Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Portrait  (Read 70881 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Portrait
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 06:30:17 am »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 06:51:00 am »

Kind of funny that the beard itself doesn't have a little sphere beneath the chin to distinguish them from humans if height wasn't a factor to the modelling

Veeery interesting. One other thing, would you ever consider a GUI/UI option to put these portraits broadly in the game identifying off ID?

Thinking along the lines of a Real-Time genre portrait box (that does or doesnt have to be nessecarily animated) in which you could click on it to centre, and then automate the command follow the ID of the dwarf in the portrait even after it has been unselected? (literally a lifesaver since selecting dwarves is frustrating sometimes and opens flexibility to hotkeying dwarves of interest with whatever hotkeys are left on the keyboard/numberpad)

Custom art assets would greatly benefit i imagine. Web-art comic writers, graphic pack designers and novellists could all get involved.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 07:28:19 am »

More: http://imgur.com/a/TVxqm

Actually, no hair at all is being shown, nor are teeth and tongues. What you are seeing are separate parts for mouth, lips, and cheeks.

I will be having a different way of doing semi-drawn portraits.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 07:43:12 am »

I love how that's visualizing the way DF sees creatures.
Are you planning to do something with wounds and equipment/inventory?

These kind of mannequins would be immensely useful in both adventure mode and fortress mode as a DFhack UI plugin. Having a direct visualization of the creatures' body parts would make a lot of things easier and more efficient: seeing the wounds of a creature, deciding on what body part to attack (based on which body parts a creature has, where it's armored, and where it's wounded), seeing if your soldiers or adventurer are properly equipped and clothed, and seeing wounds on a glance instead of having to read through a wall of text. I assume it's not trivial to use the code you wrote for such a DFhack plugin.

I don't remember if I ever made a suggestion thread with this, but I did make mockups a few years ago:
http://imgur.com/a/Ol1YO
Maybe they're helpful.

They're obviously optimized for a humanoid shape, but I think a more general approach like you're doing would be better
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 07:50:32 am »

I do plan on showing equipment and wounds eventually, but I'm not sure how this would really work as an ascii interface. Probably easier to just use it alongside.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 08:30:45 am »

The Clowns are coming! The Clowns are coming! The bronze colossal Clowns are coming!

Trolls and goblins are particularly terrifying.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:35:58 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 02:37:40 am »

http://imgur.com/a/dUuEh

Coming along nicely, I think.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 04:50:38 am »

This is getting better and better
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 06:14:49 am »

Indeed. Will this work in adventure mode?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 08:32:29 am »

Indeed. Will this work in adventure mode?

It works in any mode that has a save loaded.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 04:18:28 am »

Maybe the tails should be triangular. I was worried they might have been geldables until I started seeing them on females.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 07:24:38 am »

WPF doesn't have a triangle shape inbuilt. Only ellipses and rectangles.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 07:58:26 am »

Just for kicks, have you tried generating giant desert scorpions? Im intrigued as to how they would turn out with the pincers & tail.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 09:10:28 am »

There  is no giant desert scorpion in DF.

I did bark scorpions, though.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 09:29:46 am »

There  is no giant desert scorpion in DF.

I did bark scorpions, though.

The raws still exist however.  DFwiki reference with the raws detailed at the bottom of the page
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8