Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - Nothing Remains  (Read 9641 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Nothing Remains
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 06:05:54 am »

Update?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 06:43:22 am »

Hey Would love another dorfing!

Name: Stronghammer (big surprise)
Species: Dwarf
Profession: Industrialist
Personality: Fairly similar to last time with trying to build a strong community with a strong industry. However this time he is not as much of a push over. He sees everyone as a part of the community, but also a part of the industrial machine. Everyone must be assigned their place and pull their weight. Especially now in this dark and terrible times. He is a very "inclusive" dwarf as he believes that everyone has their strengths. However he does see dwarves at the top of that list (unless some one really proves themselves). He is also big on proof. No one and nothing (lol) is taken at its word. Everyone and everything must prove its worth.
Goals: 1) Get safe, 2) Get industry, 3) become glorious leader.

Notes: Basically similar to last time however more rigid and less gentle. He is not cruel or evil just harsh if you know what i mean.

Great to see this up and going again! I look forward to another wonderful saga!

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2016, 07:22:32 am »

PTW

Foton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 07:48:56 am »

Name: Foton
Species: preferably dwarf, though humans, elves and goblins are also acceptable.
Profession: any of those: miner, mason, metalworker, mechanic.
Personality: he thinks that corrupt and selfish upper class will fail to adequately defend against Nothings, so he thinks that workers should take power. He deems every sentient worthy of acceptance and supports universal military service. He is ready to do anything that would help battle Nothings, even if it means collaborating with nobles, however, he will do it reluctantly.
His goals:
1) Create strong industry
2) Create workers' councils.
3) Create workers' militia.
4) Take power.
5) Strike back at Nothings.
Actually, drinking magma is completely harmless.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 12:18:53 pm »

Name: Foton
Species: preferably dwarf, though humans, elves and goblins are also acceptable.
Profession: any of those: miner, mason, metalworker, mechanic.
Personality: he thinks that corrupt and selfish upper class will fail to adequately defend against Nothings, so he thinks that workers should take power. He deems every sentient worthy of acceptance and supports universal military service. He is ready to do anything that would help battle Nothings, even if it means collaborating with nobles, however, he will do it reluctantly.
His goals:
1) Create strong industry
2) Create workers' councils.
3) Create workers' militia.
4) Take power.
5) Strike back at Nothings.
Hoi! Me and freidrick Hallhorn are the rock - bottom last nobility left from an entire ruined kingdom, jerk.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:22:40 pm by Imic »
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Foton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 02:11:21 pm »

Hoi! Me and freidrick Hallhorn are the rock - bottom last nobility left from an entire ruined kingdom, jerk.
Nobility takes a lot of time and resources to meet their demands, so they are actually detrimental to war effort.
Actually, drinking magma is completely harmless.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 02:45:14 pm »

Nobility takes a lot of time and resources to meet their demands, so they are actually detrimental to war effort.
I've been fighting goblins from the disloyalty of chains since I was old enough to hold a sword. If you want corrupt, slow rulers, look at mad lord snapcase, who won the mayoral election 5 times through tampering with the results, and refused to leave the town because it ment going close to the "peasants". Actually, I think I understand why you distrust hate nobility now. Wow.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 10:44:27 am »

Slightly delayed update due to meetings over the weekend. MoonyTheHuman, Ardent Debater, and Stronghammer (nice to see you again!), you're all in. Foton, you're in with the next wave of oppressed proletariat migrants.

Spring 210

The next few weeks went by with a palpable tension in the group. Half the group were not used to living underground, in the dark and cold confines of the stone all around, and even the slight light that filtered through the rock wall blocking them off did little to lighten the mood. Still, work had begun the moment everyone had managed to catch their breath after their narrow escape. Over the weeks, Nullius, Elagn, along with help from Webb had begun to carve out more rooms. A room to the east for various workshops and makeshift storage, a corridor to the north to be carved out into small invidivual rooms for everyone, while to the south the stone gave way to silty loam that would make for some good farms. While the trio worked on mining, Frederick, Ibruk, and Imic took charge of the rest of the tasks, hauling, sorting, and crafting. Frederick and Imic began to carve the macadamia wood logs Webb had felled into beds and some bins, barrels, and wheelbarrows. Ibruk meanwhile had begun to carve some of the claystone and schist from the excavations into stone blocks that would be much more useful for building.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As the farms were finished, Webb and Ibruk took charge, taking one half for plump helmet, a quarter for pig tail, and another quarter for cave wheat, the three staples of drink and food. Their supplies were limited, and gathering or hunting any from outside would not be easy with the risk of the Nothing attacking at any moment.

