Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The first Tavern (Succession Game)  (Read 1646 times)

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The first Tavern (Succession Game)
« on: July 03, 2016, 07:10:01 pm »

The definitive History of The Ultimate Orange
Prologue
Taverns and Inns are everywhere these day. Perhaps the most dwarven places we get to visit before we return to the embrace of the blood god himself. Drinking. Fighting. Eating. An Inn is one of the few places your everyday dwarf gets to punch an elf.
The sort of place you would expect to be dreamed up by a retired hammer master. No no.
The first Inn was founded by a strange dwarf. Some might call him elf-like. But make no mistake young Urist...
He still invented the Inn. He acted fey his whole life...
Perhaps it was the artifact that he gave to the world

-The Legacy of the Ultimate Orange: Children's story ~345

Introduction to Chapter 1
The first year of many fortresses can prove to be defining. Oversights here can lead to disaster years down the line. In our day and age the expedition's are chosen carefully with multiple scouting trips to determine the best location to strike the earth. When the founders of the Ultimate Orange left home it was the 5th year on record. There was very little idea of what lurked beyond the horizon.

The bizarre dwarf leading the charge kept some notes of the fortresses progress in the first year however no pictures were sketched so how it looked in the earliest days will forever remain a mystery. The diary does give us an interesting insight into the mind of this legendary, but also petty, dwarf.

Chapter 1

---
13th Granite
We made it. To the proud land of… CudgelSeiged? Hopefully that won’t be bad for business. Whatever business actually is. See I’ve had a dream ever since I was a fully grown dwarf willed into existence by Armok. To build a place where people of most species can come and get drunk and listen to me play music. The sort of place I’d like to spend my life in. The sort of place any sane creature would want to spend their entire life in. The sort of place you want to be in…
An Inn. That’s what I’ll call it.
---
28th Granite
A small grassy spot right on the shore is where the foundations for the main hall have been laid out. The trees that once grew on the spot are so called “Coughfee trees” which has given the whole hall a pleasant but some-what overpowering smell when used as the building materials. A simple jetty has also been put in place so the fisher doesn’t have to sit on the pebbles. Hard stone is fine for any dwarf but sitting on pebbles is just grim.
---
6th Slate
The hall is done. Well it has a floor and walls. No roof or doors but now that its shape is in place it can be left for a little to focus on other tasks. A little cave has been dug out for farming. A reliable source of booze is probably key to having a functioning Inn.
A little hut to house the fishery has been erected near the jetty along with a small stockpile to store raw fish. Don’t want that being kept near the main hall. The combination of odours from squid and coughfee wood is something I do not want to experience.
---
15st Malachite
Well things are well underway. Some dwarves heard about my plan to create the best place ever and decided to lend a hand.
Notably, which is to say I have already forgotten which dwarves started with me and which ones have just arrived, there was a High-master miner and a High-Master Herbalist. The miner relieved me even not because I wasn’t good enough but just because I don’t think that it is right for me to be doing things like that long term. I am an artist!
The herbalist was most strange though. She walked into the field and picked a single strawberry. As she did so the wind seemed to stop. A single tear rolled down her cheek as she smiled softly at, perhaps, the single most beautiful strawberry anybody has ever laid eyes on. She turned to our somewhat less talented herbalist and showed her the fruits of her labour.
Her newfound pupil broke down in tears and declared the new arrival to be a figure of legend. Perhaps I shall compose a song about this legendary fruit picker of ours.
---
20th Malachite
This new influx of labour has really sped things along. I’ve decided the Inn will open tomorrow. The stationary instruments have been placed in the corner. Some complete novice has churned out just a WHOLE BUNCH of low quality goblets for us to drink out of. A single table and a single chair sit proudly… is the far corner.
---
21st Malachite
