Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 115337 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #645 on: November 06, 2019, 11:02:49 am »

I've played a decent bit of Rogue Adventure, so can chime in.

There is a monetization part - there are occasional ads including when opening mid-run chests, and making a one-time purchase (i.e. the normal sort of purchase) will end those. You can also unlock the other classes and whatnot instead of leveling up for them, I think?

Different classes generally have a twist, rather than a fundamental difference, that will likely influence your deck selection choices. E.g. the paladin gets healing for combat cards in their hand at the end of turn, shaman applies debuff when using magic cards. A couple do modify their starting hands.

There are a good number of interesting synergies one can reach through combinations of character, cards, and perks. I don't think it quite has the replayability of some of the biggest entries in the genre, but it is a good game and still getting updates.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 06, 2019, 01:26:06 pm »

You have to watch a video to unlock chests but something bugged out for me and the videos stopped playing, just giving me the goods.

I don't suppose you have any idea what caused the bug? I know heavy Noscript use can cause similar bugs on desktop browsers, for instance. Sometimes having ads bug out instead of work correctly is useful.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 06, 2019, 01:37:37 pm »

You have to watch a video to unlock chests but something bugged out for me and the videos stopped playing, just giving me the goods.

I don't suppose you have any idea what caused the bug? I know heavy Noscript use can cause similar bugs on desktop browsers, for instance. Sometimes having ads bug out instead of work correctly is useful.

Not a clue. Xperia is a neat phone line but this one's becoming a serious piece of shit. Given my past issues with this phone, I'm working on the assumption that rebooting would fix it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 06, 2019, 02:26:31 pm »

Probably not. I'm not even on a phone and ran into the same thing. Also the boss ad thing borking up and giving me nothing but gems to choose from for a boss reward. There's apparently some bugs involving the ads that have nothing to do with your specific device.

Neat enough slay the spire style mobile game, tho'. Doesn't seem bad.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 06, 2019, 02:28:52 pm »

I paid the money to cut out the ads, so can't comment on that. Normally beating an area boss gives you a selection of rare/gold cards alongside the crystal option.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 06, 2019, 05:34:12 pm »

Yeh. If it works right, that's also what happens in the free/un-dosh version. If it doesn't work right (skip the ad or whatever, I guess, whatever including bugs), you get a selection of only +1 gem.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 14, 2019, 11:00:00 am »

Just started playing a bit of Event Horizon: Frontier again. It's not so much changed as simply geared up the options early-on. Which makes it a hell of a lot more fun, so you can explore the things you can do straight away. You start with 20 stars (unless I just made a purchase several versions ago and it's carried over, or it's a beta tester thing, which I am), which gives you tonnes of options from the get-go.

Like, tonnes. I'm already running around with two fairly kitted-out early game ships (just the scout and the raven), with twin m1 satellites on both, purple/gold torps and cannons (could have gone for anything though) and am looking at duels for cheap/free parts as gimmes. About 8.2/8.2 speed on my Scout (yeah, you get free good engines, or buy some for a couple of stars) already. It's SO much easier so far. Way better than the grind of Event Horizon (original) for getting cool bits and builds going. I'm actually going to restart and min/max the crap out of it. May even do a video guide of how to do so. I thought I was doing that, but I now realize the amount of amazing low level gear you can get. I'm not even past 1-4. Lol.

There's also mercenaries now. They can pilot the two other rust buckets you have at the beginning. It's amazing. Sure the ships/pilots don't level up quickly, but they certainly do help. And it means your starbase gets +2 customizable infinite-range super-drones from the start. For about 104 credits if you grab the tutorial ones. Throw some 1000-2000 credit m1 satellites on each of them, and it's like having 6 super drones of best-you-can-grab universal-slot firepower helping you out. They're great. The kill-stealing little SoBs :)

Oh, and missions. Like side missions. You fly around for ages, solo, without your starbase or mercenary crew, at blue dots and wait a bit. Sometimes an enemy or two will turn up, so you murder them. And keep flying towards the blue thingy. Then wait at the blue thingy. It's like exploration from the original, but more interactive. It also gives you amazing parts and pieces and is an incredibly rewarding use/waste of time. Bring a fast ship (your scout at the beginning). And get all the things for either free, or at a very low cost, as soon as you visit the engineer (sometimes you just get very OP stuff free. Even better stuff than you can use early-on). A nice little addition, and will no doubt get far harder. Killing a few drones or frigates for phat loot is nice. Cheaper than stars, for +40% damage everything, as well as gubbins to match.

Strangely enough, if you do the "tutorial", then go to options on the start screen and restart, you can restart. Except this time, you get the whole merchant/smuggler/mercenary/engineer start screen to each tutorial mission. And really cheap mercs available. So if you don't mind selling 2-6 of your starting stars, you can get some extremely good starting gear (satellites and weapons mostly) for your beginner ships before level 2-1. Pro-tip for new-game+ right there. After countless hours on the original, I've got a pretty good idea of what weapons and modules are "actually really good", but you can grind a bit if you don't know.

Anyway, it's fun, it's good. If you like Star Control 2 style space combat and Stardrive 1 style ship building, give Event Horizon: Frontier a go. It seems like it's outdone it's predecessor, at least for a fast/fun start and actual missions to play. I'll see how it goes long-term this weekend.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 01:09:31 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 14, 2019, 01:44:32 pm »

Okaaayyyy. I didn't realize it was this fast of a start. Maybe the RNG just went "whatever, have it bro".

