Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 115249 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2016, 01:24:45 am »

If you like gamebooks (a la Lone Wolf, or sort of like Choose-Your-Own-Adventure stories but more game-y), the Delight Games collection is pretty entertaining. You get Coins for completing achievements/finishing stories well, which can be used to purchase later chapters of a story.

I don't know if you can actually unlock EVERYTHING without paying (or relying on the random chance of a daily coin), but I did mange to finish off one series entirely with coins earned from within itself.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2016, 01:31:08 am »

The day they make a "Grail Quest" series in this gaming genre is they day I'll start playing gamebooks again. On a mobile this time though :)

So Santa, sort that out for me would ya?

((bought Reigns as well, because it's a dollar. $1 Australian, so possibly cheaper elsewhere. I've heard stuff about it, and I forget if it was bad or good. But whatever, it was a dollar, I'll play it later.
Huh. For some reason this didn't work on my phone. Oh well. Refunded it.

Battlevoid: Harbinger is also on sale for a dollar, so problem solved. It works fine. That'll fix the BFG problem until I decide if I really want it.

Grabbed King of Dragon Pass too, thus neatly fulfilling my nostalgia for gamebooks. And so ends my xmas spending spree on mobile "crap". I'm relatively happy with my purchases, I've got a few dollars left over (probably for Magic Dosbox, because it's like 100 free games that are crap on phone without it) and heaps of playtime ahead of me for it. Thanks Santa! Merry Xmas all!))
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 04:51:32 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2016, 05:28:57 pm »

The day they make a "Grail Quest" series in this gaming genre is they day I'll start playing gamebooks again. On a mobile this time though :)

I don't know much about gamebooks, but it could almost be a roguelike sort of thing where each challenge is randomly picked and flows into the next. It seems to me like "endless" games do much better on mobile than ones with a concrete beginning, middle and end.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2016, 05:50:19 pm »

I don't know much about gamebooks, but it could almost be a roguelike sort of thing where each challenge is randomly picked and flows into the next. It seems to me like "endless" games do much better on mobile than ones with a concrete beginning, middle and end.

Grailquest was a bit weird as gamebook series went, because it had an experience system, an equipment system and a magic system. Kind of closer to a single player book-sized RPG in some ways than a choose-your-own-adventure (although it was that too). And it was bloody hilariously written, at least to my young mind back then. Worthwhile checking out (you can probably find the .pdfs around online, they're pretty hard to find as second-hand books these days). They're written by J.H Brennan.

Oh, and they're on Abandonia in their gamebooks section.

Would be one of the better series to adapt to mobile really.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 06:01:53 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2017, 01:09:13 am »

Sorry to do a minor necro, but I'm going to put a PTW here.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2017, 05:10:29 am »

I've been playing Gumballs and Dungeons on android for about a week now. It's pretty fun. It's essentially a roguelike...though the exploration element is simplified considerably to fit the mobile platform. There are elements of both the persistent RPG growth, and also starting over each time you die. IAP funds regular updates and events, though playing for free is totally viable.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2017, 09:55:31 am »

As for pocket games, since i think this is somewhat related, I have gotten big into DS emulation right now. Playing through the Ace Attorney series still. I have all three main games, Miles Edgeworth Investigations 1 and 2, and Apollo Justice. I would get Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice but I'm broke.

Which brings me to my next question, does anyone know of any good DS games I should try? Not 3DS, just regular DS.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2017, 02:22:09 pm »

There's... a bunch of good basic DS games, really. You looking for any particular sort?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2017, 05:51:21 pm »

There's... a bunch of good basic DS games, really. You looking for any particular sort?

Something.....with long campaigns. I was thinking of getting the Final Fantasy Tactics games and Chrono Trigger, some good old classics. I was also thinking Advance Wars Dual Strike and Days of Ruin as well.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2017, 06:00:55 pm »

If you like Castlevania there are some good Castlevania games on the DS. I'm not sure what the best one is but I played Portrait of Ruin and enjoyed it very much. I wish I knew where my DS and GBA games are hiding, I'd love to play some of them again.

Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars was an enjoyable game, it reminded me of the earlier games before they made the switch to 3D.

Then there's always the pokemon games if that's your jam.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2017, 06:33:52 pm »

Dragon Quest IX wasn't bad on DS if you like your RPGs a bit FF but so much cuter. Probably wasn't as good as the previous installment, but I quite enjoyed it from memory.

