Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Ultimate Conquerers - A Science Thread (SUCCESS!)  (Read 5383 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
The Ultimate Conquerers - A Science Thread (SUCCESS!)
« on: June 27, 2016, 02:20:13 pm »

Quote from: TheFlame52
What part(s) of a general's personality dictate(s) their actions/effectiveness?

I haven't spent much time with this so it's very placeholdery.  The civ leader's personality comes up more than the general's, since the civ leader decides where to attack and when.  For that, it compares the army strengths, ethical mismatches, past disputes and other historical events to confidence, ambition, propensity to anger, excitement-seeking and recklessness in a few different passes.  A general's actual effectiveness in a given battle is just a function of the tactics, leadership and organization skills they pick up in world gen as they go.  Since there isn't much data in world gen in terms of position/strategy/tactics/logistics/etc. etc. etc., there's not much to work with so I only went that far.

This is the answer to a question I asked in Future of the Fortress a few months ago. Now the question is, using clever modding, can we make a civilization of ultimate conquerors?

I'm going to start with humans, since I did another study and humans almost always come out on top. I'll make them more prone to all those things mentioned previously. Then I'll gen a few worlds and see how things turn out!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:12:41 pm by TheFlame52 »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Conquerers - A Science Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 04:07:16 pm »

In the human creature I put:

[PERSONALITY:CONFIDENCE:50:75:100]
   [PERSONALITY:AMBITION:50:75:100]
   [PERSONALITY:ANGER_PROPENSITY:50:75:100]
   [PERSONALITY:EXCITEMENT_SEEKING:50:75:100]
   [PERSONALITY:THOUGHTLESSNESS:50:75:100]
   [PERSONALITY:VENGEFUL:50:75:100]

Vengefulness isn't in that list but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

So then I generated a world and exported legends. The humans are plenty aggressive, but they aren't conquerors. They prefer to pillage and leave. So now I'm going to make them like all sites.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 05:29:18 pm »

Well, that sort of did it. They still prefer to pillage, but now they're even more hostile than before. They even fight other humans, something I've never seen before. Anyone know how to make armies conquer instead of pillage?

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 06:14:00 pm »

PTW
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 10:46:05 pm »

This is pretty awesome. Maybe this is the gateway to making some exciting history for once.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 09:17:24 am »

Well, that sort of did it. They still prefer to pillage, but now they're even more hostile than before. They even fight other humans, something I've never seen before. Anyone know how to make armies conquer instead of pillage?
Not sure, but changing their ethics might help, and adding natural_skills might help... or not. I really have no idea.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 03:47:36 pm »

The problem now is not getting them to attack or win, it's getting them to conquer instead of pillage.

Just to be sure, I jacked the values on those personality traits up to 100 and made them learn the general's skills five times faster.

EDIT: I also set their peace value to -50 and their martial prowess value to 50.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:51:51 pm by TheFlame52 »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 05:09:42 pm »

Oh my god. This is the most violent world ever generated. Nearly three-quarters of all sentient beings are humans.

2/3 dwarven nations are dead. One because they were gang-raped by four elven nations at once, the other because they were fucked by goblins. The remaining nation is partly gone because they were randomly conquered by goblins during the goblins' war against the elves. That's right, the goblins decided to attack a whole unrelated nation. They were being led by a human at the time.

4/5 elven nations are dead or dying. Three got fucked by humans, the fourth never expanded beyond two forest retreats. The last still got fucked by humans, just not hard enough to do them in.

3/4 goblin nations are dead or dying. Two got fucked by humans, the third got fucked by megabeasts and then humans. The last nation was smart enough to keep their demon master as their general, and also never got into any wars.

Meanwhile, the five human nations are booming.
 - The Reclusive Realms have conquered two nations of goblins and elves. They have almost as many conquered sites as constructed ones. They have a wombat monster prisoner. Also, in 193 when the law-giver died without an heir, there was a fucking nation-wide civil war. Hundreds died. Holy hell. They also have a goddess of peace who is very sad.
 - The Realms of Living have conquered a nation of elves. They've had three nation-wide civil wars, for reasons I can't quite fathom.
 - The Persuasive Confederations have conquered a nation of goblins. They have the largest population, at 18000. They have a skink fiend prisoner who is also a lord. At one point they had a dwarven vampire law-giver who stepped down for no apparent reason. He still lives in the capital and everything.
 - The Dipped Realms have conquered a nation of elves. Not really much about these guys. They're the smallest human nation at 5000.
 - The Ardent Realm hasn't conquered anyone because they're faggots. They were prepping a goblin nation for conquest, but the Reclusive Realms swept in before they could. They have had a goblin law-giver for 200 years.