By the time summer came around, the bare basics were ready. The farms were planted with whatever plump helmet spawn, pig tail and cave wheat seeds they had brought with them. Each now had a room, small and bare, but at least giving some privacy and a bed to rest in.

However, as summer rolled in, it became clear that they would have to venture out and secure some of the surface. They had been feeding the water buffalo with some of their supplies, but such an arrangment wasn't ideal, giving them an extra pair of mouths to feed on top of themselves, and it became clear they would need space to graze. So with Frederick and Imic standing by armed and ready, they began to tear the walls they'd blocked off their new community with and head back out to the surface.

25th Hematite 210 - Morning

As Nullius and Webb tore the walls down, the soft heat and brightness of natural sunlight burst through, elicting an almost irritated groan from the dwarf and a soft, elated sigh from the two fallen nobles and the spider-man after so many months underground.

Frederick and Imic took point, cautiously moving out. There seemed to be nothing though, just a soft birdsong and the sound of a breeze passing through the mire. Frederick turned round, scanning across the steep slopes of the hill. Yet there was nothing.

He bit his lower lip, still clutching his sword tight as he turned to the rest of the community waiting in the tunnel. "They're...gone. I think we have a chance! Get everyone moving!"

The rest came through, hauling blocks of stone. The plan was simple enough: building a small wall around the entrance that would give them at least some free space on the surface. If they had time with the sudden lull in Nothing, a moat and drawbridge around the wall would enable an easy way to enter and leave.

The next few days passed with a tense, feverish work schedule. Every night the wall at the tunnel was rebuilt to block the community off, then torn down the next morning to let them out to work on building the walls. The Nothing were nowhere in sight. Perhaps they had moved on to ravage another community, perhaps they were biding their time. Whatever their movements were dictated by, no one had yet worked it out. Still, it gave them some respite and time to built, and by the 2nd of Malachite the wall was built and work was progressing on the moat and bridge that would enable an easier way to enter and leave than makeshift walls.

4th Malachite 210 - Afternoon

It had been a long and treacherous journey. Urid had started alone, and now they were three: Stronghammer, a rather firm dwarf who seemed to believe in the might of industry above all else in overcoming the current crisis, and Moony, a rather temper-prone human who shared some facets with Stronghammer in his fascination with mechanics and machinery to achieve such. Neither seemed to be true believers in Armok in the way Urid was, but at least they weren't actively fighting against Him. A few others had come and gone on their makeshift expedition, smoe had died when the Nothing had caught them, others had simply left to strike out on their own.

Regardless here they were. He'd been told this was the place the supposed 'Prophet' Ibruk had taken his own expedition, to form some form of pious community to survive the scourge of the Nothing. It was the best place to begin his work of teaching the true word of Armok, and of overcoming the test He had sent.

They had been lucky the past few days, with most of the Nothing seeming to have been scattered and not in the region, giving them some respite, and now the end of their journey seemed at hand.

"There," Stronghammer's voice interrupted his musing, the dwarf pointing down at the base of the slopes. "Those walls, I can see people moving around, looks like they're shifting logs."

It was true, down by the base of the almost cliff-like hill was a small wall surrounded by a moat and figures bustling in and out, apparently bringing in logs from a felled macadamia tree.

"Then get moving, here they come!" Moony's voice rose up, gruff as always, the man pointing in the other direction where, like a black swarm on the hills, they could see the Nothing approaching.

The trio began to run, stumbling their way down the slopes with the threat of the horde closing in behind them. Shouting, waving their arms, they managed to get the attention of those at the walls, two rather gruff looking unarmoured and but equipped soldiers looking first to them, then to the Nothing spilling down the hills behind them.

Orders were shouted, the rest of those milling about grabbing the last of the sawn logs and sprinting over the drawbridge to the safety of the walls. The two swordsmen held out, waiting for the trio of refugees to make their way in, stumbling over the bridge with the men behind them, the bridge raising up with the groan and creaks of gears, sealing the Nothing out with the boom of stone on stone.

[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Elagn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 12:46:16 pm »

Journal Entry:

Well, we have a new home, and are still all alive, and will possibly stay that way. I don't normally mind the other races, but they are getting annoying, whining about the confined spaces, and leaving us few dwarves to do the labor of mining. I don't dispute that mining is necessary, it is just annoying I am stuck doing it.

Ah well, my other skills will be used latter. I guess we really don't have much use for mechanics yet, first we need a strong defensive location to build from, and research is second to basic survival. Still, we will get through this and do glorious science.
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" Einstein

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so" Galileo

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 01:42:28 pm »

Webb Silkyhands' prayer :
Beloved Mother, you blessed me with life, now hear me !

