Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help please, unable to find kidnapped prisoners  (Read 1705 times)

TheNosferatu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Help please, unable to find kidnapped prisoners
« on: June 22, 2016, 03:48:23 am »

So I've been wandering through some dark pits for the last two and a half days. Some kids of some mayor has been kidnapped and this is where people claim the kids are. However, I can not find them at all. I can't find anything looking like a jail, I can't find anytone looking like a prisoner, I can't find anybody who wants to guide me to them.

I can ask about the abducted kids and they say they are in the town / site / dark pit where we're currently are but 'aren't exaclty sure where to look'.

From what I've been able to gather abducted people are supposed to be kept in dark fortresses, which is contrary to what the population here tells me. Now normally I'm not one to trust a goblin on it's red eyes alone but in this case I doubt they are lying. There is a dark fortress reasonbly close by, but not so close to warrent it being the same site.

It's possible that the abducted kids have grown up and are now living at the dark pits as adult civilians, I introduced myself to a bunch of the people living there in the hopes of stumbling upon them but alas, no luck.

Can anybody explain what my next course of action should be? Head for the Dark Fortress? Keep talking to each and every person of the correct species until I find the bastards? Give up this maddening quest?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Help please, unable to find kidnapped prisoners
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:01:18 am »

try using DHACK's reveal and looking for the prisoners, who won't be goblins. if you can't find any, move to the dark fortress, and use reveal there. if you can find them using reveal then you know what to look for next time without reveal.

Sidenote: if you have a short world-gen then finding the few kids they've kidnapped will quite difficult. if you have a long world-gen  there will be a LOT of goblins and trolls and beak dogs, making a LOT of lag. so much lag in fact, that it has more lag than I just had in a community fortress that's been running for 9 in-game years.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 10:05:17 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TheNosferatu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 02:34:57 pm »

I'm playing vanilla, so no dfhack unfortunately. Guess I'll try the dark fortress. Thanks!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 03:46:21 pm »

Look at the little goblin mini-towers, at the bottom of some of them will be stairs.

Get cursed as a vampire so you can sense them underground.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 09:19:25 pm »

If they're in a dark pits and not a dark fortress, they won't be there. That's bugged, sorry.

TheNosferatu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 02:22:03 am »

Look at the little goblin mini-towers, at the bottom of some of them will be stairs.

Get cursed as a vampire so you can sense them underground.

I've found the stairs and the underground rooms, just no prisoners there. I'm also already a werecreature so unable to become vampire.

If they're in a dark pits and not a dark fortress, they won't be there. That's bugged, sorry.

That's a shame. Time to let my frustrations out on the goblin population. I spend way too much times in these goblin lands.

I did found some jails in the dark fortress reasonably close by. Of course they were all empty. Sigh

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 05:06:48 am »

Just make sure you understand that even if you do find some kidnapped children to save, and actually keep them alive long enough to get out of the Dark Fort, there is a good chance they will get shived by relatives shortly after returning them to their homes. Pretty sure you still get credit though!

Haven't actually gotten that far myself, but that seems to be how things play out from what others have posted. Still a better bug to have to deal with than them not even showing up, or losing their minds and attacking you when you show up to save them like it was before.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 04:05:52 pm »

Rescuing kids from goblins is super bugged right now, to the point you shouldn't even try.