Meanwhile, all these human nations are fighting each other, themselves, and everyone around them. They even fight dwarves, which I've never seen before. NOW TIME TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DO THIS TO ALL FOUR RACES

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 05:54:51 pm »

- The Ardent Realm hasn't conquered anyone because they're faggots.

Hm.

Anyway, PTW.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Conquerers - A Science Thread (SUCCESS!)
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 08:52:37 am »

So basically I made those personality and skill modifications to all four races. I also made them like all sites, hate peace, and adore warriors. I'm now generating a 500-year world. Details this afternoon.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 10:40:32 am »

That's cute.

Im quite happy with sharing with you my own personal forumula for creating a all conquering force

First ingredient
> Goblins, good warrior race that will see their primary ambitions of ruling the world within their lifetimes come to fruition (if the demon lord is overthrown or dies)
> Change ethics on slavery to mandatory

Second ingredient
> Modify the raws extensively to make them playable in fortress mode, this includes fixing tags surrounding beak dog pets as to enable trade and some tools, anything extra like pottery you want to add is your own decision. I recommend holding them as they are now at iron as the most advanced metal they have access to.

> Modify key fortress mode nobles into the game with any mix that you desire as long as it does not involve a land-owner/mayor (Head warband practitioner - chief medical dwarf etc etc.) I personally for gobbo choice, like to roll champions and executioners together by modifying the weapon skill to use a axe and hybridizing the responsibilities (with no adverse effect in the game).

> Leave all but the diplomat & outpost envoy nobles for wider non-site nobles. These two are important for site interactions (meeting with expedition leaders who by legends often arise by threats of violence fittingly when they splinter off the tower to rule over dark pits) and wider diplomacy interactions between your leader (procedurally generated demon monarch, dont replace monarch important note, and the procedural general which organises sieges where the demon leader dictates, naturally made more powerful by site individual military presence) and the rest of the civilizations.

Final and key ingredients for this tasty dish of world domination

> Modify in a conquered site noble (using the unused dwarf equivalent as basis, so that they can actually hold onto sites for themselves rather than have to comply with raising them without taking the entire civilization first as a puppet)

> Modify all your localised militia groups & commanders to 'law enforcement' so that they enact their slavery routines and round up tresspassers when site fighting resolutions and patrols are finished. Incarcerated people will be added to the prisons and soon re-emerge as citizens to work the lands.

Run for 100 years or more

?????

Profit, they effectively rule the world without burning down most of it. Humans elves and dwarves are rolled underneath the goblins thumb and a new age of peace, prosperity and utmost cruelty is complete.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 10:52:12 am »

FantasticDorf, would you mind posting the raws of your conquered site noble?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 11:05:59 am »

FantasticDorf, would you mind posting the raws of your conquered site noble?

Sure. This is it's base, and more or less, without bells and whistles for preferred goblin traits on how they should look, this is the same between both dwarves and goblins on what i use.

Quote from: base dwarf conquered site noble
[POSITION:FORCED_ADMINISTRATOR]
      [NAME:administrator:administrators]
      [CONQUERED_SITE]
      [FLASHES]
      [BRAG_ON_KILL]
      [CHAT_WORTHY]
      [DO_NOT_CULL]
      [KILL_QUEST]
      [EXPORTED_IN_LEGENDS]
      [DETERMINES_COIN_DESIGN]
      [MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
      [SLEEP_PRETENSION]
      [PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
      [ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
      [DUTY_BOUND]
      [COLOR:5:0:0]
      [MANDATE_MAX:2]
      [DEMAND_MAX:3]
      [PRECEDENCE:65]
      [NUMBER:1]
      [RESPONSIBILITY:LAW_MAKING]
      [RESPONSIBILITY:RECEIVE_DIPLOMATS]
      [RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_TOPIC_AGREEMENTS]
      [RESPONSIBILITY:MEET_WORKERS]

but that can be easily modified (because dwarves never offensively fight, they never end up using this noble) for alternative names and responsibilities. Again i mention diplomats as being important.

[POSITION:ENFORCED_GOVERNOR]
[NAME:enforced governor:enforced governors]

EDIT - I admit i've never really delved much deeper than that and its run smoothly enough to not be touched. I might even spare having a go at trying to integrate more conquered site nobles. (I wonder how a militia/law enforcement would fare in enforcing slavery?)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 11:15:00 am by FantasticDorf »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 11:13:53 am »

Great, thanks!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 11:21:33 am »

EDIT - I admit i've never really delved much deeper than that and its run smoothly enough to not be touched. I might even spare having a go at trying to integrate more conquered site nobles. (I wonder how a militia/law enforcement would fare in enforcing slavery?)

I was a little surprised that the conquered site administrator doesn't also have responsibility:executions and :law_enforcement, have you ever experimented with that?

Still, just having the administrator at all is probably the main thing, so that advice/reminder is much appreciated :D
Pages: [1] 2