Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 113929 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #450 on: June 25, 2018, 01:06:36 pm »

Like you said, it does give you access to WAY more parts for funsies, nice and early though. Instead of the slow grind of EH, you can grab purple/gold stuff pretty much straight away.

Also, my fears of getting "stuck" were somewhat unfounded. Since you can watch ads for stars, and stars can be sold at any time for 500 credits each, in theory you've always got a backup plan. Fair enough, it's a pretty crappy backup plan (watch lots of ads), but it might be quicker early on than actually redoing missions, if you're just a bit short of that part you really want.

Since it often only takes one-two good parts to turn a ship from "meh" to "pretty good", you probably won't need the umpteen hundreds of stars in EH:F that you needed in the original. Still, multi-Doomstar battles might be a tad iffy to do. I can take them out individually pretty quickly, but having 5 of them show up sounds pretty damn scary. And awesome fodder for my YouTube vids, so I'll see how silly it gets :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:15:13 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 05, 2018, 09:39:19 am »

Night of the Full Moon has gotten some sorely needed balance updates in the last few versions... Among others, that 90% boss heal has been nerfed down to 40%, making it feasible on most builds.

I think there's also a new permanent upgrade system that makes things a lot easier (or I've just missed it) too. Still kind of RNG, but I've finished three consecutive games, including going into two bosses blind, on hard, without any deaths. (That last one sucked though, as I just Could. Not. get the amount of draw cards needed to turn it into a steamroller.)

Still prodding EH; haven't gone through the recent posts due to wonky international WiFi only loading half of pages.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 06, 2018, 08:12:48 am »

Also, my fears of getting "stuck" were somewhat unfounded. Since you can watch ads for stars, and stars can be sold at any time for 500 credits each, in theory you've always got a backup plan. Fair enough, it's a pretty crappy backup plan (watch lots of ads), but it might be quicker early on than actually redoing missions, if you're just a bit short of that part you really want.
Unless I'm wrong, you can set the level to a lower one and grind lower levels for a while.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 06, 2018, 08:08:33 pm »

For the person looking for good Pixel Dungeon mods, I just tried out Remixed Dungeon. It seems pretty good. You start with an overworld town with shops etc, so you've got something to do with your loot (assuming you can be bothered running back to town), there's a whole slew of items (including convenience ones, scroll cases, seed pouches, even wand carriers),  bows seem to be a bit more common so ranged combat might be a bit more useful, and it all seems pretty tightly made with enough extra stuff that it's worthwhile looking at over the vanilla versions. And it's free. Like all Pixel Dungeon games should be and usually are.

Don't know if it's iOS, but it's definitely on Android.

(Spears are great. Two attack range, low strength requirement, decent damage. They're slow, but the two attack range makes up for it. It's like an ammo-less bow. Seed pouches are likewise great. It's fiddly to have to open them each time, but having a full stock of seeds for any situation really adds to your options in combat. And it's available from the store for 250 gold. You also get "free" rat armour that blocks 4 pts of damage for doing the necromancer's quest, which is "kill rats", which you'll be doing early-on anyway. This seems to unlock the necromancer character as well.
Anyway, with a bit of finagling you can usually get a pretty good start with any character in this version. Yay. Then die to Goo. Boo!)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:49:45 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 06, 2018, 08:59:50 pm »

Huh. Soul armor recollect has a sequel (?), chimera recollect. It's... more of the same, largely, but instead of an armor thing you're a chimera switching out body parts to turn yourself into a horrific amalgamation of pinballing death. Or a cat with butterfly wings (instead of arms), whatever.

It's nice.

Minor tip, dragon head at level five-ish (and dream version sooner) can one/two shot dream world starting area dragons with flame (and the rest of the initial area critters, for that matter). Pump your score on non-elites/later area critters and it's a pretty great way to make money if you're jonesing for dosh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 06, 2018, 10:49:38 pm »

Space Pioneer is a fun little run'n'gun top-down shooter (kinda like a twin-stick shooter, but with auto-aim instead of aiming with the second stick) with nice cell-shaded graphics, fluid controls and quite fun weapons. Only played a bit so far, but the action is fast paced, they chuck you into the action nice and early, and the frame rate and special weapon controls are all of good enough quality that you will be dancing around aliens and shooting/grenading the bejesus out of them from the word go.

There's an upgrade system, with more and more choices of special cooldowns (though the grenade/turret/medikit starting setup isn't bad, although I do want to sub out the turret soon) so you can beef up your spaceman. So far I've unlocked the assault rifle (standard weapon), the shotgun and the Tesla gun, and they all do things just differently enough that they feel OK. Though admittedly the Tesla gun feels like a straight upgrade of both (and the grenade launcher coming next might be better than all three, we'll see). Weapons use the overheat system, but they cool down pretty damn quickly, so you'll mostly be gunning, not just running while playing.

