Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 115140 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #750 on: January 29, 2022, 08:21:50 am »

Can confirm it's a pretty nice take on Magic Survival's design. Notably better in some ways -- among other things, its drops don't disappear, so :V

It is still in EA, though. Still got a ways to go before completion, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 22, 2022, 09:33:25 pm »

Dragalia Lost is ending. RIP.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 23, 2022, 12:41:19 am »

I would like to recommend FTL once again. Remarkably playable on a phone.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 01, 2022, 10:05:04 pm »

^seriously wish they'd ported FTL to Android. Hell, most new phones have big enough screens to actually play it.

Now, onto other stuff. Team SIX - Armoured Troops

Do you wish Cannon Fodder was ported to mobile, but had a full loot/ itemization/ weapon/ gear system, and you could eventually use helicopters and stuff. And it was more like a twin-stick shooter, rather than a pointy-clicky (but you can do that as well)?

Yep, that's what this is. Which is a very good thing. I'll update this post soon, after I've played a bit more of it, but it's looking good and fun so far. I swear I dreamt of a game like this at some point....

---------
Protips so far: Long click each soldier to group them together. Then it's just run them around and murder away.

Watch a few ads, get an "Armour Breaker" weapon or two. You no longer need bazookas or grenades. Your guns blow buildings up fine with that mod. I mean, you can use them, but when your heavy machine-gun and AR blows stuff up too, why bother? Simplicity is a good thing. I also got Grenade Kick on an AR/SMG, so I think I've got grenade defense. So yeah, I'm grouping up for the foreseeable future (until that's really not an option). I also got a couple of god-tier sniper rifles, but can't recruit snipers yet. 5-10mins of watching ads makes this free-to-play as can be. You do get some good stuff, that could carry an entire run, from what I can tell. But the deaths will surely rack-up at some point... It is a Cannon Fodder-like 😵😋

Oh, and no stamina system or anything like that, from what I can tell. So play as you wish. And $1.39Aussie to remove all ads. So, is a good game in that way too.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 10:12:37 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 02, 2022, 02:35:34 am »

Diablo Immortal just appeared.

I haven't tried it yet, but the worst reviews say it's grindy and pay-to-win. Best reviews say it's exactly like Diablo 3, decently ported to mobile platforms.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 03, 2022, 12:38:59 am »

So, like grindy, and not like not Diablo 2 grindy? Ok, got it... Lol

Yeah, that Team Six game wants me to jump through mission hoops just for basic soldier unlocks, like so *go and do a very specific thing, in the way we as the designers specifically want you to do it". And so I couldn't be fucked. It even put timers on those basic "you finished a mission" unlocks, which to me, is just poor form. I know it's a nice sniper mission man, at mission lvl4, but I just wanted a hard-core twin-stick shooter with gear options. Man, Virexian rocks that shit for like $2, with none of that shit! But do it with soldiers and gear options before the mission! Like X-COM style crap.... I swear, they really missed the ball with that one as a basic gameplay loop, even on survival mode.

Still playing the shit out of Angel Saga, because it is literally the best stop'n'shoot game out there. So much better than any archero-like shite, with just extreme "yay, I am now in the top 599 people that play this" curve, knowing probably only 100k at most play it, but that it's a beautiful bullshit-good bullet-hell to play, with significant top-end to what you can do gear-wise. Hell, I just turned my Lightning Ball skill into a spinny-aroundy stun skill, and I can't be happier.  After two years of never levelling it properly. 🤯
But, you always feel powerful, on any given run, never having to watch a single ad to do so. And skill comes into it, because it's bullet-hell small-hitbox, but there is significant top-end to it. It's really good game design.
(Yes, sometimes I buy cosmetic outfits in the game. Not for the bonus, just because it's such a good game)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 01:01:27 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 15, 2022, 07:15:58 pm »

Been playing a bit of UnCiv recently. It's civ5, on mobile, except it's free and there's tonnes of mods, and you get all the DLC for free as well. And it has a few tilesets if you don't like the original one (which I don't).

