Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: 'Tutorial' Fort  (Read 5063 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tutorial' Fort
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2016, 09:47:07 am »

I recently read that since zones can overlap, we can have tavern, temple, and library all share the same common/ dance space. 

I mean, a temple 5x5 on the surface without statues, coffer, instruments and generic all deity should satisfy workship needs.  I'll see when I get to count who worship who in the fort's population.

Anyway, in terms of showing/tutorial on taverns, I will make
- a clear area for dance / performance from a meeting zone, with drink and food stockpile
- a dinning hall of tables and chairs-- add to tavern
- add some shared bedrooms/private storage to inn, with beds and  doors initially, then add coffer and cabinets.

Do visitors use coffers and cabinet for their personal stuff: clothing, armor, trinkets?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2016, 10:01:44 am »

Yes you can, and I like to make tavern and temple share instruments, once I get them. Tavern has similar lack of requirements as temple, though; I've gotten petitions before first caravan.

In practice, I also like to sometimes give them some separation so I can see at glance who is socializing, who is praying, who is just hungry and who is discussing the screw.

Though of only sometimes as it sacrifices efficiency. Still, for a newbie understanding what is happening is better than efficiency...I still haven't done that entirely horizontal fortress idea for that exact purpose >_>.

I've never bothered with private rooms for tavern....Not sure where my residents sleep. *checks* On rough cave floor, apparently.

Though, given that visitors can leave their tomes into fortress, possibly. Research is needed? Worldgen forts at least don't include private storage for them, unlike citizens.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:03:55 am by Fleeting Frames »

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2016, 05:03:07 pm »

Right. So i've had a few ideas for forts. Island Survival Challenge; Basically a modded world with an island which is basically 6x4 squares big,enough to strike the earth and get fishing and shit. It'd also prove to be a decent fort area since it should teach you how to survive while being sealed off from the world. What do you guys think?
GENERATION 29
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2016, 05:39:06 pm »

What would the mod be?

Also, I recall reports of migrants rising out of sea when all map edges are ocean. They're pretty determined to live at your fort.

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2016, 04:45:41 pm »

What would the mod be?

Also, I recall reports of migrants rising out of sea when all map edges are ocean. They're pretty determined to live at your fort.

Reminds me of the stubborn Dawi from the Warhammer universe... But that's still another universe. Dwarves are almost universally badass. So they tend to attract Cacame-like people.
The modded world is listed there; you're on your own, cept for maybe a couple of mainland civs; say  the Mountainhome and a goblin civ or something. Maybe those elves so they can burn with the fury of dwarven engineering
But it's not really in my head yet. Need to think about it
GENERATION 29
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2016, 05:15:47 pm »

You mean, mod being removing animals from the game? Otherwise that sounds like typical island embark.

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2016, 09:44:47 am »

I guess, but my logic is that at least with a small enough island, you only have to worry about threats from the deep, and maybe a forestry mod could come into play [Tree seeds?... pinecones? Blergh]
GENERATION 29

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2016, 09:57:55 am »

Right. So i've had a few ideas for forts. Island Survival Challenge; Basically a modded world with an island which is basically 6x4 squares big,enough to strike the earth and get fishing and shit. It'd also prove to be a decent fort area since it should teach you how to survive while being sealed off from the world. What do you guys think?

It should be fairly easy to just embark in an island without modding; and you can turtle in sealed via raising bridges. 

It does not have to be an island either, as you can just embark in a non-untamed, non-evil biome.   

You can also set invaders off, visitors=0; and even cap the population to 7 until you are ready to get +x more.

So you have time to remain focused on working towards self-sufficiency, and preparing to a population increase.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2016, 11:14:26 am »

I guess, but my logic is that at least with a small enough island, you only have to worry about threats from the deep, and maybe a forestry mod could come into play [Tree seeds?... pinecones? Blergh]
Don't need a mod to generate small island: How To Generate Small Islands, A Guide (though a forestry mod would have to be included pre-gen) [Yes it still works, advanced worldgen almost never changes].

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2016, 12:27:27 pm »

Well, since i am still a noob, albeit a noob who has read up on the wiki, i'm gonna let you guys mull over the rest. Though i do have an idea of how we could get the world seed for a reclaim to have a fully functional fort start. I'ma put Sancturne in charge for now, since he's making a lot of valid points
GENERATION 29
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]