Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Scorchedgravel - Swimming Towards The Next Generation  (Read 15943 times)

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Scorchedgravel - Last Dwarfs in The World
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2016, 08:23:50 am »

This is a dark green donkey letter diary. On it is an image of Mistem 'Derro' Tishhislogem the female dwarf.

I'm queen consort now: it's kind of hard to believe. Nix and Gwolfski got married too. Looks like dwarves won't go extinct! (Take that, humans!).

One small problem though: Ncommander (shouldn't Imic be our 'commander'?) told me a few forgotten beasts had surfaced in the caverns. I hope they'll leave soon...

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2016, 09:30:54 am »

I've been thinking about how long it took the couples to actually get married.  Did you have standard meeting zones set up, or were they set up as tavern, library or temple?  It may be that any activity/time spent in a temple zone does not contribute to the "social time meter" required, which would slow things down.  Standard (unassigned) meeting zones may also be slow now, compared to the two other location types.  I usually have a library zone set up first (to keep my doctor's Diagnostician skill from rusting too badly), and that plus a temple are the only zones I usually set up for the first year or two.

I need to test that...

Dame de la Licorne wanders off, muttering.

-Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:34:02 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2016, 01:56:02 pm »

The well water should be 2z deep indeed, but that just means 1 additional tile of channeling - the water can still otherwise come in from 1z below.

The spider one - I was thinking of using bait (you do have furniture and turkeys. So many turkeys, it's thanksgiving!) and then locking it in for silk production. I don't think military can capture FBs alive in the first place?

Of course, with diginvaders, it might very well be able to dig/deconstruct/teleport it's way out of it - not sure how that thing works tbh.

Tournesol

• Bay Watcher
  • GOAT?? ME??
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2016, 02:10:45 pm »

There are buzzards here. I hope we set up a breeding program. Yes, I know they are not giant buzzards, my favourite meal, but better than nothing especially as nobody knows how to butcher the giant ones.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2016, 02:28:10 pm »

There should be giant buzzards, tough. Joyous wilds, just you wait.

Heck, putting a fortification-windowed bit of food, drink and bucket on the mountaintop with cage trapped entranceway should help catch all kinds of distractions.

Tournesol

• Bay Watcher
  • GOAT?? ME??
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2016, 02:32:05 pm »

Speaking OOC, the issue is giant buzzards yield nothing at all (according to DF Wiki), yet they are my favourite kind of food. That is why I'm calling for a !!SCIENTIFIC!! breeding experiment.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2016, 03:47:37 pm »

The well water should be 2z deep indeed, but that just means 1 additional tile of channeling - the water can still otherwise come in from 1z below.

The spider one - I was thinking of using bait (you do have furniture and turkeys. So many turkeys, it's thanksgiving!) and then locking it in for silk production. I don't think military can capture FBs alive in the first place?

Of course, with diginvaders, it might very well be able to dig/deconstruct/teleport it's way out of it - not sure how that thing works tbh.

digInvaders only affects "sentient"/tool using civs. FOrgotten beasts don't dig. Also, right now its off, as I would stand no chance against a siege right now. Once I have some chance, it will get turned on. Never thought of just channeling the well squares one deep, I just make the whole thing multi-z level.

There are buzzards here. I hope we set up a breeding program. Yes, I know they are not giant buzzards, my favourite meal, but better than nothing especially as nobody knows how to butcher the giant ones.

Whatever I can catch, I train :)

Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2016, 04:25:01 pm »

Nah, their butchering return data isn't just added to the wiki yet; there are lot of articles on giant creatures like that. They're about same size as giant keas, so I'd expect similar returns.

And NCommander, I meant more the mechanics of how they work (will they dig? Or deconstruct? Or both? What if they are unable to path due hanging in mid-air? Can they deconstruct walls from above, unlike dwarves? What about from below? ), though not applying to everything is surprising.

One advantage of tiered well is that if a dwarf falls in they can get out by ramps without always falling to the bottom and getting injured like with stairs.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:30:47 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2016, 04:38:41 pm »

Hi!

