Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Starwright (Now known as Cosmoteer) The wonderful game of spaceships and pew pew  (Read 21075 times)

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile

I just had an idea to refine creative mode:

Instead of an very high amount of money, use an single bit to make the amount [insert infinity symbol here] instead and make buying check it and if it's 'true' then it will cost nothing.
:P

EDIT: You might want to 'fix' this the idea behind the strange ship.

Spoiler: snip (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:17:42 pm by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books

Today I mostly messed around with the Creative mode, pitting fleets against each other. Unfortunately, to get them to fire at each other automatically, I need to set them to BountyBrain. But then they'll get obsessed with "killing" some one-tile fragment of a larger ship. I've had to manually delete them. Also, they won't go after anything far-off. In short, I'd like a simple "Kill active enemy ships" AI.

Yeah, the A.I. is pretty dumb right now. :p  I need some way to determine when a piece of ship is "dead", but it's not entirely clear to me what that is. No power? No weapons? No control room? No crew? Some combination of those?

Since bounty mode ships explode when the last reactor goes, I think no power is probably as good as dead. If there's like one laser that's still firing, it's going to run out of power soon enough.

Repairing: I'd like to have some sort of repair system that isn't the instant-repair that's currently in the game. Whether this is crew running around your ship or repair bots flying around outside, I'm not sure. Regardless, ship construction will likely use the same system.

Logically, if crew have to stay inside to repair/build, every part of the ship would have to be crew-accessible. Although, crew doing EVAs for repair would be pretty cool. Perhaps bigger repairs would require a space drydock/repair station, so irreparable damage is less "Arbitrary hard hit-points" and more "Can your crew actually do this themselves?"
Check out my books at O and H Books

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile

Finally got around to checking it out. Even though there's few parts, it's pretty fun and satisfying. I didn't play more than an hour because I'm not the mood for designing spaceships atm (Space Engineers burned me out), but I loved it. Hope you can make it into the final product you want  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I'm really REALLY loving how intuitive everything is.  I could skip all the tutorials and still work out everything.  The buttons make sense and clicking around can get you everywhere.  It's beautiful...

My biggest suggestion would be, in build mode allow q/e to rotate selected items, so you can more fluidly and quickly place things.

Aside from that, more content is pretty much all it needs.  EMP weapons that cause disables, low-intensity weapons that don't destroy weapons, but disable and damage them, more crew importance and interaction, missiles and all the variables thereof...

One thing I'd REALLY love to see is modular weapons.  Instead of 'a laser' you could instead build a capacitor, a focus lens, a wavelength booster, etc.  Weapons could be designed with various rate of fire, damage, range, piercing, etc based on the components used to build the weapon.  And as individual components are damaged, various facets of the weapon fail.  Maybe they hit the capacitors of the laser, and it still shoots but it takes a lot longer.

waltd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Instead of an very high amount of money, use an single bit to make the amount [insert infinity symbol here] instead and make buying check it and if it's 'true' then it will cost nothing.

Yeah, the 1,000,000,000 you get in Creative Mode is really just a hack. At some point I will get rid of money altogether in Creative Mode.

Finally got around to checking it out. Even though there's few parts, it's pretty fun and satisfying. I didn't play more than an hour because I'm not the mood for designing spaceships atm (Space Engineers burned me out), but I loved it. Hope you can make it into the final product you want

Thanks!

I'm really REALLY loving how intuitive everything is.  I could skip all the tutorials and still work out everything.  The buttons make sense and clicking around can get you everywhere.  It's beautiful...

Glad you think so! Because it's taken a *lot* of work to make it as intuitive as it is. You should've seen the earliest versions! :p

My biggest suggestion would be, in build mode allow q/e to rotate selected items, so you can more fluidly and quickly place things.

Current hotkeys are < and > to rotate. And right-click works too. But yeah, maybe q and e would make more sense. Sometime soon I'm planning on adding hotkey customization support.

One thing I'd REALLY love to see is modular weapons.  Instead of 'a laser' you could instead build a capacitor, a focus lens, a wavelength booster, etc.  Weapons could be designed with various rate of fire, damage, range, piercing, etc based on the components used to build the weapon.  And as individual components are damaged, various facets of the weapon fail.  Maybe they hit the capacitors of the laser, and it still shoots but it takes a lot longer.

