Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 115263 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #630 on: July 17, 2019, 07:13:53 am »

So... are there no real mobile colony sims?! Or am I just using the wrong search words in the Play store? I'd be alright with the most abysmal DF clone, really, just anything in the same genre I can play on my phone.

Seems bizarre that there are no such games available for Android...

Prison Architect is on android now. I haven't tried the mobile port.

Fallout shelter is a colony sim. But it is F2P with micro transactions.

Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadville is turn based and not really the same genre, but you are managing survivors in a colony, exploring, building. I never ended up sinking a lot of time into it, but it seemed okay.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 17, 2019, 08:02:07 am »

There's Galimulator, but that's more... watch abstract galactic civilizations rise and fall. Mostly fall.
Interesting! Not a colony sim, exactly, but it looks like it could be a good hands-off gaming experience nonetheless.     

Prison Architect is on android now. I haven't tried the mobile port.

Fallout shelter is a colony sim. But it is F2P with micro transactions.

Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadville is turn based and not really the same genre, but you are managing survivors in a colony, exploring, building. I never ended up sinking a lot of time into it, but it seemed okay.
Fallout Shelter I've played, it was alright I guess - but it seemed like you had to keep checking in all the damn time to prevent things from going to shit. I imagine by now my vault is full of corpses, and I don't think I could be bothered watching the number of ads necessary to bring 'em back, haha...

I didn't realise PA has a mobile port! That's actually quite exciting, considering I'd been meaning to get back into it anyway!
I've seen Rebuild 3 recommended in a few places. It looks like it could be interesting, but I'm not sure I wanna sink the $$$ necessary to find out.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 12, 2019, 04:11:48 pm »

just got a suggestion for mini trucker https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fkgames.minitruckergame

it's like hill climb racers before it became infested by loot boxes, but you drive trucks and you don't race a timer but make money delivering cargo

pros:

not madly focused on monetisation (yet!)
quite some content to unlock and balance isn't excessively grindy
cargo weight is well done, doesn't just slow you, like the loaded axle get more traction etc so 4x4 isn't always the answer
optimizing routes is nice if you like those kind of games
options! you can optimize for road or off-road and then find the most suitable route for your truck

cons

repetitive because there's not enough variation in the road generation algo
not enough challenging, you can skip off-road of you want to and low gearing+large fuel tank makes hills a non issue

things is whish they'd add:

advanced factories that only produce after being fed their inputs
more reasons to risk off-road
manual transmission

starting tips: logs and planks are very valuable, you can carry three plank on the starter truck if you rotate them vertically, making the forest sawmill furniture loop is not too hard. I suggest to upgrade engine and field tank before getting the first trailer. beware the second truck: it can't attach a trailer and has a low clearance.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 04:57:59 am by LoSboccacc »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #633 on: September 13, 2019, 10:23:23 pm »

Mini Trucker has my interest but it's a little slow for my liking so far. I'd love if it was more fleshed out

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 28, 2019, 07:23:05 pm »

Finally got around to finishing Stick Ranger (it's been sitting on my phone for ages). So, now, I'm going to do it again with a different team composition... Lol

Had a quick go of Cave Heroes. It's an incremental hiding in an idle game, made by the same people that made Idle Apocalypse. Nicer graphics, but actually kinda worse in every other way. Don't know why, it's hard to judge a screen saver, but it is.

Played a bit of Cavefall. It's a single-tap jump-to-the-other-wall game. I think it was on freebie sale last week. It's actually quite good for what it is.

Downwell is like that, but it's not single-tap, there's an actual controller. This, strangely enough, makes it worse on the mobile platform. Just a really crappy control scheme they implemented. Streamers gave this game a fair bit of love on PC at one point, and it's free (or was a day or two ago), so maybe give it a try. It could just be me with the controls.

Templar Battleforce RPG and King of Dragon Pass are both on sale right now, and I can heartily recommend both of them, even at full price. But cheaper is good.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:28:08 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 28, 2019, 08:11:54 pm »

It's not mobile, yet, but you might be interested to know that dan-ball has started working on Stick Rangers 2. Looks like it's going to be a bit more contained than the first, but it's already fairly interesting.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 28, 2019, 08:17:04 pm »

Path of Adventure...

It's a free lightweight text/menu driven RPG that's pretty minimalist.

You basically have 50 steps between the start and the boss, and you have to prep as best you can. Every step is an encounter of some kind, whether it be a combat, a side zone to explore (one step for the entire area), a merchant, etc. Size zones are the bulk of it, and it's largely a series of judgement calls-- waste a use of the flaming sword to light the cave in hopes of more loot, or skip it? Is worth keeping a lockpicking knife in your limited equipment slots when it has lousy stats to avoid having to carry keys?