There's a base building system, but it seems pretty basic. Timers are in full force unfortunately.

There's no energy system though, so feel free to play as long as you want. I've gotten past the third boss in one sitting, and done the first "event" mission (which was actually pretty hard), and that took about an hour all up, so there's a fair bit of progression available from the get-go. Yay to no energy/stamina system!

Anyway, it's fast, it's fun, and they chuck you into the action quickly enough that it hasn't felt like a chore to find a challenge yet. There's a bit of a variety in enemies and mission objectives, though nothing amazing so far. Go somewhere, sometimes that somewhere is moving, and destroy everything while staying near that somewhere. Enemies tend to be slow melee, fast melee, and static shooters.  Still, very well worth a look for a bit of furious blasting action. The bosses are quite nice, and the upgrades haven't felt like a cash grab waiting to happen. I'm quite impressed.

It's not exactly a complex game, there's only a few enemy types, weapon styles and planet types. But sometimes all you want is to run around shooting things until coins pop out of them, and that's exactly what this gives you, with a minimum of fuss or bother to get it.

((don't worry about the seemingly high gold cost for weapons/gear/character upgrades. From mission 11 onwards you will get more gold in one mission than you've seen all game. I actually grinded for about 20-30 mins and got 3.5k, which I then ad-doubled to 7k. Which was 10x more gold than I'd collected up until that point. Then I bought heaps of upgrades, went up in character level tonnes, now I've got the hand cannon/grenade launcher (nice), the flame thrower (which is a long-range weapon for some reason)  and the laser cannon (not as good as you'd think). And plenty of character gear. So yeah, gold is pretty plentiful after a certain point, so this game is free-to-play approved by me))
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:46:38 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 07, 2018, 02:58:46 am »

OK, I'll go as far to say that Space Pioneer of kinda easy. And fairly repetitive. Not to say it's a bad game because of it, and the Hell Horde mode *is* hard, but I'm up to mission 40'ish, at character level 29'ish, and things just pop on most occasions. I've actually bothered 100% all missions up to this point, but my laser turret arguably does more damage is bosses than I do, yet my main weapons do a tonne against normal enemies anyway. I think I'll just quick play through the missions from now on, skipping crystals and stuff. Sort of a "come back to it when my pulse carbine finger gets itchy" kinda game. Only two other weapons to unlock, all gear unlocked, and then just incremental upgrades when I can be bothered grinding.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. I'll come back to it later.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 03:00:30 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 07, 2018, 04:59:45 am »

Had a go of Chimera Recollect. It's not bad. Got a nice setup of Dragon(R) head, Butterfly body for penetrate and glide and switching between Dragon tail, Small animal tail and Cloud tail, depending on if I need MP/HP or an XP sink.

Dragon fire with multiheads and penetrate works SO well together. I've also got a fairly well levelled small animal head for when I just want to tap like crazy and fly around everywhere, though the actual attack skills are way better for dodging projectiles by insta-stopping.

Not too far in, around lvl27, just near where the girl recognized the forest she used to play hide and seek in. Still not sure if I know what I'm doing, but it seems to be working. Will grind dreamland a bit for cash shortly.
-----------
Later edit after a bit more progression......

Question: Is there anything better body-wise than the butterfly(R)? Because I'm not sure if there's a time when I won't want penetrate and glide.

I currently have Dragon(R)+Butterfly(R)+Cloud(R) as my setup, and between unlimited level 5 dragon blasts and penetrate I can't think of a better setup. There might be some minor stat boosts for "better" parts, but overall this setup is great. It sort of feels like I've got my endgame equipment already. I'll level up a decent (R) +HP tail eventually, and I've got a Hornet(R) tail at level 5 for lazy zapping (it kind of works like an extra dragon blast every so often, but usually has really bad timing against enemies that phase, but it has a big INT boost for heavy dragon blasting instead of unlimited MP for skill use), but what else will I need? Does dragon fire ever start sucking? With the cloud tail it's unlimited, but I was thinking maybe horsie rocks would go better with penetrate because they're bigger. Any suggestions? Gold seems to be the limiting factor, so I don't want to grind/level everything I find. Would horse rocks or feline water (because it bounces) scale better than dragon fire?

