Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 180347 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1725 on: June 03, 2017, 07:13:36 pm »

Spoiler: @Cov (click to show/hide)
But, for better or worse, people want to talk about this, so this is me talking in as measured a way as I can. If that seems cold to you, I'm not bothered.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: June 03, 2017, 07:27:17 pm »

Quote from: greatorder
If they are 2nd and 3rd gen, they should have assimilated by now.

Also, are you serious? "If you kill your enemies, they win"
Surely you can't be such a walking meme as this.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: June 03, 2017, 07:29:10 pm »

Are you, Lagslayer? Do you really think that killing somebody won't piss off their relatives?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: June 03, 2017, 07:47:08 pm »

Integrated. Not assimilated.  The difference is what causes tensions.

And it's nth-generation immigrants that are the problem. The offspring, or offspring's offspring, who are probably being told (not entirely with integrity from the one telling) how the grass was greener on the previous side the fence. Not the original immigrants who knew what it was they were leaving, and at least once had a high opinion of life here, possibly still do.

It's not totally a current problem to solve. Bad/unhelpful attitudes in the past kept the families from properly integrating, or current rabble-rousers turn the impressionable youth off of the path of the (at least marginal) integration of the parents.

You can't demand homogeneity. It would just increase the pressures to de-conform. Also, the Jehovah's Witnesses a few doors down would suffer, and (as a non-theistic person, even before I consider my possible offset from the system's preferred universal constant) I'm not seriously looking to do that to them,

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: June 03, 2017, 07:55:25 pm »

Nobody's demanding homogenity (except maybe white supremacists, but that's another matter entirely), and it would fall straight into ISIS's message of a war of civilizations.

Also, we can't do anything about the past (as much as people like to strawman, "if X's parent's hadn't immigrated here, then Y wouldn't happen" (it'd just be someone else who ends up doing it)), but we can do something about the right now.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: June 03, 2017, 08:22:05 pm »

So long as we don't use "assimilation", we are thus in agreement.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: June 03, 2017, 08:25:17 pm »

Also, we can't do anything about the past (as much as people like to strawman, "if X's parent's hadn't immigrated here, then Y wouldn't happen" (it'd just be someone else who ends up doing it)), but we can do something about the right now.

Well you've been told about the fallacy you do too, "someone would end up doing it anyway" :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: June 03, 2017, 08:34:01 pm »

That is bad logic. If fewer came, fewer would be here to do these acts - more importantly, the groups which combine to support and create that ideology wouldn't exist.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: June 03, 2017, 08:50:21 pm »

Well you've been told about the fallacy you do too, "someone would end up doing it anyway" :P

I was thinking of it as a time paradox type problem, so, it's time paradox logic.

Too late. They're already here to stay. Why? Because they aren't the one's that are coming- they're the kids, and the kids of those kids, who grew up in the same places that you call home. Deporting them would be stripping them of any citizenship, and that is simply not allowed by your government. If you want to make a difference, you can ban immigration from the troublesome areas for the next... 40 years or so. That'll start making an impact on the number of potential terrorists.

Exactly, you still have to deal with the ones still there/here, and the obvious solutions like deporting them and/or stripping them of citizenship simply aren't politically workable.

A lot of solutions (that I've seen on the forum anyway) deal with those that can be deported, but not really any that deal with those that are still there, and can still make babies btw. (that last bit was tongue in cheek sarcasm).

Anyways, we have yet to know the identities of those behind this, wouldn't be surprised if they were also nth gen immigrants since that's the trend.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:51:57 pm by smjjames »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: June 03, 2017, 09:01:41 pm »

Quote from: greatorder
If they are 2nd and 3rd gen, they should have assimilated by now.

Also, are you serious? "If you kill your enemies, they win"
Surely you can't be such a walking meme as this.
What if your enemy is an ideology that thrives on martyrdom?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: June 03, 2017, 09:07:41 pm »

Homegrown/foreignly-indoctrinated seems to be the almost universal pattern of 'that kind of terrorist' in Britain.

