Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Schwarzwald beta test (Mac, Windows, Linux) - turn-based medieval survival game  (Read 10610 times)

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Common guys, download the beta and lets get this thing going, need a few more for a game.

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm working on the next beta with some more cool features, but Unity broke something in the build process with the last update and right now it is hell to build all the clients, it literally takes 2 hours to do it, so I'm not going to do it every few days.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fair enough. If the current 2 pending games are not going to start you should probably clear them to avoid confusion, unless I'm misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 02:24:02 pm by Mookzen »

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, I'm waiting maybe one more day and then I'll just force-start them.

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Done that and also uploaded Beta 6

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you guys know what would make me happy?

Some quality feedback. You know, something beyond "it's cool". What you like? What you don't like? What works well, what makes you scratch your head?

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did my day one actions earlier in the town that just launched and the big question I had - and I didn't look too hard for the answer but it was not anywhere clear - is what time day one ends.

I also wondered about what the point of building new houses was. So you can store more resources for when winter comes and resources are harder to acquire?

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to post my impressions here a bit later, some time into the game so I have a general grasp on the whore thing.

A few notes on the first turn, yes I agree there does not seem to be any way of telling when the turns changes / until when actions can be issued, in the main menu is the 'ready' meant for players who already did their actions or those who are ready (registered) to start the game, not clear as the other game that hasn't started also has a number of players 'ready'.

The text font in the client seems to a bit blurry and a bit hard to read in places, buttons etc. especially in the main menu. I'm playing at 1920:1080. Could use some bolding perhaps.

The first music track is good, more of a ambient slightly ominous beat, but then suddenly another one starts which is first of all much louder and notably clashes with tone of the game, a bit like a twerking song from the disco or something.

I wrote a diary entry and after logging out and back in I viewed it and discovered that the diary doesn't seem to like paragraphs, " /n " appeared and the text was one big block (not easy to read afterwards I'd imagine, also I have one sentence in quotation marks in there and the symbols " / " appeared on both sides for no apparent reason. Also I naturally tried to navigate the text entry field but some of the commands also worked to move the camera at the same time, like arrow keys and mouse wheel.

I ordered one of the family members to build a hen house despite not having enough wood, the game doesn't really give any feedback on that so I don't know whether I've wasted an action, whether it uses some wood and as long as there's more coming next turn its fine or what.

A timestamp in the general chat would be helpful, preferably also showing which turn things were said. Also there is a " ^ " button above the chat, naturally I clicked twice and chat disappeared with no way of getting it back.

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A few notes on the first turn, yes I agree there does not seem to be any way of telling when the turns changes / until when actions can be issued, in the main menu is the 'ready' meant for players who already did their actions or those who are ready (registered) to start the game, not clear as the other game that hasn't started also has a number of players 'ready'.

A better indicator for turns, yes. I'm planning it already.

The text font in the client seems to a bit blurry and a bit hard to read in places, buttons etc. especially in the main menu. I'm playing at 1920:1080. Could use some bolding perhaps.

Me too and I don't see that. Strange. Which OS? Can you post a screenshot?

The first music track is good, more of a ambient slightly ominous beat, but then suddenly another one starts which is first of all much louder and notably clashes with tone of the game, a bit like a twerking song from the disco or something.

Hmpf. How to find that one?

I wrote a diary entry and after logging out and back in I viewed it and discovered that the diary doesn't seem to like paragraphs, " /n " appeared and the text was one big block (not easy to read afterwards I'd imagine, also I have one sentence in quotation marks in there and the symbols " / " appeared on both sides for no apparent reason. Also I naturally tried to navigate the text entry field but some of the commands also worked to move the camera at the same time, like arrow keys and mouse wheel.

Yes, the same is true of the chat as well. I'm trying to figure out how to fix that.

I ordered one of the family members to build a hen house despite not having enough wood, the game doesn't really give any feedback on that so I don't know whether I've wasted an action, whether it uses some wood and as long as there's more coming next turn its fine or what.

The game doesn't say "can't", because gathering comes before building, so you could still get enough wood. But I'm thinking about changing the order and then I could have stronger warning messages.

A timestamp in the general chat would be helpful, preferably also showing which turn things were said. Also there is a " ^ " button above the chat, naturally I clicked twice and chat disappeared with no way of getting it back.

Hm, the same button should also bring the chat back.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Me too and I don't see that. Strange. Which OS? Can you post a screenshot?

Win10, but after a closer inspection (the last version change probably didn't affect it) it's not quite as uncomfortable as first impressions, I think I'm getting used to it or something or don't have to actually read anymore. I zoomed into the screenshot and the text is not blurry as I first thought. It must just be the fact that darker gray on lighter gray in a thin font is not optimally legible, also the fact that much of the space between some of the UI word letters has been reduced to the point of almost merging together doesn't help, for example 'announcements' in the main menu. I saw the facebook screenshot with the dark theme and white text, that seemed easier on the eyes. I know it's "coder's graphics" but still. I also understand that the whole comment is nitpicky but tbh the game is simple so it being a polished experience all around is very important.

Hmpf. How to find that one?

It's the one with the jingles, chorus-like sounds, and the beat. Kind of like 50-cent "in da club". Quite jarring to me.

Hm, the same button should also bring the chat back.

When I first click on the button just the " ^ " disappears, then if I click on the empty button again the whole chat and the button goes away.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:58:59 pm by Mookzen »

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys, figured Id give this a try.

I'll second what Mookzen said. My first impression were fonts hard to read. Too me they seemed either blurry for the bigger/main stuff or real skinny for the small stuff, like at the bottom of the main screen.

The music also, thought exactly the same! First track was some mellow/ambient track, then suddenly much louder almost disco-like beating music. Then back to some mellow strings/harp type music. That beating track just doesnt fit in.

I had some weird problem with the client at first in full screen mode. For some reason it would not register any typing. Id click on the enter email box and nothing, no cursor, nothing. I exited and went into windowed mode and it was ok. Not a problem for me since I will use windowed mode anyway.

I assume I cant do anything until the game I joined fills and launches?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 03:30:48 pm by Crowe~ »

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the feedback. Especially if something doesn't work, how am I going to find out if nobody tells me?

Yes, Crowe, the game needs to start. I force-start games after a few days even if they didn't fill up completely so that nobody has to wait forever.

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When I first click on the button just the " ^ " disappears, then if I click on the empty button again the whole chat and the button goes away.

You are right it's broken. Damn.

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B85kVfdrKMt0bVpObXpTZ0Nra1E
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B85kVfdrKMt0TTM4YTdhalRnR00

Fonts are messed up, bad scaling or something?
One Pic is 1920x1080, the other 1440x900 windowed mode. If you zoom in on "settings" at the bottom, for example, its all in pale grey, like a badly zoomed in low res picture. This is windows 7.

..Tom..

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I will need to change the font. The UI is very much something TODO, I'm working on it now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5