Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 113935 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Pocket games thread
« on: June 21, 2016, 10:04:11 pm »

I don't see pocket games discussed much on Bay12, probably mostly because most of us spent most of our time on the computer anyways, but because we all have to go to school/work at some point and everyone needs a phone to tide over their boredom, here's a general thread for the discussion of portable games, whether iOS, Android, or for handheld gaming consoles.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:14:48 pm »

Kairosoft is king.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:18:37 pm »

Every now and then I'll download a poorly-translated MMO for Android. Those are good fun for a few sessions until they start really pushing the microtransactions.

Has anybody played any of the Android WH40k games?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 10:30:15 pm »

I really don't understand the kind of people who pay for microtransaction games.

Why do they have to feed the cancer? Can't they just, I dunno, get actual games?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 10:45:02 pm »

"Actual games" have to be made before they can be sold. (handheld consoles being an exception) The mobile market is mostly garbage. Finding anything beyond the heavily marketed microBS is difficult and not very fruitful. Phones can emulate PS1 games now, but beyond the squenix ports there is almost nothing with substance.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 10:45:45 pm »

The kemco rpgs tend to be... fairly competent? Far from amazing, but the mechanics usually aren't particularly odious (especially the humble bundle versions) and the writing is occasionally quite amusing. If you've already played every rpg your machine can emulate that you care to, they're engaging enough.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 10:47:16 pm »

"Actual games" have to be made before they can be sold. (handheld consoles being an exception) The mobile market is mostly garbage. Finding anything beyond the heavily marketed microBS is difficult and not very fruitful. Phones can emulate PS1 games now, but beyond the squenix ports there is almost nothing with substance.
A lot of the featured non-microstransactional stuffs on the App Store are pretty professional and not shitty asian knockoffs. I just don't understand why people don't play those.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:52:33 pm »

Difficulty finding them, disinterest in the genre, other stuff. Cost to some degree, probably.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 10:56:32 pm »

Yeah but I'm talking about the people who pay money for the microtransactions in the first place.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 11:00:01 pm »

The attention span of many phone users is quite short. They see $1 and don't count the 50 times they pay it. The bigger "best value" ones are for the hedge fund managers.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 11:19:24 pm »

Cus obviously phone gamers are mindless sheeple feeding the corporate overlord and don't just have different tastes or anything. :-\
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 11:20:43 pm »

Well it would be nice if they fed the corporate overlords a bit less.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 11:38:00 pm »

I really don't understand the kind of people who pay for microtransaction games.

Why do they have to feed the cancer? Can't they just, I dunno, get actual games?

It goes back to that old saying: a sucker is born every minute.

-----

My personal experience with smartphone games has been pretty limited, but I have found one that scratches an itch well for me.

So, mini-review!

Alphabear, by Spry Fox, is a word puzzle game. (Wikipedia, dev page, Google Play, iOS)

At its core, Alphabear is a game about making words out of letter-soup.  You have insufferably cutesy bears that give you bonuses to score, and affect the letters on the board.  There are common, rare, and legendary bears, with stats and cooldowns to match.  Do decently, get a level-up for a bear.  Do well, have a chance at a higher tier of bear.

If you have Scrabble-chops, you'll do alright here.  Alphabear lets me exercise my vocabulary without the zero-sum-game problems at the level in which I play @ Scrabble.  It also gives me a time filler when I'm out and about; I often play while I'm waiting for / on the bus, or when I have 10 or 15 minutes to kill without anything more meaningful I could do.

There are definitely *_Mobile_Games_Industry_Forces_* in effect with Alphabear, but I've ignored them mostly because of why I play.  There's an energy timer (40/hr, iirc); once full (120), it'll let you play one timed (50) and one untimed board (70).  The game will dole out 100 coins every 24 hours, but stops accruing after 24 hours; the easy-mode / can-get-a-legendary board is 400 coins to start.  A one-time fee of 5 bucks removes the energy entirely (and gives you a +50% bump to freebie coins), allowing you to play as many consecutive games as you want. (I paid the 5 bucks)  Some of the later levels are designed to be functionally impossible without a large investment of time or money.  So far, they've released 11 chapters; the first few went by quickly, the middle took a week or two each...  I've been stuck on Ch. 9 for about 4 months of active play / 7 calendar months.

There are definitely elements at the strategic level that I'd rather not fuss with, but ultimately those don't matter because I play Alphabear for the ground-level experience.

Ermahgerd, werds!  ;)
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 11:40:41 pm »

I found Alphabear via r/gaymer and delight in spelling homoerotic words.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 04:10:49 am »

I got Swordigo today and played for an hour or two. It seems to be a fairly good game so far. Also, Knight Story is a matching-like game I've had for a few months now, I'm still playing it occasionally, it has no ads and the micro-transactions are pretty minimal. So I'd say it's pretty good.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57