Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What are Your Nicknames for Characters and Things in Video Games?  (Read 6487 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: What are Your Nicknames for Characters and Things in Video Games?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 03:53:01 am »

Squiggoths - antlions in Half-life 2. Mainly because when I was young I thought they were making noises that sounded like "squiggoth"

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 04:06:26 am »

Any variation of my own username, and the there's "Uriel Ultim" for the more noble-esque type of character (knights, paladins, etc.).
Or the good old "Cor Umbar" for a barbarian-ish build.
Names for any other type of character.. well.. That is something which takes forever to come up with. Usually taking inspiration from various myth and legends though.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2016, 05:29:22 am »

Explode and reload - Firing all of your ammo at once in a blaze of glory, then quickly retreating like a coward. Comes from this song which I listened to a lot while playing various action games.

Wildy - any area where PVP is allowed, from Runescape.

Buying gf 1 mil - implying that somebody has played a game far, far too much. An old Runescape meme.

Dank - any loot, especially if it's vendor trash or a uselessly small amount of gp.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 06:06:01 am »

T26-4 - King Babby Derp (War Thunder)
KV2 - King Derp
Churchill 3-inch gun carrier - That bastard I can never pen!
PZIV Ausf. A - GermanyDerp
KV1 - Bouncy
Team members - meatshields or those bastards I have to shield.
Guys who squeal about Russian Bias - Guys who can't git gud scrub.

Real life Australia:
Cunt - Mate (Listen here, mate)
Mate - Cunt (Hey, ya cunt, long time no see)
Trump - Exactly like the rest of 'Murica

Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 03:42:46 pm »

General:
Delta Squad/Force - Any teams I preferably am a part or leader of, or guiding. Mainly involving doing insane/unorthodox methods of getting things done. (Screw being an Alpha, Delta is where it's really at. Usual limits are a force of 3 units, maximum or minimum.)
Alpha Strike - Firing on all (gun) cylinders. (Kudos to Mechwarrior for teaching me the term. PPC alpha strikes FTW.)
Serpent Strike - Dodge, Weave, Coil, and Kill.

Enemies: (Though the more vulgar ones, I wouldn't speak them outright)
F*** - Annoying enemy
Flying F*** - Flying variety
Trotting F*** - Horse/Centaur variety (Generally used these terms liberally when playing Tomb Raider).
Huey, Louie, and Dewey - If I'm up against a trio of (palette swap) enemies
Larry, Curly, and Moe - If they are incompetent AIs or dumb players.
Chryssalid/Lobstermen - Delicious Game (needs butter)

Weapons:
Pistol - Cherry Tapper, Ol' Reliable sidearm (Mainly because sometimes they are the MOST accurate weapon, second to sniper rifles, somehow. They rocked in Quake 2.)
Shotgun - Mainstay / Room-cleaner
Super Shotgun - Obliterator
Chaingun - Bullet-Drill
Plasma Weapons - Easy-bake
BFGs of any kind - Gamebreaker
Redeemer - ‼Fun‼ in a can that you can pilot

Abilities:
Libra/Scan - Necessary Cheat Device
Dark Matter / Gravity - Don't Matter (Too few enemies are affected by it, and it only cuts life by a fraction)
Ironsight - Easy-aim mode (Where's the fun in having better aim when it slows you down?)
Mind Control - "Not me" mode

Cheating:
As an anti-frustration feature - Fun Mode
To make things more difficult - ‼Fun Mode‼
To mess around - Classic Debug Mode
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:47:21 pm by Itnetlolor »

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 07:01:49 pm »

Squiggoths - antlions in Half-life 2. Mainly because when I was young I thought they were making noises that sounded like "squiggoth"
Squiggoths are things from WH40K I think?
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 07:03:20 pm »

Yeah. Ork Squigg that grows to behemoth proportions.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 07:08:06 pm »

Yeah. Ork Squigg that grows to behemoth proportions.
The funniest part is I didn't even know of Warhammer 40k until after I played Half Life 2.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 04:59:09 am »

All AI enemies: MOTHERFUCKER

SS2 monkies: FUCKRATS

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2016, 12:53:21 pm »

General:
Delta Squad/Force - Any teams I preferably am a part or leader of, or guiding. Mainly involving doing insane/unorthodox methods of getting things done. (Screw being an Alpha, Delta is where it's really at. Usual limits are a force of 3 units, maximum or minimum.)
Alpha Strike - Firing on all (gun) cylinders. (Kudos to Mechwarrior for teaching me the term. PPC alpha strikes FTW.)
Serpent Strike - Dodge, Weave, Coil, and Kill.

