Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which adv mode professions do you want first?

Judge/Lawyer/Wandering Lawman
- 27 (6.8%)
Tavern Owner
- 17 (4.3%)
Merchant/Shopkeeper
- 23 (5.8%)
Craftsdwarf
- 24 (6%)
Military commander
- 22 (5.5%)
Ruler
- 33 (8.3%)
Soldier
- 25 (6.3%)
Farmer/Fisherdwarf/anything related
- 24 (6%)
Thief
- 20 (5%)
Assassin
- 19 (4.8%)
Forger/Counterfeiter
- 6 (1.5%)
Priest
- 15 (3.8%)
Politician
- 13 (3.3%)
Pirate
- 13 (3.3%)
Highwayman
- 12 (3%)
Doctor/Surgeon
- 26 (6.5%)
Beggar
- 5 (1.3%)
Engineer
- 16 (4%)
Sailor/Navigator
- 11 (2.8%)
Spy
- 19 (4.8%)
Clerk/Official
- 3 (0.8%)
Monk
- 5 (1.3%)
Treasure hunter
- 22 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Which adv mode professions would you like to see first?  (Read 14987 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Which adv mode professions would you like to see first?
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2020, 10:19:15 am »

I. Ruler - So you can actually own sites and subjects (You could leave a Steward home taking care of things and just check up on them from time to time)
II. Sailor - We need boats!
III. Lawman - Investigating and punishing criminals!

III seems like it will be a possible playstyle in the new version.

I. You can also already own sites (build a home, create a meadhall, claim it, and leave a companion there and you have your first idea already).
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2020, 10:20:00 am »

I actually really like the idea of being a brewer who makes different ales, and a fisherman. I hope those make it in sooner rather than later.
I am an indie game dev!

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2020, 10:22:27 am »

I. Ruler - So you can actually own sites and subjects (You could leave a Steward home taking care of things and just check up on them from time to time)

I. You can also already own sites (build a home, create a meadhall, claim it, and leave a companion there and you have your first idea already).

Yeah but I was thinking more of actually having peasants under you, gaining an upkeep from their produce and actually being a vassal of the King of the civilization in question. Also being able to deliver justice to your peasants and define crimes and such (basically be a fleshed out ruler).

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2020, 02:27:21 pm »

There are very few games that can work as a fantasy life simulator. I only know two that allow you to live a profession, live a daily life minute by minute and interact with the world around you (trade, do quests etc.) - Cataclysm DDA (but the post-apocalyptic setting seriously hampers your contact with the outside world) and UnRealWorld (low tech makes crafting rather limited).

I really wish that in the future updates we’ll get the ability to truly simulate life in a fantasy world - have a profession, work, get married, make friends, rent a property etc. You can “kinda” do a lot of that now, but just “kinda”.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2020, 03:52:04 pm »

Whats great about df is that it has the whole active world in the background as of 40.00 which means that when he does add these professions properly it will allow the player a much more immersive experience (and already does to an extent) https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_activities

The villains should further improve this.

The other part is that there are no artificial limitations, you can run off and quite literally be whoever and whatever you want. You want to be a bard one playthrough alright, monster slayer awesome, guy who has a cabin in the woods and hunts things , BAM. Its all there, and it doesn't attempt any limits. And has infinite "quests"  This distinguishes it from games such as https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/fantasy-life-3ds/
Which have a storyline per type of "life" but once you are done you are done.

I love how df works even now, i like being a bard, killing big giants, selling my bone crafts etc. In the next version i can even be an investigator, its amazing. It will be even better once everything is added. For example being able to join one of the new merc companies and have a dark brotherhood type situation.

The persistent world also helps.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:53:52 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2020, 09:11:09 am »

I wonder how hard it would be for Toady to add proper crafting to the game. Modders have already added some depth to it and I’ve just discovered you can even do a lot of fortress mode crafting if you’re using dfhack. If modders without access to the source code can do that, Toady surely can too. It’s probably good to keep this topic visible, to let him know how many people want those sort of things.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2020, 10:06:37 pm »

I wonder how hard it would be for Toady to add proper crafting to the game. Modders have already added some depth to it and I’ve just discovered you can even do a lot of fortress mode crafting if you’re using dfhack. If modders without access to the source code can do that, Toady surely can too. It’s probably good to keep this topic visible, to let him know how many people want those sort of things.

Keeping a topic viable to let Toady know people want it is more of a Suggestions Sub thing then a General Discussion Sub thing.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2020, 01:49:47 am »

Is it? I thought that changes to the law are rudimentary, at best, and I don’t think that you can interact with the law in any way yet - either to defend someone or pass judgement.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2020, 02:30:16 am »

Is it? I thought that changes to the law are rudimentary, at best, and I don’t think that you can interact with the law in any way yet - either to defend someone or pass judgement.
You can interrogate people. But there's not much investigation work to be done. It was all put off due to the need to start on Steam work.

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2020, 06:15:20 pm »

Keeping a topic viable to let Toady know people want it is more of a Suggestions Sub thing then a General Discussion Sub thing.

It’s not really a suggestion so it’s probably in the right place.

What’s sad is that this poll is several years old and life-like professions are clearly the most popular and yet there’s no work done on them. Almost 120 people voted in this poll, it should impact development.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2020, 12:58:53 pm »

It’s not really a suggestion so it’s probably in the right place.

What’s sad is that this poll is several years old and life-like professions are clearly the most popular and yet there’s no work done on them. Almost 120 people voted in this poll, it should impact development.

It’s definitely not a suggestion and that’s why I posted it here.

I wanted to create a topic that will help Toady see what we want to see in the adventure mode, and do with it what he will. It looks like he ignored it (particularly with craftdswarf/farmer, doable with mods and dfhack but not in vanilla) and fair enough, it’s his game.

Though, honestly, the disparity between what’s being created for the game and what the community wants is at least quite interesting.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 01:06:24 pm by Ekaton »

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2020, 04:40:48 pm »

My long-time fantasy in DF is retiring to a quiet village after a life of adventuring, opening a tavern and telling stories of my exploits to travellers or perhaps move to a quiet priory and chronicle all my achievements and/or crimes. AFAIK no game lets you do that.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 04:42:27 pm by FAA »

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2020, 09:59:58 pm »

My long-time fantasy in DF is retiring to a quiet village after a life of adventuring, opening a tavern and telling stories of my exploits to travellers or perhaps move to a quiet priory and chronicle all my achievements and/or crimes. AFAIK no game lets you do that.

You can already write a book about events you caused, I think.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2020, 11:56:01 am »

From those who seem, short term "doable" (as pirate would need ships / spy would need more suoerfuge)
1) Weapon / armor smith. (so you can equip yourself)
2) Animal trainer (if you could domesticate for the whole civ)
3) expédition leader (would be a nice transition between the two modes adv/fort)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2020, 07:02:38 pm »

You can already write a book about events you caused, I think.

I wish we had multiple topics per book.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6