Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Scorchedgravel - Swimming Towards The Next Generation  (Read 15973 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Scorchedgravel - Last Dwarfs in The World
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 07:18:11 am »

Your post cutoff

@migrant: Dfhack has a timestream command that speeds up time.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 07:20:12 am »

For future reference, consider putting forge holes off into diagonals to fill the area fast but still depressurize (unless pumps pressure through diagonals?). Though I assumed you would break it off when magma has reached the halfway point and that stairwell would fill it up the rest :p

Outside iron mining...Seems relatively peaceful for an evil embark.

And hm, Capers. Going to cook them or let dwarves eat and plant 1x1 plot for needs?
However, Tomatoes and Buckwheat grow only in Tropical Dry Broadleaf Forest, which I'm not sure how to generate tbh - despite getting worlds with most forests them with perfect world :S.

Though with the amount of dwarves you have, it could satisfy most of fort's eating habits. Assuming 2 harvests per season, eating twice a season.....Would still need potash to feed everyone with 1x1 plot, I guess.

Which leads me to guess you're trying to fill several years of fort's brewing/clothesmaking/cooking needs at start, then take brewer and cooker off-duty?

@Migrant: Hm, dwarves dying at 30-32....How medival, but starting to work at 2.4? Geez. (Though I know this is not what you meant :p)

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 07:26:55 am »

It's not an evil embark, it's savage good.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 07:34:49 am »

...>_> I forgot, despite the cyan bubble bulbs being visible on screenshot.

Though, no unicorns in badlands.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 08:18:18 am »

For future reference, consider putting forge holes off into diagonals to fill the area fast but still depressurize (unless pumps pressure through diagonals?). Though I assumed you would break it off when magma has reached the halfway point and that stairwell would fill it up the rest :p

*sigh*, I actually thought about this *after* I mined out the workshops, but thought, its magma, it don't go up ...

I'm fairly partial to evil embarks, but they're framerate killers for one, and two with the new version, either you get husked fully armored solders which is bad, or the weather will take of the sieges for you which is boring. Dealing with resurrecting undead can be interesting but in practice it means running a vegan fort, and having lots of hammers.

A major choice in biome was trying to max the framerate. That caused to avoid oceans, and large amounts of trees. In truth, I've actually found badland/treeless embarks to be far more difficult than evil ones, plus allows for building on the surface without a huge number of causalities.

When I looked at what's left, it was glacier, tundra, or badland. Badland is most interesting of those three.

And hm, Capers. Going to cook them or let dwarves eat and plant 1x1 plot for needs?

However, Tomatoes and Buckwheat grow only in Tropical Dry Broadleaf Forest, which I'm not sure how to generate tbh - despite getting worlds with most forests them with perfect world :S.

Though with the amount of dwarves you have, it could satisfy most of fort's eating habits. Assuming 2 harvests per season, eating twice a season.....Would still need potash to feed everyone with 1x1 plot, I guess.

Food needs are really bugged up; I'm going to have to DFHack out the bad thoughts if it becomes a serious problem and more or less ignore it, or change the need to something I can get and will be common in meals. Assuming I can even get what they want, they'll only seek out a meal with it if its raw, which causes them to complain about lack of decent meals, or eat just a random meal without consideration, causing the same problem.

I could also go the other direction, and retire the fort, send an adventurer in the world, and get them to go find the seeds needed (we're not TOO far from a forest in the world map). Though that wouldn't be well into the next generation if I do it.

Which leads me to guess you're trying to fill several years of fort's brewing/clothesmaking/cooking needs at start, then take brewer and cooker off-duty?

Well, to get dwarfs to marry, they need to idle, and sometimes idle for a long time near someone their compatible with. Theoretically, I've got three pairs of breeding dwarfs ideally, and Gwolfski as the odd man out. I need two separate pairs to get more than a generation.

That's also going to need to compete with purple needs. Food production is the one thing I need to have done now that can't really wait. Since dwarfs don't reproduce via spores anymore, I'm guessing I'm going to need to allow considerable downtime to actually get them to start popping out Little Urists. Right now, the plan is to clear everyone's labors come winter->spring, and see if we can get some marriages going and continue with each passing year. If I can't get marriages, I'll have to get creative.

This is a dark green donkey leather diary. On it is an image of Mistem 'Derro' Tishhislogem.

Dear diary,

Today, I gathered plants outside. You won't believe this, but I actually found some whip vines! Just think of the delicious wine we can make out of that! I also found some longland grass and potatoes, but no tomatoes, sadly.

When I returned to our (rapidly growing) camp, Gwolfski told me the forges flooded! Fortunately, no one got hurt. You can still see where the lava flowed... I guess our fortress really lives up to its name, ha ha!

Mostly, I'm just glad we have forges now. I'm itching to do some metalsmithing! I wonder what I should make... perhaps some picks, or a nice statue to commemorate our settling here? Maybe Kobuk can decorate it with some gems! I'll go ask him right now!

Yay our first RP. I smelted a bunch of billion and brass to maximize fast metal. And I actually have you cranking out statues and other nice metal things (plus the odd wheelbarrow so you're moonlighting as a metal crafter right now). Basically, given the map, wood only gets used for beds, and eventually charcoal -> steel. Everything else is going to have to be clay or metal.

At least the fort will be absurdly valuable. Also, I ran prospect all. Almost all the wood I *do* have is cavern one. There's only about 200 logs in total on the entire map.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:32:37 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 09:16:08 am »

Interesting thoughts on biome difficulties. With FPS goal, I take it you've planned out uses for every embark tile area in your 3×3?