@Folly Yeah, Gumballs and Dungeons was great. Didn't get that far through it (5th dungeon or so?), but it's a really interesting take on the genre. Sort of a roguelike, sort of a puzzler, with some really cool levelling/equipment elements and fun little quirks to each stage. A few annoying "mobile'ish" things, but quite free and fair, at least early on. Incidentally, I think it was the DQ franchise above that made them into gumballs instead of slimes, but they're still just as awesome. I'll second that it's worth a look.
It's a game. Have fun.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2017, 06:48:42 pm »

Something.....with long campaigns. I was thinking of getting the Final Fantasy Tactics games and Chrono Trigger, some good old classics. I was also thinking Advance Wars Dual Strike and Days of Ruin as well.

I thought Final Fantasy 3 was alright, no award-winner but pretty good for a straight remake of an NES game. I've never played the FFIV remake but it looked alright.

The DS Zelda games get a bad rap but I liked Spirit Tracks. One of the lesser Zelda games to be sure, but worth playing all the same.

IMO, the first Tactics Advance game is much better than the DS sequel. There's some broken strategies (high level units with certain abilities can be unkillable one-man armies) but the story is much more coherent. Definitely play both though, they're both good stuff. FFTA2 in particular had the Gria, winged demon girls that added a lot of variety in the kind of things you could do.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:50:27 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2017, 07:17:26 pm »

I can recommend Etrian Odyssey and the sequels, probably.
The Castlevanias are good. Portrait of Ruin was actually my least favourite of the DS games... Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia are both excellent, though.
If you were ever a fan of Phantasy Star Online, then Phantasy Star 0 is actually a surprisingly solid handheld take on it. I'm not sure how well it holds up now that the (very nice) online play is no longer supported, though.

...Also, perhaps not to your tastes, but the DS was not region locked, so some of my favourite games were imported Japanese music games. Daigasso! Band Brothers is a strangely addictive game where you basically play premade or custom midi tracks using combinations of buttons and triggers (more fun than it sounds)(Custom example, probably unplayably hard but you get the idea), and Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and the sequel are very fun and silly rhythm games. The latter has an English remake called Elite Beat Agents, which I never got around to trying but I'm sure is just as good.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2017, 01:12:34 am »

FFT-style wise, Devil Survivor was pretty nice, iirc. Forget how lengthy it was, though.

Other stuff... radiant histora was good, from what I played of it.
Infinite space is pretty neat; there's a bit of an LP of it lurking somewhere back in play with your buddies.
Knights in the Nightmare is also neat, if you can/once you wrap your head around how to play it.
I personally enjoyed what I played of Black Sigil... battle system was pretty nice for what it was and the writing/plot cracked me up. Iirc a common criticism of it though is old school encounter rates, heh.
The Super Robot Wars thing (Endless Frontier) is... is. Kinda' fanservice-y, but interesting combat, fairly well written/amusing dialogue despite it, etc., etc.
If you feel like wrangling fan translation stuff, Soma Bringer is a pretty neat action RPG thing, I believe. Never got very far into myself, but still. There's actually a few other NDS games that got unofficially localized, heh. Sands of Destruction is another one on that front... again didn't get very far into it, m'self, but what I saw was intriguing. Also heard pretty good things about 7th Dragon.

Echo etrian odyssey. I actually kinda' enjoyed what I played of the ones I did play, and I kinda' despise that style of first person dungeon crawler.

That's a handful off the top of my head, anyway. Bunch more I forget at the moment (it's a quarter past midnight :-\) and haven't been mentioned so far, too... DS actually has a fairly killer library even without getting the 3DS involved, imo, if a fair amount of stuff that didn't get much attention despite being pretty ruddy solid games. Will say most of the stuff I didn't get very far into had a lot less to do with the games themselves than personal attention span and hardware issues. Stuff I didn't sink much time into mostly wasn't 'cause of the game's quality, heh.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:16:07 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2017, 10:24:22 pm »

Radiant Historia is a great entry for something more traditional jRPG.
Disgaea DS is my favorite version of Disgaea-- easy controls, everything's readable, relatively not buggy, and the Prinny Commentary is awesome.

And, DQ Heroes: Rocket Slime is what actually sold me on the DS, so that has to get a bit of a mention...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57