Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should I name the different glass types?

Use the same color naming conventions as the cloth.
- 5 (50%)
Use gem names.
- 5 (50%)
Other (respond in thread)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarven Haberdasher Cloth Armor/Industry Mod v1.4 Our beds have pillows!  (Read 21502 times)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile

Link to download in the spoiler.

Dwarven Haberdasher Cloth Armor/Industry Mod

===Installation===

Before begining either installation method;

- If you do not want the enemy civs, then delete the text files with _civ at the end of the name. (there are 4)

- If you do not want glass weapons, then delete the text files with _glass at the end of the name. (there are 2)

- If you ONLY want the enemy civs, then delete all files EXCEPT the _civ files and the creature_haber_dark file

Method A: If you do not use the Starter Pack's mod tool.

1. Unzip the file on top of your Dwarf Fortress folder. ENSURE THAT YOU WILL BE PROMPTED BEFORE OVERWRITING ANYTHING.

2. You will be notified that raw/objects/entity_default.txt already exists. If you use no other mods, accept this overwrite.

3. If you do use other mods, copy the contents of raw/objects/entity_default.insert (this can be opened using notepad or a similar program) and paste them into raw/objects/entity_default.txt right after [TRANSLATION:DWARF] in [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN].

Method B: If you want to use the Starter Pack's mod tool.

1. Unzip the file into a folder inside the Starter Pack's LNP/Mods folder, such as Dwarven Haberdasher.

2. Cut the grahics folder (which is inside the raw folder just extracted) out of this location and paste it into the same spot under LNP/Graphics/<your graphics pack)/raw. There should be no conflicts. Do this before any graphics packs changes you make with the Starter Pack.

3. Double-click "Dwarven Haberdasher" to move it from Available to Merged, where it will be highlighted in yellow due to overwriting a vanilla file. Mix with other mods if desired, then click Install Mods.

===Description===

This mod adds cloth armor to the game. The cloth armor is based off of medieval cloth armor, cloth armor worn during Alexander the Great's time, Incan/Mayan/Aztec cloth tech, and Japanese cloth armor. The mod does not change any vanilla RAWs (except necessary tags in the entity_default file) so it should work with other mods.

This mod adds;
 Chest Armor: Arming Doublet, Pauldrons, Surcoat
 Helm: Arming Cap
 Gloves: Bracers
 Feet: Boots
 Legs: Padded trousers

Additional plant thread crop grown all year: Cave Moss
 A glue crop: Tower Cap Stalks
 The glue is made through process plant to barrel task.

The system works like this;
 2 plant thread + 1 dye --> colored quilted cloth (equal to copper)
 2 plant thread + 1 leather + 1 dye --> colored padded leather cloth (equal to bronze)
 4 plant thread + 1 glue + 1 dye --> laminated quilt cloth (equal to steel)

All new armor and cloth made at the clothier's shop.

v1.1
 2 new dye crops added: Rock Tripe (teal dye), Liverwort (dark green dye), and Maroon dye added to the Toadstool crop

Cloth furniture: bed, chair, table, door, and casket; made at clothier

Quilted Carpets and Laminated Tiling; made at clothier
 The carpets and tiling come out as bars, think of them as rolls, and then you simply build them like you would a floor or wall. I made them bars so that when you "k" look at them it says "quilted fiber carpet" instead of it adding block to the end. Also, since they are building materials, you can build furniture on top of it. Makes for a cozy fortress.

Armor adjusted so that metal armor can be worn in addition to the cloth armor.

v1.2

New cloth items and furniture added;

armor stand
 weapon rack
 hatch cover
 cabinet
 statue
 bookcase
 backpack
 quiver
 splint
 book binding
 toy: doll
 shield

Glass Weapons added to the glassmaker work shop. The material is called "glass" and is comparable to steel. All weapons normally made in dwarf mode are available. Additionally glass bolts can be made in stacks of 100.

To make glass weapons the reaction is as follows;
 1 log + 1 laminated cloth + glue + sand = glass weapon of your choosing

Two new reactions for raw materials. The reactions are included in the glass reactions file so if you don't install the glass weapons the reactions below will not be present.

1. Make tower cap logs

3 tower cap stalks + glue = 1 tower cap log; the reaction is done at the screw press.

2. Grind blocks to sand

1 rock block + empty bag = 1 bag of sand; the reaction is done at a quern or millstone.

4 hostile civs

1. Minotaur
 2. Ogre
 3. Drow (really just elves but with cloth armor and glass weapons)
 4. Duegar (really just dwarves)

All civs worship death gods to increase the amount of towers available. Drow and Duegar creatures were added to tell civs apart while embarking. Drow are mortal to increase necromancers.

v1.3

Reworked making the cloth system a bit. Now all cloth types require dye.

7 colors of each cloth; cream, cobalt, maroon, gold, charcoal, dark green, teal. 3 cloth types: quilted, padded leather, and laminate.

Each colored cloth can be made into carpets, rugs, and tiles of the appropriate color.

4 new crops; lichen (gold dye), puffball (cream dye), dusk fern (charcoal dye), and dawn fern (cobalt dye).