What I'm actually doing is watching a fair bit of YouTube, trying to find out how civ5 works. I think I've got it now. I stopped playing the series at civ2. Stuff has changed :)

I really like the mod aspect of it. There's a pseudo-Alpha Centauri mod (Alpha Frontier), a rise-from-the-ashes post-apocalyptic one (deCiv), a civ4 one, a civ6 one, and tonnes more races and units and techs and stuff to try out. There's even a Star Wars mod. I'm learning vanilla, but having all these extra gameplay styles to try out makes the effort worthwhile. I've also been playing a bit of FreeCiv as well, for more or less the same reasons. Just wanted some "real" strategy games on my phone, without any hoops to jump through.

I'm also playing a bit of Raspberry Mash. It's a single stick top-down "survivalish" shooter, stop'n'shoot style, and it's quite good. It's been out for ages, I thought it was iOS only, but it's on Android too. Good for a quick laugh. I'm hopeless at it (only got up to level 3), but it's a fairly satisfying game to play, when you need to shoot or slash or repeatedly punch things and make them explode.

And a touch of Hunt Royale, which is, a single stick top-down shooter, but sort of competitive vs 4 players. Stop'n'shoot style, think Archero.  Voxel graphics. With pretty bad matchmaking, but lots of characters to try out. It's good for a quick bit of fun, but I can't see myself constantly going back to it heaps, but it'll sit on my phone for a while. It's not bad, but it doesn't quite stick to me for some reason, even though I like that sort of stuff (I think Robots.io had it a bit better with then team-based aspect of it, even though that game sorta died).

And some of MyHeroes. Guess what it is? It's a single stick top-down shooter! But no stopping needed, just lots of shooting. Auto-aim though, single stick for movement. Cutesy graphics, lots of weapons, cool down special abilities. 5 classes, of which I'm focusing on Priest (with the vague idea that healing and support abilities might open up more nuanced gameplay, but it turns out they're absolute combat blenders as well). It's not bad, but there are some hoops to jump through. Kind of reminds me of Soul Knight, but with more pre-game stats/level-ups, and no weapon changes mid-mission (sorta, sometimes there is, but I've got a couple of ok'ish legendaries within two days of play anyway, that means it's pretty free-to-play. I mean, they give you an awesome assault rifle to begin with, and it's only upward from there. I'm currently using a multi-hit meathook, that I've used the full upgraded version of due to mission "gimmees", so I'm happy throwing playtime/ resources at it). It's more instanced per level as a game, instead of a roguelike "run", which is handy to just knock over a couple of levels sometimes. It's actually pretty well done, but it might become a grind later on.

Angel Saga got another update too. Now there is a survival mode challenge. Sort of Magic Survival vibes, but in one small play area, and tonnes of types of enemies to blat. It's pretty good. And they made some menuing to do for some reason. But you do get a horrendously large amount of free gems at the beginning currently right now, so it wouldn't be a bad time to start playing.

There's heaps of other stuff I've been trying out, but these are just the vaguely memorable ones off the top of my head. Can you tell that I'm unemployed right now?

((Protip for civ5 or UnCiv: All cities start with two food in any tile they're in, minimum. So feel free to build a city on a hill or non-food'ish resource tile. Or wherever really, as long as it has plenty of production or gold. You can't improve that tile,  but you've essentially got a free food improvement or two anyway for it, as well as good production/gold. And maybe good unit defence surrounding too. Or you did a faith/culture *plonk*-mine depending on your starting civ. Once you know this, it's hard to have a truly "bad" start within 1-2 turns on terrain, but you can get an amazing one.
You can also "auto-get" most low-tech luxury resources for your city/empire this way. You can't improve the tile, you've got a city on it, but you do get the luxury resource fully linked, even without the tech needed to get it or taking the time to build the tech/ improvement for it. Happiness/ trading is helpful in the early game, but way more-so in late, so settle in spots that "don't look good" sometimes, because you saved about 5-10 turns for doing so, and that's 5-10 turns of free growth and production and culture. A huge difference from civ1-2, on where you can or should settle. It's not always good (it'd be a better tile "with improvements", and forest chops (from mining? Very dwarfish), etc), but it's free and has a minimum of 2 food and takes zero-time to do so))

(((The Alpha Frontier mod does also blessedly contain a Dwarf'ish civilization, "Deep Rock Ganymede". With the luxury Stout Ale, just for making decent mines. Worthwhile downloading it just for a playthrough of that 😁)))
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 12:08:27 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 17, 2022, 09:48:08 pm »

Diablo Immortal just appeared.

