Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replacing graphics?  (Read 757 times)

Topodic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Replacing graphics?
« on: June 25, 2016, 08:18:38 am »

Hey all.

Pardon if this isn't the best place to put this, but I am using Masterwork and figured it was relevant enough to post here.  :-\

I'm simply wondering the best way to go about replacing the graphics that Masterwork uses by default, since I noticed most of the tilesets it includes do not include their respective race or animal graphics - I'm not entirely familiar with any sort of modding of the game, and sadly Google turned up just a lot of "drag and drop", which, when attempted with the full Spacefox graphics set, made my dwarves look like some kind of horned humanoid rather than the expected Spacefox dwarves...

I'm entirely willing to do it myself, but I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction, as the simple graphics replacement instructions around the internet were not at all helpful. Thanks!  :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Replacing graphics?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 08:41:35 am »

The GUI only changes tilesets, while you want to change creature sprites. You'd have to find the fitting files in raw/graphics, delete the old entries and copy your new entries over.

I can add this to the launcher, it will do so automatically, but I'd need to know for which tilesets.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Topodic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 08:46:34 am »

Ah, well, makes sense. I'll fiddle around a bit more then - most of my confusion comes from the .txt files (graphics_dwarves.txt, etc. etc.) which I've been unable to find much guidance on, unfortunately.

If I don't have to touch those then that's great, otherwise I guess I'll just mess around with it all until it works.  :P Thanks for the response.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 09:50:06 am »

Yes, you do have to touch them, but maybe you can clarify what guidance you need beyond what Meph already said?

(1) Put the new [OBJECT:GRAPHICS] txt files in the raw/graphics folder
(2) Delete the old existing files that define the same creatures

Don't delete any old ones that define different creatures that you aren't replacing (i.e. your new graphics packs probably won't have orc or succubi tiles)

Topodic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 10:28:07 am »

By guidance I meant what the heck any of the stuff inside the text files meant, since I thought I'd have to fiddle with that.

It seems much more simple when you put it that way - my bad for greatly over-complicating this. Thank you!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 10:31:44 am »

no fiddling.

if you want new dwarf graphics, find graphics_dwarf.txt, delete. Find graphics_dwarf.txt in your other graphics version, copy it over. Do the same with the .pngs or bitmaps.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 12:25:21 pm »

It seems much more simple when you put it that way - my bad for greatly over-complicating this. Thank you!

no problem, good luck!