Whoooooooooo! Its open. I hope everybody enjoys it! The ultimate orange! What a name. I don’t know where I thought of it but it just came to me. I declared that the hall was now an Inn and just like that it was The ultimate orange. Instruments that we brought with us finally getting use. Exotic booze that we’ve never tried before. A catch of the day special. This place has truly become everything I have expected. It’s not an underground dining hall but I think I’ll like it. Just in a different way. Besides it would be cruel to have try to get humans and, dare I say, Elves into one of our deep dark labyrinths. If I am to share my gift of performance with the world they I will have to be accommodating. Besides most of these half wits I have working with me don’t care as long as there is new booze to try. I’m optimistic about my glorious dream!
---
21st Malachite again
 There is so much vomit. I wish I could complain about these simpletons ruining my beautiful coughfee floors but I’m fairly sure a lot of it is mine. Gives it an authentic dwarven feel but it still needs to be cleaned up because I imagine there will be more.
 I spotted a stupid looking dwarf and asked them their occupation. “Potash maker m’lady”
I didn’t know whether to be angry that he somehow thought he would be a useful feature at my glorious Inn or happy that I have someone to do the cleaning up without having to stop any useful tasks being done.
I named him BogBrush and told him that he was the cleaner now.
---
7th Limestone
Haven’t written in you in a while diary. I apologise. You too deserve the brilliance that are my musings. The pace of progress has slowed to a comfortable meander. Some more helpers came bringing staff up to 21. A bone carver of note arrived with them and has been churning out shell nick nacks to trade. Hopefully we can get some exotic instruments. Still no guests at the inn but that’s not a problem just yet. They will come once word gets out.
---
7th Timber
Some blacksmith has been brawling in my Inn. Now there is vomit AND blood on the floor. The dwarf he was fighting hasn’t held a grudge apparently but I’ll keep my eye on him. The focus should be on me! I am the performer here.
---
15th Timber
AGAIN! He got into a fight again! I swear on my beard that if will not let him ruin my Inn.
---
28th Timber
Oh what news I have for you today diary! What news indeed! Our friend the blacksmith has been possessed. He is huddled under the table in the corner (note: We need more than one table) and hasn’t moved. I can’t let it seem I’m doing nothing to help him but I will make sure things progress as slowly as possible.
---
4th Moonstone
I finally built a forge for poor Led the blacksmith. But oh no diary! There are no metal bars? Darnnnnnnnnn! If only somebody got onto that.
---
17th Opal
How unfortunate. I intending to play with Led but his skills would have proved useful in manufacturing instruments for me to play. However looks like I forgot to tell anybody that it was their job to smelt some bars for him until it was too late. It was on the to do list. Just nobody had been personally told to do it.
Ah well, he is off wandering in the wilderness now. Too bad so sad don’t vomit in the GOD DAMN ultimate orange!
---
20th Obsidian
Led’s, effective, death has made me think about things. All things considered I haven’t been bad at running this whole thing but its becoming hard to focus on all the different tasks that keep this beautiful dream alive.
Just yesterday I was looking around the grounds and noticed the beehives that were put up in the first month or so of arrival were all harbouring thriving colonies that I was simply unaware of. I had brought along a bee keeper and specifically ordered the production of the hives but I just had no idea it had come to any kind of fruition.
Another issue is that I told the cook to prepare some gourmet food for me. When he asked how much I merely replied "All of it" because I was feeling in a mischievous mood that day. While on the same walk around the grounds I noticed the plump helmet fields lay barren. He had cooked all the seeds. We have ample sources of food elsewhere and the caravan will in now doubt bring some for us to replenish our seed bank.
Regardless as such come the new year I think I will step down as expedition leader in a literal sense and instead pursue expeditions into the minds of my audience to see if I can find the spark in them to ignite their passions.
I’ve chosen new year because it just seems so romantic. New year. New me.
I will still be the be the heart and soul of this little diamond in the rough. Perhaps one day this beacon of the arts will be respected by both travellers and the mountain homes alike. Perhaps I'll be a baron? A duke? Maybe even a KING. One thing is for certain though: I shall be the image of the of a generation!
---