I haven't tried it yet, but the worst reviews say it's grindy and pay-to-win. Best reviews say it's exactly like Diablo 3, decently ported to mobile platforms.

Can confirm from playing a good bit of Diablo Immortal that the majority of what's going around online is not giving a real picture of the game. There is a gem system and as a free player you don't get a whole lot of those. They can technically be bought by buying crests that insure a drop from a run, so basically it's a disguised legendary gem gacha/lootbox. The monetization of the legendary gems is ludicrously extreme and should definitely be shamed, yes, but at the same time, it has next to no impact on the game unless your goal is to be at the top of the ladder in PVE. See, realistically, there is so much RNG to the gem drops that even is you spend thousands of dollars on them you're not likely to come out with too much of value, that is because gems can have 1-5 stars. You can craft 1 and 2 star gems(targetted and random are options) and upgrade them to get a better stat boost out of them reliably. Thing is anything above that is pretty rare and for the higher star gems you need MANY duplicates to upgrade and given their rarity and the RNG of what you get... chance are you're not going to be able to upgrade your 3-5 star gems much at all really. Basically the monetization of the gems is completely pointless, don't throw any money at it. You'll only really get a tangible return on it with thousands of dollars. It's currently inconsequential outside of the fact that it's scummy because making full use of it is just not feasible.

That being said, the gems really don't affect you too much at the moment given maxed higher star gems' power is meant for the endgame we'll have in a year from now or so from what I've heard and really. I've beaten the campaign, gone to Hell 1 and haven't once felt like I was underpowered or needed to pay. I've just been having fun with it. One big gripe is that grouping is sort of forced. in Hell 1 you need at least 2 people to run dungeons, at higher difficulties you need a full 4 man party to even start them.

My main recommendations for mobile games would be Star Traders: Frontiers and Mindustry though. ST:F probably my favorite and is basically a full proper game ported to the phone(also has a steam version), doesn't feel like a mobile game at all.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 09:53:10 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 19, 2022, 04:02:15 pm »

Played some Catalyst Black. It's a twin stick topdown shooter, but with 5-player PvP/PvE, and it's pretty good. (Edit: I'm still really enjoying it after 4-5 days or so. It's fun)

It's also a little unbalanced. Some combos are really good. Like, I'm pretty good at this kinda of game, but I probably shouldn't be getting 19 out-of 25 kills for my team in a Deathmatch. With pretty basic gear. Haven't paid a cent so far.

Or who knows, it's a free-to-play game on mobile, and I've been playing this sort of game for years, so maybe I should. I'm probably mowing down kids, spoiling their fun.
-----
Winning combo.
Your items have "banner bonuses", like a set bonus. 1x gives a bit, 2x gives a lot, then it tapers off. There's a set bonus that gives back life on hit. There is a mini-gun that hits *a lot*, and has +life-on-hit. So it works really well with that. There's another set bonus that gives +30%life, to top it off better. Here's what I use:
Splintered Fate (mini-gun), Catalytic Heal (heal), Belt of Phasing (shield dodge-roll), and Hailstrom (mortar special weapon). These are all really basic gear that you get early on in the game.

All up they give +30%life, +42life on hit, about +500shield per dodge roll, and massive damage output. You've just got to wind the mini-gun up a bit before you engage (it's a twin-stick with aiming if you want it, so use that second stick). You've got 120-132ammo, so wasting a bit is fine. Then, as you start shooting stuff, you become unkillable. And you can roll and reburst, or stop firing for a second and reburst, or launch a mortar and reburst. You've got about 1.4secs or so, which is pretty long, so there's no wind-up for the next victim. I take on 2v1s, 3v1s, etc, and usually walk away with 8-15kills. It's pretty broken.

