Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50

Author Topic: Spearbreakers II "The Return of The Mug" - Braveworks [43.05]  (Read 84545 times)

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers II "The Return of The Mug" - Braveworks
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2016, 03:41:34 am »

Oi, can I have a dorf too? Rename any (preferably male and single, but any will do actually) dwarf to Croc, with the custom job of "Detective".

Also, coming up wit a shitty backstory write-up.

Btw,

>4 pages you guys
>flying penguins and mug-shitting

Wew lad, that escalated quickly.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:43:31 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2016, 03:59:37 am »

Would anyone care to explain all the lore and things behind this? It looks rather overwhelming... and fun

So, Something Awful (the forum) decided to do a let's play of DF some years ago. The first one they did was Boatmurdered. That inspired in turn another one, which set itself sorta-within the realms of normalcy, and was just a standard let's play, with a few unique things to it. This was Headshoots. Here, Holistic Detective and Nemo became the champions of the fortress. They were notable because they managed somehow to drastically transcend their skills beyond Legendary. Nemo's highest stat was 86, and Holistic Detective's was 77. This is where Legendary is 15. Holistic also made a name for herself twice: she wore an artifact adamantine chain mail; Trailmachines the Fellowship of Right, and waded across lava to attack her foes, without injury. She also got into the habit of using a backpack as her weapon.

As the fortress fell, I can't quite remember who did it; maybe Vox Nihili? changed Nemo and Holistic into these evil skeleton-like beings. They destroyed most of the remaining dwarves, before Nemo tried to strike Holistic down, injuring her greatly but dying in the process. One dwarf survived Headshoots, by hiding in the Room Outside Space (an area that no one could find on the map without a dwarf already occupying it).

Following this, was Syrupleaf. Vox Nihili created the Spawn after the final event of Headshoots.

Quote from: Vox Nihili
It is said that when the god Nemo fought the fell god-beast Holistic Detective, Nemo struck off both her hands, then slashed her face open along the mouth with his obsidian blade. Holistic Detective then used her now horribly enlarged mouth to tear Nemo in half, then descended to Hell, taking her rightful place at the head of the demons there. Now, her horrific descendants plague the land, conquering fortresses and towns alike, breeding madly like animals and consuming any who oppose them.

Numerous notable things happened in Syrupleaf. Among them:

• A guard once punted a horse out from underneath its frost giant rider.
  • Overseers built a gigantic monument that could extend its middle finger as a "fuck you" to the Spawn.
  • Tehsid was so strong he once grappled and threw a spawn over a hundred metres away.
  • The Spawn of Holistic time and time again sieged the fortress, but were repelled nearly every time until casualties mounted, and the fortress fell.
  • Like in Spearbreakers, there was all sorts of "sci-fi" elements within the story; most were quickly abandoned.
  • By the time Syrupleaf falls, there is nothing now holding back the spawn from overrunning Everroc. The gods hit a reset button and "obsidianise" the world, and all of the dead dwarves ascend to heaven.

Then came Spearbreakers. This was Bay12 coming up with a sequel to Syrupleaf. It was pretty hard to establish where we were, considering that the ending of Syrupleaf was that the world got hit with mass obsidianising, but we retconned the ending and had it simply as "the spawn overrun the western continent, refugees flee and establish new colonies on the eastern continent".

Fischer and Dauros swiftly became our Holistic and Nemo in terms of strength. Mr Frog was responsible for recreating the Spawn's raws, as they were lost some time ago for reasons I can't remember. These spawn were slightly more hardy in some areas, but more vulnerable in others. They lost their weakness to stomach injuries, and gained the ability to infect other dwarves using the (at the time) new interaction system. They also lost the ability to martial trance, which is probably what made the Syrupleaf spawn so very lethal.

Spearbreakers had numerous little story threads intertwining. Some had "mary-sue" type characters, some were quite well written. In any case, there was interdimensional megacorporations descending upon Everroc (out-of-game) to attack and take control. These two were "Ballpoint" and "Parasol". Neither were "good" or "bad", it was very much a case of "grey and grey morality".

Within our game, the newly buffed Spawn were even more of a threat than before; a dwarf who was bitten stood a pretty sizable chance of Spawn Fever, if the skin was broken by the bite. This required special setups and fine toothed combing of the combat logs to ensure no one abruptly transformed. Several dwarves were infected by Spawn Fever throughout this game. The only indication that they were infected was a mild fever that lasted for a long period of time, before rapidly transforming into a new Holistic Spawn.
That said, the Spawn Fever never got much of a start due to the stringent safety procedures enacted by Overseers as well as the fact that the Spawn were just too damn lethal to transmit it effectively. Kind of like ebola in that regard.

• Stova - the overseer's love; transformed without warning and had to be killed by her peers in their squad.
  • Softa - A soldier, infected in combat, sent to a quarantine chamber. She transformed, and was locked in for the rest of the game.
  • Ashsaber - As with Softa, infected in combat and sent to a quarantine chamber.
  • Mad-Dok - Infected in combat, very nearly transformed before he got to the quarantine chamber.

Spearbreakers faced multiple threats throughout its reign; necromancers, evil weather, and the Spawn of Holistic. It finally fell in the end in a rather anticlimactic fashion, and most if not all of the story threads were tied off.

I forgot to mention: Spearbreakers has an extensive TVTropes page as well as its very own Wiki, with illustrations and writeups!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:02:04 am by Reudh »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2016, 04:33:27 am »

Still sad that the one thing about why the necromancers kept showing up that I had written dident get listed somewhere on the TV tropes.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2016, 04:41:12 am »

Looking back, I think a large part of what killed the fort though was the in-game canon and the RPing diverted a lot from each other. It was hard to get a lot of the RP things represented in game. THat, and combined with one hell of an archive panic well ...

(BTW, I want a dwarf too. I know I had one in Spearbreakers, I dunno if it got zombied, spawned, or exploded)
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2016, 05:06:41 am »

Theres a list of the fates of player dwarves in the OP for spearbreakers.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2016, 10:44:51 am »

May i have a turn pls?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2016, 02:05:05 pm »

I have a turn reserved from way back when. RIGHT, SPLINT?
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2016, 02:08:11 pm »

Huh.

I could almost think that he does.

Which is terrifying.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2016, 02:54:30 pm »

>4 pages you guys
>flying penguins and mug-shitting

Wew lad, that escalated quickly.

We have transcended mere shitposting.

We have attained... mugposting.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2016, 03:48:47 pm »

Huh.

I could almost think that he does.

Which is terrifying.

Whelp, I'm already for Spearbreakers III now.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2016, 05:26:49 pm »

Update may or may not come tonight, but will for sure tomorrow night.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2016, 05:51:46 pm »

Could I please be dwarfed as a crossbow user?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2016, 06:09:38 pm »

AHA! IT HAS BEGUN!

I want my smithdorf to learn guns. Teach my smithdorf guns.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

llasram

• Bay Watcher
  • raising the dead since 1103
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2016, 06:32:34 pm »

Well I'd like a dwarf, preferably a miner, but doesn't matter much.
Friendship is magic
Necromancy is magic
∴Necromancy is Friendship.
Don't worry -- it still makes no sense whatsoever.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2016, 12:17:33 am »

Speaking of CARNAGE, what's everyone's stance on oscillating-minecart traps? Too exploit-y?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50