Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very slow movement when adventuring around retired fortress  (Read 1676 times)

butterquark

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Decided to try adventure mode for the first time to explore my fort from a different perspective, but it takes a few seconds to move each tile. I am using the taffer tileset and df-0.43.04-win. The framerate when I am not doing anything is 100, but when I repeated press a movement button, it stays at around 9.

Any suggestions?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Very slow movement when adventuring around retired fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 04:00:51 pm »

Framerate when you're not doing anything is irrelevant. Stuff doesn't happen until you move.

It's probably all the conversations your dwarves are having. Lag in busy sites has gotten really bad since they were added.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 08:18:27 pm »

You can minimize it by pressing shift+s then choosing to sprint, the faster your character the less happens between each turn the less lag.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Isaacc7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:02:05 am »

Folks trying the 64 bit version of DF are saying that frame rate has been noticeably improved when in fortresses. It was one of the only things cited as a potential performance booster with 64 bit so I'm glad it actually worked.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 04:11:03 am »

It seems to be due to the insane number of merchants and wagons. I visited a fort that I had played for 10+ years and got hit with what looks like every... caravan... ever. Some of the pack animals were still carrying microcline statues I'd sold years ago.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 06:16:32 am »

It seems to be due to the insane number of merchants and wagons. I visited a fort that I had played for 10+ years and got hit with what looks like every... caravan... ever. Some of the pack animals were still carrying microcline statues I'd sold years ago.
In the attempted fix of this and "hostile" visitors (which didn't particularly work), I think the wagons are now correctly destroyed after retiring.

Amongst the many thousands of new people hanging out around the fort when I unretired after the fix, I found a few merchants (now citizens for whatever reason) who all had the sinister "Felt nothing after seeing the wagon die" thoughts.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 11:46:00 am »

In the attempted fix of this and "hostile" visitors (which didn't particularly work), I think the wagons are now correctly destroyed after retiring.

Amongst the many thousands of new people hanging out around the fort when I unretired after the fix, I found a few merchants (now citizens for whatever reason) who all had the sinister "Felt nothing after seeing the wagon die" thoughts.
No, they're still there for me in 0.43.03. Quite a few in my fort and caverns. I used DFHack "exterminate wagon" and it got about 20 or so. I can't speak for fort mode, but it's not really a problem there.

So, I tried it again. Starts off looking promising. Not a single wagon spotted until the caverns. Then it's two. Still not too bad. I travel a little deeper to my "exotic" tavern and...

Oh, Hell No! The merchants have started invading the Circus. There are goods and bodies on lying on the slade landscape. A green devil is standing on a wagon and constantly spraying extract, but the wagon remains unfazed. Welcome to the Circus of Values, everyone!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:57:59 pm by Bumber »