There is cool down management, it is skill based, but it is also OP as hell :)

((It's great in basic Deathmatch, and Deathmatch with conditions(Hydra), it's not that good in PvE (Colosseum). And honestly, it is skill based. Timing those dodges and group heals and knowing when to retreat is vital to go 15-2 or something. But since you can blast down anything 1v1, it gives you time to get those skills and the feel for those timings. And honestly, it's just which way to dodge roll, forward/back/side-to-side and when to pop your heal. And how to aim with the second stick, that looks like a button. For everything else, there's the above and a flamethrower, or the basic assault rifle. I usually get 8-12kills with either anyway, and they can't nerf them all. These are basic gameplay skills. There's a fair few setups that work, but the "pre-fire the mini-gun a bit, then go on an unkillable rampage" is the most busted combo I've found so far))
-----

(((There are weapon counters. The basic AR counters the mini-gun, flamethrowers counter "group-up DPS" tactics, sniper rifles counter the AR. I'm still not really sure what the basic shotgun is used for, probably sniping out of the grass patches or something. Twin stick shooting or mortars usually counters that though. There's plenty of builds, and weapons do get some amazing upgrades (I don't want the twin pistols, I want a better mini-gun or AR or the mortar primary, but I'd love to see what they can be used for once levelled), so I can say it's free to play. Play it enough, and you do get a fair variety of weapons and gear, even legendary primal beasts, so I can say that it's skill based (everyone has the basic stuff I use to dominate in basic deathmatches), while still being build based on what you want to do. You can sniper, then go primal, and actually effect the match a heap, even if it's not reflected in your kill count. I'm not sure if doing great support is reflected in your "match score", but I've seen people outscore me, even though my K/D was way better, so there's something to be said for that. Use your damn group-heal, people!)))

((((OMFG! There's a minelaying ability, instead of group-heal! And I just got it, and it recharges quickly. Fuck yes! I hate mines. Everyone hates mines. But there's nothing like being good at minelaying 💥))))

(((((Mines are really hard to use properly. But it's also kinda satisfying to just be an Assault Rifle healer, that can bring on the pain alongside a flamer or mini-gunner or even shotgunner. Destroy the enemy's healing with a 2v1 and decent range and instant burst, then dodge roll and pop healing and "occasionally not see the team-death-score go up heaps". I don't know.... The game is not balanced, but it can have unspoken teamplay. Seriously, use the +shield on dodge roll belt, the +group-heal item, and anything's possible. I just got 16kills with a rocket launcher, the even most other support'y weapon alongside a sniper rifle))))

(The primary rocket launcher works pretty well with minelaying, and I average about 8-12 kills with it. It's the only weapon that I never bother aiming with. Just press button, launch explosive, hope. You'll probably miss, but you might not. You might hit a wall and the splash knocks 1/2 of someone's life off. You might accidentally lock onto a meganaut, get double damage, while killing everyone around said meganaut. Results vary.
But I've got so much going on, firing, timing dodges, laying mines constantly, moving, and not-dying-too-much, that it's nice to pair it with a weapon where you just press the "send" button and let the random nature of team multiplayer games work it out for you. It does enough.
It is *hilarious* to mine the landing position of an enemy's jump platform, so it's all worthwhile. Sometimes they even catch on and stop jumping. But almost never 🥷⤵️💥🤬, repeat...)

(In Hydra (Deathmatch with caveats), the sniper rifle or rocket launcher primaries are bullshit good. Especially with minelaying. Want to know what to do, or have a defined role in your team? Just stand on the harvester, moving around lots, repeatedly pressing the "send" button. The sniper also charges your primal form really-damn-quickly as well (and the rest of your team's, so they can have some fun too). Then your team can win via kills, or win via shards. Just keep pressing "send", mine 1-2 entrances, and hold that damn harvester at all costs. Just got 18kills doing that, with my primal form as "nup, not dying now, you are" back-up, and happily reverted to sending/laying form straight after, twice. I still can't work out what shotguns or pistols are used for, but sniper rifles are ace in some game modes. Tight corridor that you *have* to walk down for a victory condition? It's annoying if there's mines and a sniper there, waiting for you 🙂

