Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which adv mode professions do you want first?

Judge/Lawyer/Wandering Lawman
- 27 (6.8%)
Tavern Owner
- 17 (4.3%)
Merchant/Shopkeeper
- 23 (5.8%)
Craftsdwarf
- 24 (6%)
Military commander
- 22 (5.5%)
Ruler
- 33 (8.3%)
Soldier
- 25 (6.3%)
Farmer/Fisherdwarf/anything related
- 24 (6%)
Thief
- 20 (5%)
Assassin
- 19 (4.8%)
Forger/Counterfeiter
- 6 (1.5%)
Priest
- 15 (3.8%)
Politician
- 13 (3.3%)
Pirate
- 13 (3.3%)
Highwayman
- 12 (3%)
Doctor/Surgeon
- 26 (6.5%)
Beggar
- 5 (1.3%)
Engineer
- 16 (4%)
Sailor/Navigator
- 11 (2.8%)
Spy
- 19 (4.8%)
Clerk/Official
- 3 (0.8%)
Monk
- 5 (1.3%)
Treasure hunter
- 22 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Which adv mode professions would you like to see first?  (Read 14983 times)

WakeMeUp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which adv mode professions would you like to see first?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 06:33:29 pm »

Yeah, playing semen will be a lot of fun.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 06:35:26 pm »

Try the sperm whale.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2016, 06:14:27 am »

that doesn't seem fun at all. It will be very tedious.
That sounds like a good description of Papers, Please. I guess lots games could be thought of as tedious – any game that involves doing a small set of simple tasks over-and-over. Calculating customs fees doesn't sound very adventurous, but being a traveling tax collector might.

In Papers please you have to check documents for discrepancies and do so fast - that works well as a logic game of quick memorising things. Being a customs officer requires counting goods, checking laws or taxation tables, without any time limit which would be hard to justify - while I do think that some might find it interesting and being very simple to do, we could get this profession eventually.

Being a travelling tax collector would be fun - there are many things that can happen on the way when you are carrying quite a lot of money, local peasants could get very upset so that you'd have to do your best to pacify them, your ruler might get angry if you collect too little, and you might just want to take a piece for yourself. That does sound like fun.
Beat up peasants and take their money... in the name of the crown!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

WakeMeUp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 08:18:14 am »

Try the sperm whale.

What do you mean?

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 05:59:43 pm »

Basically I'd like to be a scholar of some kind. A philosopher, a scientist, a researcher, a mathematician... something like that.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 07:14:41 pm »

Basically I'd like to be a scholar of some kind. A philosopher, a scientist, a researcher, a mathematician... something like that.

How do you suppose that would translate to gameplay? You sit a a table and write about a subject and conduct observations on what to look at? (A definitive guide on 'Tracking your way to knowledge' it is well written because its extremely easy to learn) though actually expanding you knowledge with meaningful secrets such as 'craft this' or 'raise this topic in discussion for more talking options' etc would be good.

Becoming famous for your work and building a library collection of books might be useful in the future when magic is in but besides the obvious cash you can make out of making good quality books (and getting the paper material) will it end up like the sims painting? Where you just have a bunch of hob-goblin adventurers/companions forced to work in your basement churning out work?

Well if all else fails you can write 50 shades of granite.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 10:12:19 pm »

I want to be a messenger/diplomat. Spreading rumors in the name of the king!
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2016, 08:31:36 am »

How do you suppose that would translate to gameplay? You sit a a table and write about a subject and conduct observations on what to look at?

I haven't really thought it through, and I suppose it might well be the kind of gameplay that would bore a lot of people... but, sure, even something like that sounds fun to me already. But if one is, say, a botanist, one might imagine going out into the forests and collecting specimens, then taking them to some kind of study or lab for experimentation or documentation. One might practice one's drawing skill for the latter purpose. I'm sure there are quite a lot of things one could be doing other than just sitting and writing.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 08:57:20 am »

How do you suppose that would translate to gameplay? You sit a a table and write about a subject and conduct observations on what to look at?

I haven't really thought it through, and I suppose it might well be the kind of gameplay that would bore a lot of people... but, sure, even something like that sounds fun to me already. But if one is, say, a botanist, one might imagine going out into the forests and collecting specimens, then taking them to some kind of study or lab for experimentation or documentation. One might practice one's drawing skill for the latter purpose. I'm sure there are quite a lot of things one could be doing other than just sitting and writing.

On the one hand, being a natural philosopher is probably handy combat wise for building up a complex beastiary entry and then executing that in combat to your advantage. (Taking note of the position of the organs to land a precise strike on the chest to stab a troll through the heart) besides just learning a little.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2016, 08:13:22 pm »

1. Judge/lawyer/wandering lawman
2. Thief
3. Assassin

All sorts of cunning jobs sound interesting, whether it's about piecing together a mystery or sneaking around. If detective/investigator was on the list, that would be my ultimate favorite by combining both into one.

And finally, assassinations sound like the most effective way a single person could change the world without being a noble. There's a lot of wrongs you could right if you managed to murder the right people without getting caught.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2016, 08:54:19 pm »

I voted for all the crafting-related professions---I want to be able to do things in adventure mode (Other than getting repeatedly stabbed in the head by goblins, humans, and everything).

Once we get all those, I will absolutely become a scholar, just as soon as learning everything has value. I will learn ALL the knowledge! And once we get magic, I think you can probably guess what I'll do then.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2016, 07:07:19 am »

You can already be a few of these things in the list if you know how to get to that point (highwayman/soldier/commander)

It requires some work to get there though (killing someone and telling the bandit leader-> ask to become liutenant) is one example, and military commanders (like lords/bandit leaders) under a players control can only hire new soldiers. (Become bandit leader through succession by killing him/her when you are a liutenant) right now.

Also you can assassinate and it does have an effect (too easy though)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:31:44 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2016, 01:35:03 pm »

While it may seem dull at first glance, I think I'd like to see a "delivery man" of sorts. For example, say someone runs up to you as you're leaving town and hands you a +copper bracelet+, asking you to get it to his lover in the town over. Small things like that. Or a lord bids you to bring a specially made silver dagger with an image of an ash tree in its hilt to the elvish kingdom nearby in order to sanctify the newly-made peace treaty. There could then be a time mechanic added to it as well, since tensions would rise without some form of physical object to add to their verbal agreement. Sure, not many people would want to play the role of "the mail man", but it would be convenient, given how much the typical adventurer travels.

I think this would be an easy start for implementing professions as well, since it partially builds off mechanics that already exist. The person to whom the object is going to would have to be 1. someone pulled from the requesting person's list of associates, and 2. as far as the requesting person knows is still alive. There would most likely be a limit on what objects could be given (since we wouldn't want them to be giving away the clothes on their back) so for convenience sake let's just say finished goods and weapons. You can already ask for the location of people, so that would tie into it. there ought to be a way to lie if you couldn't find the individual. The benefit for finishing people's deliveries would most likely be something non-tangible, like being known by villagers as "dependable/trustworthy).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:56:31 pm by BlackBronze »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2016, 01:50:16 pm »

It'd be a bad opportunity to roll for a giant tortoise man then (given they have decent stats and a ability to retract into their bodies)

On the flipside, choosing a glass cannon cheetah man might work out better for your courier work.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2016, 08:03:52 pm »

I really want to pick up a pick, and go mining, then return to my site and start laying down the blocks that will eventually be my castle... Making stuff out of wood is too easy.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6