Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 179494 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1740 on: June 03, 2017, 09:44:54 pm »

MRAs are too much playing the victim card to be a new face for male supremacy. Male supremacists play the alpha-male card, MRAs are whiny betas.

MRAs are basically a type of postmodern feminism for men who feel alienated from society, it uses all the same types of rhetoric. They talk about feminazis/matriarchy the femocracy etc, they talk about misandry instead of misogyny, and how "the system" is stacked against men. That's feminist speak except with genders flipped, it's not traditional masculinity.

SJWs being reactionary to Feminism then.

Still, the SJW/MRA/Feminist/antifa types aren't usually terrorists though, you'd have to look back to the 70's at least, maybe 80's, for anything that closely resembles those.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:00:48 pm by smjjames »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: June 03, 2017, 10:03:30 pm »

MRAs are too much playing the victim card to be a new face for male supremacy. Male supremacists play the alpha-male card, MRAs are whiny betas.

MRAs are basically a type of postmodern feminism for men who feel alienated from society, it uses all the same types of rhetoric. They talk about feminazis/matriarchy the femocracy etc, they talk about misandry instead of misogyny, and how "the system" is stacked against men. That's feminist speak except with genders flipped, it's not traditional masculinity.

Still, the SJW/MRA/Feminist/antifa types aren't usually terrorists though, you'd have to look back to the 70's at least, maybe 80's, for anything that closely resembles those.

Well things pop up. Then again extremists exist in any political group.

I am sure if I looked hard enough I could find some sort of feminist killer (I specifically say that... because there are good examples of SJW and MRA murders/crimes. Yet I have no knowledge of a feminism motivated murder)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: June 03, 2017, 10:13:02 pm »

Well things pop up. Then again extremists exist in any political group.

I am sure if I looked hard enough I could find some sort of feminist killer (I specifically say that... because there are good examples of SJW and MRA murders/crimes. Yet I have no knowledge of a feminism motivated murder)

I'm sure there are some sort of feminist killer somewhere because people can and have killed each other over dumb stuff.

I mean actual terror incidents, but there haven't been any terroristic attacks by anybody left wing or left wing sympathising since, I dunno, the 70s. Nevermind the fact that the Democrats aren't a true left wing party. There are left wing parties, just that neither of the two major ones are.

Though the Dems are feeling the pull that wants to take them leftward.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: June 03, 2017, 11:30:55 pm »

Uh, I thought the ELF/ALF/PETA-loving shitbags were left wing? Not sure what the political identity of the various narcoterror groups were, or for that matter where the Tamil Tigers actually fell on the various political compasses out there.

Also didn't know MRA was actually a thing, thought it was just part of /pol/ leaking into the real world, but there's a big overlap between the "FUCK YEAH ANGLOSPHERE" crowd on there and the "fucking misandry!" crowd.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: June 03, 2017, 11:35:41 pm »

didn't know MRA was actually a thing

Arguably it isn't an actual thing.

It gets far more attention then it actually encompasses.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: June 04, 2017, 12:50:48 am »

Apparently some terrorists have decided to kill 26 people each day in London until they deal with air pollution:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/15/nearly-9500-people-die-each-year-in-london-because-of-air-pollution-study

(Is this mic on? Can we solve other problems by pretending terrorists did it and spending billions accordingly?)

But seriously, they're doing it for the attention; they aren't going to kill us all, they won't even be more deadly or disruptive than the rest of everyday life. Terrorism only feeds on stupid overreactions, so quit feeding it and move on with life. The only thing that will endanger you are the idiots who have decided to go along with their fear game, pretending they are enemies of the terrorists in a show of pointless bravado that simply feeds a cycle of hatred.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:01:26 am by alway »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: June 04, 2017, 04:25:19 am »

Some people here seem to think that banning immigration will somehow result in migration not taking place, and therefore, that eventually they'll only have to deal with n-generation migrants (....who technically wouldnt be migrants at all, but citizens, or am I missing something?)

This is based on thr faulty logic of 'making it a law will make it happen'.  But things are not so simple. Migrants WILL keep coming, in huge numbers, legally or not.  Just look at what takes place in the Mediterranean. What has been taking place for the last two decades, really.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: June 04, 2017, 04:34:02 am »

And clamping down on compassionate immigration (to coin a very loose and undefined term currently covering legal/quasi-legal/illegal forms equally) will clearly further stoke the embers already glowing in those "nth"ers about how 'their people' are being persecuted, and the system must therefore be smashed...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: June 04, 2017, 04:42:35 am »

and on the illegal immigrant's, as well.