Still bullshit good with just group-heal. Play mother-hen, with a sniper rifle primary, and a mortar secondary. No-one will touch the shard-nest, but everytime you come to it, you get a free heal! So go and get shards, I've got work to do... Pretty funny on how fast a sniper on a point recharges their primal ability. The opposing team doesn't ever "let's not zerg rush that bit", because it's a potential win condition. So you do so much damage, that you can primal form pretty regularly. There's a "yep, I'm body blocking and doing a bit of damage in this form, but you lot have really got to get your shit together. I'll be back to heal you soon" thing going on. Because it's best to assume the rest of your team is shit, even though it's often you that is. But free heals for win conditions, +plus+ free primal cool down for shooting stuff, just for bringing the mother-hen shards and fighting off the occasionally regular zerg-rush at that location? Priceless)

(Note: just like in robots.io, mines go off almost instantly at close range. So can be considered some form of AoE hand-to-hand weapon sometimes. It doesn't come up often in this game, but you can lay mines directly on people when necessary. Handier with PvE mobs, but at least it's there as an option)
------------

(After 4 days: most enjoyable combo still is shield-dodge-roll belt, insta-group-heal ability, early basic mortar heavy, and basic sniper rifle primary (Primal Eye?). With Torden as my primal. Sniper rifles giving you and your team primal energy is glorious. So is having +30% life and a shield dodge-roll belt. You're a support build, that can just run off on side missions or solo stuff, and "just escape", while also having a big impact. Yeah, Torden's clunky, and actually pretty easy to gun down, but also heavily OP on the damage he does when he does hit. Which is nice as you go from close/long-range support, to picker-tickler, to solo-hero, to stompy body-block, to whateverer.
It's also nice that you're the party healer and enabler of "whatever stupid stuff they want to do as well". I honestly drop back to my "sniper form" pretty regularly, well before my primal HP has let out, just because a sniper rifle + group heal + dodge-shield-roll and a basic mortar is a hell of a lot more useful than "Torden form" could be in some game modes. But big smashy-smashy on a "every sniper shot that hits reduces that cooldown by 10secs" is nice too. 280secs for Torden smashy-form? Nope. It's like 18-24 hits, and the time it takes to hit people while just repeatedly pressing the "send" button varies. Usually about 30secs-2min.
It's also funny that you don't really learn how to use a sniper rifle by using a sniper rifle. You learn it from the other primaries, their ranges, how you'd dodge in that situation, even knowing you're definitely just tapping an auto-aim button with the sniper rifle, while laughing at all the missed shots that with a rocket launcher you would have scored 2-3 kills with. I mean, it's a grim business, being a party support monkey, with the best weapon in the game...)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 07:38:38 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 30, 2022, 10:36:25 pm »

Well, still playing Catalyst Black after two weeks or so. This actually surprised me. It's still really fun.

I have ended up coming down to the primal facts. Squishy builds are hard to use. So if I can use literally anything with +10-+30% health, I'll do better with that than I would with any other build. I got used to the huge +30% life buffer, and can't do extreme-awesome without it, which makes me think that I should use that level of OPness on set values all the time. There's tonnes of other extremely cool shit I could be doing, but HP is a constant worry, so I'll always use it for that.
(Amazingly enough, the recent update gave the basic mortar a range upgrade. It's hilarious, mostly due to it giving half of the set +HP upgrade. And now it launches really-far. It's funnier with a sniper rifle).

The basic mortar and the dodge-roll-shield belt gives +30%HP, so go from there. That damn belt is the *best damn item* in the game, alongside Catalytic Heal. Chuck some dust into both, and use both of them *a LOT*! Saves you, saves your team, plus you've got a random arse mortar button to hit. Happy days! Become unkillable, sometimes, mostly.

