Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Pit.  (Read 482 times)

haftan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Pit.
« on: December 27, 2006, 06:01:00 pm »

I have a few dream games and one is like DF, (with a different interface and not as detailed ;) and another one that is possible with the DF engine.  It is the original pit from the Silmarillion in which all the evil races are in a pit where they have to fight for survival until they are released.  all races are playable.  Troll, strong but dumb, goblin, smart and fast: can tame animals, or gremlin, weak but can make traps.  Regular evil races with abilities.  Game difficulty is based on what race you pick.  You are a lone soldier who has to survive, everyone starts weak but then kills and eats others to grow strong, hide from the stronger, make lairs, daily life, etc.  It could be in an endless cave or just a pit.  The game would toss in monsters who kill then leave or items of sorts to fight over on whims.  Crafting would be possible but only with things at hand.  Now the difference 'tween this and roguelike is that there is a limited number of named "players" and you can "inhabit" more than one creature.  So if one guy dies you can play another.  You want a strong character.  Then at a certain predestined time, you are released to the world to cause havoc.  You may get things depending on how strong you are.  Like weapons or a squad or an army with which to build a kingship or invade somewhere.  I havent thought about when you are released. anything is possible. ideas?

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

Re: The Pit.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 07:36:00 pm »

I got an idea. Switch from being trolls and goblins and whatnot, to being a demon. Once your dwarf fortress hits the adamantine end game, you start a prequel game in which you are locked inside the pit and have to gain as much strength (probably from killing) and maybe gear (Yeah, Burning 2handed Obsidian Sword with Yubo Bone handle!), and then after a specific amount of time, you are suddenly tossed out of the pit and end up somewhere along the edge where the adamantine has been mined, now you have to control the probably-uber demon as he destroys your fortress!

You build the cities in sim city 4 only to smash em with disasters after all, same should apply for dwarf fortress  :)

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 04:35:00 am »

Oh man, that would be wicked!
ho watches those that watch us???

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »

This sounds like a really really fun idea, if pulled off correctly, but I dunno how it would fit into DF.  It would make a pretty cool standalone roguelike type game though.

haftan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »

If you just want to play a demon you can edit that into DF right now.  I prefer to start off as the weakest player and build myself up to power.  Thats the point for playing IMHO.  It is basically a simulation of playable monsters like kobold quest.  It would be fun being a lizardman drowning passing kobolds or a smart trap setting goblin.  Allows real roleplaying.  And special random game drops of items in the pit would make it interesting. Or this could be the chasm of DF.  "oh look! XXnarrow shortpantsXX just fell from the sky!!" and it could tie in where you do come out of the demon pits in a real DF and cause havoc if you want.
any other ideas?