Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Scorchedgravel - Swimming Towards The Next Generation  (Read 15819 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Scorchedgravel - Last Dwarfs in The World
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 01:40:42 pm »

Isn't there still one Dwarf left? Dwarf me please and I shall do some RP.
GOAT!!!
ME???!!! ACTING THE GOAT!!!???
NEVER!!??
Sir, please sto-
GOAT.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Kahlish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 02:23:25 pm »

Hi there !

I'd like to be dwarfed as a male Forgemaster, named Kahlish.

May Armok bless this fort !

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 04:29:27 pm »

Can I have the gem herbalist/metalsmith/broker? I'll probably be playing her as a hopeless optimist, so that ought to be fun.

Name... let's just go with 'Derro'.

Done.

Dorf me as Airith Headmistress (when custom professions are in play).

I really think this fort will survive, given your work in Doomforest and Breadbowl.

IS RPing allowed?

Done, I gave you Sodel, the carpenter/hauler.

Isn't there still one Dwarf left? Dwarf me please and I shall do some RP.

And you got the grower/armorsmtih.

Hi there !

I'd like to be dwarfed as a male Forgemaster, named Kahlish.

May Armok bless this fort !

I'll put you on the deferred dwarfing list for when we start popping out kids. You're still welcome to RP and participate even without a dwarf.

What local shrubs did you already pick up?

With them being Scarce, you should pick up the local crops for seeds before they're trampled. "Not Freezing" covers quite a wide variety of things, though I'd guess "Any temperate" is too specific for temperate badlands.

I'm also curious what worldgen parameters did you use? I see no mention of z-levels and depths. Though speaking of depths, I spy several pillars through which to go deeper from underwater seaworld =) That could provide a natural defence for visitors from above.

It'd be nice to get an image of the whole embark as well for a sense of where the things are. Any featherwood trees?

What else does Sodel Rulbim have skill in other than Carpentry? Nothing?

I uploaded the save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12187. We have featherwood and a few other things, but not much beyond that. Right now, the Final 7 haven't decided to settle (yet), and I have humans and goblins seige triggers set very low + AMBUSHER readded, so I'm really on edge that I might get company quickly.

I built them to mood in exactly the skills I wanted, so each dwarf embarked with one desirable moodable skill. Though you need a minimium of 20 dwarfs to get moods so it might be awhile before we get any artifacts.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 06:58:32 pm »

Ok, I've played through summer. Had to savescum twice, once due to a magma accident that melted most of the population, and a second because I actually got unexpected migrants (the save has been fixed to prevent that from happening again). I don't usually savescum deaths, but given I need every breeding pair of dwarf I can get, well ...

We're looking good to start operation marriage in the near future.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 09:07:21 pm »

Hm...To look at that save, I'd have to get 43.03 I guess :p, on account of running on 42.06 still due LNP. Though, if there's new dfhack for it a tavern fort would greatly like 43.03, at cost of random crashes.

And savescumming deaths, heh. That's one of the things I reserve them for, given how annoying losing progress is - also gives a way to see if same dwarf dies the same way several times, if I leave death mechanism intact.

Ah, but the corruptive influence already has me shrugging at pet deaths, instead of feeling like failure of an overseer.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 11:16:29 pm »

Hm...To look at that save, I'd have to get 43.03 I guess :p, on account of running on 42.06 still due LNP. Though, if there's new dfhack for it a tavern fort would greatly like 43.03, at cost of random crashes.

And savescumming deaths, heh. That's one of the things I reserve them for, given how annoying losing progress is - also gives a way to see if same dwarf dies the same way several times, if I leave death mechanism intact.

Ah, but the corruptive influence already has me shrugging at pet deaths, instead of feeling like failure of an overseer.

I wont normally savescum, for instance in breadbowl, I  wrecked and burnt down  the place and totalled the place, but for the purposes of plot, im willing. Once we get some children, the final seven will loose their plot armor.

As for the migrants scum, well, thene and plot. The first two waves almost always happen and I hadnt fixed it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 02:17:03 am »

..would probably have used exterminate him, d-b-d and autodump destroy on their gear/corpse with dfhack in that scenario myself :p Though, would still have to memorialise.

You mean you forgot to set pop cap, or something else?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 02:36:31 am »

..would probably have used exterminate him, d-b-d and autodump destroy on their gear/corpse with dfhack in that scenario myself :p Though, would still have to memorialise.

You mean you forgot to set pop cap, or something else?

Pop cap was set at 21. I thought when a civ was fully extinction (and the species), you'd only get the starting 7. Turns out you also get the first two waves as well. I thought about DFHacking them out, but I didn't want unslabbable ghosts or nonsense like that. It might have also triggered a progress modifier which would cause ambushs or seiges much earlier than I'd like.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 05:11:35 am »

This is a masterwork dog leather journal owned by Kogan 'NCommander' Kelnakuth. On its covered is adored images of seven dwarfs. The image related to the founding of Scorchedgravel, the last Dwarven settlement.

Summer-Autumn 150
---

Imic has been riding me on getting this thing up to date. The eternal optimist actually thinks someone is going to read this. I rather think of it as a document of all our mistakes, purposefully cataloged for study by future archaeologists studying the remains of the last of Nanorum sapiens. So, in preparation for being entombed in some sorta "Museum of Evil", I suppose I should summarize.