Or just max these and start buying HEAPS of items? Some items don't seem to do squat, but maybe after spending 3000-4000 gold on them they'd stack up enough to notice a difference. Kind of like the same expense as levelling a decent part, but with an item?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:34:39 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 08, 2018, 10:24:06 am »

Dragon flame, even unlimited dragon flame, seems to start falling off pretty hard relatively quickly. It was noticeable even versus the horses (well, in the dream world, where a maxed R flame would one/two shot the dragons at a high score point -- 40s, whatever -- but take like six to eight shots for a horse), and shortly thereafter the bigger critters live through like a dozen volleys. There's a bunch of stuff where it barely strips off blocks whereas other skills will do meaningful damage.

Feline water isn't a bad upgrade, but my currently (just past what the little girl is initially looking for, which looking at the map seems like a third or fourth way through) identified "best" is water head lasers. I was hopeful for the horse rocks, but its targeting makes it kinda' cruddy (most of the shots will just pass through the area the first few clear) even with the R version larger hitbox. Bug shot isn't bad, either. Generally you want stuff with some spread to it, basically, lest most the attack go to waste.

Definitely experiment with the auto-chase/charge tails, though, if you haven't been. The hornets and initial shields are fairly straightforward, but they start introducing interesting projectiles and effects (the octopus tail, ferex, can hit things that have jumped!) fairly quickly. Fish tail is pretty brutal... single volley at 3+ ish will outright kill a lot of small critters. Skeleton tail tears up certain enemies, too.

So far as arms go, I've personally been preferring the heavy ones. Much easier to control, heh. Butterfly wings (or worse, the sickle ones a bit in that give rampage, which basically makes you go faster when you bounce off something) make it real easy to incidentally headbutt a projectile. Can't say all that shows up, though. My level's fairly high, I guess (130 something, last I looked), but I'm not that far in and since I encountered the sickle's rampage, I'm guessing there's more effects to come that might one-up the butterfly (or heavy, or whatever).

Item wise, well... they certainly have an effect, but I couldn't tell breakpoints or anything. I haven't been paying much attention outside grinding up a few tens of thousands of gold at a time (dreamworld ftw) and buying everything out, heh.

E: Oh yeah! It's probably worth noting re: arms, that they're not just for show. The longer ones effect your hitbox when you're attacking, so stuff that initially seems unimpressive (stuff without extra attributes) can be pretty nice anyway. Makes it easier to blow through small or medium sized enemies in one go, basically. Something to remember, heh.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:59:49 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 08, 2018, 05:24:47 pm »

Thanks for all the answers. I'll have to try a few more things out and grind up heaps of gold/xp to put it into focus.

It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 08, 2018, 05:42:03 pm »

Yeah... for what it's worth, gold is really easy to grind up, xp less so.* Start in dream world three or four, then bee-line your way back to the starting areas. By the time you start hitting chickens and slimes, they'll be bringing in 3-400+ per fight, double-ish that for dragons, and you'll still have the full area to depopulate. Rolling in twenty or thirty thousand doesn't take too long at that point, heh.

* Can't say for certain, but it feels a lot like XP is based on number of fights, and the amount needed is fairly static... basically there's no way I've noticed to make it faster, you just have to fight and fight and fight. Meanwhile dream world gold ramps as long as you can keep killing things, which is much easier if you're working your way backwards.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:45:12 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #461 on: July 08, 2018, 11:18:24 pm »

I like Occidental Heroes' combat but I wish there were more opportunities to improve yourself or get abilities or something (there's a town where you can get a single class specific upgrade per character that's pretty good but expensive). It takes a lot of time to earn money and your rewards don't really increase as you progress even as you find more things to spend on. If you could unlock more classes as you played I would be willing to give this game more than just two runs. Uninstalled it in the end but if there was a content patch, sequel, or a similar title I would give it a go.

Hades' Star is cool, I ran out of money because I didn't focus on the quests so I have to wait but that's not a big deal since it's not like I can't do other things while I wait for shipments to regenerate so I can buy the upgrades I need to continue the main quest. It's kind of obnoxious that I can't automate shipments but it's probably going to be less of a problem when I develop longer shipping routes so that I'm not starting a shipment every few seconds, but then of course I'm going to have to wait ages for income so I guess I'll have to find a balance of short and long term income. I feel like I'm being kind of strangled by my fleet capacity and the shipyard upgrades got expensive fast, I hope the game gives me some more flexibility in that area as things go on. Really there's not going on much in the game at this stage but I like the theme and the music is good so I'm hoping it gives me more reasons to keep playing.

E: OK I'm really liking Hades' Star a lot. Right now I'm running 1 battleship, 4 transports, and 1 miner. I made the mistake early on of getting a second miner before I knew what hydrogen was for. Right now I don't see a need for more than 1 miner since they gather so slowly that all they dictate really is how long you have to wait until you think you have enough hydrogen to do a good red star run. Speaking of which, red star runs are such a cool idea! The idea is you scan for a red star, then when you find it you have 15 minutes to exploit it. The cool part is that other players can pick up the same star as you and then you're competing to grab all the loot first, but you're not allowed to shoot at each other which is great (that's only for white stars apparently but I haven't built the scanner that lets me find those yet). This game is hooking me big time
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:49:07 am by Parsely »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 11, 2018, 04:01:34 pm »

Star Ocean: Anamnesis is now a thing.

