Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 177677 times)

Urist Reborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2016, 07:13:17 pm »

I dunno, I feel like I am the one doing something wrong here. >_< and it isn't nice to kind of say that about people. Then again my temper has subsided so I don't feel so ranty.
You actually seem really polite when angry
But you think Canadians don't have a culture?...

Sorry, carry on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #316 on: July 07, 2016, 07:23:22 pm »

@FD That deserves a full reply later FD but I'm well sleepy, but by god FD I feel retarded for not taking into account African American ancestors not having a choice in whether they lived in the land of freedom
That's gotta leave generational scars

So LW, the takeaway I get from your discussion of the sads of British multiculturalism is basically, "Britain was much better before I got here."  ???
Nope lol (well it was getting worse, but I promise I probably wasn't to blame), I talk more about the civic side of things in Europol thread about the impact of mass migration and gentrification on London, but ITT it's not too relevant on this derail, so I suppose it gives the impression of muh good dark age. I cherish Britain, Britons and I genuinely find it a source of amusement that even our most fringe jihadi will proudly call themselves Al-Britani, cos it means even our most extreme elements of society have integrated well. They are dysfunctional, yes, but the dysfunctional society was manifested by those who describe themselves peculiarly.
The takehome would be its kinda shit that this was all done by Politicians who saw multiculturalism, mass migration and diversity as innate goods to be sought with no plan or even objective beyond the policy itself as an inherent good - not even consulting their electorate, or addressing their concerns, acting like villainous snobs holding their electorate in contempt at the obvious truth that migration is good because migration is good. And at the end of the day, that doesn't even matter much anymore. Multiculturalism failed and we moved on, everyone is integrating, but we're still dealing with the permanent consequences - one of which immediately coming to mind is there are now two British identities in Britain, both deserving of their place imo, of which I want to preserve both, seeking them not to replace each other as happened in London. I think over time a lot more of my ideological attention has focused on trying to get reconciling and often conflicting groups in Briton to not destroy each other through existence or action, like why I support Theresa May's effort to reconcile Remain and Leave even if it risks concessions to the European Union. Given how inimical I have also become towards the EU's existence, that should speak for itself lel
Oh yeah, something about controlling immigration, I think I forgot to make that point. Just control mind you, I think migration volume is something you have to decide on a situational basis

But you think Canadians don't have a culture?...

Sorry, carry on.
OH GOD
It's true! XD

I'd apologize but I don't want to culturally appropriate Canada

If I had quoted the OED (or dictionary.com or MW) you could have said I was picking and choosing. I was giving you the opportunity to see the whole set, at the risk of your browser being given a bias that mine did not have (or maybe I had a different one).
Nah fam wouldn't have said that, no one wins in semantics, it's a cooperative effort to finding out what the hell we all mean ;D
Really I don't buy the latter bit though, basically the same as linking lmgtfy

At worst, the CED suggests a 'country' destination (suggesting prior occupants), but diluted greatly by the ambiguous "or place" (different part of the origin territory? Unclaimed land?) so I don't think you've negated my point to you. If that was your intention.
Yeah immigrant seems to be the more accurate term I was looking for, migrant seems to be the more neutral one that just refers to one who does the act of moving from a place to another for work reasons, or as the OED defines it, work or better living conditions

But my apologies for trying to be helpful. I shall go back to reading what you say (as always) but resisting the temptation to reply even when I apparently agree with you.
I don't get this m9

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 07, 2016, 08:29:21 pm »

That's what you get for too much tolerance i guess.
Look at Poland it's as intolerant as you can get. In fact despite being right next to germany the immigrants give it a wide berth and despite the mass immigration the muslim population there is at 35k and shrinking.
People in general got triggered by the recent terrorist attacks and attitudes towards muslims dropped accordingly.
So far there was no terrorist attacks in Poland (Last one was a bomb exploding in a train station killing 30 people or so... back in 1939) but i have a feeling that if one happens the barely contained hatred will spill and turn into lynch mobs out to get anyone vaguely muslim.

And of course there are tensions between "our" muslims that lived in Poland for generations and the immigrant variety.