Specific cloth material can be detailed from the manager for all cloth furniture and items, so instead of relying on stockpile links you can simply indicate what cloth you want to use through the manager or by hitting "d" on the task in the workshop.

All dyes are edible and are called "powder" this was done so that you will have an accurate count of available materials for manager work order conditions.

Ability to create fancy furniture complete with pillows, cushions, blankets, encrusted images, embroidery, frames, etc. Making fancy furniture requires different materials depending on the furniture. They all require a piece of cloth, some thread, and a log. Some of them require a cut gem (glass works). I posted an example previously.

I added a lot this time so if there are any bugs let me know. As always, questions and comments are welcome. Enjoy!

v1.4

Can now make glass bars (same material requirements as glass weapons) so that you can make glass furniture and armor at the forge. (will work on fancy glass furniture and different glass types for next release)

Added a version of minotaurs and ogres so that they are not attacked on sight when they come to visit your fortress. They also will not topple your fancy furniture!

Major formatting changes to make it easier to install the mod.

1. The glass and enemy civ components are no longer in separate folders.
 2. Added an installation readme and manifest.json file (should be easier to install via LNP).
 3. Added Ironhand graphics for Drow, Duegar, Minotaur, and Ogre.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:31:03 am by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cloth Armor Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 01:55:41 am »

I had made a cloth mod before but it was much too big and unwieldy. I do plan to implement the other parts of my previous mod if enough people are interested.

Right now I am working on glass weapons to go with the cloth armor but I am having trouble with the production chain. I want to try and make it somewhat realistic.

I also want to add a couple more crops so as to expand farming a little.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 07:33:40 am »

Looks nice
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 09:08:53 am »

Did you test if dwarves can wear your cloth armor underneath their normal armor, if the layer permits are fine?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 02:53:23 pm »

While this is a really nice idea, I got to question the strength of these materials. Why make quilted cloth equal to bronze and it's laminated counterpart equal to steel? People who wore cloth armours usually did so because they couldn't afford better stuff. Sure it might save your life, but it should be leather-tier stuff.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 03:59:14 pm »

While this is a really nice idea, I got to question the strength of these materials. Why make quilted cloth equal to bronze and it's laminated counterpart equal to steel? People who wore cloth armours usually did so because they couldn't afford better stuff. Sure it might save your life, but it should be leather-tier stuff.

This is actually not true. Woven material is exemplary armor. If you know anything about material science you wouldn't fall for this common myth.

Just doing a basic net search I found these sites.

https://pintsofhistory.com/2011/08/10/mesoamerican-cotton-armor-better-than-steel/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linothorax
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjJ7-i0h8TNAhUI8mMKHbTEDbkQtwIIGzAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCULmGfvYlso&usg=AFQjCNFTRdvRYiMEx0YHXcKesV9rfLZwyQ

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 04:02:51 pm by Halnoth »

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 04:06:05 pm »

Did you test if dwarves can wear your cloth armor underneath their normal armor, if the layer permits are fine?

No, but I could, most of these items were worn by knights beneath their plate, so it would make sense.

My idea was stand alone armor, as an alternative to metal. Like the Aztecs or Linothorax. It would certainly make sense to layer these beneath plate though.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 04:11:54 pm »

This is actually not true. Woven material is exemplary armor. If you know anything about material science you wouldn't fall for this common myth.

Just doing a basic net search I found these sites.

https://pintsofhistory.com/2011/08/10/mesoamerican-cotton-armor-better-than-steel/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linothorax
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjJ7-i0h8TNAhUI8mMKHbTEDbkQtwIIGzAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCULmGfvYlso&usg=AFQjCNFTRdvRYiMEx0YHXcKesV9rfLZwyQ
I suppose I was wrong then. Though I am not too displeased by it since, well, I learned something. I feel like the first article exaggerates a bit, but yeah. Too bad armour in DF is, in some ways, simplified. I feel like there should be some advantages and disadvantages to choosing steel over this and the other way around.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 04:28:47 pm »

I suppose I was wrong then. Though I am not too displeased by it since, well, I learned something. I feel like the first article exaggerates a bit, but yeah. Too bad armour in DF is, in some ways, simplified. I feel like there should be some advantages and disadvantages to choosing steel over this and the other way around.

Ya the differences are too subtle to model in DF properly. The armor user skill makes the lightweight mobile aspect of cloth armor obsolete. Steel's advantage is that it could potentially take a few more hits but I have no idea how the new armor damage system works, and I have a hunch that the system would not provide for a meaningful difference.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 04:38:08 pm »

A few question for you.

As evidenced by changes exhibited in the recent patch, how will cloth armours react to the recent changes made to armour, especially on account to degradation and reacting beneath the impact of steel armour by heavy weapons like whips (very deadly) and maces (turns armour users into mulch) plus protecting as a second layer for edged

To pull out a few toady patch note quotations
(*) Made combat damage weapon and armors depending on material differences etc.
(*) Allowed strong attacks/shakes to translate some force to joints and parent parts even if blocked by armor
(*) Reduced clothing stopping power based on penetration depth

EDIT - Whoops, sorry Halnoth, i wasn't aware that you weren't 100% clued up on the combat changes. I highly recommend assuming control of dragons in arena mode and melting iron arrows in the inventories of archers in order to get a depth of the new system. Iron whips can down fully armoured cyclopses, even when wielded by very small races by knocking them unconcious by exploiting armour penetration and neck jerks. All and all armour is no longer invincible and a extra layer underneath (that can also catch fire  ;D is appreciated) is most likely going to have some effect to penetration.

