Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GCS Modding Help  (Read 934 times)

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GCS Modding Help
« on: June 26, 2016, 09:01:24 pm »

I'm modding Giant Cave Spiders to be a playable Civ and Adventure Mode race, and I was wondering what some problems with that would be since I've been away from DF for about 300 versions. So far my list of issues to be solved is thus:

Need to write up a Civ Entity for em
Need to give them Language, Speech and the associated organs
Need to give them the [CAN_LEARN] tag
Need to check if being genderless means they can reproduce or not
Need to prevent them from slaughtering every other civ in World-Gen
Need to figure out if you can have subterranean Civs
Need to figure out how to give them Clothing only they can wear
EDIT: Need the CAN_SPEAK tag as well
EDIT: Need some way to GRASP things

Any other issues I've failed to come up with?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:36:38 pm by Vimes »

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
Re: GCS Modding Help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 09:32:13 pm »

They need CAN_SPEAK too, not just CAN_LEARN.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 10:29:08 pm »

Thanks for the mention, I'll add it to the first post!

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 01:11:55 pm »

Apologies for the double-post, but does anyone recall the tags for clothing sizes? I'm trying to figure out how to give Giant Cave Spiders armor/togas now, without having them able to wear elvish clothing and such.

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 01:29:50 pm »

IIRC, there are no tags for clothing sizes - it just checks the creature size of the wearer vs. the creature size of the creator.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 11:40:27 am »

IIRC, there are no tags for clothing sizes - it just checks the creature size of the wearer vs. the creature size of the creator.

You can co-ordinate the sizes by roughly by looking at how big they are. If a GCS stands at the height of a human, applying a human or one size up set of armor will assist you.

A adult troll is about the size of a polar-bear man for instance.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 02:23:59 pm »

I've done a lot of civ-modding, I think I can help with some of your questions.

You don't actually need both [CAN_SPEAK] and [CAN_LEARN], [INTELLIGENT] does both.

Being genderless will prevent reproduction, you need both males and females. You can make the genderless caste far more common then the gendered ones with POP_RATIO tags.

You don't actually need any particular organ to speak, and language doesn't matter except for what the civ names things. The exception is the [UTTERANCES] tag kobolds use. That isn't a real language.

I don't think the GCS's will kill all the other civs if you don't give them armor or weapons.

Simply having clothes specified in their civ entry will produce clothes so large that other races can't wear them, I think. Anyway, people won't wear other culture's clothes unless their cultures merge somehow. For example, a spider bandit leader or necromancer will cause his minions to dress like him even if they aren't spiders.

Letting them grasp things will need minor changes to their body. You'd either want a custom bodypart or to add [GRASP] to one of the ones they already use.

You also need [CANOPENDOORS] or they will be unable to open basic doors.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:25:38 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 07:08:27 am »

Worth noting that if you put grasp on, say, their mouth, they will wear gloves on their mouth (if they produce/acquire appropriately sized gloves)

It's goofy, but unavoidable.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 08:03:33 am »

Worth noting that if you put grasp on, say, their mouth, they will wear gloves on their mouth (if they produce/acquire appropriately sized gloves)

It's goofy, but unavoidable.

Why dont you give them grasp on their palps? (frontmost legs) that seems most accurate, and they wouldn't nessecarily need hands. You can just modify in a palp if you need it.

Pedipalp - Wikipedia

It might also be applicable to have these palps also be geldable in the case of spiders.