Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stealing  (Read 1820 times)

Myth

• Bay Watcher
  • And ne forhtedon na
    • View Profile
Stealing
« on: June 28, 2016, 03:47:36 pm »

It would be great if thieves could extract the things of their victims direct of their bodys without anyone noticing nothing. Basically, a steal skill combined with the sneaking function.

Sorry for the mistakes, i speak spanish.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Stealing
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 04:00:41 pm »

Ah, yes.  You can almost do this already, but they'll notice you and it counts as a conflict.

'Pickpocket' deserves its own skill.  Complete with legendary pickpockets that could steal someone's clothes off of their back without them noticing...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 06:10:39 pm »

Complete with legendary pickpockets that could steal someone's clothes off of their back without them noticing...

I dunno.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 12:20:40 am »

Ah, yes.  You can almost do this already, but they'll notice you and it counts as a conflict.

'Pickpocket' deserves its own skill.  Complete with legendary pickpockets that could steal someone's clothes off of their back without them noticing...

It'd be pretty fantastic to play as thief if this was the case, and with the add-on that pickpocket as a skill determined profession as well.

It's important to be able to steal your own pants without you noticing (silly other game reference).

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 12:33:46 am »

It's important to be able to steal your own pants without you noticing (silly other game reference).

That's ridiculous.  That's not even funny.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 12:38:52 am »

This is a goal on the Dev Page.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 04:02:44 am »

Thieves should also prod people with eleven-foot poles. Just to check if they have anything worth stealing.

In all seriousness though, I'd hope that a potential pickpocket skill or any thieving skill is reliant on player ability moreso than character ability. Roleplay has a decent lifespan, but interactivity leans more towards game than simulation on that sliding scale.

Narrrz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 04:40:18 am »

Thief is already a profession, isn't it? you come across 'XXX, kobold master thief' in fortress mode occasionally.

I'd expect stealing to be a combination of both player and numerical skill if implemented. Like, stay behind your target, move slowly, use cover, etc.

your ambusher skill would increase as you approached unseen, with pickpocket increasing if you got close enough and made an attempt.