The miniboss and final boss are random, with each one focusing on a specific stat. For example, the high dex one is going to be hard to hit, so you'll either need an equally high dex to counter it, something that'll debuff it, and probably something with a high block since evasion isn't going to be reliable.

Monetization is nigh nonexistent; I believe the only case is to resurrect a character that died. You can't even pay for unlocking alternative classes; gotta do it via finishing the others.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 30, 2019, 01:19:56 am »

ranDungeon is a fun little time waster I stumbled across. It's a mixture between a twin-stick shooter and Gauntlet (sort of like Heroes of Loot) with a bit more character customization and iteming. It's not exactly deep, but it can be fun. Occasionally items will have suffixes (always keep at least one +pickaxe item) or will have decent special effects for you to use off your mana. Can also be played as an actual shooter if you use a bow (don't forget to buy thousands of arrows), but I usually just melee it.

Anyway, it's kind of fun for what it is. Monsters do get a bit more variety later on, and chest mimics are a horror at the start, but it tends to boil down to "get the most strength/endurance you can and whomp on things". There's a few little environmental things like spider webs generating spiders, etc, but it's a really simple little game. I quite like it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:21:35 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 30, 2019, 05:13:23 am »

Had another go of Age of Fantasy, which I haven't played in a couple of years. Boy has it expanded. Two new races (Dwarves and Scalefolk/Kobolds/Lizardmen), tonnes of new units for the existing races (Humans, Orcs, Undead and Elves), still a slightly clunky interface (getting a builder to build from inside a town requires more clicks than you'd think it needs), but lots of little quality-of-life improvements as well. Plenty more maps and campaigns to play too.

Think Fantasy Generals, but scaled back on the graphics a bit. The makers of the game also do Age of Strategy (mediaeval warfare) and Age of WWII (WWII warfare), but I like the fantasy genre more for all the weird and whacky stuff your units can do.

This is still one of my favourite turn-based war games on mobile. It's oldskool as, not p2w, has multi-player (if you don't mind a game that could last weeks), and has tonnes of content (even story-based narrative campaigns, and modding, so you can make them yourself). I haven't even tried the new races yet, but there's something satisfying in how each faction plays. Undead will swarm the field with spam troops, slowly turning the tide as they raise your fallen, while their heavy hitters and mages do the tactical strikes. Elves will blot out the sun with their archers, while overwhelming you with druid summons and ents. Humans crank up the armour and technology a notch, and try and heal their way through battles while using R/P/S match-ups to win. And Orcs, well Orcs do everything.

If anything, orcs are too powerful, with cheap-yet-good foot troops (Merlocks and Minotaurs and basic orcs), great light cav (raptor riders), nice quirky troops, good archers (archers and axe throwers), spammable swimmers, cheap/fast builders and fairly good buildings (an Orc Hut does infantry/light cav and ranged, but so does a monster den kind-of as well. It's hard to make a wrong choice). And amazing magic. That's their main decider. Did you get your Orc Shamans up near the front in time? If so, your troops are amazeballs, otherwise they're just average/cost-effectively good. Anything with +6 attack and/or double-strike goes from "meh" to *super-elite* with the click of one-two shaman spells (giant strength and doublestrike). I guess it's just synergistic with how I play and the game style. Fast, cost effective raiders, that get buffed to high heaven and dominate certain areas. Oh, they get some healing too, off the same troop type. They're awesome. The difference between making one 4-turn building from 2 2-turn builders (so it takes two turns) that can do everything, and you've got a tonne of good 2-3 turn troops to create, and easy magic to make them great, simply outstrips every other factions supposed "advantages". You're also the perfect ally in team games for this reason. You can do everything, quickly, and your magic is if anything more relevant to them than it is to you. Cover their weaknesses or expand on their strengths, the choice is yours. You can play defensively too, with one of the better tower buildings available, that throws fireballs to clear out waves.

(it you're going to spend gems on any race at the start, do it on orcs. The 20 the game gives you, plus 20 for d/ling their other titles, gives you everything you need. It's mostly the cheap and fast builders combined with the multifunctional buildings. You start quick, and then can go any way you want from there. They're just a very well-rounded race for very little investment, both with gems and in-game)

Anyway, even with some balance concerns, it's a fun game, and like I said, it's satisfying to win at. Each faction has a couple of things it's good at, so they're not entirely one-dimensional, and when it all falls into place you feel like a genius. Or an Orc. Orcs are great :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 07:43:10 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 01, 2019, 09:49:49 pm »

I recently installed Last Cloudia.
This one most reminds me of the early Star Ocean games. Pixel graphics, with combat fought on a 2D isometric plain where characters move and autoattack on their own while players choose when to use skills for burst damage or defense. The story involved frequent use of dramatic imagery, with giant monsters bursting out of things and noble heroes rising up in a jet of flames to do epic battle, accompanied by suitably grandiose musical scores.