The diary continues after this point. However to learn the story of the Ultimate Orange it is necessary to shift perspective. Direct control of the fort changed after this point. To see how the change in task master made their mark on the evolution of this legendary hall it is necessary, in this authors mind, to see their thought processes while they did so.

----------

Now its your lucky day. You get to take the helm of the Ultimate Orange. What will you accomplish in your year? How will dwarven history remember you?

Version 42.06 just because I haven't updated yet.
Mayday texture pack I believe.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12219

Feel free to post claiming it straight away as there is no queue.
Dorfing requests are up to the person playing.

5 - Oidip
6 - Could be you?!?
7 - Could be you?!?
8 - Could be you?!?
9 - Could be you?!?
10 - Could be you?!?

From when you start your turn you have 4 days to play as much or as little as you want.
I don't think the amount of time spent managing the fort in game matters as long as in the real world the pace of change between players is kept to a nice level.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:59:47 am by oidip »
Join the new Hermit Succession

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: The first Tavern (Succession Game)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 04:38:56 am »

Your yarn is carefully crafted, finely minced and meticulously prepared.

However, I'm someone more on the side of gameplay.

As such, I inquire about the following:

❶ Maps of how the fortress now looks - I don't know if everyone has private dining room, bedroom, tomb and throne room stacked vertically into the earth or if everything is in 40×40 Inn right now for maximum meetings. A local map of the surface wouldn't hurt either.
❷ The biomes the fort is situated in, and perhaps what plants you do have growing (prospect) and able to grow (check region-pops list).
❸ The neighbours, their population, and what years the fort takes place in - is it 2, or is it 344? Should we expect undead sieges, or complete lack of visitors.
❹ What do the dwarves of Cudgelsieged do. We already know a few, of course, but the high master herbalist could be master in every other skill without our knowledge.
❺ What's the state of fortress' stocks.
❻ What do you expect of the following players to do and not do?

Of course, you may answer all, some or none of them, depending on how you feel like.

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:52:12 am »

It takes place in the year 5.
I have played through a bit on a parallel save and Elf and Human caravans arrive.
I don't know how to check the Biome I'm afraid but its a forest of some kind that has Coffee trees, Kenaf plants and Strawberries (among other things).

Map of the fort:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarves in fort:

Stocks:

As for what I expect the following players to do?
Create an interesting story. I have tried to create the impression that this is truly the first time these dwarves have done most of this. Beyond their literal skills which they were born into the world knowing they have no idea of the bigger picture.
However the fort is in the hands of the player who takes the save. I created what it is now from what I thought a namby pampy lay about artist would want. The next person to take it over could carry on that design ideal or focus on what their character's vision of the future of the fort and of The Ultimate orange.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:57:42 am by oidip »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 08:41:26 am »

Coffee trees are only found in tropical moist broadleaf forest, if it it was a single-biome embark. You can always check by making a backup and retiring the fort, then checking it in start a new game. Smaller shears requires an annoying fine combing with probe currently though, which is why I asked for region-pops list - are you not running any utilities?
Therapist is one reason why I haven't upgraded from 42.06 myself

Thanks for fort screenshots, that's definitely a design I haven't seen yet.
Haven't looked at how to replace tilesets myself, maybe I'll take the time *undecided*

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 10:12:08 am »

I've got a whole bunch of utilites but no real idea on how to use them. Have only just picked DF up again in the last month and before that I used to play completely vanilla. I got the lazy newb pack just because I wasn't sure whether I was going to play it for any longer than a few days.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 12:44:21 pm »

Well, this is not the only case of needing to update tilesets....Lets try this pyLNP launcher...

And upon further investigation, it also ate my customized presets without me touching that area.

Um...Yeah, not touching that launcher again. I liked those presets.

Still, I've seen graphics pack fail worse.

Attempting to fulfil my signature...Attempt failed.

How do I unfuck graphics?

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 01:40:00 pm »

I have literally no idea.
For me I can literally just install the graphic packs on the list and then update the saves no problem. I can do it for you if you want a specific pack?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 01:53:09 pm »

Ascii would be great, yes.

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 11:08:10 am »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 12:34:18 pm »

Yeah, that works. Using bit of tooling....

Personal highlights would be sand, jet, coal and iron.

Probe reports the ocean and forest is untamed wilds, with airspace sheared with wilderness....Checking embark situation with retirement...Man, the world must be huge given how long it takes to start:

Goblins are only in the range of 4 dwarf civs out of 19. However, the embark civilization is one of them. NightmareUttered the dark fortress of the Witch of Throwers sprung from the Witch of Patterning is somewhat threatening despite being goblin-led site with 1 goblin, for it's residents also include 32 trolls, beak dogs and 1 one-eyed devil - probably capable of routing all the forts on it's own. They shouldn't siege for a bit yet given the low population, though.

Spoiler: Worldgen parameters (click to show/hide)
Seems like there will be bit of digging to reach the caverns. Lot of megabeasts too, wonder if any near us.

There is about 2-6k units of each race, with the parent civ The Sensitive Creation having about 280 dwarves including Cudgelsieges.

Furthermore, underground the olm men civilization dances around an exceptional five-point star The Greatest Desks.

Notable figures absent in the fort include
the king Cog Versegem (no relations and already fought with forgotten beast Ozor Curseriddle - might get a surprise promotion),
general Alåth Scouredmined (married to Etur ShockedTrade)
and baron Stǎkud Gearpaints.(married to Olon Trusssalve with 4 year old daughter and 3 year old son)

Tomato and Acacia? Is there shear of tropical dry broadleaf somewhere?

Maybe can get a breeding pair of giant tigers. Not peregine falcon breeding, though, and no stealing birds.

END ANALYSIS
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:36:04 pm by Fleeting Frames »

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 07:45:19 am »

Well those are some interesting things to know. The giant tigers sound very decadent. The fortress could become a Las Vegas style fortress.
Regarlds of in world silliness I am off on a road trip for the next week or so. As such I will not be updating this but hopefully there will be some updates on the story.

I have complete faith that if more than one turn takes place then the proud denizens of this forum can figure it out without my guiding hand for a few days.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 02:33:47 am »

PTW