Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Martial Pacifism: Show criminals the error of their ways  (Read 792 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Martial Pacifism: Show criminals the error of their ways
« on: June 28, 2016, 02:57:06 pm »

With bandits, you basically have two options right now - kill them, or let them continue to terrorize citizens.  I think it would be fun to convince criminals that crime doesn't pay by beating them up and talking about it.  Perhaps using the argument system as well - by convincing a bandit of the value of law, they would renounce their life of crime.

Also, it should be possible to disband a bandit group altogether by reforming their leader or taking over the group - provided there isn't a less-easily convinced band member to take their place.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Martial Pacifism: Show criminals the error of their ways
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 08:27:20 pm »

There should be a wide variation of nonlethal punishments in Fortress mode, as well. Apart from imprisonment and (hopefully) a moderate beating, law-breakers could/should be subjected to things like public shaming (temporary removal of most clothing and/or beard, and/or pinned in the stocks or pillory for a time), flogging (easiest to code, just drag the victim to a public place before the beating), scarring, branding, or even maiming. The last 3 would most likely be reserved for invaders whom the player chooses to let go with a meaningful warning.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

DeCervantes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Martial Pacifism: Show criminals the error of their ways
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 07:08:31 am »

I would be happy to have the option to demand that they leave the place. This should then trigger a brawl or an outright no quarters battle, depending of the personality of the criminal, or them leaving peacefully if your reputation is high enough. If they decide to fight, you should be able to make the demand again once they have yielded, and they would automatically accept with a message like "I will do you what you wish, just spare my life".
I would also like to be able to have a clear way to tell the people in the town that the bandits or criminals terrorizing the town arr gone, but thats another topic.