Quote from: Wikipedia
There's an ongoing conflict between Polish native Sunni Muslim Lipka Tatars, who have a unique approach towards Islam and have been living in Poland for 600 years, and an increasingly vocal group of mainly foreign-born and foreign-sponsored, but also native-born convert, group of Sunni Muslims who adhere to Wahhabi movement. The conflict divides country's Sunni Muslims and causes bureaucratic confusion, as both sides lay claim to representation of country's Sunni Muslims. The "native born" Sunni Muslims (Lipka Tatars), run Muzułmański Związek Religijny w Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej (Muslim Religious Union in the Polish Republic), and "foreign born" Sunni Muslims run Liga Muzułmańska w Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej (Muslim League in the Polish Republic). The latter is mainly based upon foreigners living in the coutry, such as Arabs, Pakistanis, Chechens etc. Liga Muzułmańska is also a branch of a worldwide Muslim Brotherhood organization

So yeah... they just had to start shit because the Lipkas were not hardcore enough for them. I wouldn't be surprised if they consider Lipkas "Kufr" and secretly already marked them all for death.
Thankfully it didn't get violent... yet. Mainly because Poland is becoming more and more Orwellian and starting shit means you go wherever you came from.
The new law gives the state security service the right to conduct surveillance of foreign citizens for up to three months without prior court approval.
It allows for suspects to be held for 14 days without charges but with court approval, expanding the current period of 48 hours a suspect can be held without charges.
The regulation also makes it easier for foreigners to be deported if considered a threat, and regulates the sale and usage of pay-as-you-go SIM cards, which are now sold freely and anonymously.
Critics say the legislation gives the secret services excessive powers, and see the move as part of the ruling party's efforts to strengthen its grip on key institutions.
Rights group Amnesty International described the bill as dangerous, saying it gives "seemingly unlimited powers" to Poland's intelligence services.

And of course what other country in the EU would pull off crap like this?

Quote from: Wikipedia
In May, 2016, shortly before the World Youth Day 2016, police in Kraków asked foreigners, mainly among the Muslim community, in the city if they "know any terrorists?"
I'm quite sure Poland truly is the gemstone in the crown of anti liberal thinking.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:33:34 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 07, 2016, 09:26:11 pm »

Is "Pakistani-Brit" or "Polish-Brit" a thing?

I mean shit, if you moved over here, LW, and spawned in whatever fashion you people do (it's ok to say that, you can't be racist against Brits!) you might find them being called British-Americans, maybe ElDub-Americans... Bant-Americans, you get the idea.

I do love that you people ran around the world dispensing british culture left and right at the end of a sword or gun, and then complain when other people ask if they can take their culture and come crash on your couch.

Oh, if we had to give back Texas, I'm pretty sure they'd want California and Nevada too... we could probably keep Arizona, I doubt they would want it, but at least a large chunk of Texas is fit for human habitation without spending vast amounts of money, effort, and throwing water at the sand while screaming "GROW!" over and over again.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 07, 2016, 09:34:44 pm »

I do love that you people ran around the world dispensing british culture left and right at the end of a sword or gun, and then complain when other people ask if they can take their culture and come crash on your couch.

No it makes perfect sense. The British believes their culture was the absolute best... So much so that they had a sworn duty to not only share it with the world but also morally required to force it upon lesser cultures through any means necessary.

Why would such a culture that believes in that ever want to intermingle with other cultures?

Just look at some of their more segregated colonies where they basically instituted a aristocracy of rich British people, keeping out the natives for years (often even today still having the gap between the two)

If one were facetious or misanthropic we could just say that their issues with multiculturalism is just holdovers from their imperial days. Wanting to keep other cultures at bay while at the same time exploiting them for their own gain.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:36:49 pm by Neonivek »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 07, 2016, 10:09:54 pm »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 07, 2016, 10:34:54 pm »

...but now we've got the recipe...

He has a point.  I was talking with two other white people today about how we could totally open an indian restaurant.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2016, 10:47:21 pm »

I mean, British-Japanese-Korean curry (it disseminated in that pattern) is its own branch of the food. Only a familial relation to the curries made in other parts of the world, in the same way that Italian "pizza" or Chicago deep-dish might be tangentially related to the creation of immigrants living in NYC, and vaguely resembles it in some regards, but are functionally different foods which happens to hit some similar notes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 08, 2016, 03:58:57 am »

LW, I just wanted to chime in re: multiculturalism. You say that "Saying multiculturalism has failed means just that", but in my experience, multiculturalism is a very ill-defined term, whose exact meaning vary from place to place, from "Letting anyone not of my culture/race in" (I know you didn't mention race, but some people do use that way), to a bunch of other stuff. In the French context, "multiculturalism" usually refers to what is seen as the "Anglo-saxon" approach of letting various communities segregate and live side-by-side rather than going for a more melting pot approach for exemple. I think Merkel meant something like that too when she used the term.