I... I am not so cheerful anymore. Things have gone quite bad for me these last days...
Let me explain.

To begin with, the "Prophet" didn't allow me to lurk in the wilderness at all. He said it was too dangerous, and I had to work indoors. I wanted to go outside and hunt some preys, hopefully finding some good spots for my webs, but he didn't let me wander ! I don't understand his decisions...
I often hear food is short and all... And that we have to set up farms to eat plants... Well ! I remind you, "Prophet", that I don't eat these filthy plants, my body needs meat, and the meat is outside ! Plants are for the giants, not for Spiders !

One day, the giants closed the gates. Closing us in completely. Now we are trapped inside ! And flies can't get in my webs no more, starving me even more !
I asked them :
"Why do you trap us inside ? We're gonna starve !!"
They said :
"It's nothing !"

Nothing ?!! You'll kill us all, you Sons of rodents !!! >:(

Ahem ! I must gather myself, mother. You taughed me to be friendly, and friendly I will be !
But I'm worried, and most of all, I'm hungry ! Our meat supplies are running so low...

Oh, right, also, new brothers came this week, but I must confess I'm not so pleased to see them... I saw one of them eating a full steak of meat the other day...

Long live Spiderkind !
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 01:47:24 pm by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 06:01:57 am »

No updates ? :(
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2016, 11:30:11 pm »

Hang tight, the original was fairly slow too.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 02:38:22 pm »

Yup, I'm rather slow with updates, been finishing off degree stuff then moving and with my luck, my internet was down and the company likes to drag its feet in rural areas. Should go quicker now, aiming to update once a week bare minimum, to avoid the slow death spirals the original kept falling into. Mostly short updates for now as the community settles in.

Summer 210

Following the rescue of the three refugees and the building of the small compound, life in Nomekast had settled down into what seemed a rather uneasy yet peaceful quietness. Breweries, farmer's workshops and a kitchen had been set up by the farms, already working to process more alcohol and to work pigtail into threads. An area by the farms had also been carved out, serving as a food stockpile, and with all the wood harvested during the lull in Nothing, they had ample barrels to fill, while up by the bedrooms, another few had been dug to accommodate Stronghammer, Moony, and Urid. Out in the compound, some basic weapon racks and armor stands had been set up by the side. Frederick and Imic, now joined by Urid, had naturally slotted into the role of the community's militia and the three took to training there, sparring and doing drills to keep their readiness up. No one could fool themselves into thinking that they were safe from the Nothing with just their small moat and walls, soldiers were needed. Webb Silkyhands had also taken to the compound, despondent over being trapped in that small area, yet weaving some webs in the corner that he enjoyed resting in nonetheless, fresh air, wind, and sun preferable to the dark dankness of the underground.

Elagn and Moony, aided by Nullius, had begun to expand below the excavated areas, forming a central stairway in hopes of carve out an underground channel to the river. The plan was twofold: to fill the moat around the small compound at the entrance, and to create a small reservoir of water to connect to a well and give the community access to fresh water.

2nd Limestone 210 - Afternoon

Imic had come the moment he’d heard the crackle of flames rising up from the stairway. On a – slightly bitter – second reflection, he should have known there was little to fear. Wood was not a usual dwarven building material, a fire wouldn’t propagate unlike in human towns. But it had been enough for him to come rushing, to find a structure of stones piled up like a pyre in one corner of the lower level. At its base flames rose up, bright and fierce, radiating heat out into the cool, dank underground. With grunts and a low muttering of what he assumed was perhaps some dwarven work song, he could see Stronghammer piling logs of wood onto the flames.

“What in the gods’ names are you doing, burning our wood?”

Stronghammer turned to him, the dwarf glancing up to the man, shrugging. “Industry.”

“Industry?”

"Industry," Stronghammer repeated simply, running a hand through his beard. "Wood burning. How else will we forge and smelt with no coal or magma? Aye, I hear you were a great noble in your kingdom, but it's industry that keeps even nobility going. How much longer do you think that shield will last? How much longer will you last without armour? And tools, we have only two picks, one axe. The gods help those that help themselves, and our means to do so is though hard work. Industry prevails, industry shall be our salvation."

"Well then, you may be interested here." A voice rose up from the other side of the excavated chamber, Nullius emerging from the tunnel that led to the planned water supply. In his hands he held a large fragment of jagged rock that he tossed to Stronghammer. "Native gold. Only a small vein, but it's good sign for it to be this high in the earth."

