Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RAWs for path of scientific development/research  (Read 1106 times)

twryst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RAWs for path of scientific development/research
« on: June 27, 2016, 12:50:04 pm »

Hello!
Are the secrets modifiable/appendable in the RAWs or via Dfhack? I'm new to modding but am falling in love with libraries at my MWDF orc fortress and would like to try to expand the tech tree with some medical discoveries and logic/computation discoveries if possible.

Probably nothing that would actually effect gameplay, just some new strings.

Is this currently possible? Would anybody have some advice where to look?

I am a programmer but am new to DF modding, in case that's relevant.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:16:20 pm by twryst »

twryst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RAWs for path of scientific development/research
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 02:08:16 pm »

Nevermind, it's all hardcoded:

https://github.com/DFHack/df-structures/commit/db79fe8058839d1582cc1bfdd73a51ec9bbde20c

Here I was picturing a civilization-like stupidly-detailed tech tree extending up to the modern era. Bummer.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 03:59:36 pm »

This is all very nice regardless. Perhaps this thread would be better purposed as a suggestion thread with each section broadly detailed for some detail. Same goes for having all these nice functions to write about (more topics other than reading how the same farmer settled in a province) that im sure toady wouldn't object to, in fleshing out the range of topics

To pull out a few of particular interest where they seem like the sort of thing to contain secrets/acquired abilities

> naturalist_observation_embriological_development = Ability as per observation to determine when the creature will approximately will birth or lay eggs (if we were to separate it from sexual reproduction studies to determine whether it is pregnant in the first place)

> mathematics_geometry_volume_of_pyramid = Bonus to the intake of architectural experience and threshold of quality on architectural designs

Etc.

All very good. I do honestly wish you did have the tools to just slide these into the game as you envisioned but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 04:29:14 pm »

You can easily do that.

dfhack script called building/subtype-change, I use it quite a lot.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 04:43:23 am »

There are ways of adding research systems and tech trees into the game using reactions, but not using the library system or anything.

The old Masterwork used a system where you could run a research function that had a small chance of creating a blueprint tool that was used in the construction of a new building.  You could also copy blueprints for free and use them to research higher subjects.  It's not a perfect system, but it does let you unlock new buildings over time.

I made a suggestion topic for this right after the hardcoded research system came out, but it was quickly buried.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 08:37:54 am »

There are ways of adding research systems and tech trees into the game using reactions, but not using the library system or anything.

The old Masterwork used a system where you could run a research function that had a small chance of creating a blueprint tool that was used in the construction of a new building.  You could also copy blueprints for free and use them to research higher subjects.  It's not a perfect system, but it does let you unlock new buildings over time.

I made a suggestion topic for this right after the hardcoded research system came out, but it was quickly buried.
Yeah, it's a system from old Genesis mod which I now use in the Fall. From the dev log it looks like Toady plans to introduce magical research, but I don't see anything about tech tree. Maybe because "tech tree" is quite unnatural, common scientific research is much more complex and Toady may follow that route eventially ( 5? 10 years?).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 01:22:40 am »

The magic system having item creation and magic research means that it's not unlikely at all that it will be possible to get proper research.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 02:19:53 am »

actually, a tech-tree COULD be done, using interactions from a "scientist" type Secret. There would be different item trans-mog spells, so a scientist could have an ability that lets him turn Copper into Copper Wires with the "discovery of electricity" style secret. And if someone made a robot technology to be discovered, it could require Copper Wires as one of the items for construction. A Workshop would be best - a Laboratory where you basically make any dwarf that gives the proper regents for study gain a syndrome related to the tech, but to do this you must first have a specific amount of parts. You need 5 copper for wiring and electricity, and then can make Copper Wire as a scientist 2 copper. For 5 copper WIRES, you can study a more ADAVNCED electric thing - like a coilgun or force-field. But to build one, you also need a hard light drive, which requires a photonic emitter, which requires photon research. Which proly has OTHER science pre=requisites under physics. Technically, with the right resources, you could have power armor in a couple of years, but a tech tree you would have. If I knew how to do custom workshops, i would do it myself - syndromes and secrets are my specialty, i love magic modding, and the only way to ENSURE that Copper Wire cannot be built at a workshop before it is discovered it to make it rely on something like particular scientists who have the knowledge. But like a Necromancer, a scientist could easily educate a whole fortress via apprenticeship/books. So yeah, in that way, you could make it so that dwarves start with medieval tech, but can go all the way up to creating adamantium automatons, force-field armor, and coilguns/railguns/hard light or plasma rifles. And other stuff too, like a replicator that takes stone and converts it into beer or meat, which requires atomic technology, copper wires, and nanotech.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 02:22:19 am »

Alternatively, make tiered science workshops that require specific parts(like a nanotech workshop that requires nanobots) in order to build, so you don't have to rely on your fortresses resident mad scientist everytime you wanna make a healing nanobot injector.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.