The recent Manchester Bomber had close/recent family links to Libya, and trips there (and maybe Syria?), but a number of the people involved in similar activities haven't gone anywhere more foreign than Wales1, physically. Though with the power of the Internet they have travelled into a shared mindscape with fellow antagonists of all nationalities, and none.

Anyway, that's likely the issue behind this. But far too early to be anything but baldly speculative about this recent incident.

1 A bonus joke there for the etymologists amongst you!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: June 03, 2017, 09:17:32 pm »

Nobody's demanding homogeneity

Not by that name specifically.

Yet when you demand that people shouldn't be able to practice their culture, that people should be vetted according to whether their beliefs match the home country, and limitations on the visibility of said culture... Do you really need to say that?

I mean I guess I could say that all those people are white supremists and it isn't like the UK doesn't have its own issues with racism and rivals or possible exceeds that of the US... Yet I don't exactly think that is the case.

Yet let me see EXACTLY how many people in the UK are calling for homogeneity... and the numbers suggest... 38%. This is separate from the people in the UK who find that multiculturalism has been executed poorly (Which is extremely high. Yet "Multiculturalism has failed" and "Multiculturalism itself is bad" are two separate ideas though often spoken of in the same breath or as if they are the same)

Though... Oddly enough there is a split between party lines. apparently a solid majority of people in UKIP, they are also the people who most strongly believe that Muslims themselves are a dangerous entity.

Goodness the UK Independence Party sure does attract a very specific kind of person.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:33:04 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: June 03, 2017, 09:17:59 pm »

I still think there's some merit in the idea that the same sort of social disenfranchisement that leads to MRAs, alt-right etc (perhaps antifida too) could be at play with "homegrown" islamic activists. You have young men who feel disenfranchised and they'll glomp onto anything: the causes they join might be bullshit, but that doesn't mean the sense of disenfranchisement isn't real. It's a real issue, and we're seeing the results on various sides of politics.

The extremes of this on the right are that guy who gunned down a whole church full of black folks, or Timothy McVeigh level terrorists. Or the Joker cinema shooter in Colorado. People who are disassociated and want to cause carnage, but it's a little easier to self-rationalize when you can throw a "cause" label on it.

Or that guy in Portland who stabbed people. A guy who randomly stabs people against Allah might have exactly the same personality type as someone who randomly stabs people for Allah.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:32:49 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: June 03, 2017, 09:30:20 pm »

I still think there's some merit in the idea that the same sort of social disenfranchisement that leads to MRAs, alt-right etc (perhaps antifida too) could be at play with "homegrown" islamic activists. You have young men who feel disenfranchised and they'll glomp onto anything: the causes they join might be bullshit, but that doesn't mean the sense of disenfranchisement isn't real. It's a real issue, and we're seeing the results on various sides of politics.

The extremes of this on the right are that guy who gunned down a whole church full of black folks, or Timothy McVeigh level terrorists. Or the Joker cinema shooter in Colorado. People who are disassociated and want to cause carnage, but it's a little easier to self-rationalize when you can throw a "cause" label on it.

The Aurora Cinema shooter wasn't left or right anything, he was just absolutely crazy, though evidently coherent enough to rig up his apartment as one big booby trap.

I thought MRA (Mens Rights Activists) was just an ironic reactionary thing to Feminism? Could also be WMS (White Male Supremacy) cloaked in another name though.

However, the disenfranchisement is definetly a major thread through all of what we've seen. There also seems to be another thread where it seems like a lot of them are mentally ill in some way or another, but it's more likely that such people are just more vulnerable to ISIS's manipulations than an actual thread to follow.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: June 03, 2017, 09:34:08 pm »

MRAs are too much playing the victim card to be a new face for male supremacy. Male supremacists play the alpha-male card, MRAs are whiny betas.

MRAs are basically a type of postmodern feminism for men who feel alienated from society, it uses all the same types of rhetoric. They talk about feminazis/matriarchy the femocracy etc, they talk about misandry instead of misogyny, and how "the system" is stacked against men. They also talk about unfair outcomes: male suicide, males who suffer abuse, education system ingrained bias against boys, institutional rape of males. That's feminist speak except with genders flipped, it's not traditional masculinity.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:45:44 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 126