So yeah, multiculturalism isn't clearly defined, its meaning change from country to country and you should take any statement using it with a layer of interpretation.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #324 on: July 08, 2016, 04:54:28 pm »

There are Pakistanis, British who are Pakistani by heritage, less so with Poles
Reason is is probably cos citizenship, and Poles become white British if they integrate

I mean shit, if you moved over here, LW, and spawned in whatever fashion you people do (it's ok to say that, you can't be racist against Brits!)
Ayyy lmao I'm not English, you just became racist
Go back to Amerikkka with your white people, shrekmate nazis

you might find them being called British-Americans, maybe ElDub-Americans... Bant-Americans, you get the idea.
#notallbants

Hahaha, you know shitehoc all about British history then, you can't dispense culture through a bayonet - nah, that's the truly terrifying thing, being conquered before the soldiers arrive. It'd be easier if culture was something you could spread through the sword, that'd mean you could fight it in an organized manner.
Reminds me of that one Nepalese King who I'm gonna paraphrase, EIC wanted their merchants to have access through Nepal to get at the Kashmir goat wool in Tibet, the King was all: That is a reasonable request, but once merchants are here, their goods will follow, then the missionaries will follow, then converts will follow - then bayonets will follow. At which point the EIC started the hashtag #nepalforuk #no2isolation, making jokes about Hindu IndoAryan Kings ruling over Buddhist Nepali, utterly molesting history to make points about the present :P

I'm gonna start with what you think's being complained about, cos you're just repeating current year man's basic bitch bants there - one of the things I've pretty consistently said for years now is that you can't get mad at people who your whites have invited xD
I never got the logic in this, like German politicians inviting millions of immigrants to Germany and then blaming the immigrants, wtf are they on lol
Then there's the exportation of culture throughout the British Empire, I can't go too much in depth on this as it varies according to time period, governance change and country predecessors, but boy is that one I am tempted to start a thread over in future, Bay12 will have a history general if it does not already have one. It is quite funny drawing parallels, as painful as anachronisms are. Canada, Cyprus, Nigeria, India, Malaya and Britain itself, cover the social engineering done and cultural exchange strategies done in these countries, you can pretty much cover all of them that weren't pioneered by ancient Empires. Murrica prolly deserves special mention for taking old strategies and hyping them into overdrive lol

I have no quarrel with the English or Scots or Welsh doing their own thing if they respect ethnic Britons, likewise the reverse is true. As it stands now having two British identities is something to balance, but as its noticed, we are moving on from the dark days where Oxbridge MPs stuck their head in the sand and pretended everything would be ok if we just ignored it. The two British identities are both British and do not occupy the same human ecological niches, so keeping them from replacing the other seems altogether incredibly achievable. Most importantly, an end is being put to Europeanization, especially given that the fookin white males are not gonna get easy access to the UK anymore

Oh, if we had to give back Texas, I'm pretty sure they'd want California and Nevada too... we could probably keep Arizona, I doubt they would want it, but at least a large chunk of Texas is fit for human habitation without spending vast amounts of money, effort, and throwing water at the sand while screaming "GROW!" over and over again.
Your problem is not for lack of arable land, your farmers have science
It's probably more that Texas is Texas, meaning you have to be acclimatised to the surface of the sun

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 08, 2016, 05:00:02 pm »

you can't dispense culture through a bayonet

>_> well then stop trying.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #326 on: July 08, 2016, 05:12:55 pm »

you can't dispense culture through a bayonet
>_> well then stop trying.
???
I don't own bayonets. For seconds, I'm not minister of culture, media and sports. For thirds, I wouldn't endorse ideas that don't work ;]

Soon Neo, UKIP shall send their bayonet squadrons to Canada, to convert everyone to the Queen

*EDIT
Oh wait, no turns out you can spread culture through a bayonet.
It's highly situational though
As two of the soldiers provided fire support, Cpl Jones prepared a hand grenade for the final assault. He raced towards an alley and was about to throw the grenade but said he realised that the buildings were occupied so put the grenade away. But the speed, aggression and audacity of his response caused the insurgents to fall back in disarray.
Good Lord, collateral damage avoided through smart thinking and bravery
That's rare
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 05:19:00 pm by Loud Whispers »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #327 on: July 08, 2016, 05:27:32 pm »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 08, 2016, 05:30:16 pm »

There are Pakistanis, British who are Pakistani by heritage, less so with Poles
Reason is is probably cos citizenship, and Poles become white British if they integrate
That's why I asked, wasn't sure how it's handled there for sure. Over here you can be an American, or a State-an/ean/er/(ite?), or a parent-ethnicity-American, or a parent-ethnicity, or naturalized parent-ethnicity, or some self-chosen moniker if you wish. Melting pot and all.

