Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Starwright (Now known as Cosmoteer) The wonderful game of spaceships and pew pew  (Read 21065 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It saddens me this wonderful gem of a game gets no love by any source. It has come a long way since I found it by chance a few years ago and I have been playing it ever since. It surprised me there were no posts here about it so here it is: Starwright. The amazing game of building ships and fighting. Ranging from tiny fighters to massive dreadnoughts.

Big dreadnaught I made:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Please give this awesome game some love! Hopefully it gets features by some magazine or website one day!
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*cough* A link to the games website would be nice.

Edit: Link for everyone else. http://starwright.waltdestler.com/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:16:50 pm by choppy »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Very fun little game. Not much to do after a while, though. I'm not entirely sure how it has managed to hold your attention for 'a few years'.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The game is really simple and entertaining. It reminds me of Reassembly

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reminds me of airships but in space, definitlt going to watch it closely.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile

PTW, probably gonna try it later this week.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile

Seems pretty neato.  PTW

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow... people REALLY don't want to letsplay this.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

This is awesome, so addictive, and it's moddable! Just upped armor value and increased the number of spawns/max ships that show up, as well as the bounty you get from them (too much slog working your way out of debt IMO) for instance, but it looks like you can add new guns, shield types, and thrusters. Trying to add some that aren't so bubbly right now, for instance - broader arcs that are closer to the generator - and upping thruster power/increasing armor density to widen the difference between fighters and large bulky ships. Only thing that's missing is some documentation for what's going on in the txt files - I see a full-blown function evaluation in one part the AI, defining ammo resources, etc. Would be nice to know how far this could go.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:46:29 am by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

I've been messing around in this too, I like the overall concept and I love watching the battles, but it would be nice to see a greater variety of weapons and defensive systems.  Ion cannons are awesome.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

Here's the preliminary mod I made in a few minutes for a smaller shield. I couldn't (can't yet?) get the arc to be flatter like I wanted, the graphics look pretty dumb because they're just resized versions of the old one, and it's probably overpowered in its current configuration - you can just keep putting them down side by side and they'll work like very short maneuvering thrusters in terms of the space they take up, but ayy, things work!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46645289/linked/forcefield%20generator.zip
Data\Ships\Parts folder is where the magic is - the parts.txt file is just adding one line,    "&<forcefield_generator/forcefield_generator.txt>/Part," right after the shieldgen.
Yeah, the ion cannons are beast on very small ships, part of why I wanted a smaller shield. My favorite tactic has been to make a bunch with high maneuverability, low-armor, with one cannon each, and burn through enemies from all sides - the AI gets justifiably confused, but the downside of course is that repair costs get insane if there's too many casualties.

Edit: updated the files in the zip to improve graphical glitchiness, and fix the offset problem where the shield was forming slightly to the left. It now also has an awesome segmented look caused by further attempts to modify the arc - I think I'll leave it how it is. Will probably improve graphics later, for now I want to play =3
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:00:37 pm by Eagleon »
Music, Ballpoint

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

Group six ion cannons on a flying wing battleship (around the center of fire), add some small and large cannon (and shields), watch everything burn away to nothing in moments.  I managed to put together a 1300 ton or so version that could reliably gut everything in the default ship folder without taking serious damage, it does have some power issues tho'.

Images within (may be a little bit on the big side):

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:14:01 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found that making non-specialized ships is ineffective. A warhammer 40k-esque cruiser with broadside cannons and forward lasers/ions is (while fun) kind of shitty on its own, at least early on. And by kind of shitty I mean you'll be killing plenty of ships, but the repairs will eat up almost all of your profits in most cases. You'll start fights by flying in and getting lasers off, turn broadside until your shields are down and cannons damaged, show them your other set of cannons, all the time taking massive hull and weapon damage.

Cannons by themselves are really powerful. I've had the most success by making a straight up hammerhead type ship with a massive row of forward cannons. Placing shields between your cannons means you need to stagger the rooms. 1 large with 2 small cannons on either side with a single shell factory worked well for me. even as cannons were destroyed my crew could still keep the rest operational because of door/factory placement. Biggest thing I struggled with was maneuverability. Cannons don't take a lot of energy, most of the crew are carrying shells. A few carrying batteries to thrusters. Placing more thrusters all over (especially on the sides of the forward cannons for swiveling) meant crew running the entire length of the ship, or making more room for reactors. It's a pain in the ass to modify blueprints in certain ways, as far as I know you can't copy/paste specific sections.

I bought a second ship and only equipped it with ion beams (about 7) spaced as closely together as I could while still being able to fit armor between them. Shields protecting the emitters close up, armor jutting out to intercept cannon fire. That setup took a shit ton of reactors and crew, and even with 2-wide corridors and plenty of extra crew I couldn't keep the beams firing full time. But still, that ship and the bomber made short work of almost everything and I never had to pay a lot for repairs. The enemy weapon systems would just get demolished by ion beams while my bomber punched through to key targets.

Remember you don't have to let crew roam the entire ship. You can cut off your engine room and attach two large crew quarters so that they're working engines full-time and not roaming the length of the ship. I think this is the best way to build medium and large ships. But losing specialized crew to unprotected hallways can end badly..

Use shield generators and battery storage rooms. They're worth it. In my experience glass cannon doesn't work. You'll kill the enemies but lose profit to repair costs. Shields save you money allowing for more upgrades.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:31:02 pm by debvon »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Eh. Double stacked shield generators is where it's at. I've a four-ion cannon ship that eats everything (by now it's only enterprises) with 0 to negligible damage. I've added two large and two small cannons later on to see what they're like (never used them before), but they're hardly a necessity.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

Ok, I might have underestimated the utility of a 1x3 shield generator just a tiny bit.
Also, ablative armor? No. Ablative dakka is where it's at!
Music, Ballpoint
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6