Enemies: (Though the more vulgar ones, I wouldn't speak them outright)
F*** - Annoying enemy
Flying F*** - Flying variety
Trotting F*** - Horse/Centaur variety (Generally used these terms liberally when playing Tomb Raider).
Huey, Louie, and Dewey - If I'm up against a trio of (palette swap) enemies
Larry, Curly, and Moe - If they are incompetent AIs or dumb players.
Chryssalid/Lobstermen - Delicious Game (needs butter)

Weapons:
Pistol - Cherry Tapper, Ol' Reliable sidearm (Mainly because sometimes they are the MOST accurate weapon, second to sniper rifles, somehow. They rocked in Quake 2.)
Shotgun - Mainstay / Room-cleaner
Super Shotgun - Obliterator
Chaingun - Bullet-Drill
Plasma Weapons - Easy-bake
BFGs of any kind - Gamebreaker
Redeemer - ‼Fun‼ in a can that you can pilot

Abilities:
Libra/Scan - Necessary Cheat Device
Dark Matter / Gravity - Don't Matter (Too few enemies are affected by it, and it only cuts life by a fraction)
Ironsight - Easy-aim mode (Where's the fun in having better aim when it slows you down?)
Mind Control - "Not me" mode

Cheating:
As an anti-frustration feature - Fun Mode
To make things more difficult - ‼Fun Mode‼
To mess around - Classic Debug Mode
Don't forget to say which nicknames come from which games.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2016, 04:11:28 pm »

Captain Genius - Particularly suicidal or idiotic enemies. Comes from my hours upon hours of playing GBA Fire Emblem games, when I would make enemy phases less monotonous by coming up with creative nicknames for particular enemy units. "Captain Genius" was anyone who attacked a unit such that they wouldn't deal damage but would be damaged themselves, and particularly if they were killed on the counterattack.

Wizards - Anything particularly squidlike. From Final Fantasy I, where an early-game dungeon that I got stuck on when I was ten or so has two to four "WIZARDS" (actually mind flayers from D&D) guarding the MacGuffin at the bottom. Sometimes I use "sorcerers" instead, after the palette swaps from later in the game with 1-hit-kill regular attacks.

Not really a nickname, but whenever I'm fighting zombies in any game I like to recite lines from Half-Life: Full-Life Consequences, regardless of whether or not they are headcrab zombie (and John Freeman shot the headcrab zombie oficer in the head and drove off thinking "my brother is in trouble there" and went faster.)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2016, 11:15:18 pm »

Devilboob, booby clicker, weaboob, etc.: At first just Devilian, but now it's any free-to-play anime game with gratuitous fanservice. When I asked a friend what they were playing, they introduced Devilian as "a devilboob game".
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 12:54:15 pm »

Someone told me I should post a fun story here. I'm blaming them for the necro.

So in the original Left 4 Dead, the AI would create large rushes of zombies on a timer. It would choose where they came from based largely on line of sight, ergo "If a player cannot see this spot, it can potentially spawn things".

I once had a horde of about 30-40 zombies come flying at a full sprint out of a small office cubicle that contained only a desk and an empty coffeepot. The prevailing theory is that they were all jammed into the coffeepot. Hence "coffeepotting" has become a term for "unexplainable spawn phenomena".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2017, 01:38:58 pm »

Someone told me I should post a fun story here. I'm blaming them for the necro.

So in the original Left 4 Dead, the AI would create large rushes of zombies on a timer. It would choose where they came from based largely on line of sight, ergo "If a player cannot see this spot, it can potentially spawn things".

I once had a horde of about 30-40 zombies come flying at a full sprint out of a small office cubicle that contained only a desk and an empty coffeepot. The prevailing theory is that they were all jammed into the coffeepot. Hence "coffeepotting" has become a term for "unexplainable spawn phenomena".
I like this one, a lot. It's a perfect example of how clever code can lead to unexpected phenomena that end up being coined as normal things by the player. I might just pick this one up and use it with my friends.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 01:46:45 pm »

PTW
Also, I'm totally going to use "Coffeepotting".
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4