Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 179702 times)

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 10:39:00 pm »

"Ah yes, but no true Leave supporter would support a second referendum."
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 10:39:59 pm »

Ok lets just pretend this wasn't Brexit. Lets just pretend it was something mildly evil.
Real subtle comparing Brexit WITH THE HOLOCAUST. You've already taken your stance on all else. Ffs.

*EDIT
Luckily Brexit is FAR away from any of those things.
Oh, you edited this in. How great, that qualifies comparing migration control with racist elimination of undesirables, the bombing of banks, and the holocaust.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:42:17 pm by Loud Whispers »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2016, 10:41:19 pm »

Ok lets just pretend this wasn't Brexit. Lets just pretend it was something mildly evil.
Real subtle comparing Brexit WITH THE HOLOCAUST. You've already taken your stance on all else. Ffs.

My intent was to give an extreme example of this being an evil referendum.

That this STILL should be enacted.

Unless... Brexit really is deporting people O_O Nooo... that can't be true...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/15/three-million-eu-citizens-in-the-uk-could-be-deported-if-britons/

No no no, don't believe you!

Oh, you edited this in. How great, that qualifies comparing migration control with racist elimination of undesirables, the bombing of banks, and the holocaust.

I do a lot of edits. Especially when I could be misunderstood (doesn't help)

AND I was writing in the Stay perspective. Not a neutral one :P
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:45:21 pm by Neonivek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2016, 10:45:49 pm »

My intent was to give an extreme example of this being an evil referendum.
That this STILL should be enacted.
Oh yeah, sure. I'm just supposed to take your word for it that your comparisons were founded with innocent intentions, that your intent was just to portray Brexit as evil, literally Hitler, out of purely academic concern, because as we all know, nothing helps debate like painting everyone you don't like as Hitler.

Unless... Brexit really is deporting people O_O Nooo... that can't be true...
TIL immigration control = holocaust

*EDIT
I do a lot of edits. Especially when I could be misunderstood (doesn't help)
It is incredibly annoying replying to a post, only to submit it and find the post has changed in meaning.

AND I was writing in the Stay perspective. Not a neutral one :P
Does it look like I care about your neutrality to care about you comparing Brexit with the holocaust? Do you even understand why the original thread got locked? It's because of this, all discussion reduced to one side saying the other is composed of the vilest grime, not fit to coat hell's walls.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:52:42 pm by Loud Whispers »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2016, 10:47:29 pm »

I am going to assert that no one thought I was comparing Brexit to the holocaust or economic suicide.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 10:51:43 pm »

I am going to assert that no one thought I was comparing Brexit to the holocaust or economic suicide.
And I'm going to disagree, because I am someone who saw you make a lot of assumptions about the laws and attitudes of my country and freaking compare it to bombing banks and committing mass genocide. What did men like this die for? Ha, fuck their finest hour, they stood in the way of the Commission, that means they're genocidal nazis.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 11:09:41 pm »

And I'm going to disagree, because I am someone who saw you make a lot of assumptions about the laws and attitudes of my country and freaking compare it to bombing banks and committing mass genocide. What did men like this die for? Ha, fuck their finest hour, they stood in the way of the Commission, that means they're genocidal nazis.

He didn't die for anything. He survived WW2

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2016, 11:13:08 pm »

Men like him did not, hundreds of thousands lost. It's no USSR, but it was much.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:29 pm »

Men like him did not, hundreds of thousands lost. It's no USSR, but it was much.

So they died to... vote for Brexit in WW2?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2016, 11:18:56 pm »

They didn't fight to be compared to the men they defeated, in death or legacy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2016, 11:24:00 pm »

They didn't fight to be compared to the men they defeated, in death or legacy.

I don't think you want to engage me on this battlefield. "Revisionist WW2" is one of my favorite topics. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2016, 11:28:04 pm »

Keep your revisionism confined to the Armchair General General

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2016, 11:37:14 pm »

Also I am making a prediction...

Captain Britain is going to die as a result of Brexit, or turn evil, or be replaced by a darker version of himself.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2016, 11:41:53 pm »

Who?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 12:03:48 am »

Citation please Frump, when did Boris Johnson go on the record to say young people are naive and stupid, so we must have another referendum to get out of the EU if we lose?
Credit to johnson, he actually did say the referendum would stick*... after apparently being in favor of cumming's (who seems to have been one of the major proponents for a second referendum strategy? Campaign director of Vote Leave? Hell if I really know, I'm catching up with all this mess) plan until pressed on it, though it seems like he was fairly quiet about it beforehand. Y'can look up the news and whatnot noting it yourself... I've got bugger all idea what you'd consider acceptable sources among UK media, and it's been a pain in the ass just to piece together that much with all the more recent news clogging everything up.

Said bugger all about naivety or whatever, though, just like you didn't in the post I quoted. Just that a fair few came out in support of a second referendum in the case of a loss, that there was indeed support from the leave campaign for saying the first was "wrong", just as there's support in the remain side now.

Already more excuses.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dealing with an entity that accepts referendums when they agree with them, and denies them when they don't, it is sickening.
You... do realize that graph kinda' undermines your point, right? Twice as often as they ran a second referendum, they accepted the anti-EU results, if those dots are anything approaching complete or accurate (it's kinda' hard to tell, but *shrugs*). And as far as I know, voters changing their mind a year or so later is... not exactly unusual, or some kind of sign of malice. S'really why you kinda' do stuff like that, because people do, and with major issues it's oft better to make sure they're not going to before settling on a decision, especially when there's not a major advantage to one choice or another (and you'll note with all of those, the eventual yes vote was a notably larger margin -- 57 vs 51, 63 vs 54, 67 vs 53... well, assuming the other rest of the 100% was nos, anyway. It'd be even worse if it was just yes vs yes instead of for/against EU, too.). That thing really kinda' looks like they were doing the right thing in those cases, if perhaps not in others -- that a second referendum actually was called for.

... actually, nice treaty, the second was on a changed amendment. Lisbon, yes vote came after renegotiations. Denmark's only came after exceptions were granted. So, uh. It wasn't the EU accepting referendums only after they agreed with it, or something like that. It was the second referendum being in the face of changed circumstances, generally addressing the population's concerns, and then said population changing their mind.

Why?
... well, there's at least three different things why could be directed at in there, so the answer in order... the why to the longer wait is to let things shake out more, to have people be able to decide looking at longer term effects instead of the immediate fallout. The why it's looking like there's fair odds A50 isn't going to be invoked is because one of the apparent major components of the leave campaign was an immediate invocation, and instead we're seeing a great deal of feet dragging, backpeddling, and "woah, hold on now" responses from y'all's politicians (the latter of which is also why it's non-negligible that if something doesn't happen now, it won't for a while -- a lot of your politicians got a taste of what could be involved with the exit, and don't seem to like it). The why to making it binding and whatnot is to make sure it actually gets bloody done -- as noted, it's looking a fair bit like your politicians are going to try to brush the results off to one extent or another.

*E: Well, he said "Out is Out", at least. Didn't notice him explicitly saying there'd be no attempts at a second go if leave didn't manage it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 12:11:36 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 126