Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grass  (Read 2615 times)

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grass
« on: June 25, 2016, 12:43:18 pm »

I have an entire map of "regular grass" yet I'm unable to feed the 2 starting horses, its like they're trampling every tile they touch (turning into sand) so they're unable to eat. I will butcher them regardless as I doubt i can save them. I've tried relocating them to different pastures of varying sizes from 10x10 to 20x20 but no to avail. I'm just wondering if their's anything I can do for the future grazers I happen to come across. E.g. putting them in a moss cavern to graze (does this work?).
LP'er

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grass
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 01:11:38 pm »

Vanilla bug (or at least poorly balanced feature).  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Grazer

A partial workaround is available in the Masterwork GUI: you can pump up the grazing coefficient which will make your grazing animals need to eat less often.  Choose a value of 9999 instead of 100 to make your animals need to eat ~1% as much as usual.  You can also use the "regrass" command in DFHack to restore all grass on the map.

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 12:18:53 pm »

Thank you for helping.

I've set mine to 9999, would I need to make a new map/embark for this to take effect? also regrass wasn't doing anything as far as I can tell.
LP'er

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 01:40:59 pm »

Regrass may be deprecated now that all the major launchers allow direct manipulation of the graze coefficient.

As far as I know, graze coefficient does not require a new embark or new world to work, loading a saved fortress with the new settings in effect should do the trick.  (Of course, any grass that had been eaten by save time remains eaten, and your half-starved animals are still half-starved.)  But, if it doesn't work I'm sure a new world would.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 01:42:31 pm by daisha »

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 05:29:31 pm »

When I have run into the graze issue, typically moss seems to feed them more than grass, so if you can get a moss room its easy to feed them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 04:20:40 am »

Moss and Grass are literally the same. Just different name and biome.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 06:51:26 pm »

Well that may be true, sometimes grazers can't eat surface grass while being totally okay with moss.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 08:00:27 pm »

Have you tried channeling the surface of wherever it is outside that you want to pasture things? That's what I do, and I've been able to feed elephants with the set-up. Plus, you can floor over the pasture later when you're shoring up defenses.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 03:56:10 am »

I think the problem with this is that if you have standardized grass on there are several biomes that do not have any grasses.  Tropical savannas and shrublands, all wetlands and deserts are grassless.  Then you end up with "grass" instead of "dense meadow-grass".  The "grass" doesn't actually feed animals.

Meadow-grass should probably get [NON_FREEZING] if standardized grass is on.  Or at least add all the ANY_<BIOME> tags.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 03:57:53 am by arbarbonif »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 06:44:32 am »

I think the problem with this is that if you have standardized grass on there are several biomes that do not have any grasses.  Tropical savannas and shrublands, all wetlands and deserts are grassless.  Then you end up with "grass" instead of "dense meadow-grass".  The "grass" doesn't actually feed animals.

Meadow-grass should probably get [NON_FREEZING] if standardized grass is on.  Or at least add all the ANY_<BIOME> tags.
This is not true. grass = dense meadow-grass. Its literally the same just with a different name. It does feed animals.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 07:37:59 am »

This is not true. grass = dense meadow-grass. Its literally the same just with a different name. It does feed animals.

Looking in the RAWs I don't see anything just named "grass".  I think that is the default no-material name.  When I turn off standardized grass I am getting nothing just named "grass" and the animals are eating fine.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 07:49:30 am »

I stand corrected. The old mod had "grass", in the new version its still "meadow-grass".

You think the biomes get a hardcoded "grass" thats not in the raws, because those tags are missing?
Code: [Select]
[BIOME:GRASSLAND_TROPICAL]
[BIOME:SAVANNA_TROPICAL]
[BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL]
[BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL_FOREST]

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 08:02:37 am »

Yes, that is what I think is happening. 

I'd keep it as the default and add NON_FREEZING if standardized grass is active (and MOUNTAIN and TUNDRA if they aren't in the default).  That should work.