portal isn't deck building as you go.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:48:07 am by tnc »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 25, 2019, 06:47:52 pm »

We have a slay the spire thread around here somewhere or another, I think. It's pretty great, imo, but I probably wouldn't consider it on mobile unless they pulled something real slick on the modding front when porting it. There's already oodles of varyingly great mods for StS that are only growing in number, on top of a pretty solid vanilla, so unless a mobile version kept things on track on that issue I'd say stick to the PC version.

Though, that said, I'm pretty sure StS has done a good bit to push along the deck building trend that's been puttering about -- night of the full moon came after it, iirc, and riffs on a fair amount of its ideas. It's a legit good game in its own right, by and large.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 25, 2019, 08:36:37 pm »

There's a mobile ripoff of StS with some additions, though the name escapes me. (I think I have a post about it like six months ago.) I ordinarily wouldn't say it's a rip from StS, but literally half the combats were basically reskins, down to the numbers, durations, and mechanics. And I got banned for hacking after my first play session, probably because I was traveling. Edit: Wandering Night

Dream Quest is actually acknowledged as an inspiration by the NotFM staff, as I recall... But only for iOS.

There's also a third on Android that looked pretty solid at first, but then you realize it's basically impossible to finish the second boss without spending real money.

I'd actually say that the production on NotFM is superior to StS, barring a few obvious translation errors (How long is it going to take them to fix 'Maximun'?), and that the combats are actually unique is a nice touch. (In the sense that each encounter you can only meet once in a game.) NotFM is, for better or worse, actually a lot easier than StS though, if you're playing with full stars; it's fairly simple to finish all the classes on max difficulty, with all stars but no revives/extra blessings/extra gold, as long as you exploit the hell out of your class's specialties. (Barring one hilariously off-spec run I had that was just downright stupid.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 12:16:57 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 26, 2019, 03:08:22 am »

Anyone been playing Shadowgun Legends?
Basically a mobile, rather generic Destiny clone. It's quite fun, and it's easy to get sweet loot without shelling out real money, but it does get a bit samey after a while considering there's only one enemy faction.
Perhaps things get spiced up a bit later on, I dunno. The game is still under development, too. I feel like it might have more longevity if one played it with friends!

I'll have to check out a few of the games mentioned above.
Oh, and I've been enjoying The Muscle Hustle and Castle Crushers a fair bit, though the latter is kinda... poorly balanced.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 26, 2019, 05:53:42 am »

There's a mobile ripoff of StS with some additions, though the name escapes me. (I think I have a post about it like six months ago.) I ordinarily wouldn't say it's a rip from StS, but literally half the combats were basically reskins, down to the numbers, durations, and mechanics. And I got banned for hacking after my first play session, probably because I was traveling. Edit: Wandering Night

And the theme is little red riding hood! I assume Night of the Full Moon came first? Anyway, it doesn't show up on the appstore.

I'll be buying Slay the Spire guys, thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 57