Stronghammer, turned the rock in his hands, the gold nuggets embedded within glimmering from the flames of the wood furnace. "Aye, beautiful. Useless for armour or arms, but maybe if there are traders-"

"Traders? Fighting through the Nothing to come to a tiny grotty community in a swamp on the edge of goblin lands? Hmph."

"Don't underestimate the allure of profits," was all Stronghammer replied to that, with a murmured agreement from Nullius. More so than the great merchant houses of the human nations, dwarven society prized both labour and the fruits of it. Wealth was the driver for much.

16th Limestone 210

On the 16th, the traders came. The Nothing seemed to have deserted the mire for the moment, and so the communtiy had been taking advantage of the lull to do some more woodcutting and plant harvesting. Webb had seen them first, the spider-man having decided to take the most advantage he could of having free reign of the mire to enjoy the fresh air and the flies once more.

A makeshift depot was quickly made, and Stronghammer and Urid had approached to convince the caravan to come. The traders lead their baggage-laden animals in, and Ibruk - the closest thing to a leader they had - took the brokering with them. They had to scrounge up whatever they could find, some pigtail cloth, some extra clothing, a few gems, but in the end Ibruk was able to secure three barrels of assorted drinks, some varied meats, and three picks to help with the excavations.

The rest of the community naturally took to talking with the merchants, seeking information about the world since they'd been cooped up in the mire for the past half year. The news was only grim. More destroyed settlements overrun by the Nothing. The goblins and other opportunistic states had gone to war to take advantage of weakened rivals. Refugees flooded everywhere, and with them, bandits and more. People took to odd cults, extreme behaviours and worse. And the Nothing, the Nothing just seemed to grow in numbers.

In the end, the traders didn't stay long. Remaining too long in one place was increasingly a gamble with your life, these days. The Nothing couldn't be far behind. And so packing up their affairs, they moved on, and Nomekast returned to its seclusion, its projects, and the humdrum of life with the Nothing never too far away to destroy them.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 06:42:51 pm »

The Shaper's memory:

Praise be, metal so near the soil, this speaks well for Nomekasts future.  A dwarf, Stronghammer, arrived some weeks ago.  He holds close to his heart a passion for industry, I hope he holds the same regard for craftsmen, after all, The Shaping is about the soul as much as the physical world.  We have constructed basic defenses against the nothing, but they will not be adequate for long, how I long for the depths and the blood of the world, to hear hammer ring upon anvil, shaping metal into weapons and tools.

Ibruk has secured additional tools, as well as food and drink, our situation is still precarious, but with dedication, we can overcome the nothing and create the Nomekast of my vision.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2016, 09:48:37 am »

So glad to see that Nomekast is back! Sign me up for a dwarf, good sir Aequor!

Name: 'Dammaz'
Race: Dwarf
Profession: Axedwarf / Metalsmith (Furnace Operator Labor)
History: Dohon was a young Metalsmith who spent most of his days melting down raw ores into bars. It was not the most glorious of jobs, but it provided needed income and allowed him a modest existence. After work though, he dreamt of being a glorious axe master, capable of laying waste to armies of foes. So, he scribbled down stories on parchment and paper. To the amusement of his pregnant wife, who would tease him about it.

The coming of the Nothings allowed him to act on his dreams of martial prowess, but it came at a terrible cost ... His wife, unborn child and the rest of his family was lost when his fortress fell to the unknown menace. Dohon was there at the end, being part of a hastily drafted miltia. But he was unable to save them. He fled with a few other survivors.

Personality:

- Introverted
- Brooding
- Vengeful
- Patient Teacher
- Helpful

A rather withdrawn dwarf, he was nonetheless friendly when spoken to and always willing to help out his fellow dwarf. After the fall of his home, he has become tense and brooding, blaming himself for the death of his loved ones. He now craves vengeance and wishes nothing more but to slay the Nothing and spare others from the awful fate that befell him. This makes him reckless, even suicidal when in combat. But he will do his best to protect his compatriots and will gladly lay down his life for them. The only time the old Dohon resurfaces is when he explains some matter to other dwarfs, his eagerness to help overcoming his grief and anger.

Note: Dammaz was originally named Dohon (Dammaz means Vengeance in Dohon's dialect). But he decided to adopt a new name in order to atone for his sins. He is reluctant to share his original name and the story behind his namechange. He will not easily share his story, preferring to say that he 'lost everything to the Nothing and they will pay'. Only a true friend, a bond forged in battle or hardship, will allow him to 'open up'.

Note 2: Dammaz wishes for nothing more than to swing an axe and crush Nothings. But he will help out with melting down ores if the group has need of a Furnace Operator. This reminds him of his past though and he will only do so if there is a pressing need.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:37:21 am by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4