First+ second "mission", flew towards blue dots, shot some stuff, all before doing level 1-1, using my initial Scout ship with a couple of cheap satellite weapon carriers, and I got: 2 deathray blueprints (very end-game weapon. Kills everything all the time), a cluster missile launcher BP (haven't used one, but it's a long-range missile launcher), 2 heavy antimatter bomb BPs (another ungodly powerful weapon on some ship builds), a pulsar M2 BP (+AoE pulsars are one of my faves), a heavy torpedo BP (standard blow up everything weapon), an inertial dampener BP (the thing that makes ships go quick), a tachyon beam actual part (mini-deathray, have to keep it off my starbase so my ships get kills now. It's that good in early game), and a large drone bay actual part (as well as some more drone BPs for later,  including an S1 small bay for silly shooting range on a drone, because all the drones is a good amount of them to have), and a +20% range large navigation computer so the drones fly out on attack runs for ages. Oh, and an autopilot, so I can screensaver grind this thing out if I want to, with any ship and build.

Well, umm. I think I just won. Eventually. I can't use half the bits yet, but I just got everything I need for when I can. The autopilot fits on everything right now at least.

Thanks RNG. :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 07:25:43 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 06, 2019, 01:25:47 am »

Edit: Apparently this game was removed from the appstore back in May. So bollocks I guess.

Alphabear is a free game made by Spryfox where you match random letters to make words before they turn into stone.

Bigger words and less stone means more points, get enough and you can get golden eggs which let you progress to the next chapter.

You can also unlock bears, which affect what letters are more common and how many points you get for certain combinations. They also wear funny hats.

It's not too bad. Monetization involves a energy system and rare gems coins you get daily which you use to access a special level to obtain exotic new bears. You can also buy more of course. However it doesn't shove ads in your face during gameplay which is what I'm most concerned about these days.

One issue is that I can't seem to find it in the appstore any more. Trying to use a direct link from Spryfox's website tells me it's not available in my region (new zealand) anymore.

It's supposed to be on iOS and Android so if you can find it maybe you'll wanna give it a go.

It also has a sequel, though I can't testify about any annoying advertisements it may have yet.

Edit. Having played it I can now confirm the sequel is full of adverts. It waits until you've sunk time in before it starts hitting you in the face with them. Pretty annoying.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:37:07 am by Fire and Glory »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 06, 2019, 04:22:21 am »

Oh hey, I played the Steam version a while back when they had a free weekend. Was cute and fun in its own way, but the word dictionary annoyed me a bit... Like you could get points for some names, while other words that I know exist and I know how to spell weren't recognized as valid. Or stuff like the singular form of a long word being allowed, but the plural was invalid because they hadn't coded it in yet.

Had some fun, took some screenshots of funny moments, didn't strongly feel the need to buy the full version. But then again, I wasn't buying much of anything at that time, and the game did tickle the ol' pudding a bit.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 06, 2019, 05:58:33 am »

Yeah I wouldn't spend money on it (maybe 2 dollars) but it is nice to have on my phone, better than some of these other things.

Not run into any dictionary troubles yet, but I'm not particularly big brained where language is concerned

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 06, 2019, 10:48:22 am »

Continuing my trek across the MTX hellscape that is mobile gaming, I came across Harvest Town. If you're sick of Stardew Valley but want something familiar though slightly more crap, this is the game for you. Farm. Forage. Log. Woo. Mine. Ranch. Fish. Craft. Fight. Visit other players' manors  to collect special resources.

Combat isn't anything to write home about. When you're near an enemy, a new "sword" button appears on the right side of your screen along with all of your other action buttons. You hold it until one of you dies. Deep dives into the caves require loads of healing items as there's no way to avoid damage.

There are loads of purchasable things and the game tries its best to make purchases an attractive option - you get various daily things, for instance. To claim them for free, you watch an ad. Or you could subscribe to one of two subscription things to get them with no ad. You also can't go to sleep before 8:00 PM so you have to eat food, pay a small sum to idle in the sauna for a bit, purchase milk with fake currency that you've purchased with real currency, or idle at your house doing nothing until bedtime rolls around. Finally, you have teleport scrolls. Using one allows you to warp from one platform thing to another or leave the mine while saving your progress. Progress in the mine is vital as the first bunch of layers only have copper so you need to get quite deep. These scrolls can, of course, be purchased with the aforementioned fake currency. You do get some amount of MTX currency through progression and you have a chance of getting more (MTX currency or teleport scrolls) in the daily roulette wheel so it's not an insurmountable problem.

But if you can get past the MTX and jankiness, it's alright.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 11:05:39 am by Mephisto »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 07, 2019, 09:30:08 am »

Maybe a small gripe is that it's a little slow about introducing new towers for you to use

Do you unlock new towers through map progression or something? In the first game, you had a humongous tech tree and could choose which tower to unlock and when.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #658 on: December 07, 2019, 08:38:54 pm »

I think I played the first one but it was way too slow paced and I didn't really feel there was much difference between the towers even though they have a lot of different abilities on paper, whereas in most (good) TDs if you're missing a certain tower against an enemy type you can end up missing it pretty badly

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 11, 2019, 01:41:25 am »

I've just got super into immortal taoist. It's basically a cultivation novel as an idle game.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 57