Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 113938 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 05:28:33 am »

Recently I've found a free mobile game called "Drive Ahead". Not a lot of substance, but fun enough. You get new cars, maps and heads in the freeplay/1v1 mode by using coins in a virtual slot machine, but you get 100 a day for logging in (going up to 400 per day if you log in every day) and a usually pretty easy "daily mission" which usually nets you about 500 coins per day. You can double your coins by watching an ad.

It's basically 1v1 car dueling. You try to hit your opponent's head to win. There are quite a few campaign missions but they're not very hard.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 09:01:12 am »

The Trese Brothers make some more involved Android games and constantly fix and add things. Half of their library is old school Star Trader with additions.

There are serious board games on mobile platforms. They work best if you know the game and its rules already. The AI's usually suck.

You can get DOS games running on Android with DOSbox Turbo.

Brogue, Race Into Space, King of Dragon Pass, and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup have Android ports. Random Adventure Roguelike is not half bad. There are some simple city builders like TheoTown and a lunar one I forget the name of.

Bounden is a unique partners ballet app. Bridge Constructor and Crayon Physics are okay.

There's a very long list for PSP because you can also get PS1 games and many emulators if you mod the console.

Cus obviously phone gamers are mindless sheeple feeding the corporate overlord and don't just have different tastes or anything. :-\
Thank you for understanding. I bet you looked at the top sales and download numbers of games in the marketplace, like I did. Advertising is powerful, especially if you catch them young and impressionable.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:18:59 am by BigD145 »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 09:27:40 am »

If we're talking mobile games for phones, I know off the top of my head the best non-super heavy microtransaction ones are The Walking Dead No-Man's Land, a zombie XCOM-like with vague Clash of Clans like outpost building. Quite good, just play a couple missions a 'tick' and take it slow otherwise you run out of your 'gas' which is parlance for 'timegate'.

Everyone knows about Fallout Shelter but here I go again; Fallout Shelter's a very decent little builder/management game that's also got a ProgressQuest like side game where you send vault dwellers out into the wastes to come back with random shit.

D already posted about the Trese Brothers, good board games for decent prices.

Minecraft Pocket Edition is pretty good, if you want Minecraft on the go. It's a little behind the 'main' game but it does get occasional updates to bring it closer to the main version.

There's always phone Agar.io if you wanna accidentally run into things bigger than you and die cuz you couldn't react fast enough using touch screens.

Warhammer 40k Space Wolf is a turn-based tactical strategy game that uses a card mechanic. The cards can be something like 'sprint' or it could include any weapon so occasionally your single tactical marine will somehow lug a rocket launcher, flamethrower, and heavy bolter all at once.

Star Wars: Uprising is a sort of mini-MMO that was vaguely appealing until I had to delete it for space. I didn't get too far, but it's basically a mission based RPG.

And that's my list of ok mobile games. What I really wish is for a good mobile sort of Magic the Gathering type game. Yeah I know, Hearthstone, but still.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 09:47:42 am »

I barely ever play mobile games or even tower defense games, but Kingdom Rush currently has me hooked. I found it on the web somewhere when I was bored one day and it was quite fun, so decided to download it onto my mobile. Now it's my go-to game when I'm on a long train ride.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 11:46:20 am »

There are some simple city builders like TheoTown and a lunar one I forget the name of.
Is it moonbase Inc? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jeu.de.marc&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dmoonbase+inc.&pcampaignid=APPU_1_-qtqVz-QwPgB0b2EqAU

Yes. Super simple.

For more complex there's OpenTTD. It's fairly up to date. Liberal Crime Squad is not up to date.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:48:03 am by BigD145 »

gamerscout

• Bay Watcher
  • Warrior of the lurker army
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 06:45:15 pm »

A neat mobile game I have found is Samurai Wars.
It is a free multiplayer wargame set in the Sengoku period of japan.
It plays alot like the total war series.
here is a link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.openwar.samurai&hl=en.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 07:02:40 pm »

I barely ever play mobile games or even tower defense games, but Kingdom Rush currently has me hooked. I found it on the web somewhere when I was bored one day and it was quite fun, so decided to download it onto my mobile. Now it's my go-to game when I'm on a long train ride.
Just on the off chance you hadn't noticed, that's got more than one game in the series. Later ones are probably a bit better, if you're still running off the first'un.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 08:04:13 pm »

Cus obviously phone gamers are mindless sheeple feeding the corporate overlord and don't just have different tastes or anything. :-\

You say that like it's unlikely.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 08:25:36 am »

Hoplite is a nice little roguelike. The free version let's you finish the game and you can upgrade to premium to go deeper into the dungeon and get basically a new game plus.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 08:44:11 am »

Pixel dungeon is an enjoyable timekiller, and as it is open source, there are multiple forks - one will probably satiate any need for roguelike dungeon crawling you may have.
This is a blank sig.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 09:00:08 am »

I'm a happy owner of a JXD7800b that didn't brick itself (at least yet) and quite honestly  the best games i played on it are all emulated like Stunt GP for instance.
But there are some good mobile games if you are willing to look for them deep enough.
King of dragon pass being one of them.
But of course the problem with mobile games is the fact that for every good classic PC port or original (and good) product there are 15 clash of clans and other assorted trash.
Quite honestly as a mobile player you are just best off emulating snes games and not even bothering with the mobile market unless you feel like browsing through a mountain of manure to find one of the few gems stuck in it.
And even the gems turn out to be zircon. And upon closer inspection they are gem shaped pieces of plastic.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 09:15:52 am »

I think we just need more places like these where people can discuss quality mobile games. It's clear that app stores are just as interested in selling shovelware. Word of mouth is the only way I've been able to reliably find anything good.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:18:02 pm by penguinofhonor »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 01:02:07 pm »

I don't like cellphone games normally, but I do sometimes play the android port of OpenXcom on my way to school. It's gud.

Also, the 3DS is gud. Sure it's a little crappy in terms of hardware aside from the 3D, but a lot of the games for it are pretty awesome in my opinion.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 01:19:32 pm »

FTL is playable on a small tablet. The UI for mobile is well done, but might be too small on a phone.

Sproggiwood is a nice roguelike.

Punch Club is an interesting toy.

Crashlands is a fun exploration progression crafting thing.

None of these are plagued by micro transactions.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57