As far as pulling a Marco Polo goes, farm plots are biome-restricted, so your adventuring for seeds might not bear fruit.

Though, no consideration to sand deserts/rocky wastelands/mountains? They also lack trees and rain, even if they're not necessarily interesting (mountains in particular....).

Though I take the lack of wood is the reason for lack of minecarts? One of the first things I tend to do is making some myself, sometimes while miners are still digging in more permanent spaces.

Also, if you're going to turtle through digging sieges, they would be my first choice as defence, though I'm biased :p

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2016, 06:13:42 pm »

Interesting thoughts on biome difficulties. With FPS goal, I take it you've planned out uses for every embark tile area in your 3×3?

Admittedly, not really. I was going to go for a 2x2, but the OCD required the volcano be in the center of the map. I'm basically winging it

Though, no consideration to sand deserts/rocky wastelands/mountains? They also lack trees and rain, even if they're not necessarily interesting (mountains in particular....).

Deserts can be hit or miss, due to high temps. Surface water would evaporate, and then lag if/when it rains. I've also just not had fun with the last few ones I've done.

Though I take the lack of wood is the reason for lack of minecarts? One of the first things I tend to do is making some myself, sometimes while miners are still digging in more permanent spaces.

I'm still mostly in clay/soil levels so I haven't gotten to it yet. I've got enough brass and billion smelted to crank out a few. Right now, the priority is to get couples married, then the hospital, then I'm not sure. I'm kinda tempted to do a multi-z level build. Nix would have years to mine it out, she's almost legendary *as is*.

Also, if you're going to turtle through digging sieges, they would be my first choice as defence, though I'm biased :p

I've got digging invaders disabled for the moment; I need to get the breeding project to bare fruit so the loss of a dwarf or two isn't catastrophic. I haven't decided exactly how I want to handle this, but I'm a strong believer a good defense is a good offense.

EDIT: so I went to setup the honeymoon chambers, and somehow found I only have two males instead of three. Somehow I think I goofed, but not fatal.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:21:15 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 06:21:22 pm »

I could also go the other direction, and retire the fort, send an adventurer in the world, and get them to go find the seeds needed (we're not TOO far from a forest in the world map). Though that wouldn't be well into the next generation if I do it.
I found that it wasn't too terribly hard to use dfhack to change an existing seed into one for a different plant.  That way there wasn't any fiddling with creating new items, just changing one or two attributes. (If only changing a seed within its major family (standard plants, garden plants, crop plants, it's only one value.) Let me know if you'd like to go that route.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 07:37:30 pm »

I haven't decided how to handle it. I'm taking this very much one step at a time. Right now, I played through autumn and we're in winter (which has become a work stoppage season). I've got a bunch of friends but no wedding bells have gone off yet. I'll get the rest of the year played out pretty quick and then cross my fingers.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 07:41:49 pm »

Hi!

I've got a bunch of friends but no wedding bells have gone off yet. I'll get the rest of the year played out pretty quick and then cross my fingers.

I do generation forts all the time (more of a challenge, and I don't like having to micromanage migrant waves).  My experience is that the first marriages typically will happen soon into the second season after stopping work for the relevant dwarfs, so you should be seeing the announcements start to pop up in the spring sometime.  (Disclaimer: this is only a personal observation, and may not apply to other forts.)

Anyway, PTW.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2016, 07:58:05 pm »

This is my first time trying this challenge, and I think I'm the first to do it on the forums from the starting seven only. Right now, Imic is friends with everyone except Nix (who have a grudge), and everyone at least knows everyone now so progress.

I also had a bird explosion, and a new llama, so yay for breeding. Really hoping this works.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 08:03:46 pm »

I actually had no idea I was picking up the most hated member of the seven, but I'm really glad I did now, hopefully something non-lethally dramatic happens. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2016, 08:47:36 pm »

Dame de la Licorne was right on the money. After Spring ticked around, I got my first set of lovers. Gwolfski and Nix are the first couple in the fortress. Imic is the only other male, and only has one potential partner who are friends, so I'm crossing my fingers here.

EDIT: We're 2/2. Imic and Derro are lovers now too. As soon as we get two marriages, I'll start writing updates.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:53:36 pm by NCommander »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2016, 10:38:02 pm »

Hi!

Out of curiosity (and it may not fit your current plans), is there a DFHack command that can change the sex of a creature?  (If yes, this may be a way to get a third couple going, especially since you have that bi dwarf who is willing to marry, so would theoretically have two options for the "new male".  Or you can use "spawnunit" to generate 1-2 more males of the appropriate ages.  Backups can be a good idea in these things, if you want my opinion.)

Looking forward to further updates!

-Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:48:12 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2016, 10:54:14 pm »

Hi!

Out of curiosity (and it may not fit your current plans), is there a DFHack command that can change the sex of a creature?  (If yes, this may be a way to get a third couple going, especially since you have that bi dwarf who is willing to marry, so would theoretically have two options for the "new male".  Or you can use "spawnunit" to generate 1-2 more males of the appropriate ages.  Backups can be a good idea in these things, if you want my opinion.)

Looking forward to further updates!

-Dame de la Licorne

It can't be done with a command, but if you're willing to brave the gm-editor, you can change a critters caste from male to female by abusing how werebeasts work. Basically if I edit current_soul->castle, the game treats it as a werebeast transformation, and I'll get "Urist McGenderBender has become a dwarf". The bi dwarf took a female lover, and the "gaydar" command says he'll marry so its just a matter of time.

I'm kinda on the fence on doing it though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13