My initial impression is similar to Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius. Characters from multiple games come together in a crossover-universe situation, along with a host of original characters made just for this game. Lengthy story line that is somewhat interesting but not particularly challenging. Multiple side-dungeons that allow grinding resources to power up your units, and challenging boss fights to earn powerful loot. Regular events offer time-limited opportunities to get unique gear.

The story is pretty par for the course with other Star Ocean games. Space-force crew crashes on a primitive alien planet where their laser-guns and lightsabers join forces with elves and magicians to fight beasts and robots. It's not particularly original, but it gets the job done.

Graphics are particularly impressive. I honestly think this looks better than the last console game. Unfortunately, some genius decided to make this a vertically-oriented game, which does not mesh well with the active-battle gameplay. The issue is exacerbated by the fact that the bottom half of the screen is covered by GUI, so you have to stick one of your fingers in the middle of the video area to move around. Spell effects are also an issue, often completely obscuring the screen and making it impossible to see and react to the monsters.

The launch and pre-register events both provide a generous chunk of resources, so I'll likely be sticking around at least long enough to test the value of these toys they gave me.

In other news, I've continued playing Honkai Impact 3rd, now up to level 40.
I'm particularly impressed with the effort they've expended to keep the game varied and interesting. I've now seen an open world mode, shmup mode, platformer mode, survival mode, tower-attack mode, time-attack mode, and a handful of other modes that I don't even have names for.
I've also had a chance to try a variety of different units and been impressed with the variety there. I'm currently maining a Himeko, whose first attack in her chain can be charged to launch enemies, setting up easy combos with certain other units. After each attack in her combo there is a brief window to start the next attack with perfect timing, and doing so will grant a buff that provides momentum so that she cannot be knocked down or interrupted, allowing her to just keep on pounding the enemy mercilessly; one of my party members is a support Bronya who gives a shield to the entire party, which makes it even easier for Himeko to shrug off those incoming attacks. Landing 3 perfectly timed chains in a row grants a buff, which can be expended in a charge attack for a massive burst of extra damage, rewarding careful gameplay with some impressive dps.
Overall, I'm definitely finding this game even more fun than expected when I first started.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #463 on: July 12, 2018, 01:31:55 am »

Okay, I have sunk far, far too many hours into this thing over the last handful of days not to make mention. I speak of the amazingly named Space Battleship Story RPG! I'm sure it's a poignant and moving title in the original language. It's somewhere between a RPG, a strategy game, a

-snip-

ut. It's what lets you speed up the rate fights progress, and is the difference between getting ten hours of progress in ten hours and getting fourteen.
*** Very much bonus points because you are going to die, the losses for your flagship getting blown up are usually pretty small. You don't lose anything you collected up till that point in the stage, and as near as I can tell the only costs involved are replacing any non-hanger allies that may have gotten ganked in the process of your ignoble end, most of which are fairly cheap. Key word there being most. You get that asteroid fortress minion blown up and you just lost a few dozen thousand gold and a good twelve thousand lives. Deployment and crew costs go down as ship design level goes up, but the big ones cost so much it's going to be a long time before it makes much of a difference for 'em.
I read something about massive battles and the wall of text has sold me, i love me some engrish (mmmm Weapon Throwin RPG)

Thanks Frumpty Dumpty, I think i'll enjoy this one

meanwhile Arcane Straight and Chimera are charming my pants off with their storytelling. seriously these games are incredible, and Hades' Star is nailing this steady grind for me that keeps me just satisfied enough that I want to keep growing my empire

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 15, 2018, 06:44:36 am »

I like Occidental Heroes' combat but I wish there were more opportunities to improve yourself or get abilities or something (there's a town where you can get a single class specific upgrade per character that's pretty good but expensive). It takes a lot of time to earn money and your rewards don't really increase as you progress even as you find more things to spend on. If you could unlock more classes as you played I would be willing to give this game more than just two runs. Uninstalled it in the end but if there was a content patch, sequel, or a similar title I would give it a go.

Yeah I enjoyed it, but it felt a little bit too shallow. The hex based battling is a bit too simplistic (not that it's necessarily easy), and there isn't enough stuff to do strategically to make it worth playing long term. I really hope the dev decides to do a much more fleshed out sequel, as I think it'd be fantastic if they did.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 57