To spare anyone else asking the silly question, would this also increase or hamper the increase of armor skills based on how much your dwarves are wearing and able to tolerate at any one time?

I think the glue crop is a very good idea in of itself and should really have a solo career, but thats my own opinion.

> Is the glue attached 'as is' or slurried may i ask? The OP isn't exactly clear.

(*) Made paper slurries stockpile-able (won't work without updated raws)

Otherwise, despite them being rather strong, this is a very good suggestion.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 04:40:12 pm by FantasticDorf »

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 05:04:46 pm »

A few question for you.

As evidenced by changes exhibited in the recent patch, how will cloth armours react to the recent changes made to armour, especially on account to degradation and reacting beneath the impact of steel armour by heavy weapons like whips (very deadly) and maces (turns armour users into mulch) plus protecting as a second layer for edged

To pull out a few toady patch note quotations
(*) Made combat damage weapon and armors depending on material differences etc.
(*) Allowed strong attacks/shakes to translate some force to joints and parent parts even if blocked by armor
(*) Reduced clothing stopping power based on penetration depth

EDIT - Whoops, sorry Halnoth, i wasn't aware that you weren't 100% clued up on the combat changes. I highly recommend assuming control of dragons in arena mode and melting iron arrows in the inventories of archers in order to get a depth of the new system. Iron whips can down fully armoured cyclopses, even when wielded by very small races by knocking them unconcious by exploiting armour penetration and neck jerks. All and all armour is no longer invincible and a extra layer underneath (that can also catch fire  ;D is appreciated) is most likely going to have some effect to penetration.

To spare anyone else asking the silly question, would this also increase or hamper the increase of armor skills based on how much your dwarves are wearing and able to tolerate at any one time?

I think the glue crop is a very good idea in of itself and should really have a solo career, but thats my own opinion.

> Is the glue attached 'as is' or slurried may i ask? The OP isn't exactly clear.

(*) Made paper slurries stockpile-able (won't work without updated raws)

Otherwise, despite them being rather strong, this is a very good suggestion.

Ya I have tested the armor in arena, it reacts much the same as steel except of course that it will catch fire at lower temperatures. I have not tested it in conjunction with steel armor but I will do so and adjust layerings accordingly for my next release. My idea here was stand alone armor but like I said before it makes sense to layer the cloth with steel.

Laminate is half as heavy as steel and quilted is about a 3rd. The cloth armor should not hamper movement much and should act the same in relation to armor skill.

The glue is made through a process plant to barrel task. I didn't want to make toadstools only for glue since I wanted it to have other uses for now. However, as I expand the mod and find more uses for glue I may reevaluate this.

Edit: Fixed a typo.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 12:12:07 am by Halnoth »

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 06:58:46 am »

Main post updated! Poll updated.

v1.1
 2 new dye crops added: Rock Tripe (gold dye), Liverwort (dark green dye), and Maroon dye added to the Toadstool crop

Cloth furniture: bed, chair, table, door, and casket; made at clothier

Quilted Carpets and Laminated Tiling; made at clothier
The carpets and tiling come out as bars, think of them as rolls, and then you simply build them like you would a floor or wall. I made them bars so that when you "k" look at them it says "quilted fiber carpet" instead of it adding block to the end. Also, since they are building materials, you can build furniture on top of it. Makes for a cozy fortress.

Armor adjusted so that metal armor can be worn in addition to the cloth armor.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:14:41 am by Halnoth »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cloth Armor Mod: Updated! Now with Cloth Furniture and Carpets
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 08:05:12 am »

Nice.

Just a another question, wouldn't a cloth bed just be a large mattress? And chairs technically being beanbags?

I find the idea of having my dwarves mellow out on a beanbag made out of cloth, but furnished with cave blob leather for a luxorious effect (given that cave blobs are already squishy and circular) to be amusing. Just a bunch of idle workers hanging out in a meeting hall getting lost in the artifact beanbags.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 08:29:15 am »

Nice.

Just a another question, wouldn't a cloth bed just be a large mattress? And chairs technically being beanbags?

I find the idea of having my dwarves mellow out on a beanbag made out of cloth, but furnished with cave blob leather for a luxorious effect (given that cave blobs are already squishy and circular) to be amusing. Just a bunch of idle workers hanging out in a meeting hall getting lost in the artifact beanbags.

I tried to change the names but I couldn't figure out how. I wanted to call the chairs cushions, the doors curtains, and the caskets body bags.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 08:30:21 am »

Nice.

I tried to change the names but I couldn't figure out how. I wanted to call the chairs cushions, the doors curtains, and the caskets body bags.
You cant, thats hardcoded. You can call them "beanbag chair" or "body bag coffin", but thats about it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: [1] 2 3