Something else I was thinking about on the way back from work.  Since FBs have appeared, I'm guessing you've left invaders on, which means that your most precious resource is likely at the biggest risk at the moment (unless Scorchedgravel is completely walled off from the surface).  It sounds like there are plenty of chicks/poults/other FPS drainers around, so you may want to consider using them as your early warning systems, or finding some other way of protecting your future labor force.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2016, 05:22:51 pm »

Dear journal

Honeymoon's been fun.  To be honest, I'm starting to miss my pickaxe.  Oh wait, did I actually write down that I got married?  Silly me, Gwolfski and I got hitched!  No time wasted too, wasn't sure if my little ore in the smelter got there before or after the nuptials.  I wonder what parts it'll be born with.  This is all quite exciting.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2016, 10:34:33 am »

dwarf me as one of the babies. more specifically name it "Pichu17"
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2016, 06:41:21 am »

We have our first real defenses in place, a new lava-powered garbage dump, and a fair bit more. Update coming soonish (I hope). First birth should happen any (in game) day now)

First baby born in Scorchgravel to Imic and Derro. Fortress population now stands at 8.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:48:02 am by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2016, 07:19:38 am »

This is a masterwork dog leather journal owned by Kogan 'NCommander' Kelnakuth. On its covered is adored images of seven dwarfs. The image related to the founding of Scorchedgravel, the last Dwarven settlement.

Summer 552

With marriage in the air, we've had statues installed to commemorate the event. With both Nix and Derro now having ore in the smelter, I've turned our attention to our defenses, or lack of them. The fact of the matter is we're going to be found, sooner or later. Turtling away isn't an option, we'll simply be dug out and history will repeat.

If our species is to continue, the fact of the matter that of the seven us, only three of us are expendable, me, Tournesol, and Ryukan. Three vs. an army. Won't work. But, if we can inflict wounds on them at a distance and hold the high ground, we may have a chance. As such, I've decided to do something with all this stone we have laying around.

We're going to build a tower, fill it with bolts, and shoot anything that comes close to Scorchedgravel. Right now, I'm building it 3 urist high, but maybe in the future we'll expand it.

For the first time since we've gotten here, I'm working in my trade as a weaponsmith.

And taking advantage of our nicely growing stocks of metal

Autumn 552

Work on the tower continues. With the exception of the butchers/tanner shop, I've also moved all our industries to an expanded workshop row.

Derro has been on light work due to her pregnancy, but she's gone outside and brought in a good haul of plants to help keep variety in our diets. I've been against her going outside, but she's the only herbalist we've got, and well, I rather keep her happy.

I finished the first set of bolts earlier in the summer; 500 should do as a starter batch, and I'll kick more out as we need them.

I've even improved my cooking as well:

Meanwhile, more trouble is rumbling below. We're not going to get into the caverns anytime soon at this rate:

---

Winter 552

The archery tower is complete! I've had targets installed in the first and second level. My attention now turns to what we should wear. Tournesol is a good armorsmith, but I'm worried both about the weight of the armor slowing us down, especially during training. For the time being, I've decided to take advantage of the piles of leather we have laying around from the great bird slaughter of 551.

Nix has also become the first legendary dwarf, having obtained full understanding of the pick.

I've also gotten an idea of how to improve our defenses. We've got dogs. We've got lots of dogs. We can train dogs. Gwolfski is going to train our dogs.

Gwolfski has a wolf-pack.

---

There is life here.

We will survive.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Scorchedgravel - Breeding The Next Generation
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2016, 07:27:29 am »

Dear journal

It's official.  I have a daughter.  I must admit it's a relief to be able to carry my child on my back as opposed to in my belly.  Gwolfski and I are so happy, we're still deciding on a name

Don't worry journal, you'll be the first to know.  Till then, it's a digging I go.

((of course, we'll only name the kid if nobody claims her for dorfing))
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Scorchedgravel - Breeding The Next Generation
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2016, 07:41:17 am »

Journal of Gwolfski

A happy place this is to me. The last though we are, we will survive and prosper. Today I was told to start training the dogs. I like dogs. It's a nice job.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13