Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Trying to make a Treant creature, what tokens would you reccomend I add?

(1/3) > >>

Urist McColeTheo:
I'm in the raw files and I'm trying to add a "treant" into the game, basically as an early-game challenge when you're attempting to chop trees after you embark.

I'm focusing on it being hostile to all but elves, and if possible, capable of disguising itself among other trees, showing you a message that you've encountered one, preferably once an axedwarf attempts to chop it down.

Generally what tokens should I look at?

smakemupagus:
As far as I know, none of that can be done by editing tokens; to the extent those things are possible it will involve DFHack shenanigans.

Urist McColeTheo:
Oh I see, so I couldn't just add a [TREANT] creature token into the game's raw files and add the tags from there?

smakemupagus:
You could certainly create a treant creature, who is strong and made of wood, and bleeds sap, and lives in the savage forest.  fine.

But there are no tokens for anything like
* hostile but not to elves
* disguises itself among trees (not even sure quite what this means, but there are no multi-tile creatures)
* pops up a message (without being a megabeast etc.)
* ambushes woodcutters

Basically, raw modding lets you access the same game mechanics that vanilla stuff already uses, not create new mechanics.  If you look up "creature tokens" on DF Wiki you will get an exhaustive list of what you can do with raws -- if it's not there, 99.99% chance it's not possible without turning to the dark side.

Urist McColeTheo:

--- Quote from: smakemupagus on June 25, 2016, 11:55:20 pm ---You could certainly create a treant creature, who is strong and made of wood, and bleeds sap, and lives in the savage forest.  fine.

But there are no tokens for anything like
* hostile but not to elves
* disguises itself among trees (not even sure quite what this means, but there are no multi-tile creatures)
* pops up a message (without being a megabeast etc.)
* ambushes woodcutters

Basically, raw modding lets you access the same game mechanics that vanilla stuff already uses, not create new mechanics.  If you look up "creature tokens" on DF Wiki you will get an exhaustive list of what you can do with raws -- if it's not there, 99.99% chance it's not possible without turning to the dark side.

--- End quote ---

I see what you mean now. My phrasing was bad. When I said disguising itself among other trees I meant using a standard tree icon until you triggered it to attack you where it would take the Treant icon. Thank you anyway, that's a shame but I'm sure once dwarf fortress comes out of the alpha it'll have much more modding potential.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version