Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 115204 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2016, 09:20:28 pm »

I meant that it doesn't give you two magic burning effects with the sword. It just refreshes the 100 potential burny thingies coming out of it. So you'll always have them going against any decent sized group of enemies, even with only 35-45 magic (for 70-120 MP swords, with 35 being "close enough" to 100/3 for the flame sabel(4), and for the previous tier of 70MP swords for 2-swing charging, then up it to magic 40-45 later on for the 120-130MP late-game ones if you want). Easy stat-wise, nothing wasted. It's like how 12 dex isn't bad on a magic sniper, due to 4/3 divisors on min/max base damage, but any more is a bit of a waste. 12 might be too much really.

You can have more than 100 burny things on-screen with a decent bit of burn-time boost, but it won't literally multiply (stack another 100 immediately) with each swing, because it takes two to three swings for the effect to run down anyway. So as long as you can "refresh" within 2-3 swings, it's continuous. So any more than 35-45MP can be pointless with swords/gladiators. Maybe 50-70 could be worth it for faster wind-up, but when it gets going, it keeps going with 35-45 anyway. Which means more HP from the saved stat points. Which is essentially more life from each onigiri anyway, probably 20-30% more than a well stat'd boxer (and a tiny buffer of HP on resurrects too).

Most boxer stuff does stack directly (ie, happens all at once AFAIK), so high MP is worth it.

I don't think MP modifies elemental sword damage at all, just how many swings you need to "switch it on". With a burn-time fire gem (4-5), waterfall isn't the word for it. Volcanic eruption of tiny numbers within 1/4 of a screen comes closer. Chuck on a decent fire damage gem to make the numbers bigger. Probably the best "all-purpose" weapon in the game, considering how early you get it and its versatility. Pity that the damage isn't amazing (though not bad when gemmed, against virtually anything. Multi-hit ftw. Closer to a giant fire whip than a sword).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 11:47:48 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2016, 09:37:05 pm »

It doesn't, nah. The priest boost does, though. Even for poison, which is interesting. Boost's the only way to increase the damage of the secondary effects besides the jewels, iirc. Want to say even red/yellow/crit only jacks the base weapon damage. Means if you're going anything magic based except something revolving around freeze or maybe a jacked up slow, you really want at least one priest, even if you're just using red/black stones to boost the % buff without investment.

E: And yeah, it looks like most swords do act differently vis a vis effect stacking. I want to say they're actually the only one that works that way. Everyone else stacks that stuff into a towering damage mountain from hell.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:42:11 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2016, 09:46:17 pm »

Yeah. Just checked my copy on this phone and all my files are from when I didn't know how the game works. I've actually got a dex/defensive priest :)

I'm not saying a bit of defense isn't handy on some levels, but compared to 50-120% elemental damage in mid/end-game, it's nothing. Gem for it or leave it alone....

You don't *need* a strength priest, but they're a massive force multiplier. It's like you've got two of everything for three of your characters, and a random bloke that ping-freezes or poisons or slows stuff for you (while keeping out of the way a bit). So virtually 7 characters of attack with a 100str priest.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:53:05 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2016, 11:08:42 pm »

It's one of the strange things in Stick Ranger.  Gladiators don't need strength or dex, just magic and HP. Mages don't need much magic, just dex and strength. Priests probably only need strength. Archers don't need dexterity, just strength and magic (unless you're going for a full physical damage, which can work, but it needs card-items).

There's other, more hybrid characters available stat-wise, but the d&d trope is inverted a little here. What you "think" is your character's main stat, probably isn't. Unless you're going for something specific.

It is so incredibly hard to stick to "stat builds" for later game stuff though, even if you know how it works. Not when you can bust heads, really hard, right now. Are 10-20 points of dex wasted on a priest, early on? Yes, totally. That could be 10-20% damage later on, for your entire party. But the dex points will coast you through some of the early game stuff really well, and save you a tiny bit of HP "here and there" later on. It's so hard to plan late-game stuff around what doesn't work early-game, and vica versa. Maybe 2-4 physical defense from a strength priest build isn't that bad.....
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:07:33 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2016, 08:08:02 pm »

I've stuck with Skyforce Unite for about a week and a half. Currently up to world 11, and can grab world 12's map whenever I want to. Still free-to-play, because why would I pay for a simple RPG? Seem to get 12 "mile points" a day and 3'ish medals (ingame currency) for consecutive days of logging in, but after missions/chests/blue squares/level clears, it's probably closer to 40-80 mile points and 10'ish medals. Enough that I do "speed-up" upgrades with tokens whenever I can't be arsed waiting, and repair costs are usually a non-issue, even with skill levelling chewing up the mile points. Cash is similarly not a problem.

