Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Schwarzwald beta test (Mac, Windows, Linux) - turn-based medieval survival game  (Read 10617 times)

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for the registration troubles. If anyone still didn't get the registration mail, send me a mail to tom@lemuria.org and I will get it sorted out.

@Hanzoku - you can clear ruins. Click on the ruined plot and a clear action should be available. You can also repair it before it breaks down. That's actually a core part of the game. Can you guide me step-by-step through your actions in the game that lead you to miss this, so I can improve the user interface?

@Neonivek - I might add a time limit and say after x days everyone still alive has won. I've not finally decided on this. At the moment I like the despair atmosphere it creates that you actually can't win against the forest, only against your fellow players.

@Shadowlord - you can see how many peasants a family has, and since they are all identical, that's what matters. Or did you mean something different?

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In other news, Beta 5 is out today:

http://schwarzwald.lemuria.org/h/download

The most important change are the well and watchtower. These benefit the whole village if someone puts one of his peasants to operate them for the day.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

How long do games typically run? The reason I stopped playing BM and M&F was the time commitment needed to enjoy the games. Is this something that can be played through in one sitting, or is it the type of game where you're expected to log on daily to survive?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahh, I thought families were groups of players.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Avast deleted the Beta 5 exe when I tried to start it.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Hanzoku - you can clear ruins. Click on the ruined plot and a clear action should be available. You can also repair it before it breaks down. That's actually a core part of the game. Can you guide me step-by-step through your actions in the game that lead you to miss this, so I can improve the user interface?

That seems to be exactly the problem, in the Beta 4 client and the new Beta 5 client, I try left-clicking and right-clicking on the ruins and no dialogue box is presented. If I click on the still intact fence next to it, and a box to improve the fence is displayed.

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How long do games typically run? The reason I stopped playing BM and M&F was the time commitment needed to enjoy the games. Is this something that can be played through in one sitting, or is it the type of game where you're expected to log on daily to survive?

You log on one or two times a day for a few minutes. But games are limited in length, it's not an open world like my other games, so after a few weeks the game is over.

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That seems to be exactly the problem, in the Beta 4 client and the new Beta 5 client, I try left-clicking and right-clicking on the ruins and no dialogue box is presented. If I click on the still intact fence next to it, and a box to improve the fence is displayed.

You are right. I will have to make a bugfix release.

That is exceptionally strange. Any message or reason?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It probably goes against the theme of the game, but I sort of feel there should be a game option that inactive families should come under the control of active players or something. In all three games I'm part of, there are only 5-6 active players, but presumably the game only started when 18-27 people joined. As it is, I'm just waiting for the mass die-off when all the ignored families finally starve to death.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or let people join games in progress if a family has been abandoned?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Shame, I just don't have to time anymore to log into a game everyday for a few weeks. Sorry Tom, best of luck with the game!

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is exceptionally strange. Any message or reason?

I unzipped it again today and it didn't delete it this time. I sent you an email by the way regarding the account registration (from a hotmail adress).

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It probably goes against the theme of the game, but I sort of feel there should be a game option that inactive families should come under the control of active players or something. In all three games I'm part of, there are only 5-6 active players, but presumably the game only started when 18-27 people joined. As it is, I'm just waiting for the mass die-off when all the ignored families finally starve to death.

This is a problem, yes. For the beta I also started games before they were full. For example the game I just started has only 16 of 21 player slots filled. This is due to low player counts at this time and that I don't want to let people wait forever.

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shame, I just don't have to time anymore to log into a game everyday for a few weeks. Sorry Tom, best of luck with the game!

Thanks. Yeah, I'm having some thoughts about things like sharing a family with another account, also for people who go away for a long weekend or something. But that is down the line.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A curious enough concept, going to give this a go.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5