Mind you, I'm not saying that a "doors wide open" policy will work either.

I don't think this problem has easy solutions, and the first step to finding one is recognizing this fact.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: June 04, 2017, 09:07:26 am »

I'd also note that not all Islamist terrorists have Muslim backgrounds. For example the Westminster attacker and the killers of Lee Rigby were actually converts, and we don't yet know the backgrounds of those involved in the latest incident. The poisonous ideology of terrorists can win over disaffected, violent young men of any religion.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: June 04, 2017, 09:12:08 am »

I think it's safe to say that they formed their ideology because of a large Muslim peer group throughout their life toting violent tenets. They may as well not have been converts in that regard. It's a cultural and religious mix quite potent when concentrated. I don't know how many rural terrorists there are, but I'd assume it's so insignificant a number to be practically zero.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: June 04, 2017, 09:17:51 am »

I think it's safe to say that they formed their ideology because of a large Muslim peer group throughout their life toting violent tenets. They may as well not have been converts in that regard. It's a cultural and religious mix quite potent when concentrated. I don't know how many rural terrorists there are, but I'd assume it's so insignificant a number to be practically zero.

Well, the big targets just happen to be in the cities and migrants also tend to gather in the urban/suburban areas. Not sure what you mean by 'rural terrorist' here, those with rural backgrounds?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: June 04, 2017, 09:39:44 am »

Hungerford, Dunblane, Lamplugh/Whitehaven? Smaller scale intention, but larger scale effect.  (Also disaffected middle-aged+ men, rather than youths, and definitely arguable that they intended to cause terror.  Fails the "terrorism" test mostly due to having no substantial aim beyond the single/serial act itself...)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: June 04, 2017, 09:52:49 am »

Also, we can't do anything about the past (as much as people like to strawman, "if X's parent's hadn't immigrated here, then Y wouldn't happen" (it'd just be someone else who ends up doing it)), but we can do something about the right now.

I'll just respond to this with my response to when you said this exact thing the last time.

How can you talk about fallacies with a straight face when you are making the argument that if this man would not have lived in the UK some other, completely unknowable, person, through completely unknowable means, would have just "done it instead". This is some shitty arse predeterminist logic you've got there. That kind of nonsense appeal-to-alternative-universes reasoning works great for all kinds of things. "If we had prevented him from owning a gun, somebody else would have accidently shot his kid while playing with it!" "If we hadn't built this pipeline without giving a damn about environmental concerns causing the destruction of this Indian holy ground and leaks into the drinking water, someosomeone else would have!" "If we hadn't released all these greenhouse gases and polluted the atmosphere, someone else just would have! Who? I dont know! Where? I don't know! Why? I don't know! When? I don't know! I don't know.That's the beauty of it, see, I don't have to know. I just have to say it would have happened anyway!"

Apparently some terrorists have decided to kill 26 people each day in London until they deal with air pollution:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/15/nearly-9500-people-die-each-year-in-london-because-of-air-pollution-study

(Is this mic on? Can we solve other problems by pretending terrorists did it and spending billions accordingly?)

But seriously, they're doing it for the attention; they aren't going to kill us all, they won't even be more deadly or disruptive than the rest of everyday life. Terrorism only feeds on stupid overreactions, so quit feeding it and move on with life. The only thing that will endanger you are the idiots who have decided to go along with their fear game, pretending they are enemies of the terrorists in a show of pointless bravado that simply feeds a cycle of hatred.

Please don't pretend that there is any kind of "us" in relation to terrorism in Europe that includes upperclass Americans in Texas.
Love, scriver~

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: June 04, 2017, 10:08:40 am »

In brief;

O, Lord, our God arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall.
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all.

One can always hold hope. This is a war, and it naturally calls the government and the security forces to action. But I do think that it is important to remember, and to have hope. These murderous traitors keep returning, and these attacks keep happening, but they must not become a state of normality; a force of nature that one must live with. That is what they become, in a practical sense. Hence why one must always remember that it should not be like this.
It is not an inevitable force of nature, or chastisement from above for sins of the past. They are enemies that mean to kill us. Enemies can be defeated.

I do apologise for my ramble. I have not contributed much by it. But I maintain that is it important to remember: this is happening. That does not mean that it should be allowed to happen.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 126