About level 45, rank 30'ish (?), with my Ranger/Merchant/Knight apprentice still carrying the team on items/money/picking/scouting when needed. Plus, she's got a 2-star Dolphin bomber thing that is twice as good as any other hunk of junk I'm flying. Dodges damn near everything, has 730AP/480life anyway (soon to be boosted), with a donking big V4 Saturn engine. Plane's level 35 or so, but I'll chuck the next set of eggs at it to get it to lvl 40-45. A worthwhile investment :)

She out-stats my "main" pilot by miles, so between the plane, all the halfheartedly levelled gubbins, the H2V12 rockets, and whatever else I dump on the thing, most encounters are over in one turn.

If you ever see Air (or Air girl) of sambojin's Valkyries on there as free help, grab her. The lockpicks are nice, but the firepower and resilience are ridiculous.

Turns out virtually anything is good if you drop 10-20 levels of stuff in and mod some items onto it. She did 1332 damage in one attack to a brontosaurus, *and* stalled it on the ground, with a modded 7.7mm vulcan. I was rather impressed, considering that was my first ever rare weapon, that I still use and upgrade to this day :)

Better stuff is better, but any PoS works if it's levelled and modded halfway decently. So you can stay ahead of the curve regardless of item draws or p2w stuff. Maybe not in arena, but it's not really a dueling RPG anyway.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:00:09 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2016, 12:52:00 am »

Huh. It turns out there's triple combos on items. I wanted to try it out, and that V4 Saturn engine is the only item I've got with 3 slots available. There's nothing on the wiki about it.

Insect Wings+2, Fairy Boots, Fairy Hat +1 is definitely a combo on engines. I guess they chain. It even gets a blue wings -> purple boots -> blue hat aura on the items in the upgrade box. It only came out to about +35 speed total, but that's pretty good from secondary slots compared to the +22(24?) standard from the insect wing's first slot. They usually give jack all on secondary slots.

Blue/purple/blue on the auras in the upgrade item (workshop) bit, so I've probably got them in the wrong order, but they're all aura'd. That's tripled, kind of. Confirmed :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 01:46:37 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2016, 03:37:59 am »

My Singing Monsters is a cutesy idle game. Basically you place monsters and they make different musical sounds, and once you have a bunch you can get a song going. The monsters occasionally make gold, which you use to upgrade your monsters and get more gold to get different-sounding monsters. I don't usually care for idle games, but this one sold me on the concept of actually creating something.

I've played it for just about ten minutes so I don't know what it's like deeper in the rabbit hole, but so far I think I'll keep playing. Standard microtransaction and advertisement stuff applies.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2016, 03:47:20 am »

Humble Bundle is having another Android bundle. Includes Goat Simulator and some nice puzzles, among others.

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2016, 09:53:51 am »

If I may pitch our own game here I would like to do so. It's for Android and iOS, and very much inspired from FTL. No microtransactions,
advertisement or such bullshit.

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fi.bugbyte.harbinger&hl=en

iOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/fi/app/battlevoid-harbinger/id1010582800?mt=8

We put 2 years on this one, we didn't succeed with the kind of depth FTL has but it has been praised nonetheless. It's on sale right now :)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2016, 09:57:46 am »

I like those but the graphic seems optimized for pointier finger.

I'm gonna wait for Space Haven :P (and will gladly put money on some alpha funding)

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2016, 03:44:56 am »

I like those but the graphic seems optimized for pointier finger.

I'm gonna wait for Space Haven :P (and will gladly put money on some alpha funding)

Haha, well, it depends on your screen size. On a little bit bigger phones and tablets the buttons become huge, since we didn't scale down the UI on mobile.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2016, 05:01:47 am »

I know your pain, I'm fighting screen sizes every day and I'm on the wrong side of the fence (using css and stuff that lies on dpi)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2016, 05:48:11 am »

For a freemium pocket game, FF Exvius is really good.

If you guys want to add me on there, my ID is 656,663,502
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Aqma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2016, 03:09:43 am »

So adding 3 more games to the list I previously mentioned, maybe it helps other people looking for games as well:

Planar Conquest - this is a 4x fantasy turn based strategy game in the vein of Master of Magic, Age of Wonders, Heroes. You build cities, explore, armies, do war (fights are done on a tactical screen when armies meet), diplomacy, huge magic system etc. I find the controls very well done for touch screen, the art is quite nice as well. The IAPs are basically a one time purchase through which you unlock more planes or races. Races also feel quite diverse to me.
I've been playing this for a few weeks now and I love it, I can't stop playing!

Star Wars Knights of the old Republic - port of the PC RPG game, seems to be a straight port, but adapted for touch controls.

Day R - a survival, crafting & exploration game. As you need to take care of hunger, thirst, radiation, posion level - it can get quite brutal on high difficulty levels. It is rather more menu driven not necessarily very heavy graphically, but I like the art (though a bit grim at times). This one has IAPs in which you can buy coins etc, but these are not really needed with the premium version - just makes the game easier in my opinion, which in the end for a survival game it might beat the purpose.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2016, 03:14:44 am »

PSA Stay the fuck away from Planar Conquest. Ignoring for a second it takes forever to load, which might be fine (for someone else) at every start it tries to sign in your itunes account which is shady af.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 57