Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 180291 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #225 on: July 02, 2016, 08:23:37 pm »

We're waiting for more news I suppose.
Salt water?  Fertilizer?  What part of maryland were you in?  Were you drunk?
I don't drink, it was a semi, and we went from west virginia through delaware via Maryland, with a stop to unload on the far side of Baltimore I think?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 02, 2016, 08:27:15 pm »

Well it sounds like you were driving far away from the farmland but close to Baltimore harbor so I'm guessing you were smelling fish guts and garbage.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 02, 2016, 08:38:42 pm »

Makes sense, fun fact, the first time I saw the Atlantic was actually driving down 13 through that little spit of Virgina coming south from Maryland, which I later learned is actually part of an impact crater!

So back on topic Brexit might have a knock-on effect over here, via showing people how awful an idea protest votes can be. http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/how-brexit-convinced-me-to-vote-for-hillary-clinton-214006

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 02, 2016, 08:43:05 pm »

That URL literally makes me want to vomit at how fucking doomed our political reasoning is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 02, 2016, 08:48:41 pm »

Makes sense, fun fact, the first time I saw the Atlantic was actually driving down 13 through that little spit of Virgina coming south from Maryland, which I later learned is actually part of an impact crater!

So back on topic Brexit might have a knock-on effect over here, via showing people how awful an idea protest votes can be. http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/how-brexit-convinced-me-to-vote-for-hillary-clinton-214006
So that is why....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 02, 2016, 08:53:21 pm »

Yeah, it's pretty dumb sounding, but shit, we're both in the same situation, nobody really believed Brexit would go through last month, and nobody really believes Trump will get elected in a few months.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2016, 08:57:38 pm »

What the hell kind of correlation is that? I guess if you think Brexit means raaaaaaacism and Trump is Literally Hitler (TM), but that doesn't bode well for your reasoning in general.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2016, 08:58:59 pm »

It's not about hate, it's about probability.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 02, 2016, 09:03:39 pm »

What the hell kind of correlation is that? I guess if you think Brexit means raaaaaaacism and Trump is Literally Hitler (TM), but that doesn't bode well for your reasoning in general.
I strictly meant that all the magic 8-balls said signs point to bremain and hillary, so people put in protest votes and were later shocked by it.

Trump is by far worse than Brexit will ever be, there are positive things that can come from Brexit, I don't see that shit with a Trump presidency.

Assuming that it's safe to throw out a protest vote because obviously he won't win now has a direct example of that backfiring.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 02, 2016, 09:08:25 pm »

Why not vote "protest vote" instead of Trump?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2016, 09:20:55 pm »

So the similarities begin and end at "nobody expects it"? I suppose I'll just throw in some Monty Python references while we're at it.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 02, 2016, 09:22:53 pm »

How many major elections or referendums (referendii, referenda?) can you think of which wound up being so far from predictions, and which can be placed at the feet of protest voters?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #237 on: July 02, 2016, 09:25:36 pm »

I don't think we can place Brexit at the feet of protest voters

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2016, 09:35:29 pm »

I could swear I remember seeing something about a portion of the voters being surprised that it won, including some who were "voting to flip the bird" more or less, but it was also in the last thread and it exploded into a bunch of back and forth after that. Was I mistaken there, I may well be.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 02, 2016, 10:48:11 pm »

Poland stands with the UK, wants them back in EU. Poland very strongly opposes EU federalism but benefits greatly from the economic cooperation it fosters, so with the UK gone they've pretty much got to choose between being sucked into the "ever closer union" against their wishes and losing easy access to the European market the Polish economy depends on.

Being Poland truly is suffering.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 126