One thing I'm thinking of doing is adding modules that give boosts to adjacent modules. Such as an energy amplifier for energy weapons, or a high-octane fuel combustor for thrusters. The kinds of upgrades that make ship building more interesting and give players more things to put on the insides of their ships.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile

Have you considered giving crew health? Internet's a little fun right now so I can check your forums or blog but it's a little strange that 300 people can survive being on a little raft of girders in space and survive being shelled as long as the girders underneath them don't collapse.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

I love the idea of having adjacency bonuses on modules, you should definitely try to get that in and running.

While I'm here I had some thoughts about accuracy.  Right now the cannon weapons are 'mostly' accurate, and that is okay, but it feels a bit too loose.  I know that I'd feel a little more comfortable if cannon shots were more 'on target' instead of 'somewhere near the target', missing is fine, consecutively failing to hit the targeted module by half the enemy's width not so much.

I was also wondering if any kind of veterancy is planned, right now ships are very throwaway, I'd like to see my surviving ships become more useful over time not only through upgrades, but also through improved accuracy, maneuvering, and efficiency (yes, that would probably be difficult.)

Still enjoying the game and looking forward to seeing more.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

waltd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you considered giving crew health? Internet's a little fun right now so I can check your forums or blog but it's a little strange that 300 people can survive being on a little raft of girders in space and survive being shelled as long as the girders underneath them don't collapse.

Yes, I'm planning on doing something to make crew more vulnerable. That may not be a classic "health bar" per se, but there will probably be other ways for crew to get killed, such as get sucked into space, dieing in a fire, or just having a chance to get killed when the room they're in blows up.

While I'm here I had some thoughts about accuracy.  Right now the cannon weapons are 'mostly' accurate, and that is okay, but it feels a bit too loose.  I know that I'd feel a little more comfortable if cannon shots were more 'on target' instead of 'somewhere near the target', missing is fine, consecutively failing to hit the targeted module by half the enemy's width not so much.

I'm planning on tuning accuracy once I get more weapons in the game and once the player has more control over when weapons shoot. For example, imaging using high-accuracy lasers and homing missiles to take out their engines, and then unloading a volley of cannons to penetrate to their reactor once you know you can hit.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds a bit like you want to basically design weapons like in Aurora... which sounds kinda cool. I haven't tried this game yet but I might give it a shot soon.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

Well, I won't be using missiles at all, but I understand the sentiment completely.  I am very excited to see where you're taking this tho'.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Adjacency modules would be fun, but if you're going that route I'd also suggest adding conduits.  The same way that ammo can be stored deep inside the ship and moved to the cannon, you should also be able to use certain adjacency modules from a distance, like a targeting computer for instance.  Some modules would have to be touching, such as an autoloader, that's not something that can be far apart.  But for certain things that can be separated, including conduit tiles would be really fun.  Let them act like corridors, but be more expensive, and be able to move adjacency modules' effects through them.

I also realized that the game doesn't use wasd, which would make q/e rotate make more sense.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile

Adjacency modules would be fun, but if you're going that route I'd also suggest adding conduits.  The same way that ammo can be stored deep inside the ship and moved to the cannon, you should also be able to use certain adjacency modules from a distance, like a targeting computer for instance.  Some modules would have to be touching, such as an autoloader, that's not something that can be far apart.  But for certain things that can be separated, including conduit tiles would be really fun.  Let them act like corridors, but be more expensive, and be able to move adjacency modules' effects through them.
I bet think someone will at least try to make a hyper-enchanced ion beam :P
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:51:59 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

tested out and game is !!fun!! - however I'd wish for ship position to be relative to enemy orientation, so that if you drag left of an enemy that has forward facing cannon your ship keeps trying to stay on it's side

also a 0.5 time button wouldn't be bad

also any plan to add boarding action, since you already get crews?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 03:58:41 am by LoSboccacc »

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

tested out and game is !!fun!! - however I'd wish for ship position to be relative to enemy orientation, so that if you drag left of an enemy that has forward facing cannon your ship keeps trying to stay on it's side

This. Please this. I knew there was something I forgot to ask about and out of all the. small things you could implement, I would love this feature. It would give small and maneuverable ships such a big edge against big and bulky ships.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

also blueprint copypaste wouldn't be bad, these thing get quite big

oh and cutting a ship in half is bugged af, it confuses the ability to assign target parts and also the cut half keep shooting even without the command room
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 04:33:11 pm by LoSboccacc »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6