Sniper rifles got nerfed. At least, the basic one has. Now they only give -7secs of Primal, down from -10secs. Guess what, I still use a lvl15(5-7'ish star one, I'd have to look. I'm not up to the 4.5secs of -primal infusion yet) basic sniper rifle. I love the lowered primal from shooting people, but I love lowering my teammate's as well. I think(?) it's balanced now. It's still my favourite weapon. It's nice to have "team support" built into a weapon. Weirdly enough, they thought "let's up the range, to balance the nerf!". Yep. It's 16range now. You can press the "send" button repeatedly from your mini-map sometimes....

I'm still learning this game. It turns out Torden's "have 2500+ shield" ability is targetable. Honestly, it's like a skill-shot sometimes. It takes a second or two, and then AoE shields everything on your team in that area. But they've normally dodge rolled out of the way by then. But between being slow, tanky, insta-killy smashy, and everything else, having a 14'ish range(!!!)/6AoE "have approximately as much shield as you do life" pretend *skill-shot* is funny AF. It has a 6 second cooldown. It's fucking amazing.
(Woopsy, missed not having you be dead soon. Oh well, I tried. Seriously, this thing is amazeballs, just take the pseudo-heal. Stacking on Torden for a bit is your next new mission. And yes, it goes through walls. It's funny af in Hydra).

Some of the "basic" weapons are "best in slot" weapons. Some probably aren't. Shotguns barely have a purpose, but with an epic or legendary one, they do. The basic rocket launcher is "better" than the epic one, regardless of clip size. The epic one's projectiles move so slowly, and have *just a little bit too little AoE" to not make it worth it. I still have no idea what twin pistols/ SMGs are for. I wish they just gave all bots the basic assault rifle. They'd be scary AF then.
The legendary mortar primary is "meh", at low levels. Give me literally any other weapon than a basic shotgun or twin pistols and I'd do better. Basically rares/ epics/ legendaries are side-grades and set-bonus swaps, and often aren't all that much better than the common/ rare equivalent that you get for free or early-on. Which is nice, and opens up playstyles, but I do like simply being good at stuff without caveats, and the common/rare weapons and heavys and gear give you that.

Best items in the game are still shield+dodge-roll belt, and insta-group-heal. And the basic mortar heavy (because there's plenty of applicability to delayed damage coming in, on forcing movement or reaping the rewards. Plus, it gives +10% health, all by itself, which becomes +30% with the shield+dodge-roll belt, which makes them both even more Bester in-slot, because you've probably levelled and infused them for ages).

If I could do it all over again, I'd have spent more dust on the three above, and a touch more on my basic sniper rifle, mini-gun, and Torden whatever's. But I have tried to be able to go for a decent chunk of builds to try out. But the above, with a good weapon or three, is fine. It works. It's powerful. But there are plenty of other builds than that. And they work too.

(I'll add to this later)

((It's actually pretty good game design. Can you reliably up your DPS by 30% with gear? No. But you can up your HP/damage by good team play by 30-100+% quite easily, and then work out how to do the occasional team-level play that makes that massive))
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 01:48:31 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 12, 2022, 11:49:07 pm »

Been playing a bit of Horus Heresy: Legions recently. Just wanted a decent card game on my phone.

Think Hearthstone, but Warhammer 30k style (before the WH40k stuff, in that story's stuff). It's actually been pretty fun. Same sort of "every turn you get an extra mana/energy" to play cards that have a certain energy-cost, your cards do stuff or summon troops, but with way more playstyles and "heroes" to utilize, so you can make plenty of varied decks.

But damn, I had to watch a bit of YouTube to work out how this sort of stuff works. You sort of don't have to, you can just play heaps and get the feel for it, but I like knowing a bit of stuff. I hate playing cards truly badly.

Anyway, it's not a bad game. I'm enjoying it. I don't have enough cards, even though I did pay $6'ish Aussie dollars for gold (never doing that again), but I kinda am planning on paying another $26'ish odd dollars for a couple of starter decks eventually.

Main deck currently is Defenders of Caliban, mostly because you can just grab whatever from basic Mechanicum, Chaos and Imperial Army decks, when you don't have many cards. Like I don't. Also mostly because I snagged "Zahariel" as a freebie Warlord/hero on an early pack, and he has a 2 Energy "put a 2/3 Astartes that can't-be-warlord-punched-immediately into play" ability, which at least gives you board-state options and essentially a free card on turn one. He also has a one-off "face punch any troop to death" for one energy, which is helpful as a back-up card, but you need to know when to play it for tempo. But yeah, not powerful in the slightest, but pretty good to learn with. Covers plenty of f'ups as a beginner, but I'm going to get crushed later-on if this is my main deck.