It's been six months since we got stranded here, and nearly killed after our wagon broke. For the most part, we've forgiven Nix for it, though I don't think the rift between her and Imic will ever heal entirely. They seem to have some unspoken agreement just not to talk to each other. It helps that she's spent most of her time digging out forges for Gwolfski, and mining out the easy-to-reach iron on the hillside:

Given our hiatus, Nix, and Imic have gone and dug out a small dining room and made some tables and chairs out of the rocks. They even managed to get Gwolfski to make some rock mugs while he waits for his forge. While I don't really like the idea of settling down here at all, I did enjoy having a place to sit, and listen to Ryukan recite some (in his mind, good) poetry.

True to her work, Udil, who has started going by Tournesol has managed to get a farm going in the clay, and has said we'll be harvesting any day. The moss transplant also has kept our llamas fed, so I don't need to worry about them starving on us.

We've also had several makeshift nestboxs set down to allow what little game we have to start laying eggs, which I'll have cooked into roasts. Combined with Mistem/Derro's work on picking the plants, our stocks our looking better. Once we have a fresh supply of pots, we can use the iron and wood we have collected to fashion a new wagon, and get on our way.

Speaking of iron, I should note the solution I came up to the magma delivery problem to get Gwolfski in business. I had Nix dig a small access tunnel to the crater, and dig a stairway directly under the forge level. While it required turning a few logs into charcoal to smelt the necessary iron, we got a pump which could move magma from the volcano and into a safe location.

Imic, of course, decided to be the one who operated it. He's always smiling ...

This worked great right up until the forges flooded*.

Gwolfski came running out, slightly singed, shouting for us to stop!

No fatalities or injuries, fortunately. The only causality was Gwolfski's clay piles, which is nothing but scorched gravel now ...

---

* - I don't get why this pressurized. Originally, I flooded the forges without that channel there, and immolated Imic and Nix when they channeled out the forge holes when it came flooding in. After I savescummed, I dug the channel in advance which prevented !!dwarfs!! but made a mess. I managed to do this a third time when I had to savescum the migrants away

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 05:54:16 am »

Magma on its own=no pressure
magma + pump=pressure

"Jeez! Them madmen. Tryin' teh kill me again. Ah weel, gotta have some fun in life, ain't ya?"
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 06:04:52 am »

Magma on its own=no pressure
magma + pump=pressure

"Jeez! Them madmen. Tryin' teh kill me again. Ah weel, gotta have some fun in life, ain't ya?"

I wasn't pumping when I channeled the floor out though. Unless the game remembers it was pumped. (I generally avoid pumping magma far so I'm not used to dealing with pressurization ...)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 06:06:25 am »

Pumps keep running for a while when you stop powering them i think.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 06:34:26 am »

Assuming this ends horribly to an early siege or something like that it might be advisable to speed up time through raw modding. Dividing the required age for dwarves (and humans and goblins if you're thorough) to grow up, marry, procreate and die by five (or some other number) would make it appear as though time was passing five times quicker. This translates to actual population growth within a few game years. The "drawback" is that legendary dwarves would have to work tirelessly to produce the same amount of masterworks. I suppose you could compensate for this by enabling fastdwarf or modding all reactions to take less time if that is possible.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 07:05:56 am »

This is a dark green donkey leather diary. On it is an image of Mistem 'Derro' Tishhislogem.

Dear diary,

Today, I gathered plants outside. You won't believe this, but I actually found some whip vines! Just think of the delicious wine we can make out of that! I also found some longland grass and potatoes, but no tomatoes, sadly.

When I returned to our (rapidly growing) camp, Gwolfski told me the forges flooded! Fortunately, no one got hurt. You can still see where the lava flowed... I guess our fortress really lives up to its name, ha ha!

Mostly, I'm just glad we have forges now. I'm itching to do some metalsmithing! I wonder what I should make... perhaps some picks, or a nice statue to commemorate our settling here? Maybe Kobuk can decorate it with some gems! I'll go ask him right now!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 07:14:53 am »

Assuming this ends horribly to an early siege or something like that it might be advisable to speed up time through raw modding. Dividing the required age for dwarves (and humans and goblins if you're thorough) to grow up, marry, procreate and die by five (or some other number) would make it appear as though time was passing five times quicker. This translates to actual population growth within a few game years. The "drawback" is that legendary dwarves would have to work tirelessly to produce the same amount of masterworks. I suppose you could compensate for this by enabling fastdwarf or modding all reactions to take less time if that is possible.

I'm willing to turtle through sieges at this point. The caverns were breached via a seperate shaft so we're secure there. Once I've got the breeding couples setup, I can basically put the fort on auto-pilot and let it run without having to watch it closely.

Narratively speaking, I've semi-plotted out the beginning. Basically, we need to have them decide to stay in Scorchedgravel, the first marriage, and then popping out kids. I can then autopilot the fort (maybe let Nix dig out a much nicer and shiner fort, and other stuff) with maybe an annual or biannual update or such during the "Intermission". That also lets me get more players into the plot quickly.

As such, it shouldn't take long to get 12 years to pass. My biggest concern are the llamas. Right now, I won't get moods until the fortresses population ticks up to 20. However, yarn can be requested in moods and only a few creatures in the game can be sheared by dwarfs. If I loose the llamas, I can expect regular mood failures which would be at best bad, and worse, game ending. Shell is also a concern, but its not common in moods anymore, and I can see cave lobsters in Atlantis so I can theoretically get some if I need it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:50:30 am by NCommander »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13