There are of course gacha mechanics, with regular events to supply unique items and premium currency to players who choose to be active rather than spendy. Pay-to-progress is not really a problem.

Overall, I rather enjoy this one, and recommend it to fans of this sort of thing.

I also recently installed American Dad: Apocalypse Soon.
This one is a house-management game, wherein the Smith's oversee a household full of Roger clones who generate various currencies and train for battle. Combat consists of preparing a team from 3 different classes, including Warrior who is the tank type, Gunslinger who is primarily single-target dps but can also optionally equip a bit of debuff/disable, and Electrician who can be a mage for aoe-dps or a healer.
Progressing through the story hits a wall fairly quickly, and you'll need to collect resources to advance. You can make your Roger's slowly grind out materials, or you can raid other Smith houses and steal their resources, which often helps progress move a bit faster. There is also a tournament mode which awards another currency that can be used to purchase rare equipment with powerful effects.

Again, I'm finding this to be an overall enjoyable experience and recommend to those who like this sort of thing.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 04, 2019, 08:16:54 am »

On Age of Fantasy, it turns out you can get 50 gems just for leaving a review (it doesn't have to be good), and there's campaigns you can do in an afternoon for 20+ more. Really easy campaigns (try the Orcs Rebel one, it's a gimme). So, 90-110+ gems are doable within a couple of hours.  20 from game, 20 from downloading 2 other games from the dev, 50 for a review, +orcs rebel 20-30 inclusive.

Not p2w. Just mooching every race into "OP as F, for free". But yeah, $20Aus google-money, here or there, won't hurt me if we do a b12 player-base thing.

Anyway, I might make a new thread and make a strategy guide, etc soon. If anyone is keen in joining up for a few blitz games (do 4-8 turns within an hour or two some days), give me a yell. I like oldskool turn-based strategy, to the point that I'll grab GooglePlay credit for you so you can do some unlocks quickly, so it's a truly fair playing field.

(turns out the other races are reasonably "balanced", but they certainly need Building and Troop unlocks through gems. Buildings definitely. Orcs don't. Or get super troops really easy (Minotaurs, etc). But $20 Aussie will get you everything you need, and I'm *definitely* winning on the Melbourne Cup tomorrow. See if I don't).

(it's also kind of cool that you can set up a Skirmish match as an AI vs AI match. Idle games? Nah. Just funny screensaver war simulations. It's not as good as SNES Ghengis Khan II for offline background blah, but it's not bad. No internet needed to watch a bad AI play turn-based strategy is good. Internet's for multi-player)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:49:59 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 05, 2019, 05:32:09 am »

No internet needed to watch a bad AI play turn-based strategy is good. Internet's for multi-player)
Not nearly enough games do this... Sometimes I wanna think and be challenged and possibly even attain victory... Sometimes I just wanna watch the carnage.

Speaking of toys, anyone have experience with Worldbox? Saw some videos on YouTube and it looked interesting, but I'm curious what it's like for actual mobile usage. And what the free version is like.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 05, 2019, 10:50:32 am »

I mean, I just tried it and it's... there. You can fiddle around a bit, but nothing much interesting seems to happen without intervention, so. It's not very simulation-y.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 05, 2019, 11:53:23 pm »

I didn't realize Stick Ranger 2 was a web-app thing. I even got surprisingly reasonable frame rates on my Oppo f1s on Opera browser (I tried Opera, Firefox, Chrome and the branded Opera my phone came with, and the normal Opera browser seemed the fastest. Opera Classic didn't load it). Probably only 8-10fps, do it's pretty slow-motiony, but it's usable. Just.

So it's semi-playable on mobile right now. Just keep scrolling down the page a bit. If your phone has more grunt than mine (most do these days), you'll probably find it's OK. You might need to scroll around a bit on the far right of the page to see the whole play area (depending on your phone resolution), but it's doable.

https://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/ranger2/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 01:42:28 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 06, 2019, 10:12:48 am »

Rogue Adventure is a mishmash of game mechanics that's been pretty fun so far.

You pick your class when you start. This does things. I'm not sure what as I've only got the starter. Perhaps it customizes your deck.

You start with a deck of cards that you can modify as you go. You can theme it (the Angel cards, for instance, have increased effects for each other Angel card in your deck) or just throw in whatever looks neat.

There's something that I'll describe as "the FTL system map" that allows you to choose your path to the current boss.

You have to watch a video to unlock chests but something bugged out for me and the videos stopped playing, just giving me the goods.

Shops are scattered throughout the dungeon, allowing you to buy cards for the coins you get from chests and when you kill creatures or purchase upgrades for your character with the crystals you get from chests or foregoing a card pick.

There doesn't seem to be any form of monetization.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 57