But it has plenty of the tropes already. Lasgun'esque troops, plenty of infantry, some Astartes, some blocking, some buffs, some random stuff. You know, whatever. Defending Caliban.
(Admittedly my biggest plays are "well, didn't that all get chaos'y now?", but hey. Lots of stuff happened during the Heresy. I don't mind making Dark Angels ashamed of themselves 🥳)

So, yep, my deck is a complete mish-mash of vaguely useful cards, and walls, and occasionally useful ramp, and odd buffs/debuffs. Yep, exactly like Hearthstone when you're starting out, except I like WH30/40K stuff better lorewise. And honestly, I've liked this one gameplay-wise a heap better too so far. Only playing it for 2-10 games a day, but it's actually pretty nice to play. Maybe I got lucky on my card selection or something.

I kinda like it, because every game I play, I don't know what sort of deck I'm playing. Is it walls/defender or chaos buffs, or ramp or vehicles or infantry or tactics or whatever? I never can tell. Which means it's a pretty bad deck, and certainly not reliable, but it is fun to try and play well.

Consistent, it ain't. But fun, it is. And it gets the odd win here or there, in the lower brackets. I just don't play enough I think (to see how bad it actually is. Lol).

« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 12:27:10 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 29, 2022, 06:08:06 pm »

Octopath Traveler: CotC appeared on mobile a couple of days ago.

I never played the original so cannot compare the two, but I'm rather enjoying this entry. Only a few hours in, but so far the story is interesting, combat is engaging, and exploration is satisfying.

It's free to play, paid for through a Gacha. My initial impression is that the rates for rare units are a bit too low, and the speed of free premium currency a bit too slow. But this has not yet impaired my enjoyment of the game, so I'll keep going.

Ranged66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 30, 2022, 01:49:03 am »

I've recently been drawn back into Hades' Star again, and it's quite nice. The community (and tools, cooperation, discord trading hubs and all) has developed a lot since I last tried it.

But I've got the urge to play something else, but in the same style. Space-related, multiplayer, persistent... Vega Conflict brings up some decent memories but by god that game is a grindy mess.

There has to be something similar out there, released between 4 years ago and now, right? Anybody know any?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 09, 2022, 09:42:24 am »

Best recommendations for offline Android games for a phone? I'm flying out to Europe this evening and I've got 12 hours of flying ahead of me to fill, which will mostly be in airplane mode.

Mostly looking for Strategy type games rather than action games. Wouldn't mind some colony builders or slay the spire types if any good examples of those exist.

Perfectly fine just paying money for the game, I don't really care for micro-transaction based stuff most of the time.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 09, 2022, 12:43:51 pm »

Siralim Ultimate hit the Google Play store a few months back, if a dungeon crawler/team builder-esque/turn-based-combat game is up your alley. It's ten dollaridoos, but you'd pay about as much for it there as you would, say, on Steam. There's enough content there to last your flight.

I found it to be somewhat easier than the last three entries in the series, but that's due in part to being able to fuse two monsters together so that your own critter has both abilities, plus your player character has class-based abilities, plus the equipment you give to your critters can each have an ability, so there's really a lot of ways to build a powerful team. I built a team on the defiler character class which makes your team perform better as the enemy team has more debuffs, whipped up some critters to get an extra two debuffs to the enemies at the start of a fight to go with the three my character gives them, then I have an attacker which a) gives every one of my creatures a positive buff for every debuff on an enemy it kills and b) attacks twice if another one of my creatures attacks and misses the enemy, which is really cool then because I have another two critters, one which a) will attack an enemy whenever any of my creatures are attacked and b) one which attacks three random enemies whenever I kill one and does a pretty good job of missing its attacks, which then procs the double attack from the first one.

Otherwise, I think the original Disgaea got an android port?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 57