I mean shit, if you moved over here, LW, and spawned in whatever fashion you people do (it's ok to say that, you can't be racist against Brits!)
Ayyy lmao I'm not English, you just became racist
Go back to Amerikkka with your white people, shrekmate nazis
I never said English, I said Britbongs, and I'm more of a tan shade (almost half native american) anyways.

I'm gonna start with what you think's being complained about, cos you're just repeating current year man's basic bitch bants there - one of the things I've pretty consistently said for years now is that you can't get mad at people who your whites have invited xD
See above, half my family tree came over here and said "welp, this is ours now" and at some point started fucking the natives after they got tired of killing them.
Then there's the exportation of culture throughout the British Empire, I can't go too much in depth on this as it varies according to time period, governance change and country predecessors, but boy is that one I am tempted to start a thread over in future, Bay12 will have a history general if it does not already have one. It is quite funny drawing parallels, as painful as anachronisms are. Canada, Cyprus, Nigeria, India, Malaya and Britain itself, cover the social engineering done and cultural exchange strategies done in these countries, you can pretty much cover all of them that weren't pioneered by ancient Empires. Murrica prolly deserves special mention for taking old strategies and hyping them into overdrive lol
I was mostly just teasing you but that does actually sound like an interesting thread. I'm a big fan of reading history from multiple sources, can't trust any single source for everything.

I have no quarrel with the English or Scots or Welsh doing their own thing if they respect ethnic Britons, likewise the reverse is true. As it stands now having two British identities is something to balance, but as its noticed, we are moving on from the dark days where Oxbridge MPs stuck their head in the sand and pretended everything would be ok if we just ignored it. The two British identities are both British and do not occupy the same human ecological niches, so keeping them from replacing the other seems altogether incredibly achievable. Most importantly, an end is being put to Europeanization, especially given that the fookin white males are not gonna get easy access to the UK anymore
I learned that one of my family names ties back to the silly early ideas about how some Scots were more "negrified" than others, I was always confused by "black man of the moors" before I learned about that.

Your problem is not for lack of arable land, your farmers have science
It's probably more that Texas is Texas, meaning you have to be acclimatised to the surface of the sun
I was talking about Las Vegas, the stupidest fucking place in the entire country, yes, dumber than anywhere you might have thought of at first. The damn city was built and sustained by draining the lake nearby into the desert basically, and they truck water in now with the end result of throwing it at the sand and wondering why it still hasn't magically worked.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #329 on: July 08, 2016, 05:56:01 pm »

That's why I asked, wasn't sure how it's handled there for sure. Over here you can be an American, or a State-an/ean/er/(ite?), or a parent-ethnicity-American, or a parent-ethnicity, or naturalized parent-ethnicity, or some self-chosen moniker if you wish. Melting pot and all.
If you melted down everyone into one people why aren't they one people?

I never said English, I said Britbongs, and I'm more of a tan shade (almost half native american) anyways.
Mein seides

See above, half my family tree came over here and said "welp, this is ours now" and at some point started fucking the natives after they got tired of killing them.
If you want to hold the sins of your ancestors, you hold them, they're not mine

I was mostly just teasing you but that does actually sound like an interesting thread. I'm a big fan of reading history from multiple sources, can't trust any single source for everything.
Trust nothing! Nothing! :D
And that's only a half-joke, or half truth. I suppose depending on how optimistic you are lol

I learned that one of my family names ties back to the silly early ideas about how some Scots were more "negrified" than others, I was always confused by "black man of the moors" before I learned about that.
Oh what, the pastiest people alive? The freaking June heatwave hospitalized dozens of Scots with sunburn under a shocking 20*C sun
The only stuff I can find in regards to all else are the rasta archives who have ideas like Shakespeare not being Shakespeare, Joseph Kony being indestructible and Caesar being black
Sounds like exactly the sort of revisionism white people come up with

I was talking about Las Vegas, the stupidest fucking place in the entire country, yes, dumber than anywhere you might have thought of at first. The damn city was built and sustained by draining the lake nearby into the desert basically, and they truck water in now with the end result of throwing it at the sand and wondering why it still hasn't magically worked.
Nah, Las Vegas has got nothing on Dubai. It is hilarious talking to emigres from Dubai, who say literally everywhere else on Earth is better. Best description was from some guy who went on a 3 min rant about how Dubai was a stupid city that shouldn't exist and only exists because it was the capital of the Najd tribe, had no rivers, water, little rain, the sand storms destroy cars, it can be 50*C hot and without oil money, everyone would die
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 126